most overrated artist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

finti
since we have bands we need a thread that can cover solo artist as well.

Tupac
Beck
eminem
Britney Spears
J.Timberlake
Nelly

GABRIEL05
oh that was very spitefull

BackFire
Finti named most of the ones I would have mentioned.

Also Celine Deon needs to be mentioned.

Curl_Up&Dye
I like Beck.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i dunno how tupac is overrated or eminem. hmmm Nelly yea i guess he's kinda overrated. Eminem might be a little to overrated but cmon he's white smile his lyrics are great.

julibug
Definately Britney Spears.

Celine Dion is talented, but definately overrated. There are plenty of other female artists with just as much talent, but nowhere near the diva level.

Shania Twain & Faith Hill - overrated.

I'm sure I'll think of others later. evil face

finti
how?, Whenever I hear Tupac I cant stop thinking that his death boosted his sales. There is nothing, in my mind, to his music at all. Eminem I just dont like, wanna be though guy.

alic88
well 2 answer ur question i dont think that celine dion is over-rated. i think that she is a very talented artist. i mean MY HEART WILL GO ON was a massive hit. although the song might b over-rated(like titanic) but the song was HUGE. and, the power of love, i know that it was originally sung by laura branigan but she sung it very well. and if u think celine dion is over-rated u should listen 2 her greatest hits collection and i m sure that u will change ur opinion. AND: justin timberlake MY GOD this guy gets on my nerves. people say he is the next michael jackson. FOR HEAVENZ SAKE I HATE THAT GUY

finti
Celine Dion is a talented singer, but overrated as an artist. Let her write her own material then we will see her real talent
And the Power of Love was original sung by Jennifer Rush in 1985, Laura Brannigan had a cover of it 2 years later

julibug
Yeah, alic88, I actually said that Celine Dion was talented. She has a wide vocal range. She generates hits. But there are other female singers with comparable talent who haven't been catipulted to the level of fame that she has. That's all. Personally, I prefer Sara Brightmen over Celine Dion anyday.

finti
Sara have too much opera in her for my liking.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
tupac was great even before his "death". i can list so many songs that are masterpieces. you know y i like tupac...cuz he's not like other rappers. he sings with both hatred and love and sometimes at the same time. Eminem overrated? a wanna be? i dont know how he's a wanna be. he was influenced by Tupac and now he produced album Tupac:ressurection. which i think is great.

finti
Tupac is overrated,in my eyes, cause his music doesnt have very much to it, Way to boring and ordinary, just my opinion though

Bad Boy
I respect all music, but Badly Drawn Boy.... nuff said!

SilverFighter
You need to include Pink in that list. Pink is not the bad girl she think she is.

Difrycheulyd
why do you know her personally? wink

h0ck3yh0rr0r
finiti i dont think u have any songs by tupac. well thats what i think. anyway we all have opinions.

finti
No I dont have any music by him and I aint gonna get it either. Dont buy cds by artists I dont like

h0ck3yh0rr0r
oops my bad finti i ment to say "i dont think u have heard any songs by tupac' my bad

julibug
Yeah, but have you heard her cover of Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade of Pale"? cool

BackFire
Eminem is a hypocrite. Plus he's just annoying to listen to, his verbal skills are comparable to a retarded 2nd grader.

Also, he is indeed a wannabe, he acts black, he talks black, but he's a little blonde white boy...if that's not a wannabe then I don't know what is.

fungrl515
avril lavigne definitely

but, some artists don't get the attention they should. sara brightman is an amazing singer who just doesn't get too much attention because her music isn't very popular now, but she's one of the best singers ever.

julibug
Happy Dance Happy Dance Go Sara, Go Sara! Happy Dance Happy Dance

finti
if I hadnt heard songs by him i couldnt form an opinion either. Ohyeah I heard a lot of his stuff. My nephews lived at our house for awhile and the oldest one was listening to Tupac day in and day out. So I heard a lot of him.

And Juliebug yes I have heard Saras version of Whiter Shade of pale, and I have never been to keen on coversongs. Always been an original is best man

alic88
i think laura branigan and bryan adams r UNDER-RATED

finti
maybe Bryan, not Branigan

gotta get rich
no no no. i pity you man. yeah he acts and talks black, but seeing as he was brought up in a 80% black community, what do you expect? and seeing as us black folk accept him, it just seems stupid that white folk hold that against him. its just jealousy i suppose.

also, eminem is the greatest lyricist bar none. im not his biggest fan by along way, but i really hate it when people diss Eminem, because, no matter what you say, he is talented. even my white, rock and roll loving middle aged dad admits that. grow up man.

oh yeah, and he just dies his hair blond, his natural hair color is dark brown. shows how much you know bout him.

dont judge what you dont understand bro.

finti
of course eminem is talented, but even so what he does it just doesnt sound quite right

h0ck3yh0rr0r
yea.

BackFire
First off, you're right, I don't know much about him, I don't want too because I don't wanna know about musicians that are bad. Blonde hair, brown hair, whatever, he acts black to gain easy credibility from his simple minded listeners who think that he's ghetto for talking in ebonix and what not.

Also, there isn't much to understand about eminem, he's a very generic rapper as far as I can see, I don't see much difference between his rap's and any other rapper I've heard. He's just a little wannabe Vannilla Ice, give him a couple of years, he'll probably rape a woman just like Ice did.

One thing I do understand about him though, he is a hypocrite.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i like Eminems opinions. WEll we all have opinons one what we want to talk or sing about. im not against u bf i respect ur opinions cuz ur cool and ur armenian smile (well thats what u say)

blueboy
For starters, I hate eminem too and your right he would rape a woman. However, I don't understand how a guy who has had many hits like eminem would want to be like a guy who has had one hit and quickly vanished like Vanilla Ice.

finti
vanilla ice sick

mah
A hypocrite eminem might be, but there's nothing average about his rapping skills. Ace flow.

Patient_Leech
The Cure, off the top of my head. Most mainstream rap and pop "artists."

0mega Spawn
im going to pretend i didn't see someone say "EM isnt lyrical" as i scrolled down

but EM is the most ovverated rapper love the dude. but his fans are the strangest mu****as you'll ever meet

even EM used to diss them
the "hey. hes white, im white. so we must have alot in common therefore hes the best rapper ever despite my lack of Hip hop or Rap knowledge" proportion anyways. no expression

psycho gundam
^ eminem is pretty annoying imo, lyrical content set aside his voice and style irks me to no end.

NemeBro
Nirvana. Good song writing, mediocre to bad everything else. The only guy there who could really be considered good with his instrument was Dave Grohl ( hilariously he also is a better guitarist than Colbain was ) .

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by NemeBro
Nirvana. Good song writing, mediocre to bad everything else. The only guy there who could really be considered good with his instrument was Dave Grohl ( hilariously he also is a better guitarist than Colbain was ) .

Nirvana had a huge impact on rock 'n roll, and perhaps that is why you think they're overrated, but playing complicated stuff does not necessarily make a band good. (in fact simpler is often better). Making good songs is what it's about. Which is why Nirvana > Dream Theater (for example). Real feeling > soulless complexity. Which is why a band like Tool is ideal, because they have complexity, soul, and great songs. Now, if you don't like grunge-type stuff, that's one thing, but Nirvana defines that style, and it's excellent.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Nirvana had a huge impact on rock 'n roll, and perhaps that is why you think they're overrated, but playing complicated stuff does not necessarily make a band good. (in fact simpler is often better). Making good songs is what it's about. Which is why Nirvana > Dream Theater (for example). Real feeling > soulless complexity. Which is why a band like Tool is ideal, because they have complexity, soul, and great songs. Now, if you don't like grunge-type stuff, that's one thing, but Nirvana defines that style, and it's excellent. I stopped paying attention the moment you said Nirvana was better than Dream Theater. You nearly had me with "simpler is better" though. I will never understand the idiotic notion that it is better to be crappy with an instrument than great with one. And Nirvana just made popular shit that already existed, Colbain hated that people praised him for defining a whole genre of music.

AsbestosFlaygon
The Beatles

Black Sabbath

Whitney Houston

Justin Beaver

95% of East Coast rappers (Lil Wayne, Pitbull, Gucci Mane, Soulja Boy, Waka Flocka Flame, Tyler the Creator, David Banner, Redman, etc.)

juggernaut94
The Beatles.
Justin Bieber.
One Direction.

Hmm, I'll get back to this.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
95% of East Coast rappers (Lil Wayne, Pitbull, Gucci Mane, Soulja Boy, Waka Flocka Flame, Tyler the Creator, David Banner, Redman, etc.) other than red man, none of those guys are east coast

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by psycho gundam
other than red man, none of those guys are east coast
South Coast then?
They're definitely not from the West Coast.

NemeBro
Isn't it fun when geography dictates musical talent?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.