Memento!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FLIPMODE
I saw Memento, and while I was excited through out the whole movie, I have to say the Ending let me down. And Almost makes me think...What was he thinking with and Ending like that. It's almost as if, the viewer wasted his or her time. It's Like they were scared to come up with a solid straight forward ending.

Making people think at the end is not always a great thing, especially when they're thinking through-out the whole length of the movie. It's just one of those movies, (because of such a sloppy ending) you can just pick apart. It's like the ending messed the whole previous 2 hours up. If I had shut the movie off before the last scene, I would have thought I saw a Perfect movie.

OK, even though the whole expliniation in the last scene totally destroyed the movie for me, let me get off of my chest, what I lable as poor writing, and I think is the stupidest, un-thought out part of the story.

(Spolier)
(The guy from the Matrix character, forget his name) WHY OH WHY, is his excuse basically: "I've been helping you kill people so you can be satisfied!"???? WHY? I can see him helping him find the real killer, and killing him. Great. But after memnto boy forgets this, ---WHY OH WHY DOES THIS COP HELP HIM AGAIN?? HAS HE NO LIFE?? WHAT'S HIS MOTIVE?? HE HAS NONE!

I rationalized: maybe he makes extra money on the side. But that's not it! Even a dumb cop would'nt waste his life like that.

Anyone else?

Dim
I think the whole point was that he was being used by the cop..and honestly we never know if we can actually trust what he says..so we never really learn the truth. Plus if Lenny did make up that story about his wife then that means he can make new memories..he's just so screwed up he won't let himself...kinda weird.

Texas
I still dont know why he just didn't buy a mini recorder instead of writing everything down roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
Far harder to keep track of. The photos were visual clues with notes attached; easy enough, Important text-based stuff was tattoed on his body so he couldn'ty POSSIBLY miss them, but a load of recordings woukd have been useless.

I loved the ending, myself.

And as for the cop, did you miss the point or something? He was utterly disillusioned by the whole thing, same way as Lenny. He was doing it to keep him happy. You have to get into his mindset

FLIPMODE
Im Sorry Ush, But thats Pure Crap. Nobody would waste there Life like that!!

We're supposed to believe that? He should have just put him back into the Hospitol after they killed the first guy. The story does'nt even support enough emotion from the cop, for the audience to believe a word he's saying. Much less; he was doing it to keep him happy. Not Even his WIFE, would have done that for him.

I have to disagree that cant be what was intended.

Ushgarak
I think you should take a closer look at the denoument.

Dim
Flip, how do you know if people would waste their lives that way?... I think lots of people are that screwed up..

But more importantly, I think we should consider the fact that this story is unique and a very happy departure from the standard hollywood or even the normal Indie flick. That in itself lends to the enjoyment factor.

FLIPMODE
No, I totally agree with that Dim. I had this feeling I was watching the Best movie I've seen in a long time, until the End.

I just have to lable it as Lazy writing being covered up as, a New artistic approach to a stylish film.

Infact, All they had to do was pick, just ONE of the Many possibilities, they left open in the air.

Everyone I've spoke to about this movie, labled it as an an-satisfying ending, to such a great film.

Answer me this...Where was his wife?? Was she dead or not? Did'nt we deserve to know that? What? According to the cop, his wife did'nt die, so where is she? You mean to tell me, this cop broke a MENTAL? out of the hospital to catch a rapist/attempted killer? Does anyone else find anything stupid about that?---That would seem more reasonable, IF the cop was a mental patient HIMSELF at the same hospital, and then it would make more sense---.

And again lets's say the cop IS telling the truth, and the cop IS that dumb and caring about this mental guy..., It's NOT a payoff in the plot. The only way the movie could have benefited from that plot, would have been to show this more than once. And show us that the cop really is an ally. But that's not possible, because the movie is set up, so everyone is a suspect. You can't trust anyone. So that nonsense at the end about him caring, and him helping the guy get reveange and justice, is just garbage thrown in at the last minute.

99%=great! 1%=Lazy writing, total let down.

Was this in theaters? Im am SO glad I did'nt buy a ticket for it.

Another thing, I did like the Idea a Litle Better that, his lust for reveange is never satisfied, so, he just does it all over again. BUT that has so many flaws in it. And I also dont like the fact the the main character is villinized in the last minute of the movie. Why is this? Because he can just write down that he caught the rapist. Just like he wrote everything else down. It's a little bit of the Opposite as what the movie lead us to believe about him for the first 2hours. Infact, he would have wrote it down, on his hand for the first guy he killed.

The story has more holes than planet of the apes.

FLIPMODE
Oh yeah, and it's ok to nitpick at this movie, because(as the director stated) it's whole purpose is to provoke you (the audience) to use your memory.

And that's another reason why Im dissapointed, they knew what the consequences were for making a film like this. FILL in the holes !! Air tight writing is needed for a project like that.

A great example of virtualy airtight writing is "The 6th sense".

Ushgarak
Nah, that's nonsense. Memento is an example of a perfect short story. Everyone I have spoken to thinks the story is great. MARVELLOUS twist. I wish I could write that well, but it is VERY hard to so short stories.

Look, John G. (the cop) was just blown out over tha faliure to restore Lenny's memories after they caught John G. (the killer), and so decided to give him a never ending supply of John Gs just to keep Lenny happy. As is adeqautely explained at the end.

To make things better, he also used Lenny to kill bad drug dealers like Jimmy, and more than that also made a but on the side (the $200,000 in the car that the cop made sure was there)

It may not be 100% believable, but that's called dramatic licence!

There ARE no holes. That is total garbage. Lenny decided to take out John G (the cop) at the end bvecause he was do distressed at the way he had been led along, the point being that we are led to think that Lenny has been manipulated throughout the whole film when in fact he set up the WHOLE situation himself so he could kill John G (the cop) with a clear conscience and never even know he had done wrong- becase he couldn;t just kill John G (the cop) because as we are constantly reminded, he is not a killer.

It's a perfect pay-off. You don't have to like the film, of course, but saying it had holes is simply inacuurate.

As for his wife? Like I say, watch it again more carefully. Remember what happened to the 'wife' of the guy he talks about to everyone., and look at those flashframes at the end of the film (where, incidentally, he has 'I've done it' tattoed on the place where he said he would do that).

Good clues all. The film presented these to you to fill these areas in, and you should do that.

Playa69er
I agree 100% with the post right above me smile thought the story was amazing and it left u in the dark ... so that maybe for once the auidience can fill in the blanks the story wasnt spoon feed

Senor_Pessoba
yeah.....Lenny(Guy Pearce) is Sammy Jenkis...and you remember what happened to Sammys wife...well there you go...and besides, this is just a movie..who cares if people would actually do something like this or not...we watch movies to see things that dont usually happen in real life...entertainment is what this movie is..and Teddy(Joe Pantoliano) is helping him because he is his friend and he wants to see him happy again, like the first time they found "the killer" in the picture Teddy took of Lenny he is happy, and Teddy just wants to see that face again

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.