LOTR or matrix

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

hobbit_lover
in my opinion LORD OF THE RIngs is way way way way way better but matrix is good but I just wanna know what other ppl think what movie do you like better lotr or Matrix?

diegocala
Agreed!

SetoKaiba
SOME WHAT AGREE BUT THE OTHER WAY AROUND lotr is great but the matrix is a little bit better.

Tired Hiker
I vote for middle-earth.

MATRIX IS 10 MORE EXCITING AND 10 BETTER

Lord Soth
This poll is subjective and it's impossible to come to a reasonable decsion. Completely different genres and ideas.

Gilraen
Amen !!

total metalhead
i prefer the Matrix but I agree, you can't really compare them.

saucybird007
Thats a hard one!! messed

ummm, i would have to say LOTR though.
Matrix is a wicked film dont get me wrong. smile

Darth Revan
Hmm.... Not sure. I keep going back and forth between the two. How about this: For action, the Matrix. For cool poetry and the baddest assed medieval weapons, LOTR.

Darth Revan
Overall though the Matrix. LOTR rocks, but..
TWINS!!!! LOBBY!!!!!!!!! LOTS A GUNS!!!!

billyboyd4ever
LOTR ALL THE WAY!!!!!
ive never actually seen the 3rd matrix....but i bet i will cuz a ton of my friends are going...buut i just watched reloaded last nite it sucked!!!! seriously--too many fights, too much use of the special effects, crappy actin gon keanu reeves's part, etc. tho i have to say matrix 1 was pretty cool...
the only way i could complain about lotr is w/the changes from the book but thats not a very big deal...

Discos
Lord of the rings definetly has to be better, I cant believe they actual squeezed the entire story into 3 movies, perhaps that is why there is the extended versions.

Darkweaver
The Matrix, even though Revolutions disappointed a bit.

LOTR is good but the second movie, Two Towers, was pretty slow.

AMADEUS
all of the matrix movies stink.
lotr is the best.

nazgulinthedark
lotr, i haven't really seen the matrix, exept for about 5 minutes in the first one

BingaBonga
hasn't there been a thousand threads like this? Oh well, anyway lotr, all the way, it's a classic... matrix 1 & 2 are awesome, revolutions blowed, no offense to people who liked it, but from the reviews i read, idk... but anyway...

SilverFighter
If Reloaded and Revolutions weren't so complicated to understand (and too technical) I would say it's a tie. But since it's too hard to follow the story of the two Matrix sequels....... I go with LOTR.

Fellowship of the Ring vs Matrix (tie)
The Two towers vs Reloaded (TTT)
Return of the King vs. Revolutions (?)

noneok
im sayin matrix 1 and 3 two wasnt even a movie

johnnys#1 fan
I heard the 3rd matrix was really boring and the 2nd is alright but it wasn't as good as the first one but so far lord of the rings is a masterpiece! the fellowship and the two towers and I'm sure Return of the king is awsome smile

*dRaCo lUvEr*
er.. LOTR ROX!!!!!!!!! Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

lil bitchiness
Matrix......

Lord Soth
I have a detailed breakdown somewhere in this forum......big grin

Lord Soth
I'll post the link when I find it.
When I do, look for the green words big grin

Lord Soth
Here it is......found it big grin

1. Matrix fans enjoy their movie because of it's originality, the philosophy, the effects, and ties to anime and other Japanese culture

2. LotR fans enjoy their movie because of its mastery of emotion, seeming to make you burst into tears and give you hope all in one heart-wrenching moment; the fantasy ties as opposed to science-fiction, and the moral values.

My feelings:

1. They balance each other out. Matrix brings intense philiosophy and the idea of our race being trapped within a dream; a very interesting concept. However, it is emotionally dead has has very little story

2. LotR, on the other hand, brings intense morality and strength in believing. Good fighting evil under seemingly impossible odds and prevailing due to the tenacity of 2 little hobbits is quite moving. But, the dialogue can get quite boring, and there are too many characters to keep track of.

In conclusion, I say that they are both good in their own respects. Lord of the Rings if you want a moving story, Matrix if you're looking for eye-popping visual effects and original ideas

Lord Soth
This help?

Angelsolovely
I like the way U worded that Lord Soth. I wouldn't dare to choose between the 2. I love them both for different reasons.

fini
LOTR

redgirl_bkk

T
H
E

M
A
T
R
I
X

Lord Soth
Please....call me Soth, so much more casual big grinbig grinbig grin

cookies2006
i like matrix better, but SW is the best. Sorry i had 2 say that.

Lord Soth
You should say that. But again, that's subjective. It can't be compared to LotR or Matrix. All three are so different on so many levels, it would extremely difficult, nigh impossible, to come to any sort of reasonable decison on the matter. They're all on the same level by way of how good they are, how they've imapcted the movies are made, but nothing else.

ragesRemorse
SW ep 1 and 2 shouldnt be compared to anything but crap. I think matrix is funner to watch than LOTR

Lord Soth
True, I forgot to exclued 1 and 2 from that little tirade....big grin

Matrix is very fun to watch, but not necessarily more fun (it's more fun, not funner big grin). It depends on what mood you're in

ragesRemorse
I dont really think it matters what mood i;m in. It's usally always funner.

Tired Hiker
I don't think any of these movies even exist.

ch0g0nda
While we're at it.. Which do you like better? Apples or Oranges?

Lord Soth
Stawberries

johnnys#1 fan
lord of the rings ppl!!!!! its a really great story the best ever by the way I loved reading it!!!! I found other than the fighting scenes awsome!! but the rest of the matrix I thought was bring!!! sleep

Fitch
LOTR all the way !!!!

slinger
I think they're both great trilogies but I'm a true Matrix fan, a Matrixier if you will. stick out tongue

Puppet Of Doom
Lord of the Rings!!! Nine hours worth of perfect wonderful excellent film. It's really big over here of course (New Zealand). The story is complex yet easy enough to understand, the themes are strong and even profound. Brilliant.

Personally I thought the Matrix sucked copious amounts of ass, it was really hard to follow and had plenty of unnecessary violence. Please don't kill me! *hides*

Kes
Has it was said before hundreds of times comparing these 2 movies is wrong.
Both have enriched the movie industry but in different ways.
I like LOTR, its a big ass production. And thats why I think it was so famouse. Because 1 huge movie broken into 3.
To tell you the truth thats the only reason I had even heard of LOTR.
I liked it but the dialogues kinda annoy me cos they remind me its just a movie. Plus I can feel the 3hrs I'm sitting there!
I love the 1st Matrix, amazing visuals and a very rich story. You catch new things with every new time you watch. The sequels arent has good but they are still innovative and enjoyable.
I have never expected a movie has much as the Matrix so thats where my vote goes.

Lord Soth
Mostly by me big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin

Lord Soth
While the poem in my sig might suggest that I'm biased towards LotR, that is inaccurate. The Matrix just doesn't have any good poems stick out tongue

CaptainClaire
I am not a Matirx fan...I haven't even seen the first one in full. Too confusing for my simple brain confused ! LOTR all the way!

BingaBonga
they're both good trologies, but lotr is an AWESOME trology

LindsIsTightK
Matrix being the reason I joined KMC in the first place that would be my obvious vote.

Lord Soth
One would think stick out tongue

BOPRecruit 16
both movies did great in action and special effects, but lotr had a more stable story and long time presence than matrix. story was kind of down hill after first matrix. action was great though!

bLooMiLiCioUs
LOTR all da way - its more complex in depth and literary - not for da lil minds out there - i feel matrix has just a lil tooooo much action 4 me to endure - and all those extra slow scenes too!!!ugh

DeathDealer
Very and Oh so true!!!

Julie
they could have made the matrix into one good movie

ivyem
i like lotr......

BackFire
LOTR by lightyears.

Fire
what is it with all these X or LOTR polls lately

smile but yea lotr by far/ if you consider them in the general movie gerne

in their own gerne well LOTR still is on top, and if I may have the freedom to call the matrix a scifi movie, well NOT on top

Lord Soth
Lord of the Rings has a clearly defined story, while the Matrix is nothing but mindless action punctuated by an incoherent plot

plenTpak52
All you people saying you cant compare the two moives just dont want to hurt the other side's feelings. LOTR is better.

Lord Soth
No, it really is hard to compare. Completely different elements, different genre, no relation in characterization, battle sequences are polar opposite in design and choreography.....

bLooMiLiCioUs
HEAR HEAR!!!big grin

wait i sec i think i feel a sense of deja vu here.........wink

Korri
That really is a stupid question...as much as i like Lord of the Rings the matrix is by far better

Lord Soth
While I believe that the first Matrix could be fairly compared to LotR, Reloaded and Revo. have no sense of style, no heart, and a very unclear plot

cgtuna21
Lord of the Rings definitely. It's my favorite trilogy. It's way way way better. Even though the matrix was awesome. Im just more obsessed with Lord of the Rings. If they just stuck with the 1st Matrix then it be kinda close but Lord of the Rings would still beat it.

mook
i like them both but prefer the Matrix - i wasnt into the books or anything before the films tho.

however the LOTR trilogy isnt finished yet so we cant really judge it - what if ROTK is a huge disappointment?!

Lord Soth
If my vibes are incorrect, then RotK will not only kick Matrix's ass, it'll take home a whole bunch of Oscars

BOPRecruit 16
yes that's true, the story is more stable and easier to understand than matrix. i do hope it wins awards.

bLooMiLiCioUs
of COURSE it will!!!!eek!

Alias Neo
the matrix is better

bLooMiLiCioUs
stick out tongue

philis
lord of the rings is fantastic. i think it is beeter than the matrix 2 Happy Dance rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud eek!

crazy_c
The matrix is more exciting. I think lotr was a little boring.

Lord Soth
But LotR has a story that has withstood the test of time, something that Matrix can't boast

bLooMiLiCioUs
that's SO TRUE

plenTpak52
It's only hard to compare if you compare them in detail. Just compare them by their general factors such as acting (LOTR by so far that its mind blowing), dialogue, continuity, the way the story is told, etc. Just stuff like that that you can compare to anything.

That is a really stupid thing to say.

BOPRecruit 16
matrix doesn't have much history or enough emotions.

Lord Soth
Okay, fine, so I didn't have to go into such deatail, but it was fun big grin

plenTpak52
Cool wink

bLooMiLiCioUs
that too!

BOPRecruit 16
it's just that the story didn't give a way that made me really care about the characters.

bLooMiLiCioUs
yeah it's like,i wldn't cry at anyth there but i so almost bawled in sam's lil speech - it's like a journey ALL of us are goin on together with them or sumth....it connects sumhow....urms...gettin a li'l sentimental...hahawink

Particleman167
I would say the LOTR books are better then the Matrix, but as movies I think the Matrix comes out on top.

Of course, if I hadn't read the books after seeing the Fellowship of the Ring my opinion might be different because I wouldn't know how much was changed/left out. My opinion of the first movie went down quite a bit after I read the book. I still like it, but the characters and the story in the movie just aren't as...awe-inspriring I guess. For instance Gimli in the books is a very noble character, while in the movies it seems he's mainly a souce of "comic relief".

wicker_man
Can't really compare the two both appeal to different audiences, on a personal note i myself prefer the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Korri
thats rubbish

Kes
The movie has a story, it has 1 of the most amazing stories in recent years. The problem is that keanu and carrie have no chemistry.

kalantiaw
i'm a fan of both films... i have the one ring, which i wear everydy (and it's a great icebreakr for interesting conversations) and i have the "code rain" all over my bedroom door... i would say the matrix if i feel like thinking my brains to a pulp just to understand the subliminal messages (i'm getting there, by the way)... if i wanna see something poetic with big a$$ fight scenes, liv tyler-- who looks in disturbingly hot elven ears, i pick lotr... i think i would say i'm more enthusiastic with the matrix because of its religious ties... buut after seeing revolutions, i'm definitely looking forward to return of the king...

Wolfie
I don't care much for LOTR and I love Matrix so I would have to say Matrix all the way.

Lord Soth
The first Matrix had a story, sure, but Reloaded and Revolutions were just 2.5 hours of mindless action and occasional reminders that there was once a plot to these things

The One Himself
I think it is like comparing apples and bananas Happy Dance (or oranges if want) ...Just another "going anywhere" discussion. roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

thorC
Smith is the next heir of Rohan. Neo will be claim Revendell . Morpheus will marry Sam .
Frodo will throw the ring into the Architect 's face.
Legolas will have marry Gimli and travel to The Galaxi far far away by the NEbuchadnezzar. Aragorn will be one of the survivor who won $1 million. Golllum will be back from Mordor and will send a massage to Darth Veder by calling Fox Morder.

matrix is better

Julie
nope....LOTR......er Starwars beats em both:-)
but that's another thread

Lord Soth
Star Wars 4, 5, 6 might be good enough, but 1+2 can't even hold a candle to LotR

mors823
Very tough decision. I'm more into scifi, so I went with the Matrix, but LotR had a better storyline. Matrix, however, goes much deeper than LotR. Like Lord Soth said, they're two differnet genre's and it depends which one you like more.

Lord Soth
It's hard to remain unbiased, and I find myself leaning toward LotR after Matrix Revo. didn't deliver like I'd hoped

Julie
things that follow so rarely do

Lord Soth
Lord of the Rings is breaking that trend, seeing as Two Towers did better than Fellowship, box-office wise

fini
welll seeing that revolutions fell flat on its face box office wise........ROTK IS GONNA ROCK

Julie
I heartily agree

Lord Soth
The world is behind you on that, Fini

k1rsty
LOTRs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

octapushunter
this is a hard comparison cause they are both such great movies and stories. the fact that they are from different genres is completely moot. they are both movies telling a story expressed in three films and some exteneded media(i.e. books, comics, dvds with extra info). when you compare the first film from both trilogies, matrix spanks lotr hardcore, BUT the strength of the lotr sequals is far superior to those of the matrix. reloaded and two towers are close in comparison(they were both kinda weak w/tt sucking less) but rotk kicks the everliving crap out of revolutions in length and quality.
overall winner;
lotr

i love myself
octapushunter

passerby03
I have seen all 3 Matrix movies and am still waiting for the final installment to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. But with all the hype, paperwork, and my own perspective...I think LOTR soars above the Matrix from my relative point of view. First of all, I'm into the genre. Next, I believe LOTR has much room for eye candy, and they did it great. Third, I think LOTR movies turned out more understandable by script than philosophical propositions I heard in the Matrix trio. But I believe both movies post excellent lessons to live by- most of them relating to hope and love. Hmmm...well, in my opinion, watching LOTR is friendlier to a wider array of audiences. And it did live up to all the expectations. But all hail to both productions- they were both revolutionary. It was just that LOTR had more advantageous grounds to hold on. Thanks and Season's greetings! zorro

BOPRecruit 16
yeah, matrix didn't make a whole lot of sense in some ways.

speiderman
hi everyone. I think Lord of the Rings is better.

jetzhere101
i really luv lotr but here is where i think the matrix takes the cake.....insane stunts,cool trix,fashion, bullet time and agent smiths conversation..........the philosophies and the depth of the rabbit hole and the cookies attached.........

BackFire
the depth is about 3 inches.

Nightmare
The Matrix= crap

Lotr= EXCELLENT

end of debate

johnnys#1 fan
Agreed!!

leaf_eater
LOTR KICK ASS!!!!

Lipsticktraces
I am totally a Middle-Earth fan, but I absolutely love the Matrix.... Hmmm. I'd say, too different for comparison. I love them both in completely different ways. cool

My name is Neo9
matrix 1 is the equivalent of lotr3, different genres, but the two imho, are the best movies of all time

BOPRecruit 16
yeah, you can't or shouldn't really compare lotr to matrix or lotr to hp. too different.

Lord Soth
I had a long breakdown about that earlier in this thread. They are far too different to compar on any level other than popularity

claidisa_felton
the thing with them is, matrix 1 was decent. 2 and 3 were sucky.
lotr 1, 2 and 3 were amazingly spectacularly brilliant, so...you get where im going!!

BOPRecruit 16
i'll be hapy to back that up, claidisa!

Pipage558
I like LOTR better because I understood it better than the Matrix!

hobbit_lover
Lord of the rings totally beat Matrix in box office hee hee

Fellowship= 95% matrix 1= 86%
The two towers=98% matrix 2= 74%
THE RETURN OF THE KING!!!=98% Matrix 3=36% ahahahahahaha Go lotr!!!!

Lord of the rings is by far the best movie The Matrix sucked ass

Kitoky
This is an impossible choice to make, I mean even though I haven't seen the last two Matrix movies I'm sure that it's awesome but I assume that it's all bang bang kiss kiss and we all go home happy.

Overall I think Lord of the Rings is better because it has so many different genres in it.

Fallen Jedi
I choose Lord of the Rings hands down. Sorry, but I didn't really like Matrix that much. I love the first movie; it's guiness. But I never got into its sequels. I didn't like Reloaded or Revolutions. I thought the films could have gone in a different direction.

fini
hmmm after watching ROTK, i can say without a single doubt that LOTR RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lil bitchiness
Im gonna have to agree actually...i saidMatrix at first, but now im gonna have to say LOTR...with out a doubt yes

matrix is way better than lotr..the plot of lotr and dialogue and ending is all corny, typical, and predictable....BORING....
the matrix offered something orginal and new, something that made you think about not just the matrix world and the movie but about he world we live in, it's meaning(if their is any) and our purpose(if there is any)...AND THAT makes for a great movie, finally something fresh-it's about time we thought about these things instead of the typical "good vs evil" crap...the matrix wasn't about good vs evil, but was about one mentality vs another....

lil bitchiness
The idea was great...the deliverance of that idea horrible...

the idea itself made the matrix surpass lotr overwelmingly
as people have said lotr brings out emotions in people
the matrix asks us WHY it brings out emotion in us

Fallen Jedi
I Agree. I really like the first one, but its sequals were a disappointment.

rianna_d
No... TOLKIEN'S genious surpass MATRIX overwelmingly! and I agree, the idea was great... but WOW it was all ruined, you can't compare LOTR to that crap... I'm sorry, but that's what it is ..in MO... I really really liked the 1rst Matrix movie... but now, I'm gonna pretend that Reloaded and Revolutions never existed...

tolkien's genius? WHAT GENIUS? making a world full of made up characters? Anyone can do that if they put in enough time and effort...it's not genius, it's just hard work....matrix did something that was never done before and it seriously asked us to look at the lives we lead, ask us why we're even doing this...and that's the true value of the films-it's not just another movie, it's an idea but shown on film...a very valuable idea....any movie or book can do what LOTR trilogy did, it just takes time and effort, it's not something you have to spend days pondering..many people have said they don't even understand the last two matrixes, well there you go, those select few maybe should try to dig deeper into these movies than action, specil affects, and acting...that's not the core of the movies and i think people fail to realize that...matrix takes more thought to appreciate and maybe that's why not many people like it-humans are dumb

Fallen Jedi
All this crap coming from a guy who chooses Spiderman over LOTR. roll eyes (sarcastic) Get real.

see...this is why things turn to bashing macthes "fallen jedi"...you say these rude, sarcastic, etc comments and you don't even back it up...and that's why i end up saying you're an idiot because you DON'T back it up...why is my opinion stupid or not have the right to be heard? because it's not the same as yours or other peoples?

talk about ignorance and prejudice

rianna_d
Ooooook roll eyes (sarcastic)

In LOTR the idea was great...the deliverance of that idea was wonderful!
I say it again...TOLKIEN'S genious surpass MATRIX overwelmingly!

the idea wasn't great...it's overdone and the simpilist of ideas...good vs evil has been a theme in every story since the bible and even before that...it's old!

the idea of the matrix is fresh and it made you think differently-well those who understand it anyway

Fallen Jedi
Completly agree with you rianna d! thumb up rock

Refer to the thread you started, and there you will see some of my reasoning. And I never said you didn't have the right to be heard. You said that, not me. I just completelty disagree with you, that's all. You are entitle to your own opinion. So go a head a voice whatever crap that tumbles out of your mouth.

...again bashing

you sound like a kid

Fallen Jedi
Oh, okay. roll eyes (sarcastic) Lame remark. Please try to think of something more origial and sophisticated. LOTR rocks and that's all I'm gonna say. You like the Matrix and Spiderman more than LOTR. Okay, we get that. Moving on....

but i don't need to think of something more original and sophisticated i'll have the masses buy into the same thing cool

i'm out, peace

Bungee_toad
i like lotr alot but it dosen't beet the matrix, even though i was truely dissapointed in the third film.

Kes
Ppl please lets nota rgue,ok?!Thanks.

BackFire
If you aren't going to allow arguing then you might as well close this thread right now.

Actually, you may want to close this thread now anyways, it's provided everything that it's going to provide that is worthwhile.

lil bitchiness
Absolutely....Matrix 1 beats them all, but LOTR is better triology overall!

Kes
What I mean is no bashing.

BackFire
much better.

lil bitchiness
Are you talking aboutthe triologies confused

I wasnt so amused when i got out of the Matrix : Revolutions

I liked how LOTR was done!! thumb up even though i at first said Matrix over LOTR, Im changing my mind.....totally...

johnnys#1 fan
good job lil bitchiness you made the right choice!

bLooMiLiCioUs
LOTR all the way.

ragesRemorse
matrix is funner. LOTR got repetitive. The battles, the inspiring momments before and after the gloom in each film happend on key and mirrored the way each emotions were portrayed on film. Also for an epic story we diddnt get to know the characters very well, and they diddnt seem to change untill at the end of the last film. Good film making my ass, all LOTR is, is a great musical score, Good acting, and a fetish for looking at details. These three aspects came together to create a shroud deciet to take your attention away of poor, slow paced presentation of a story that is retold with each installment

thank you finally a different perspective

jetzhere101
the matrix rulz agreed on the fact the comparison cant be made but as 4 me what i think is that matrix runs deeeeeeep it makes u think it also can be considered as a metaphor for religion.......and i dont think there r many movies which can bridge the gap bet. sci, philo, religion and succeed in doing so............

i luv lotr a lot but matrix is my 1st preference..........

ragesRemorse
I to think matrix did a great job of creating multiple perceptions. It is a movie that had depth. If the story caught your intrest then you were obviously going to pay attention to all the little details, and be introduced to a world with many meanings. However if at first the story diddnt quite grab ahold of you. You werent going to be as intent on the details of the film as you would be if it did intrest you at first. Then you would start to lose intrest when the story appeared to get complicated. This is why many people diddnt get the story or said the movie concentrated to much on selling a philosophy. where as if you were on of the people who were enthralled with the movie. It was very simple to follow, and the philosophies diddnt appear to be being sold to you, but being told to give the characters and story depth,and sort of contradiction, which good and evil is full of. This is where i think they could have done a better job on the imformation they chose todisclose and chose not to disclose. But of course all great cult films do just this. And i will always have the expierence i took away from it so screw everyone else

Thomas Anderson
Matrix. Unfortunately, I just can't get into LOTR like I did Matrix. I wish I could, because I haven't seen TTT or ROTK yet and it'd give something to look forward to. I want to see the films, but I'm not going to burst with anticipation like I was doing for the Matrix sequels.

Fallen Jedi
Well, LOTR just gets better with each movie. I strongly recommend that you watch the films.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>