Dune - miniseries

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

queeq
I finally got my hands on a DVD with the tv series Dune. And I watched it all on one day. It was very enjoyable, but I was also a bit disappointed. It made me appreciate Lynch's 1984 film (which I always loved despite its shortcomings) even more. I must say, Lynch really did an excellent job if I see this series.

A few of my problems with this series:

1. Lousy photoshoppy background, not ONE shot in a real desert
2. Crappy and cheap looking effects
3. THey still didn't manage to make the blue-in-blue eyes properly
4. Paul is TOTALLY unsympathetic, some messiah.
5. Casting is nowhere near as good as in Lynch's Dune
6. Bene gesserit are a laugh, not impressive at all
7. the Harkonnen did not strike me as violent and brutal as the book has them
8. Odd colour lighting, but that's a director's choice.

Trust me, I did enjoy it but now I want to have Lynch's Dune on DVD. Hehehehehe.

Any thoughts on either the series or the 1984 film?

yerssot
Dune?

Ratcat
Never seen any version of Dune.

finti

queeq
Jamis that is. big grin

Well, you should. I can't believe how Lynch managed to incorporate storylines that span the whole film and they didn't manage to do that with this kind of length.

No Dune? One of the major inspirations to SW? Amazing...

Ratcat
What can I say? It never appealed to me at the time. Maybe I will have to rent it sometime.

queeq
Try the book first. It appears to be fairly unfilmable.

Ratcat
I seem to remember that looking at the size of the book is what put me off in the first place...

queeq
I know. And no pictures! stick out tongue

Ratcat
Not quite what I meant...

But after hearing a bit about the film and seeing how large the novel was I didn't think it was a story that I would sustain interest in for long enough.

I wasn't much for big novels back then.

I dunno, maybe I will, maybe not.

queeq
I always liked big novels. Even now.

Ratcat
I like big novels, but it has to be something I really wnat to read.

queeq
Well, all I can say is that Dune is quite a complex sci-fi fantasy type of novel. Sort of a mix between SW and Tolkien.

Ratcat
Now Tolkien I like sometimes.

queeq
There you go. In fact, you'll see a lot of SW in Dune, definately one of the inspirations for GL I'm sure. Desert planet, twin moons (as opposed to twin suns), Bene GEsserit Sisterhood (comparible somewhat to Jedi), evil Emperor ruling the Universe.... a lot of details as well.

finti
Spice wink

queeq
Yummy.

Texas
I thought it was really cheesy when that fat gay guy got shot and he was just floating there, it looked sooooo cheap roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
I don't think an Evil Emperor ruling the Universe came from Dune; it was from Asimov.

I think the mini-series starts tonight in the UK on Sci-Fi; maybe tomorrow, but I will take a look.

queeq, to be honest I had absolutely no sympathy for Paul in the book, either. I thought he was a stuck up little sod and someone should take him out ASAP.

queeq
Really? I never had that, but I have to read it again. It's been many years. He is stuck up in the series, very in fact.

Anyway, I liked Paul in Lynch's version better. Better actor too.

And yes, the effects are sometimes very crappy. Even huge matte lines are showing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.