Whats better Marvel or DC.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rawcus
the ultimate showdown Marvel or Dc. who do you recon the better is Happy Dance

batmanrules
marvel has all the cool characters like wolverine daredevil punisher, but d.c has batman so theyre about the same (maybe d.c)

I'd say marvel overall because their universe is so detailed, and the overall characters are jsut better...

but D.C. will forever be known as the Superman comics. And Superman is the best superhero out of all of them.

but marvel comes out on top overall

Rawcus
i think there both difernt marvel oppose more mutants and people who were once nrmall if u cacth my drifft

Mr. Fantastic
Marvel is by far better. You have more realistic characters that have weaknesses, as opposed to DC characters who basically cant be beat, such as Superman or Wonder Woman. Marvel also brings more variety into their comics and movies.

vvvrulz
Yeah, Marvel all the way. It has far more 'human' characters that we could relate to, whearas DC are mainly wooden. Mostly what Mr.Fantastic said.

Friend44
Do you mean comics, movies or sales?

Let's take a look!

Comics:
Dc is a company that has been there before Marvel. They "invented" the way comics are told and are structured. They've also come up with original ideas before Marvel. So, although Marvel is good, innovative and imaginative, it's basically a company who looked at Dc and said, let's take a piece of that pie.

Movies:
Dc was always supreme in that field because of it's longevity. A Superman project was easier to convince investors - who on this world would ask "who's Superman?". Today though, Marvel has gone in high gear. They've taken "obscure" characters and put them under the main light. They've given them the royal treatment. Marvel has used the best for their movies and are making the industry even better itself. At this time, Marvel is king of the cinema!

Sales:
I don't know much about these but I've read that Marvel almost went bankrupt a few times...

Friend.

Mr. Fantastic
They actually made a series of four Marvel vs. DC comic books.
The series featured these battles:
Superman vs. Hulk
Spiderman vs. Superboy
Wonder Woman vs. Storm
Wolverine vs. Lobo
Captain America vs. Batman
Flash vs. Quicksilver
Aquaman vs. Submariner
Team Blackhawk vs. The Fantastic Four

I personally pick Marvel as the best.

ab012f9448
Marvel is by far the better comic. The characters are much more realistic and human, they aren't all unbeatable and they deal with much more darker issues other than just saving the world all the time. I mean where else are you going to find a blind superhero or heros who are hated because of their powers and not always praised and loved for them. big grin

supershane
I like DC because they have the teen titans but marvel has the x-men and spider-man so there pretty much even when it comes down to it

krypto
D.C. is the better pick because of the superheroes that are actually "super". Marvel makes their superheroes have limits and boundaries or human traits. D.C., the distributors of superman, made superman have no limits nor boundaries on the planet earth, he can do anything at any time.

To make the comics exciting and interesting to read they made one weakness of superman, kryptonite, which although may hurt him is not easy to come by on the planet earth and if there ever was he could detect and destroy it.

Mr. Fantastic
Marvel gives their heroes boundaries so readers are able to relate to them. How can you relate to someone who has to save the world all the time? Marvel characters take it one small step at a time. Plus, they always leave you wanting their stories to continue.

ab012f9448
Too right Mr. Fantastic. yes

gambit88
Marvel
well in an all out war like trying to kill each other marvel would win just cuz of all the psychics

oh and about dc making comics and marvel copying no way dc started marvel redefined it and make it way better if they just took it and made new characters then it wouldn't make sense

in a sale thing marvel is winning now cuz of all there movies made great publicity for the comics

in who has the better characters i would say marvel again i mean marvel gives you scenerios where things could have happened like a good reason while dc gives you "they came from another planet" crap for every comic they got it's annoying

X5452
Marvel is the either the largest comic retailer either in the world or in US (soz can't remember, anyway US is one of the largest and weathliest countries...) NUFF SAID!

Gregory
When people say this, I always assume that they've never actually read DC comics. It might be unfair, but anyone who can watch the entire JLA be slaughtered and then complain that the characters can't be beaten is hard to take seriously. I'm also assuming that you don't read Teen Titans or Young Justice, since neither of those teams has any excessively powerful characters.

ScarletSpider
According to the last Diamond Comics Distributors report, Marvel sells roughly 1 out of every 2 comics, and on the list of the top 10 comic books in terms of sales, they have places 1 through 10. So fiscally, Marvel is kicking ass at the moment.

I also prefer Marvel in regards to their characters and universe, for the reason's stated above by various posters, more realistic personalities, weaknesses, conflicts, and a broader range of characters and stories, from deep space, Starjammer Sci-Fi to urban, Daredevil crime and everything inbetween.

Raventheonly
Right on ....

Sunspot
marvel all the way obviously, cause they looked at DC and said: "let's take a piece of that pie, and transform it into something better!"

svex
Originally posted by RaventheOnly
Right on ....
ITS CALLED HEIGHT OF BASTARDITY, U R ALSO A CHEAT CUM TALENTLESS ***** I THINK

roughrider
This is a highly generalized question. Are we talking about the comics, the TV series, the movies...

Overall, if I had to choose one universe, it would be the Marvel one. But I'm still a fan of Batman, on his own. big grin

Golgo13
DC for the overall comics and Television.
Marvel for the movies (for now).
Video games is close, but DC has had better ones recently.

BlackZero30x
The Flash is my #1 favorite and Gambit is my #2 but over all I think I would stand with marvel.

SpaceMonkey
How is this even close? DC has Batman and Superman, and that's about it. Marvel by a whole hell of a lot.

quanchi112
Marvel. Not even close. Dc is a joke compared to marvel.

-Pr-
Comics: Both are equally bad and good right now.
Movies: Marvel
TV: DC

Femi32
Originally posted by quanchi112
Marvel. Not even close. Dc is a joke compared to marvel.

DC is highly relevant. How are they a joke?

Bouboumaster
Movies: Marvel. DC sucks at movies, Nolan's Batman trilogy aside. And they chose Ben ****ing Afleck as the next Batman. So..

Comics: Matter of opinion, but I, personnally, prefer Marvel

Golgo13
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
How is this even close? DC has Batman and Superman, and that's about it. Marvel by a whole hell of a lot.

Your opinion, but their sales don't reflect that.

abhilegend
DC, no question about it.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Golgo13

Who gives a shit about their sales.

Originally posted by -Pr-
Comics: Both are equally bad and good right now.

Agree with this.

SpaceMonkey

Justin Bieber has sold millions. Sales don't reflect quality, man. I do, however, respect your opinion, and I will be in line for Batman/Superman.

Golgo13
Justin Bieber has sold millions. Sales don't reflect quality, man. I do, however, respect your opinion, and I will be in line for Batman/Superman.

Marvel actually gets the sales (mostly), but my point is that DC still has some good/profitable properties. From Teen Titans (when it's good), JLA, Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, (At one point it was selling more than any Marvel book), JSA, etc...

DC is much more than Batman/Superman and they're not even my favorite characters of that universe.

You may not like any other character, but that doesn't mean "that's all they have". DC has had more critical acclaimed runs than Marvel (IMO) and they lead in the award category as well.

Kazenji

DC is much more than Batman/Superman and they're not even my favorite characters of that universe.

Well that's all DC/Warner Bro's is when it comes to movies Batman/Superman....yeah i know they've dabbled with some other properties such as Green Lantern, Constantine & Jonah Hex.

Q99
Right now, I feel Marvel's comics *and* movie divisions are doing far better than their competition.

DC's able to do high-sale events, but with author changes and direction changes they bleed off sales fast, and most stuff outside a few core titles isn't doing well. Marvel's able to retain sales much better and consistently provide longer comic runs allowing writers to develop things more.

DC's less diverse in the tone/'voice' of it's comics than Marvel, so people tend to cluster around a smaller number of books. Marvel's very good at remembering even when there's a big change, some won't like it, so they always provide an alternative to appeal to more readers, and thus their sales remain higher and they retain more people. Tend to use minor characters well a lot more too, often building them up, rather than treating non-big name characters as disposable.

On the flip side, I'd say DC's TV area has the edge. Agents of SHIELD may change this, but DC's Arrow is well received, Teen Titans Go is doing well, they've got a new Batman series...

Golgo13
Originally posted by Kazenji
Well that's all DC/Warner Bro's is when it comes to movies Batman/Superman....yeah i know they've dabbled with some other properties such as Green Lantern, Constantine & Jonah Hex.

They could have good money making properties (at least on the level of X-Men/Cap) if they had some good direction and writing. Constantine and Hex aren't good examples, obviously. stick out tongue

Man of Steel did very well at the box office and the success will only grow once Batman comes in the mix. A good way to bring even more characters and show them off.

SpaceMonkey
Man of Steel did very well at the box office and the success will only grow once Batman comes in the mix. A good way to bring even more characters and show them off.

The potential is there, no doubt. The hard part, which Marvel has done, hence their current superiority, is making those movies a successful reality.

Golgo, we're not discussing who has more or older characters, this forum is called Comic Book "Movies". And seriously as of now, not 5 or 10 years from now, today, Marvel is miles ahead of DC in that aspect. I REALLY hope DC gets their head out of their a$$ and consistently competes so Marvel can up THEIR game thus making ALL comic book movie fans happy. No more Catwoman or Green Lantern mockeries. There is a wealth of stories there, but they fail at every turn, other than Nolan's Batman and MoS. Like when WWF/WWE had competition. They had better shows and storylines, but without anything to compete against, WWE became stale. I hope that doesn't happen here. I HOPE TO GOD a good Justice League movie can happen, I'm rooting for it. The problem is that it takes more than 1 or 2 movies to catch up to where Marvel is. You must see that.

PEACE

Golgo13
The potential is there, no doubt. The hard part, which Marvel has done, hence their current superiority, is making those movies a successful reality.

Golgo, we're not discussing who has more or older characters, this forum is called Comic Book "Movies". And seriously as of now, not 5 or 10 years from now, today, Marvel is miles ahead of DC in that aspect. I REALLY hope DC gets their head out of their a$$ and consistently competes so Marvel can up THEIR game thus making ALL comic book movie fans happy. No more Catwoman or Green Lantern mockeries. There is a wealth of stories there, but they fail at every turn, other than Nolan's Batman and MoS. Like when WWF/WWE had competition. They had better shows and storylines, but without anything to compete against, WWE became stale. I hope that doesn't happen here. I HOPE TO GOD a good Justice League movie can happen, I'm rooting for it. The problem is that it takes more than 1 or 2 movies to catch up to where Marvel is. You must see that.

PEACE

People were comparing comics, tv, and movies. I was doing all of the above.

Femi32

PEACE

thumb up

Q99
Oh, speaking of missteps, the Wonder Woman TV pilot. And talks of WW movies keep following through. I do not think current DC higher ups get classic WW.

Marvel actually gets the sales (mostly), but my point is that DC still has some good/profitable properties. From Teen Titans (when it's good), JLA, Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, (At one point it was selling more than any Marvel book), JSA, etc...

You may not like any other character, but that doesn't mean "that's all they have". DC has had more critical acclaimed runs than Marvel (IMO) and they lead in the award category as well.

Yea, but largely in years past, and they aren't very good at leveraging those onto the screen (with some exception to the animated films).

You can't exactly do a "JLA Morrison Run" movie or TV show, after all.

A Green Lantern/Green Arrow would be cool, but dated. Ditto a lot of other classic runs.

Ones like Animal Man or Doom Patrol suffer from being such minor properties they likely aren't going to do well until you've really built up the brand already.

Golgo13
Originally posted by Q99
Oh, speaking of missteps, the Wonder Woman TV pilot. And talks of WW movies keep following through. I do not think current DC higher ups get classic WW.

Yea, but largely in years past, and they aren't very good at leveraging those onto the screen (with some exception to the animated films).

You can't exactly do a "JLA Morrison Run" movie or TV show, after all.

A Green Lantern/Green Arrow would be cool, but dated. Ditto a lot of other classic runs.

Ones like Animal Man or Doom Patrol suffer from being such minor properties they likely aren't going to do well until you've really built up the brand already.

Rumor has it, they are casting WW to make a cameo in the Superman/Batman movie. From bleedingcool. Just because you fail now, doesn't mean you will fail down the road. If that were true, Marvel movies would still be crap. Like they have been before.

DARTH POWER
Rumor has it, they are casting WW to make a cameo in the Superman/Batman movie. From bleedingcool.

Yes I've read that. It's speculation based on what they're looking for for in an actress for one of the roles.

I hope it's true though. Superman slugging it out with Wonder Woman would be a lot of fun, whilst there's really no good way to have Batman and Supes slugging it out. Plus it's important to establish the trinity ASAP.

-Pr-
That wonder woman pilot sucked ass.

The Aquaman one, though, wasn't actually bad I thought.

Golgo13
There was an Aquaman one? :/

-Pr-
There was an Aquaman one? :/

Yeah. Mercy Reef it was called, iirc. The guy who played GA in Smallville played him. Ving Rhames and Louis Diamond Philips were in it.

Q99
Rumor has it, they are casting WW to make a cameo in the Superman/Batman movie. From bleedingcool. Just because you fail now, doesn't mean you will fail down the road. If that were true, Marvel movies would still be crap. Like they have been before.

That'd be a good move. I do hope they don't skip the WW movie and try and go strait to JLA, though.

Firefly218
In terms of quality, marvel edges DC.
Marvel characters have more substance and are more relatable then the perfect DC characters. Also marvel cinema is better than DC Warner Bros cinema, not including the dark knight trilogy.

Golgo13
Originally posted by Firefly218
Marvel characters have more substance and are more relatable then the perfect DC characters. Also marvel cinema is better than DC Warner Bros cinema, not including the dark knight trilogy.

How are DC characters perfect?

Firefly218

Firefly218
How are DC characters perfect?

DC characters are perfect in that they are seemingly invincible. Also their characters have the dumbest weaknesses.their writers tend to pack a whole lotta powers into a single characters and then give him/her the lamest weakness, like an alien rock(ie kryptonite)

SpaceMonkey
DC characters are perfect in that they are seemingly invincible. Also their characters have the dumbest weaknesses.their writers tend to pack a whole lotta powers into a single characters and then give him/her the lamest weakness, like an alien rock(ie kryptonite)

QFT

-Pr-

You're wrong pretty much completely, bar the stupid weakness part, but Marvel has that too, so you're still wrong.

Nothing wrong with disliking characters, but entire companies for outdated ideas? Come on.

Newjak
You're wrong pretty much completely, bar the stupid weakness part, but Marvel has that too, so you're still wrong.

Nothing wrong with disliking characters, but entire companies for outdated ideas? Come on. you're an outdated idea pr!

-Pr-
sad

Golgo13

But they're not perfect like you were saying and not really "invincible".

Golgo13
QFT

What's true?

Newjak
sad I'm sorry sad

SpaceMonkey
What's true?

I agree 100% with everything that was said.

I also just read this article from someone who is probably better equipped to comment on the subject:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/179805-j-michael-straczynski-says-marvel-is-kicking-dcs-clock

Golgo13

I also just read this article from someone who is probably better equipped to comment on the subject:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/179805-j-michael-straczynski-says-marvel-is-kicking-dcs-clock

But they aren't perfect. Hasn't been for a long time, if you read the stories. Plus, some of those so called weaknesses are no longer valid. Just want someone explaining their opinions a little better.

-Pr-

he's talking about movies.

and the person you quoted? he's still wrong. Factually.

Kazenji
How is JMS wrong?

i read that earlier and he's pretty much spot on about Warner Bro's.

Golgo13
How is JMS wrong?

i read that earlier and he's pretty much spot on about Warner Bro's.

Nobody said he was wrong about movies. We're talking comics and other mediums.

Kazenji
We're talking comics and other mediums.

And one of those mediums is movies....roll eyes (sarcastic)

that's why this thread is in the "Comic Book Movies"

Golgo13
And one of those mediums is movies....roll eyes (sarcastic)

that's why this thread is in the "Comic Book Movies"

Well, duh, but other posters are talking ABOUT OTHER MEDIUMS.

Kazenji
ABOUT OTHER MEDIUMS.

Oh rly?

thought they were talking about how to make bread... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Golgo13
Oh rly?

thought they were talking about how to make bread... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Yes, really, now shut up.

Kazenji
So you want me to shut up for having an opinion.... no expression

i see the person SpaceMonkey is quoting trying to make out he's speaking the truth.....he's only slightly right.

Golgo13
So you want me to shut up for having an opinion.... no expression

i see the person SpaceMonkey is quoting trying to make out he's speaking the truth.....he's only slightly right.

No, because nobody said JMS was wrong.

Kazenji
I'm sure someone out there disagree's with his views.

Golgo13
Nobody here, though. Not yet.

Allankles

Nothing wrong with disliking characters, but entire companies for outdated ideas? Come on.

True dat, a lot of people here making broad sweeping generalizations.

As for the topic: I generally prefer DC, all things being equal, they've had the more impactful stories overall.

So.

Movies: Marvel - the Bladeverse and Spidermanverse tip the scales for me. But in saying that DC has some low key titles under the Vertigo imprint. So DC has quite a bit more weight in the movie stakes than some people think.

Comics: Toss up.

TV: DC by a land slide.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Allankles

Movies: Marvel - the Bladeverse and Spidermanverse tip the scales for me. But in saying that DC has some low key titles under the Vertigo imprint. So DC has quite a bit more weight in the movie stakes than some people think.

Comics: Toss up.

TV: DC by a land slide.

Let's be honest. Marvel is ahead on the big screen by a landslide.

Kazenji
How is DC in a land slide on tv?....all they have is Arrow these days.

DARTH POWER

Because SHIELD's the first thing Marvel has done in decades. DC had Smallville running for 10 years prior to Arrow, and like Arrow was a hugely popular show. Plus the Flash series is already confirmed for next year.

But still I agree, calling it a "Landslide" is probably pushing it at this stage.

Allankles

Agents is ok, but Marvel haven't had a significant tv show in some time. DC's had Batman, Superman Animated, JLU, Smallville, Young Justice just to name a few: TV land has always been good for DC properties.

Allankles
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Because SHIELD's the first thing Marvel has done in decades. DC had Smallville running for 10 years prior to Arrow, and like Arrow was a hugely popular show. Plus the Flash series is already confirmed for next year.

But still I agree, calling it a "Landslide" is probably pushing it at this stage.

By history DC's story telling and production quality on TV has eclipsed Marvel's by a huge margin. So 'landslide' isn't far off the mark.

Allankles
Let's be honest. Marvel is ahead on the big screen by a landslide.

Yeah, if you only count live action I agree. The Marvel street leveler movies especially, translate better in live action. Not that DC don't have the same (Losers and Watchmen come to mind), but Marvel have had better movies for their street level guys. Animation though: DC all the way.

-Pr-
In terms of movies? Marvel

In terms of animation? DC

TV? DC - Agents of Shield has been something of a disaster, imo.

Comics... Meh. Both have their great books and their shit books, so take your pick really.

Golgo13

Don't forget all those cartoon series. Batman TAS was ahead of it's time and still my favorite cartoon. Even though at the time, X-Men TAS was my favorite.

SpaceMonkey
So can we agree that movie-wise, at this point, Marvel wins?

DARTH POWER
So can we agree that movie-wise, at this point, Marvel wins?

I think we can all agree Marvel stomps there.

Golgo13
I think we can all agree Marvel stomps there.

I wouldn't call it a stomp if we count WB's past movies like Reeve's Superman and 89 Batman, plus Nolan's trilogy, which is still the highest rated super hero/crime movies on sites and highly regarded by the public.

Plus, MOS was pretty well received and a good start to a shared universe, if WB goes that route.

DARTH POWER
Was following SpaceMonkey's comment who said at this point. At this point Marvel is completely stomping.

Obviously DC was stomping the movie arena in the days of Reeve's Superman, and later Burton's Batman.

Going ahead, it looks like it's getting better for DC, but rebooting Batman is a step down(in terms of box office success), and even though MOS was a good film, it had it's faults. A little break from the action towards the end, to further the character development and plot, would have gone a long way.

To even compete with Marvel WB have to prove they can make a DC comic book hero, other than Superman and Batman, successful. While also keeping it's top 2 bricks at that level of being huge box office draws- The Superman/Batman movie really should be surpassing the Billion Dollar mark in earnings.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.