They Aren't What Ythey Used To Be!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TASHA_S
ARE HORROR FILMS WHAT THEY USED TO BE? I DONT THINK THEY ARE LOOK 30 YEARS AGO FILMS LIKE THE EXORCIST AND THE OMEN WHERE MADE, THOSE FILMS WHERE TERRIFYING AND ALSO MESSED WITH YOUR HEAD A BIT. BUT NOW WE HAVE LAME ASS FILMS LIKE FINAL DESTINATION. I MEAN WHATS THAT ALL ABOUT. AUDIENCES RAN OUT OF THE CINEMA AT FILMS LIKE EXORCIST, WHEN WILL I GET A FILM THAT WILL MAKE ME WANNA RUN OUT OF THE CINEMA. ALL HORROR FILMS NOWADAYS CONTAIN IS ONE PHYSCO KILLER, KILLING A LOAD OF TEENAGERS, WHOS CAR THE ACCIDENTLY RAN OUT OF PETROL, AND THEY ALL GET KILLED IN TERRIBLE AND BLOODY DEATHS ITS PATHETIC. AND WHATS WITH ALL THE GOD DAMN REMAKES OH PLEASE, JUST LEAVE THE CLASSICS AS THEY ARE, THEY ARE BETTER THAT WAY. THE ONLY FILM THAT I CAN GENUINGLY SAY THAT DID SORT OF SCARE ME WAS THE RING AND EVEN THAT WAS A REMAKE, FOR GOD SAKE SOME ONE WRITE A GOOD SCARY CULT HORROR FILM.
mad

Evil Dead
I agree with your concept............but the Exorcist is the worst possible movie to reference as it is the most over blown, over hyped, over rated piece of garbage ever. Better references would have have probably been The Omen, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Amityville Horror, Night of the Living Dead, The Last House on the Left, etc.

I find that Final Destination is one of the few good modern horror films. It is much better than all of that Scream, I Know what You did Last Summer, Valentine, Urban Legend, The Ring crap. Too bad they made a sucky sequel to it. Ofcourse no modern horror flick holds a candle to 28 Days Later. It will not be beaten for a long time.

As for all the generic stories that are put in horror films these days.......what do you expect? The core demographic for ANY movie are teenagers. Teenagers are going out spending money on this crap.....if the movie makes money, they will continue to use the same formula in other movies to make money off of those aswell. The last two great horror movies made were probably 28 Days Later.....and Hellraiser, which was made 17 years ago.

If teenagers would stop going to see these trendy/popular "horror" movies, the studios would stop making them. Don't blame the studios.....they are just trying to make money. They were just trying to make money 30 years ago when the Exorcist was made......they are unchanged. Blame the audience who goes to see this tripe.....it's their fault.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
agree. their aren't many "good" modern horror movies. well ill still be waiting until something great comes out....

swordmaster
Personally, I believe the reason why the new movies are so bad is because they spend so much time developing the scenes, they don't have time to develop the script. Most of these movies could have turned out half-way decent, but the plot twists and character developments (if any) are lacking at best.

BackFire
I agree that the majority of the recent horror films have been garbage, but it sounds like they are at least trying to start making more good horror flicks. 28 days later comes to mind, which is what I consider one of the finest horror films ever made, with that movies popularity and success, I think you may begin to see more good horror movies being released.

I know George Romero is working on the next installment of his "of the dead" series, no concrete information is available, but he's stated that he's written a script and several companies are interested.

Also, with Rob Zombie now making movies, he is at least attempting to make horror films with heart and soul, like the old 70's flicks.

I think we may begin to see a resurrection of good horror flicks....At least I hope so.

Micheal_Myers
I havent seen the first final destination.But The second one sucked.I didnt really like the ring either.I like Halloween Ressurection of course.But it pales in comparison to its preddecessors.Except for H20.H20 also wasnt as good as the others.Halloween 3....well...we all know that is probably THE worst MOVIE.Not just horror movie...but movie ever made in my oppinion.But anyways...I also agree that movies these days are taking a downfall...

Dario Argento
Argento is up with a new movie called "The Card Player". It is going to be released in Italy 2nd of January 2004.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.