Your father wanted you to have it...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthyogi
OBI's line "... more powerful than you can possibly imagine..." has been discussed recently, but I'm also intrigued by OBI's claim that Anakin wanted Luke to have his lightsabre.

Up front, this could well have been no more than a lie to hook Luke into the idea, but I wonder if there is more here, too.

That scene has always been my favourite from the entire series. I love the way that droids, speeders, aliens, monsters and space ships are treated so casually and matter-of-factly prior to the sabres appearance so that when Luke asks what it is we know it's something VERY special, even in a galaxy where so many other over-worldly things are taken for granted. The jedi intrigue is fixed. Wonderful!

But what if Anakain did leave the sabre for OBI to pass on? Would that mean Anakin abandoned being a jedi prior to his fall, perhaps to seek refuge himself. Perhaps he isn't pushed into the lava at all - would it make more sense if he jumped in an attempt to avert his destiny? How dramatic a scene would that be - OBI and Anakin battling, Anakin knowing he has little influence over things, knowing his foe is his friend, throws himself into the pit in a lastditch attempt to save himself.

And then Palpy claws him out, fixes him up and enslaves him. A far more sympathetic Vader, if that's concievable...

queeq
For one, the sabre Anakin has in Ep2 is NOT the one Luke gets. But rumour has it Anakin looses half his right arm in Ep2 and therefore possible his current lightsabre.

I think Anakin will not try to commit suicide, because otherwise he would have attempted to do that again. I think the sabre Luke gets is a "souvenir" OB1 takes with him after he has defeated his good friend.

yerssot
There is also a rumor that Padme will give a necklasse (colier) to Annakin and that there will be a crystal in that jewel so he could make a lightsabre.
Don't know about that...

Ushgarak
I think it is very simple. Obi-Wan, who considers Anakin dead, knows that Anakin would have wanted his son to have his sabre after he died. So Obi-Wan gave it to Luke.

yerssot
would it be otherwhise:
Your father would have given you it?

ToMacco
darthyogi, I like your theory.

I've always said, even though most of you disagree, that Anakin (not Vader) will kill Padme. Perhaps after this, Obi-wan and Anakin will have the battle we are all waiting for. THen he throws himself into the pit, like you think he may.

Anakin knows of his boy, and knew he was damned to the darkside after killing his love. So what does he do? Not therapy. . . no no no! Into the f*&$ing pit with him! But first he gave his lightsabre to Obi-wan.

yerssot
*The emperor knew as I did, that if Annakin would have offspring they could form a treat to him*

Let's raise him till he's 20 and then shoot him... confused

Ushgarak
Indeed; it makes far more sense if Vader dos not know about the kids.

yerssot
I don't think that Vader will give willingly his sabre away...

Ushgarak
True. However, his old, Anakin sabre probably meant nothing to him anymore. We assume that Obi-Wan takes it from him after a duel, but it is equally plausible that Vader simply abandons Anakin's sabre, and Obi-Wan finds it.

yerssot
The rumors I heard, I don't think he would abandon it:
The crystal to make the sabre is made from the necklase of Amidala

ToMacco
Putting the matter of how Obi-wan got it aside for a moment; I do think that in ESB Vader knew Luke's blue blade was his old one. Because in RotJ Vader looks at Luke's green sabre and says "I see you have constructed a new lightsabre."

For those who beleive Vader didn't know of his son (or daughter), perhaps he recognized it in ESB, and knew that only his son could have gotten his hands on it.

But, I still believe Vader knew of Luke. I think this because he didn't seem to surprised when Luke was stirring up trouble at the end of ESB. And he told him "I'm your father." We didn't see any private moments of reflection on his part. "Could this be my son?" You know what I mean.

yerssot
???
sorry, but I don't think I know what you're talking about!
Vader battled Luke in ESB in Cloud City, he had plenty of time to see wich color the sabre of Luke had. And in RotJ he ignites Luke's sabre when they are on Endor and sees that it is a green one.

queeq
Exactly. And Vader was not surprised about Luke being his son on Bespin. He already knew that. He finds out there's another Skywalker sometime between ANH and ESB and has been looking for him ever since. Hence the line all the way at the beginning of ESB: "...and I'm sure Skywalker is with them."

yerssot
hence:
Vader obsesd with finding Luke Skywalker
(yellow lines at the beginning)

queeq
Okay. That settles it then. wink

King Jedi
Hey, I came up with that Anakin jumping into the lava thing ages ago on EZboard. smile

queeq
So you did that... big grin

ToMacco
But do you think Anakin will leap into a pit? It would sort of be a knock off of Alien 3.

queeq
No, I don't think he'll try to commit suicide. Otherwise he'd try again and I don't see a death wish in Vader in the OT.

King Jedi
But the idea was that you never knew if he jumped or just fell in.

queeq
Ah, sort of a Bridge on the River Kwai experience, eh?

King Jedi
I never thought of that.

queeq
That's why I remind you. It's always been a debate based on air really. There was no intent. I think both Guiness and Lean said he just fell on it. It became a debate when fans started talking about it. Guess GL could make it live like that among fans.

yerssot
Tssssssss, I said that WAY earlier than that!
I said this also at killermovies but Ush didn't want to believe me

Ushgarak
KJ could be talking about a long time ago, yerssot. Though it's hardly as if he came up with the idea...

What part didn;t I believe you about?

ToMacco
I think he means he posted it on EZboards a while ago, and must have posted it here before you, too.

But I don't know, so I'll just stay out of this one. roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
I told that GL said to Luke that his father fell in a lavapit; but you were brabbling about Vader and Annakin and I didn't understood it that well.

Ushgarak
Oh yeah.

You say that Mark Hamil was told that his father fell into a lava pit. However, at the time he was told that Luke's Father was not necessarily Darth Vader, plot-wise.

Have you still not been able to find the quote?

Lava pit is still the most likely scenario, though.

yerssot
I've got a lot of work, so still haven't found it, I'll chech the BTM-CD

ToMacco
See? I was wrong! It appears I was the dumbass there! sad

yerssot
Don't be that hard on yourself wink

queeq
Right. We'll do it for you. evil face

Dim
The they might throw you in a lava pit..

queeq
Can I do it? evil face

ToMacco
Nah, you guys don't want to throw me in a lava pit. What if I become the new Dark Lord? big grin

yerssot
Yeah right, first you have to defeat me!!!!!

ToMacco
I will defeat you (waving my hand in front of your face) stick out tongue

queeq
Okay, back on topic. Take the fighting to the GDF please.

Dim
So much for Chaos roll eyes (sarcastic)
Anyway..Vader...crispy critter. You'd think he'd have no face, falling in lava and all.

jedi212guy
Maybe they could repair parts of his body, but some of his organs, like his lungs, were beyond repair.

queeq
I'll create the Chaos, can't have anyone do my job. wink

ToMacco
Maybe he landed on his face, so it wasn't burned.
confused

queeq
He'd look too ugly if his face was burned.

ToMacco
Yeah, but he was pretty nasty lookin when Luke took off that helmit!

jedi212guy
Yeh, didn't he have a hole in the top of his head? What's up with that?

yerssot
I thought that was a scar made by a lightsabre

Dim
I don't think it was a hole..

queeq
I was a scar of some kind. And of course he looks scary/ugly/beat up whatever. I said that a burned face would make him look TOO ugly. It's also a film for children, remember.

yerssot
It wasn't a hole, but there was something missing there

queeq
Hair. big grin

yerssot
laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

King Jedi
Did he have any ears?

yerssot
I asked myself the same question a year ago! Not sure anymore, but I think he has them still on his head yes...

queeq
Earless Anakin?

finti
pretty nasty scar to be in the head. ( There is a picture of Anakin/Vader in the Avatars)

yerssot
you see that there is actually a piece on his head missing ( only 1 or 2 centimeters)

King Jedi
Are you guessing or did you measure it. smokin'

yerssot
I know Vader roll eyes (sarcastic)
Ofcourse I guessed it!

queeq
I think it's just room between the extensive scar tissue.

Dim
Maybe he was always kind of loppy headed under his hair.

queeq
laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.