best setting for a horror movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cowboyography
whats your favorite setting in a horror movie? here are a few of my favorite Atmosphere films
1- Session 9 - the old asylum was perfect!! so creepy
2- The Thing - The isolation felt in antartica was awsome!
3- Dawn of the Dead - The Mall is a landmark in horror movies!!

BidMyBlood2Run
The Exoricst- a real town, on a real street, in a real house about a normal little girl.

Cowboyography
i would also put the shining on the list, I live about a half an hour frm the real hotel, The Stanley Hotel. It has a very scary atmosphere even when crowded!!

HockeyFace
The Myers House from Halloween was pretty good for the Halloween films.

Micheal_Myers
The Amityville House from the Amityville Horror, since its a real house
and the Myers House, since Halloween is my favorite Horror series and Myers is my favorte killer... cool

xblanex
Dude the asylum from session 9 is the next town over from me kids break in there all the time

Graveyard Shift
Old asylum in Session 9 was great.

The outer space colonies in Alien was spectacular.

The haunted house in Amityville horror is the one of the best because it is the antagonist.

Deserted area in Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's a great setting because it's so out there and it creates a feeling of mystery.

roughrider
The Nostromo spaceship setting in Alien. Completely closed in, outer space, only way to escape is to get past the monster, who is nearly impossible to kill with what they have.

The lost-in-the-woods setting of The Blair Witch Project, capped off with that old building in the climax.

The family homes in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Hallowe'en. Dark stairways have haunted me ever since.

coolmovies
The alien planit was terrifying dark and dusty

jaden101
Originally posted by Cowboyography
i would also put the shining on the list, I live about a half an hour frm the real hotel, The Stanley Hotel. It has a very scary atmosphere even when crowded!!

was it just the interior used in the film...cause i'm pretty sure the exterior shits were the timberline lodge

Vash_4_prez
The middle of nowhere houses in movies like TCM, Psycho, Night of the Living Dead, etc., just send chills because there's noone around to hear your yells for help.

zizack
I love the Movie Theater setting in "Popcorn."

The mall in "Dawn of the Dead" was great as well.

Cowboyography
Wow, I started this thread three years ago, and here it is on page one!!

SithSpy
I think the main thing for horror is to find somewhere that people still feel as totally safe........then exploit the hell out of it

papabeard
The Subway setting in Creep was pretty effective although the film itself wasnt great. It also features in American Werewolf in London.

The old cabin in the woods in Evil Dead also.

Graveyard Shift
Originally posted by Cowboyography
Wow, I started this thread three years ago, and here it is on page one!!

Yeah, it's because I upped it.

Roland
Originally posted by SithSpy
I think the main thing for horror is to find somewhere that people still feel as totally safe........then exploit the hell out of it

yes

Like a person's house. shock

tabby999
or the supermarket. i think its time we see "The Tesco Chainsaw Massacre"

BackFire
Suburbia. There's nothing scary about an old asylum, or an old haunted isolated house, or antarctica, for me because I am never going to be in any of those places. What's frightening is the thought of evil lurking in places I actually frequent, like a residential neighborhood.

systemshock2
The desert setting in the Hills have Eyes was really great. So desolate, with such antique buildings and homes. The inside of the mutant's homes was even creepier.

But no setting beats Silent Hill IMO. From the Ashen streets at first, to the creepy-as-hell atmosphere it changes to once the darkness comes. I especially liked the dark looking alleys Rose has to run through, the pourous bathroom with that janitor, the blood soaked hospital with the nurses, all of it worked beautifully.

Graveyard Shift
Originally posted by BackFire
Suburbia. There's nothing scary about an old asylum, or an old haunted isolated house, or antarctica, for me because I am never going to be in any of those places. What's frightening is the thought of evil lurking in places I actually frequent, like a residential neighborhood.

Yes, but what makes an atmosphere great, in my opinion, is if it immerses you in it, making you feel like your mind is roaming inside of it, that you're infact in it. The Session 9 setting made me feel like I was physically in this wide open space, and that made me feel great.

Graveyard Shift
testing

allofyousuckkk
middle of nowhere movies depress me lol

in napoleon dynamite i got depressed because they're in the middle of nowhere and everyone seems so not human....its creepy

idk if anyone can relate, but i feel as though if i were trapped there i would kill myself

ADarksideJedi
an asylum and a hunted house.jmtv_horror

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.