Names

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix
What significance do the names of the characters have?

Phoenix
Fleur Delacour = flower of the heart

tigereyes456
umm do you know how to spell or speak french, and i can't remember if this is in the book. But her name is meant to sound like" a floweer from the heart" but i don't think it really means that!

SlayerChick1188
Got these from fronskiefeint.com

Sirius Black: Sirius, also called the Dog Star, is the brightest star in the sky

Cedric Diggory: Diggory means "Lost one"

Rubeus Hagrid: One of the early Greek gods was the giant of jewels, or in Greek, Hag rid Rubes, with Hag rid meaning giant and Rubes meaning ruble, or jewel. This god was said to be the kindest of the gods, but Hades framed him for the death of Piraeus's - the killer of Medusa - son. He was therefore banned from Olympus, but Zeus took pity on the poor giant and gave him a job as the keeper of any godly beasts on Olympus. (is that not Hag rid in a nutshell?) Ms. Rowling says that if you were "Hag rid" in old English you were having a bad night. She says that Hag rid is a big drinker and often has his own bad nights.

Ron Wesley: Ron Wesley, in another language, is called "Running Weasel." Running Weasel was a warlord in the 6th Dynasty. He was a brilliant strategist, and he never lost a game of chess (hmm. . .wasn't it Ron who defeated McGonagall's giant chess game?) Unfortunately, he died when a rat that had been dyed yellow (Scabbers!!) by his soldiers for fun earlier that day (that sounds like Fred and George), knocked over a lamp in his palace, burning it to the ground, and killing Running Weasel.

Remus Lupin: Remus is the name of the brother of the founder of Rome, nursed by a she-wolf and Lupin means wolf-like (A wolf is Canis Lupis)

Gilderoy Lockhart: the self-centered idiot who teaches "Defense of the Dark Arts" , did you know that Gilderoy was also the name of a famous highwayman of ballad fame who was reputedly handsome (that part sounds like our guy) and Lockhart is an Australian town near Wagga Wagga (remember, "Compose a poem about my defeat of the Wagga Wagga Werewolf"?)

WaDe_N_sPaRrOw

WaDe_N_sPaRrOw
thats was taken from mugglenet.com

Phoenix
wow! I never knew so many had symbolic names! I only new the Latin and French ones

ghosts

Shark
WOW!!

Phoenix
bumping

Agent Elrond
This remeinds me of names in the Matrix. Almost all have sme hidden meaning

big gay kirk
Firenze also means "fiery..." Patel means "village headman..."

Polly
A lot of them have a special meaning, it's fun seeing what the character's names mean!

celestial_moon
lol this one's funny!

hermione: A handsome figure in Greek mythology. The feminine form of Achilles.

laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.