Member of the Day

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Just a quick question- what IS that, exactly?

Ratcat
I think a different member is highlighted as member of the day. Saw it yesterday but todays MOTD is a zero poster with no profile and yesterdays had only a couple of posts I think. sad

Suggestion: Why not have it so that only members with post count show up? Otherwise you will alsways have more chance of getting a zero poster rather than an active member.

Just a humble thought.

Raz
The 'member of the day' is chosen *completly* at random - it has no affect on the posting capabilities of that poster.

Its meant to make members feel special, just for that one day wink

Raz
Just changed it so that only members who have bothered to post are selected.

Ratcat
But each of us is special, in our own way.... smile

Ushgarak
I... I'm special?

yerssot
the fast explanation: no!
the slow explanation: d'euh! ofcourse not!
big grin wink wink

ToMacco
Try saying special like 20 times in a row. It's a really goofy sounding word confused

Ushgarak
Raz- perhaps it would work better if it only chose people with, say, 50 or more posts? We are still going to get a lot of totally irrelevant people as it is either too new to really notice or long gone.

yerssot
this can end with only over 10 000 orso...

Raz
Done...although this may cause repeat MoTD's...

Ushgarak
Woo-hoo!

King Jedi
Like a roll-over!

King Jedi
I'm member of the day!

Texas
Maybe if you weren't so mean to Bjork I would have congratulated you stick out tongue
wink

King Jedi
Oh, she deserves it. evil face

Prabhodh
bring back member of the day woot

Mišt
98,099 members...laughing out loud Winning that is as good as winning the lottery.

Captain REX
Pretty much. I don't even remember MotD.

Prabhodh

Clovie
only if you take under consideration only people with over 100 000 postes yes happy

Prabhodh
Originally posted by Clovie
only if you take under consideration only people with over 100 000 postes yes happy

but, but that means only 1 or 2 people can get and not me..... cry

Clovie
1 happy and I want it to be with a piccie dev

Prabhodh
1 happy and I want it to be with a piccie dev

but what about me cry

Clovie
I don't know you huh and you're here only few months.. and judging on number of posts you didn't spend much time here confused

and don't mind me.. it is just some kind of an old game ninja

Captain REX
Originally posted by Prabhodh

eek!

you were around when at the time of MotD?

I think it was discontinued the month before I joined...

Prabhodh
I don't know you huh and you're here only few months.. and judging on number of posts you didn't spend much time here confused

and don't mind me.. it is just some kind of an old game ninja
but i came up with the idea to bring back MotD, so i deserve it schmoll

Originally posted by Captain REX
I think it was discontinued the month before I joined...

i see...

Vinny Valentine
I think we should have MoTD but the member gets something if chosen.

Prabhodh
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
I think we should have MoTD but the member gets something if chosen.

can you explain 'something'...

Vinny Valentine
can you explain 'something'...

A Colored Username?

Thorinn
*wants to win* w00t

Bloigen
*wants to win more* eek!

Thorinn
*wants to win the most* eekw00t

Bloigen
Damn. disgust

Thorinn
it's ok. petpet

Vinny Valentine
I Already won, though.

Thorinn
Originally posted by Bloigen
Damn. disgust

Prabhodh
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
A Colored Username?

that would be fun cool

so do we ask raz if we can have MotD?

Dusty
Would Mods count? embarrasment

Vinny Valentine
Originally posted by Dusty
Would Mods count? embarrasment

No mhm

Impediment
Member of the day seems overrated, if you ask me. We already have a lot of valuable members that do so much.

Dusty
Originally posted by Impediment
Member of the day seems overrated, if you ask me. We already have a lot of valuable members that do so much.

I suppose it can't be rated at all, seeing as it doesn't exist. stick out tongue

Syren
I think it's a good idea...

Mišt

Syren
I'm gonna get you banned, babeh raver

Mišt
Stop sending me nude pictures of yourself in pm's or Ill have to eventually think about reporting you for improper positions raver But you're lucky Im not that much of a hardassraver

Syren
raver

Bardock42
Wow...I just realized...damn....

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I... I'm special?

Well you did your best to reason in the Conspiracy Thread...although your mind is more than likey now in a state of shock...you are indeed...special...

Prabhodh
So Raz, is it a yay or a nay?

Grand_Moff_Gav
Nah!

Prabhodh
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
Nah!

I won't give up until i hear that from Raz.

Mišt
It makes no sense to have it on a board as big as this, 365 members a year get the title, out of 98,864 (as of now) members, it would take 270 years for every member to have the title, and then theres the countless members who join but never post anything, so its redundant for them to get it. Plus add the amount of new members joining everyday, in 3 years the forum has grown from 3000 to 98864, so imagine in another 3 years...

Yay! You're Member of the Day! You joined in 2001 and never made any posts and havent been back since, but you deserve to wear it with pride!w00t

How bummed out would you be if you got it, but you were offline that dayermm You'd have to wait another 270 years minimum before having another go...

The only people this would actually matter to are the ones who hang out in the OTF. Everyone else is too busy talking about things that have a point, than to be distracted by a meaningless title.

Prabhodh

Mišt
And cut off the majority of the forum?

Prabhodh

Mišt
You said here:

Thats only 320 members, so members have a change being member of the day more than once a year.

So...only 320 of the forum population are in the running? That leaves 98544 members who dont get to participate.

Prabhodh

Mišt
I win teh prize!mistw00t

Prabhodh

The Phantom

Ushgarak
It was actually shut off because something was wrong with it.

I'm not sure we ever found out why, but it kept nominating the same people.

Prabhodh
Originally posted by Ushgarak

laughing out loud

So it wasn't because the forum's too big.

TheKingofKINGS!
Bring it back, man.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by TheKingofKINGS!
Bring it back, man. Originally posted by Ushgarak

Raz
I guess we could introduce an algorithm that only picks out active members, and also make sure they aren't picked twice (the problem last time).

Plus, we would need to make sure that the title comes with some perks, so people would actually want the title.

Maybe a mod appointed member of the week may be a better solution.

Grand_Moff_Gav
That sounds good, then you could have secret ballots and stuff...a bigger sig maybe...or naming the OTF after the member of the week, say Grand Moff Gav's Pad or TheKingofKINGS!'s Pad...etc etc

Mišt
Originally posted by Raz
I guess we could introduce an algorithm that only picks out active members, and also make sure they aren't picked twice (the problem last time).

Plus, we would need to make sure that the title comes with some perks, so people would actually want the title.

Maybe a mod appointed member of the week may be a better solution.

What about member per forum? Quite a lot of posters only stick to a particular forum, so whoever mods that forum would have a better knowledge of who could be picked...? Plus with the size of the forum, how would the mods come up with a single member for the award?

SpadeKing

Prabhodh

Mišt
Well, yeah basically. If a member is chosen by the mods, how would they go about the selection process? Theres a whole forum, how would you pick a single member....if it was each forum or whatever, then whoever runs that forum could pick someone. Eg, how would the Harry Potter mod go about choosing someone who doesnt post in the HP forum? How do they know if that poster should get the title?

And look at the Star Wars VS forum for example, half of those dont venture anywhere else, so recieving a forum wide title of 'Member of the day' is kind of pointless if they only stick to one forum, but if it was a single forum award, then they can have some...'pride' or something of contributing to that forum. And say it was for subforums, eg Religion and Philosophy forums, and if they only had say 4 or 5 regular posters, then the award would cover the General Discussion/Religion/Philosophy forums together so they dont have the same 4 or 5 posters receiving each time.

Get me?

TheKingofKINGS!

Prabhodh

Clovie
Originally posted by Raz
Maybe a mod appointed member of the week may be a better solution. that would be unfair.

and I'm against the thing.

SpadeKing
no it wouldn't

Diamonds
that would be unfair.

and I'm against the thing. Only if they only picked that person because they were that persons friend (eg: it would be unfair if Lana picked Barker because they are good mates).

pr1983
If this has been posted already, then i apologise...

but the best way imo is this...

put a thread in each forum, people post who they think deserves it, then the person with the most votes goes forward from each forum... then draw the winners out of a hat...

or have a member of the day for each forum...

though that could be too long for a single day... erm

ladygrim
there was a MOTD ...cool

K.Diddy
confused Where can I view this member of the day thing?

Barker
Originally posted by K.Diddy
confused Where can I view this member of the day thing?
We don't have one at the moment.

Prabhodh
Originally posted by pr1983
If this has been posted already, then i apologise...

but the best way imo is this...

put a thread in each forum, people post who they think deserves it, then the person with the most votes goes forward from each forum... then draw the winners out of a hat...

or have a member of the day for each forum...

though that could be too long for a single day... erm

As you said, it would be a little too long for each day.

As Raz suggested i think we should just introduce an algorithm to choose active members, mods choosing a MOTD would bring controversy.

pr1983
As you said, it would be a little too long for each day.

As Raz suggested i think we should just introduce an algorithm to choose active members, mods choosing a MOTD would bring controversy.

Yeah... though a day, generally, imo is too short... why not a week?

Mods choosing would be controversial, i agree...

Flavio
i like the idea of people voting for one person in each forum (or maybe for a category of forums, like Movie discussion, Comic book movies, Artwork, etc...) for member of the week...
for example, in this week everybody votes in a appropriated thread, and whoever wins, is the member of the week. While he is still the member of the week, the voting goes on, and by the end he/she passes the crown to the person who won and it continues.

get me? tuft

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.