House Elves

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

airangel429
I was thinking........Dobby is always snapping his fingers and disappearing........which appears to be apparating. However Hermoine ALWAYS says that no one can do that according to History of Hogwarts, inside the school premises.........SO do you think he just disappears and leaves the rooms that way???

What do you all think?

Phoenix
I think its WIZARDS who can't apparate/disapparate. House Elves appear to have a deeper, stronger, more ancient magic then wizards, which doesn't need ingredients or magic wands. I think House Elves ARE able to apparate/diapparate.

crazy_rock_chic
yes yeah that makes sense,it confused me for a while too blink

Kristina
Talking about House Elves...what do you think about that whole SPEW thing?! Do you think JKR just wrote it for entertainment or do you think it's important for the plot?!

Maikahyandowen
maybe. only she would know that. it could be in the sixth book or something.

airangel429
might be important if Hermoine headed up a spew campaign after school was finished.

jennyanderson
Hey, here's an idea, maybe Dobby becomes invisible when he snaps his finger, then sneeks out, yeah, that might be it, because Hermione says it all the time that nobody can apparate or disapparate inside Howgarts, not even Voldemort, and thats why Voldy can't apparate either, because if he knew that house elves can apparate inside Hogwarts then he would'v done anything to have that kind of power, and have it too. But pity, because in the movie it's shown that Harry is holding Dobby in his fist and the next second he is gone, I wonder how are they going to explain this to the other fans, it was a really stupid thing to do, they should'v just shown that Harry got surprized that Dobby disappeared thet he let go of his hand almost instantly. Well, I'm guessing that, and it's bound to be maybe, that people wont accept the fact that a common house slave can do a thing with just a snap of it's finger, that even the great Dark Lord can't do, sheesh!

PS: REMEMBER PEOPLE, YOU HEARD THIS FROM ME FIRST.

airangel429
good point

DracotheDragon
huh I think Dobby uses elf magic, whereas wizards and witches use human magic, which is probably what the school has precautions against, so no, Dobby's magic just isn't restricted like humans' is. smile

Phoenix
DracotheDragon has a very good point. The Anti-Apparating Jinx ((as we learn in Book Five)) is a HUMAN spell, and therefore does not apply to non-human's

Maikahyandowen
hermione continuing the campaign outside of school really isn't much of an indication of how important it is. that's just what hermione does. she picks up on things and doesn't leave them alone. kinda funny how she made all those hats and dobby wore them all at the same time. laughing laughing

weegie
ang on, iv just thought about winky, she had harrys wand to conjour the dark mark, if she has powers without a wand then y is it she had 2 use a wand 2 do the magic?

Maikahyandowen
she didn't conjur it. crouch's son did

airangel429
I found this at the HP-Lexicon site:

House-Elves have the ability to Vanish at will. This is not Apparating, although it resembles it; it is a natural ability of the Elf.

airangel429
A THEORY I FOUND......

But socks...that's another story. There are just a couple of references here, but they are intriguing ones. First of all, when Harry asks Dumbledore what he would see if he looked into the Mirror of Erised, Dumbledore said that he would see himself with a nice new pair of thick socks. So, unless he was joking, which he certainly could be, socks are Dumbledore's deepest desire. Socks. Then think about this: who else wanted a sock more than anything in the world? Dobby. And we know that house-elves are just about the most powerful magic-using entities in the world, able to do incredible magic without even using a wand. So is Dumbledore wishing he could release the elves from their centuries of enslavement so they can use their awesome powers to fight Voldemort?

Maikahyandowen
Well, as Harry noted, it was a rather personal question. I don't think he was serious.

Luna150
Ths is about harry holing dobby in hi sfist, In the book harry is hoding dobbys wrist and when he dissapears it said he was holding 'thin air'

airangel429
right....house elves just disappear....so in the movie it would be different. They can't apparate or dissapparate........but they have a different kind of elvish magic. big grin

Luna150
i no just cuz elves can do sum elvish magic dont mean voldemort should no how to do it i mean its like saying If dragons can breath fire so should voldemort

airangel429
YEAH...i think dumbledore is working on getting the elves on his side...and probably already has them...b/c they work in his kitchen!!! big grin

Maikahyandowen
true. but what could they do? oooo! maybe they could be spies for him. that'd be hilarious. dobby as a spy..........

airangel429
no....they have special magic that would help in fighting off dementors....Voldemorts followers...etc.

megajoint
How do u think house elves are moving in the castle ?
the castle is huge!! they can't walk from place to place it will take too much time and there is alot of work to be done every day(laundry,washing dishes,cleaning etc)
they mush apperating from place to place in the castle.
it show's their strong power probably more than wizards.
and SPEW most likly to be important part in the next book
(as well as centaurs(Firenze=big role) and goblins)
what with harry and his wandless magic like house elf in book 5?????

pixie1
they can apparate bcoz dobby comes in and out with a crack

angiethedragon
The house elve in Hogwarts all take comands from almost anyone in the castle That means Dumbledore could easily tell them to use thier full powers against voldemort

pixie1
i think they have alot more power than most wizards witch is why wizard suppress them so much

angiethedragon
Thats what i said all Dumbledore has to do is tell them to use all of that power that they have and they will do it

pixie1
i hope so i would like to see there full power

Maikahyandowen
we don't even know what they're full power is. and considering the general attitude of the death eaters, it would take a considerably large demonstration on the part of the house elves to make them even the slightest bit afraid of them.

Unicor777
WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE IF YOU HAD A HOUSE ELF IN YOUR FAMILY?

HOW WOULD YOU NAME HIM/HER???

Answer one or the two questions and have fun

Like I would name my house elf....... Hobit Dude ( so better change your nick mate) or Shaber cause he wanted to send the bloody baron on mesmilesmilesmile
Jk

ArrghPirateGirl
I would name mine fred (not fred from books) 4 some strange reason i name everythin fred laughing We had 2 disect these mice in sciens & I named him fred and 1 of my fish were fred and I named my sandwich I threw away fred 2 blink

Unicor777
NEXT..........

airangel
Maybe a name from the 7 dwarves........or something with a K.....I tend to name pets...etc K names...........

Klinker.........or seomthing weird...

I had a dog Keegen and another dog was Keno............and the next dog I'm getting I am already looking for a K name! laughing out loud

Just a weird trend with me I suppose

ArrghPirateGirl
Same here..but mines Fred 4 some reason blink

Unicor777
and what would the reason be? Have you ever thought of the reason that drives the decisions?

angelsflame265
if it were a girl i would name in Jenny yes

ladygrim
well i have a pet dog called fluffy so probably call it Baldrick like balckadder

Unicor777
and what would you ask your elf to do for you

1. i would send her to protect Harry, kindda Doby did

2. i would send her in Snape's cabinet and bring me some ingrediants for potions , like polyjoice potion

RaventheOnly
I would send it to its doom no expression i loath gnome like creatures.

ArrghPirateGirl
I would put send mine 2 ........Um *goes 2 think about it*

ladygrim
i wud ask it to tidy my room .. or go round to my old friends house and get all the stff she nicked of me bak

Unicor777
becareful, the old stuff might be cloths .. you don't wanna... or you do?

ladygrim
????

Unicor777
smile

Secosera_TD
I would send mine to get me a beer and order a pizza...its name would be Timmay

Unicor777
I would also send mine here to answer the questions, but instead elf, s/he would read wizardsmile

ArrghPirateGirl
I would make mine do my homework big grin

ladygrim
yeah that sounds like a good task for them .... hmework

Unicor777
or exams, or do my sh.. at work

ladygrim
yup all sounds good

Unicor777
nice sig , ladygrim , i like it more then the previouse one

ladygrim
thnk u ....

Unicor777
NEXT..

ladygrim
hmm

Unicor777
next again

ArrghPirateGirl
LOL laughing

shykittykat
If house elves are more powerful than wizards/witches, how did they become suppressed in the first place?

~Freak-N-Bunny~
I think they must of coz they have bad self esteem problems and like 2 b trodded on

Bit sad aint it stick out tongue

Jackie Malfoy
Maybe it is a mistake in the books.Because magic can't be uesd to do that in Hogwarts or the dark lord can apear there.That is very strange that she did not correct that mistake from the start.JM

cole2005
Can anyone tell me if they think the houes elfs willplay any significent role in the last book?
they have been mentioned so much throughout the series surely JKR wouldnt do that unless there was a point to them!

sasee tiin
perhaps kreacher somehow will help harry....

cole2005
yeah maybe or maybe in like one of the final chapters there is a huge showdown where harry and voldmeort finally fight but theyr surrounded by death eaters fighting the order and DA and also magical creatures fighting and the house elfs come into there own!

RoguePw25
THREADS MERGED. big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.