tupac - topic for discussion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

madsci
This is my first posted topic. I love hip hop music. I have written college papers on the contributions of hip hop to our society as whole. Something other than the current state of hip hop (which should be another thread) truly troubles me. I wanted to know how other hip hop fans, and non fans, felt on this subject.

With all due respect to his art and legacy, I believe that tupac should be allowed to rest in peace. I believe that the releasing of posthumous songs and albums is actually tarnishing his legacy. Although it is not entirely the same, I believe this could be compared to michael jordan's recent return to the NBA as a player. I do not believe it did anything to reinforce the fact that he is the greatest basketball player of all time (the greatest difference being that mj is still alive as tupac is not). As I do not believe that the releasing of subpar recordings will do anything to reinforce the fact that tupac was great and extremely influential on the culture. As I stated earlier, I believe these songs are tarnishing his legacy. He (tupac) didn't want these songs released for a reason, more than likely, the reason being he didn't believe they met the mark for release ( I know this is purely assumption). Does anyone believe that his mother (afeni shakur) is releasing these songs, on her label no less, as a means to make money on her dead son's name and talent?

what do you think? discuss.

madsci
hip hop purist

finti
Record company always sees money in releasing material of dead artist, Tupac is one example, Jeff Buckley is another.

madsci
I could not agree with you more. Unfortunatly, I believe that fans of tupac actually get wrapped up with the emotion of having or hearing a new song, that they forget he did not approve of the song being played. Even worse, in other instances some other flavor of the month rapper is laying down a verse with tupac's, over a beat that was not intended to be used for the song, produced by someone who wasn't even there when the idea of the song in question was discussed. I fear that this will only continue as long as tupac and hip hop are a viable asset to the corporate rap industry.

tupac may you rest in peace one day.

madsci
hip hop purist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.