Should the OTF be...Part 2

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LanceWindu
I think Raz needs to make the OTF able to not count in people's thread count or post count, just a chat room type deal, without raising any stats.

Then you'll see how many people leave the OTF...

I swear there are members here only for the post and thread counts...

LanceWindu
Don't everyone comment at once.

Neo_Version 7
O-kay, buddy! They should name it like, "Off-Topic the Sequel" or something. BTW, nice 2 have you bacK!

must_kill_Santa
um well i leave but i think i can tal about the best stuff here and the count doesnt even matter

Bhang
There are also members that have made a huge (and I mean HUGE) fuss about leaving for good, and suddenly returned good as new.

This place will always draw you back in!

must_kill_Santa
yepwhat annoys me is when people join then dont post at all

Neo_Version 7
Yup! Thats true. Been guilty with that on more than one occasion.

badkittykitty
why would any one care so much about a post count.our administrator can make mine zero tomorrow and I wouldnt even notice

LanceWindu
I still don't post as much as I used to here Bhang.

I have my own place to post at.

must_kill_Santa
yeah i know you do

LanceWindu
Is your name Bhang?

Neo_Version 7
Hmm...that Zhang Zhi chick is h0T. Jus noticed it now.

Raz
Moving to Suggestions forum...

LindsIsTightK
I think that it would be a good idea to make the posts in there not count because it will show who the true members really are.

I must admit though, it would be quite interesting to see my post count go from 9,000 to maybe 2,000 at the most embarrasment

yerssot
don't know ... the post count is already gone from direct view messed
the only thing that still points at the postcounts are the titles

LindsIsTightK
Also, you can go to the member's list and see the list of top 25 posters there, which is where people usually go to gloat about their ridiculous number of posts. All of those posts which are more then likely completely useless.

I think taking away post count in the OTF is a great idea, it will help show who the true members really are.

Dexx
oh..definitely.
but if you thinkin about it, post and thread count are only numbers afterall. Raz promoted a campaign in wich these numbers have the smaller possible role in the kmc social relations. So they don't actually matter.
the real question should be...should the otf be at all?
and you all know my answer to that stick out tongue

LanceWindu
NO!!!

Neo_Version 7
YES!!!!!!

BackFire
I'd have no problem with that.

Dexx
exactly..it shouldn't

Neo_Version 7
Exactly...it should.

Fitch
disable...

Neo_Version 7
enable

Fitch
everyone with his/her choice...

LindsIsTightK
Well Dexx, unfortunately I don't see the OTF going anywhere any time soon, so at best you can just hope for the disabled post count, which I know I am routing for.

yerssot
this all up to raz of course

LindsIsTightK
It doesn't look to me that post count will be taken from the OTF.

I actually think that taking away the post count from there will make the members who don't like it so much ease up on it and deal with it.

The Force
i could care less, i like the OTF big grin so i probably wouldn't leave

LindsIsTightK
I wouldn't leave the OTF either, it just seems like if it's simply a social forum then why should post count matter?

Dexx
a social forum??..every forum is social (in part anyway) but the otf is CHAT BOARD..it's a big difference

yerssot
make a shoutbox then wink

LindsIsTightK
There would be waaaaaaaaay to many people using the shout box though so that could get out of control. Nice to see that the votes are going up to get it disabled though happy

yerssot
well, you only know that about the shoutbox when you test it wink

LindsIsTightK
With all of the members on KMC? Nobody would be able to keep up with anything because everyone would be making shouts at such a constant rate.

yerssot
if they all would use it

LindsIsTightK
Maybe a shout box in each forum could be an ok idea, but I dunno, I think KMC is just fine without something like that.

LanceWindu
Speaking of...

yerssot
yeah, I kinda was messed

Raz
I can understand what Lance and Linds are saying. That is the exact reason post counts were removed from each post.

yerssot
if you completely want people to stop thinking about postcounts, it's better to remove the forum titles and the top20 and such

LindsIsTightK
Even though I think that was a good decision, I think the majority of people actually base it on the top 25 posters in the member list.

As for what yerss said, maybe we could keep the titles, just make them much harder to come by. I for one don't even like being a forum lord, it makes me sound like a guy. messed

Dexx
oh..that's right..you're a girl...i had forgotten stick out tongue evil face

Raz
You might want to use the KMC default style.

It shows no dots or post counts.

Fire
but does it still show the titles

cause I think those are cool and helpful

LindsIsTightK
Gee thanks a lot Dexx roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

I usually switch back and forth between what styles I use a lot so I will probably switch to the default style soon anyways.

wicker_man
Ok going completley on first hand experience here, another forum i have visted has no post count within its OTF and the threads generated are far more policed but when i look at the current situation happening in KMC, their are a number of problems present:
For a start those concerned with high postage counts could merly move to other 'post counting' forums and cause unesseray disruption to it.
The 'other' forum in question was aimed at soley one topic which had a series of sub fields so their otf consisted of everything from Music to Films and TV & Games areas of which have been covered already in KMC, so i do not know how this would affect KMC.

LindsIsTightK
People would definitely move on to the other forums, and most likely start making a lot of useless posts there too just for post count, but that is what our moderators are for. The mods can help keep spamming and disruption under control.

wicker_man
I totally see your point their Linds, but the mods are only human and have other commitments as well as policing their respective areas, they cannot be on 24/7, particualar if this idea was to be enforced these affected forum mods could soon find themselves becoming inundated with useless and spamming threads.

yerssot
" to linds you listen, save you it can" wink

LindsIsTightK
Yerss I couldn't have said it better myself cool

It's my opinion that when you accept the job as a moderator you accept that that is what you are going to have to do. Granted, the mods may not be on 24/7, but we have enough of them to where there should be atleast one mod on at all times.

yerssot
perhaps more supermods?

Raz
There shall be in due course.

yerssot
"But I was going to Toshi Station to pick up some power converters!"
(hey, it's the most whiny-est voice I ever heard wink)

LindsIsTightK
Well with more JC mods things will run a lot more smoothly around here.

By the way, how did we go from the OTF not having a post count to more mods?

*goes back to read previous posts*

Dexx
well....about the time yerssot stepped in the conv smile, doh!

yerssot
all down to pure luck, I guess wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.