Anakin tries to kill himself

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

King Jedi
I had this idea a while ago and I've now seen it discussed elsewhere so here it is.
During the famous Obi-Wan v Anakin duel, Obi-Wan doesn't win. Anakin tries to take his own life as he realises what is happening to him. He could do this by throwing himself into the lava pit. He is then rescued by Palpatine and that is why he " must obey his master".
I've now read something on a forum which makes this theory more interesting.
If Lucas directs this scene correctly then the audience could be left wondering if Anakin jumped or just fell accidently. We could see Anakin on the edge of the pit and then he goes over. Did he jump because he didn't want to turn to the dark side? or Did he accidently fall in only to be saved by Palpatine?
This would be debated for years by fans just like the " Was Harrison Ford a clone" thing from Blade Runner. This would definately be my Ep3 ending.

Dim
Yeah, I was thinking about something like that too. I thought that maybe we might see a mirror version of Luke's fall from Cloud City. Maybe something like Obi-Wan trys to talk to Anakin after they duel and kind of pull him back from the dark side. But Anakin, feeling betrayed by OB1, throws himself into the pit (or whatever it is) to get away from OB1 If he were to be saved by Palpatine he would feel he owed him a life debt.

Ratcat
Anakin commits the ultimate selfless act and ends up becoming Darth Vader... That would have to be the ultimate irony.

theEviljedi
I don't think Lucas would have a sucide itempt in a movie more kids go to then adults.

Dim
Well, with my idea I think GL could play it more like he's trying to get away rather than kill himself. I don't think he would not show an attempted suicide though because it I think it would help alot of kids relate to Anakin. I put this in the same catagory as Vader chopping off Lukes hand. It's parental violence but it relates well to the story so Lucas has never really gotten critized about it. I can't imagine how EP3 is going to be dark if something really psychologially tramatic like this doesn't happen to Anakin. Lucas is going to have to show that he's a very self destructive young man...I think this would be a great way to show that.

theEviljedi
Hey I'm all for a bloody battle to end Star Wars I just don't think Lucas is.

theEviljedi
Sorry if I sounded like a gore freak.Trust me I'm not.

theEviljedi
There,fixed my signiture.

Dim
Hehehe...Xiz isn't going to like that one bit laughing out loud

Ratcat
Back on Topic: I think it would have to be portrayed in a similar way to the Obi Wan Scene in ANH when he salutes with his saber and Vader cuts him down.

As they battle they could be arguing over Anakins use of dark powers, very simlar to ANH, in fact with clever scripting in the battle scene it could be reverse related to the ANH scene to put that in a different light. It would be a great treat for the fans.

Something like.

OB1: "Anakin, your anger and hate will lead you to the dark side."
Ani: "Yes! And that route will makew me more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

But also, imagine that OB1 does talk him round but Anakin thinks that he is already too far gone to be redeemed.

He salutes and takes a step off of the cliff and falls towards the hot lava below.

It could be presented very much like a mix of the Terminator II scene and Alien III. Just a thought or two for a Monday morning.

Dim
I don't know RC...I kind of picture Anakin more crying and in emotional distress as he leaps into the pit....The audience is going to have to be able to feel his despair. I think the scene needs to relate a surrendering to the dark side rather than having a triumphant feeling like TerminatorII and AlienIII.

Ratcat
Actually Dim, on reflection I agree though I still like the idea of making the jump. It has to be a careful balance of the suffering, emotional distress and the recognition of having no other option for the greater good.

The T2 and A3 idea sounded cool when I first wrote it down but you're right, it wouldn't work.

King Jedi
I think that Luke falling in Cloud City and Obi-Wans death are both similar to what I was talking about so I do think Lucas would use it. Here is how I think the scene should be-

Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda and Palpatine are all on a very volcanic planet. Palpatine and Anakin have lured the two Jedi there as they are the only two left and have to be destroyed.

Obi-Wan and Yoda still think that Anakin can be saved.
There is a feirce battle where Anakin fights Obi-Wan and Yoda fights Palpatine using all of there power. Because they are using the force so much the planet starts to break up. They all know that they are going to die if they stay there much longer so the fighting stops.
Anakin is on the edge of the lava pit with Obi-Wan and Yoda trying to convince him to go with them. Palpatine is trying to keep him on the Dark Side. Anakin is distraught and confused as he doesn't know which way to go. He edges closer to the pit and then falls in.
Yoda and Obi-Wan flee the planet while Palpatine saves Anakin from the pit.
The planet explodes.

The main things about this would be the "Did Anakin jump or Did he fall in" debate which would go on for years. I would also like to see a planet blow up because of the force. It would tie in with when Vader says " the ability to destroy a planet is nothing compared to the power of the force".

Dim
Yep, I think most people are warming up to the idea of Anakin jumping...I don't see why a planet should explode though.

Ratcat
Just think of the cool special effects they could .... No, wait, they did that already.

But KJ is right, it would relate nicely to the line from ANH.

King Jedi
I just feel that we have so see a more powerful force rather than just seeing Jedi push droids around.

Dim
Oh, I can see you're point. I think GL would do something else big though. If he blew up a planet it might make EP4 look shabby.

King Jedi
I don't think it would be a problem. I would love to see the force destroy a planet.

Dim
What about something atmospheric instead...maybe a huge storm to catch the jedi by suprise so that the clone forces could attack? The only thing about a force destroying a planet is that if you could do it with the force than why would they build the DeathStar? Lets think of some other big things to destroy instead...

King Jedi
If it is Palpatine, Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin on the planet then you have probably the four most powerfull people all using the force at the same time. Put them on an already unstable planet and it wouldn't take long for it to blow up.

Jedimaster3838
First off I don't think Anakin will try to kill himself, Obi-Wan knocks him in the pit and leaves him for dead. Anakin pulls himself out(not sure how but its going to happen) and joins Palp who builds the Vader suit. I did like the idea though, especially Yoda, Obi, Palp, and Ank/Vad all on one planet and it explodes, maybe that planet would be Naboo, while the queen is on Alderran having the babies. This would explain why we never here of Naboo in the OT and Jar Jar as well. It would be cool to then see Yoda leave for Dagobah, Obi to Alderran to get Luke and take him to his brother on Tatooine. I think EP3 will end with perhaps Yoda and Obi talking about Luke and Leia and one or both describe a foreshadowing of the future, and thus that is why neither can interfere, they know Luke's destiny to win.....probably not, just a thought.

King Jedi
Seeing Naboo destroyed is a good idea and it would explain why we don't see it in the OT. I think Yoda and Obi-Wan will have a discussion about Luke and Leia but think it would be good if they weren't sure if Luke would become a Jedi or fall to the Dark Side like his father. Obi-Wan and Yoda could dissagree about this with Obi-Wan beleiving in Luke so he stays to watch over him, while Yoda who isn't so sure leaves for Degobah.

Jedimaster3838- were you one of the people I e-mailed about this forum?

Jedimaster3838
Yes King

Ratcat
Dagobah, it D A G O B A H , not Degobah!!!!

Sorry to rant but I see Soooooo many people get that wrong and it really irritates me.mad

King Jedi
Sorry.smile Jedimaster- I'm glad you are here as I e-mailed about twenty people and you were the only one who has joined. I was about to give up.

Dim
Welcome to the forum Jedimaster....as you can see some of us are crazy...laughing out loud

King Jedi
Do you think that Anakin will lose his arm during this fight or before it?

Geat Master Brit Hunt
This would never happen. It would suk big time!

Dim
Why wouldn't it happen, give us a reason please smile

Ratcat
He has to loose limbs at some point, after all he has at least one nionic arm in ROTJ. I don't buy that story about the Emperor cutting it off as punishment fopr loosing the Death Star I.

Dim
I think most of his bodily damage was done before ANH..given OB1's comment.

King Jedi
He has to fight in the clone wars and then destroy the Jedi so I think he will loose most of his limbs.

Dim
And they called him..... Stumpylaughing out loud
(I know I shouldn't be laughing because it's gross, but still)

King Jedi
Maybe that is how he got so big. His limbs are mechanical.

Dim
Maybe, but they're pretty proportial to his body..

Great Master Brit Hunt
It would suck because you cant have Anakin accidently becoming Vader!!!!

King Jedi
No it isn't. Anakin would have already turned by this point.

Gundark
KingJedi, I have not received any e mail from you but I just went back and made sure I had all the check boxes right so everything should be okeydokey now. As I am obviously still a padawan here, I'm not up on this force.net thing that everybody here seems to be saying "I have a bad feeling about this". Could someone cut to the chase and give me a short scoop ?

To comment on the question, I don't think Anakin will try to kill himself...this lava thing with him and Obi-Wan has been here since day one. I don't think GL can slime out of it now.

King Jedi
I'm not sure what you mean by theforce.net thing, but thanks for checking your E-mail.

Darth Daft
Personally I don't want the fans to be left confused like King Jedi said. I think that would make the ending unsatisfying not knowing whether Anakin deliberately fell into the pit.
As for suicide not being shown to kids, didn't Luke practically try to commit suicide in TESB?

King Jedi
Yes he did and that's why I think this might happen. Lucas likes to link the story together like this. I don't think that this ending would be unsatisfying as after he goes into the pit the Emperor would get him out and he would become Vader. It would still be Anakins choice to turn to the Dark side in the end. And I don't think Lucas would want to show Obi-Wan defeat and almost kill his best friend.

Darth Daft
Ok good point. And I must admit that Lucas does like to be repetative, especially with Luke and Anakin, as Luke is meant to be becoming like Anakin in Return of the Jedi. That is why he looks at Vader's robotic hand and then at his own.
But still, I'd like to think that Obi-Wan has no choice but to defend himself and knock Anakin into the bit by mistake.
In fact, I could really imagine Anakin holding onto the edge of a cliff after being knocked down and then Obi-Wan reaching out his hand to help him back up.
But still I would rather him not fall into the pit deliberately. If Obi-Wan knocks him in then that would explain Vader wanting to get his revenge in ANH.

King Jedi
I still don't think that Lucas would want Obi-Wan to almost kill Anakin. Remember that he changed the scene between Han and Greedo in ANH special edition so that Greedo shot first.

Dim
Good point KJ, I'm all for Anakin throwing himself into the pit..

Darth Daft
I'm not saying that Obi-Wan will knock Anakin down purposely or in an act of betrayal. He just has to defend himself and has no choice.

Dim
I agree, that sounds the most like OB1 to me..

Jedimaster3838
OB1 will knock Anakin into the pit. Anakin/Vader will be so deep in the dark side he will have no choice. OB1 will try to turn Anakin back but to no avail, something will be said by Anakin, suring OB1 that there is no hope. Anakin jumping in would leave him no reason for wanting revenge on OB1 in ANH. OB1 will knock Anakin in the lava pit, leave to Alderann pick up Luke and head to Dagobah, Yoda says to take him to Tatooine and keep an eye on "this boy, he is one of the last hopes. Clouded his future is, much like his father, lets hope for the sake of the galaxy this time balance is brought......" fade away, and let the credits role.

Darth Daft
Thanx for agreeing with me Dim. And also I don't think Anakin would try to kill himself, because he'll have too many good things going for him, like being one of the rulers of the galaxy alonside the Emperor and being married with children.

King Jedi
But he doesn't know about the children.
And look at it this way. From the age of nine you have been told that you are the "chosen one" and then you become the greatest Jedi ever and a hero in the clone wars. But several very bad things happen to you and you start to turn to the Dark side. You have Yoda and Obi-Wan telling you that your destiny lies with them and Palpatine telling you that you should go with him. How do you possibly choose? You don't so you take the easy way out, only to be saved by Palpatine and then decide that you must join the Dark Side.

Anakin killing himself isn't the main thing that I like about this theory.I like the idea that we never know whether he jumped or if he just fell. It would make the prequels legendary just like the "I am your father" storyline did for the OT.

King Jedi
JM3838- I don't think that Vader wanted revenge on Obi-Wan. Vader managed to kill all of the Jedi except Obi-Wan and Yoda so I think it was just some unfinished buisness. And Obi-Wan was the last real link to Vaders past. He never knew about Luke and Leia so Obi-Wan was the only thing linking him to Anakin Skywalker.

Darth Daft
Okay good points there, but I'd still prefer Obi-Wan to beat Anakin. Obi-Wan is my favourite character in the saga and I'd like him to show Anakin just how good he is and that being the chosen one doesn't mean he can beat anyone he likes.
As I said before, in ANH you can tell Darth Vader is against Obi-Wan because of revenge. It wouldn't make as much sense if Obi-Wan hadn't had knocked him in and instead he had tried to commit suicide.

Jedimaster3838
Thanks for backing me up a little bit, Darth Daft. Obi-Wan is also my favorite character(Han Solo a close 2nd). Anakin jumping or falling just doesn't make sense. OB1/Ben should knock him in, remeber "When we last met i was but the apprentice, now I am the master." When they last fault OB1 defeated him, because he was the master. This tells me that Anakin doesn't jump or fall

Darth Daft
Yes, I completely agree with you JM3838. If Anakin was willing to kill himself to escape from the Dark Side (just like Luke was in Cloud City) then you'd think he'd have the guts to just not join it at all.
I'm sticking with the theorie that Obi-Wan knocks him in.

King Jedi
The idea isn't that he jumps to avoid turning to the dark side, he jumps because he has already turned and he knows that is where his destiny lies.
If this scene takes place at the end of Ep3 then Anakin will have already turned and killed all of the Jedi except two. Obi-Wan and Yoda. He is already Darth Vader. Then Obi-Wan and Yoda show up to try and turn him back and he feels ashamed and helpless because he knows what he has become. He doesn't think there is any way back and is scared so he jumps. He doesn't want to accept that he has become Darth Vader and only does when he is saved by Palpatine and becomes more machine than man.
Luke will of course succeed where Obi-Wan and Yoda failed and turn him back in ROTJ.

Darth Daft
Ok, that's a good theorie and certainly very possible. BUT STILL, I have to stick with my usual theorie that Obi-Wan knocks him in while Anakin is on the Dark Side and is Darth Vader. He is saved by Palpatine and has become even more angered because of what Obi-Wan has done. Nice and simple.
I must admit though, I guess your theorie would explain more about why Darth Vader still has that little bit of good left in him.

King Jedi
Well we will just have to wait and see, but the more I think about this the more I like it.

Geat Master Brit Hunt
I thought it sucked but now I'm beggining to change my mine.

Darth Daft
Me? Heh heh, I'm still sticking.

the Whill
When I first saw this I didn't like it either but now I do. Another twist would be if Obi-Wan and Yoda don't try and save him once he has fallen. They just leave convinced and maybe a bit releived that he is dead.

Dim
Yeah...that might peeve him off just a little. But it's more SW to try to save him..

Fettmaster
I agree with Dim here. Its not like Yoda to just leave someone for dead like that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.