Matrix Revolutions Ending - SPOILERS PROBABLE

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PersefonePotter
Yes, I know there is a poll for the movie in general, but I wanna see if there were others who had such distaste for the ending as I did.

I put the last choice up just to see if anyone would pick it. smile

JediHDM
I picked wonderful, because it was. It was the best ending for this trilogy, for this iteration of the matrix

burlyman
happywonderful also ...'THEY RUINED IT!!! DIE BROTHERS DIE!!!!' is a tad harsh, dont you think?

PersefonePotter
Well, I didn't pick it.... but let's just see if anyone else does.....

xeous
Wonderful.

SpikeSpiegel
Yeah it was wonderful, but there is still the question of what happens to the survivers now? I wanted to know if Morph and Niobe got back together again, like it hinted at, and various other useless information not answered.

Velaius

priestjim
I picked up simply good because I WANTED MORE MOVIE! 2h is not even close to enough.

mainframe
i picked wonderfull aswell as i thought even though it was sooo sad sad it was a great movie

dave123
very interesting, Velaius....... i'll have to think about that one

Velaius
actually i posted on the wrong thread and just deleted it =P

Lord Soth
I picked good but not great, b/c it was a very fitting end, but it left WAY too many questions unanswered, which will lead to the (inevitable) 4th Matrix

Bicnarok
If neo and Trinity die I dont wanna see it

Korri
i want Mr Cuddles back!!

(omg did i just say that out loud?) embarrasment

JediHDM
smiddy or Neo?

Korri
Smiddy? Mr Cuddles? yuck!! no!!

PersefonePotter
Okay... I got lost.... WTF is Mr Cuddles??

burlyman
laughing

Korri
oh...my....gawd

i scare myself sometimes!!

JKozzy
laughing out loud

kalantiaw
good, but not great... as lord soth said, too many questions unanswered... they coulda made the ending like rotk, without being longwinded (rotk was the longest ending i ever saw, on the other hand, every loose end was tied)... and when i learned that there's gonna be a matrix online game,revo was just something to hype up another chapter in the matrix franchise...

Ice_Lightningo3
I would say I absolutely hated it...but I'm scared you will all beat me up...please don't! confused

kalantiaw
you're entitled to your opinion... *swings bat at ice's head*

just kidding happy ...

Ice_Lightningo3
kalantiaw...do you fancy me?

kalantiaw
what the f@$#% is that suppose to mean..? you do know i'm a guy right..? and it just happened that i make some references to your posts... nothing "fancy" about that...

BioLogos
To get back to the topic at hand (enough "fancying"wink:

It seems that people have two main problems with the Revolutions ending:
1) they don't like the fact that Neo and Trinity die.
2) they feel that there are too many unanswered questions.

In terms of Neo and Trinity, I don't think that there was any other way it COULD end and keep true to itself. Given all the "Christ" analogies, he HAD to sacrifice himself to save humankind, and it was Trinity's death that made him free to do that. I think that this ending is the best evidence that The Bros did NOT "sell out" to commercial interests.

In terms of the unanswered questions: By itself, the existence of "questions" does not bother me -- great works of literature and art ALL leave unanswered questions (why does the Mona Lisa smile???). Great art is great in part because these questions engage the observer and make the experience of the art so much deeper than if you just looked at it and said "It's pretty".

Having said this, I do wonder whether some of the issues were left more unclear than was meant. For example, I think that many people would have appreciated clearer evidence that the war IS over (at least for now??), and if so, a clearer explanation of WHY Neo's sacrifice would cause the machines to end the war. It is only when you understand the answers to these questions that the ending is triumphant, if still tragic. I think that most people who saw the movie once did NOT understand the answers to these questions and so left the theaters feeling very let down.

I'd really like to see an "extended version" of Revolutions.... TTT was MUCH better with the additional material, and I'm wondering whether some re-editing might help Revolutions out a bit as well...

BioLogos
To get back to the topic at hand (no more fancying):

It seems that people have two main problems with the Revolutions ending:
1) they don't like the fact that Neo and Trinity die.
2) they feel that there are too many unanswered questions.

In terms of Neo and Trinity, I don't think that there was any other way it COULD end and keep true to itself. Given all the "Christ" analogies, he HAD to sacrifice himself to save humankind, and it was Trinity's death that made him free to do that. I think that this ending is the best evidence that The Bros did NOT "sell out" to commercial interests.

In terms of the unanswered questions: By iself, the existence of "questions" does not bother me -- great works of literature and art ALL leave unanswered questions (why does the Mona Lisa smile???). Great art is great in part because these questions engage the observer and make the experience of the art so much deeper than if you just looked at it and said "It's pretty".

Having said this, I do wonder whether some of the issues were left more unclear than was meant. For example, I think that many people would have appreciated clearer evidence that the war IS over (at least for now??), and if so, a clearer explanation of WHY Neo's sacrifice would cause the machines to end the war. It is only when you understand the answers to these questions that the ending is triumphant, if still tragic. I think that most people who saw the movie once

Lil Seraph
I ending was crap, but the more i think about it the better it gets. does that happen to anyone else. I've seen it twice.

BioLogos
First -- I apologize for the repeated post above -- I was having network problems last night.

> Lil Seraph "the more i think about it the better it gets."

I also didn't like it at first -- I felt awful until I thought about it. Maybe there was no way to avoid this response, but I do wonder whether the Bros really meant for so many people to have this response (including those who LOVE the Matrix and LIKE to think about it).

As it says above, perhaps some altered editing would help???? Has anyone heard anything about whether this is likely?? (I'm NOT asking for a change in the ending, just a little "fill in" so it is a bit easier to connect at least SOME of the dots...)

jetzhere101
i chose wonderful bcoz ultimately if one lays down all the thoughts then he/she wud find this is the only ending probable.......

Thomas Anderson
I picked good but not great. I was disappointed first (and only) time I saw it. (I want to see it again, but the longer I wait, the better it'll be). And I hope for it to be better next time - Reloaded was, because first time I saw it, I hated the Zion scene. But on DVD, I knew that once that bit was over, it was all fantastic from there on.

I can't think of a better way myself to end it (not creative enough), but I was hoping for a bit more.

mook
i think its good that w.bros allowed the w.bros to do the ending they wanted.

i think the ambiguity is refreshing to see- i dont like being spoon-fed what to think all the time.

i think it separates the people who really get into the underlying ideas and themes of the trilogy etc from the people who just wanted to see an action-y movie.

as Lil Seraph said "the more i think about it the better it gets."

sum1butno1
I thought it was great. Frankly, I ...... didn't really like the Matrix movies until I saw Revos...... I'm so ashamed. embarrasment http://images.killermovies.com/forums/moresmilies/sadwalk.gif

But yeah! It gets so much better as you fall deeper into the rabbit-hole! I love it!

AliasNeo15
I think it would have been better if Smith took over Neo, and then that Smith took over the other smith and it turned into Neo. Then all the Smiths would die of a heart attack. This would serve two purposes. An obvious one would be that all the smiths would be gone and the other would be that there would be no humans for the machines to get their energy from. Then the humans would be all by themselves.yes

Packetrat
The reason I thought the end of the matrix trilogy really blew was because it WAS so fabricated directly from a template model; it was so unoriginal. It seemed hurried to me. What was original was the first movie, then they decided to make the trilogy. Why three movies? Because it fit the overall template pattern of the rest of the trilogy. There are no more christian references than there are references to any other known mythology. The story took a template and applied a thin layer of special effects and modern cultural jargon, and POOF! we have a winner. Did I like the movies? Yes, very much. The ending was just way too underdone and way too molded from the template. The death of Neo and Trinity was not alluding to christ, it was very clear that life, like the story, was meant to end. And it will be retold again, as another blockbuster movie with a different cultural spin.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.