Rage Against The Machine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Korri
rock they r great

total metalhead
very true rock

Fire
never really liked them

crazy_rock_chic
they're cool rock rock

GABRIEL05
my favorite rock band hands down.

Wonder what Zack is up to?...

h0ck3yh0rr0r
crazy rock chic i like ur avatar.

LindsIsTightK
I never liked them and to be quite honest I'm glad that they broke up.

loserib
i liked them they had some good songs but their politics got anoying

plenTpak52
Rage rules!!! They should have stayed together.

Tom Morello is a ****n amaizing guitarist. What he wrote was so original and not only that, but it was actually GOOD. The best part about him though is you can listen to something and you know its him. Thats how original he is

GABRIEL05
Yeah Tom was a bad ass soloist. He's the most inventive soloist in the mainstream industry.

Korri
PlenT> something we finally agree on What the f**k?

crazy_rock_chic
thank u,i presume u kno its daron malakian from SOAD,they rock rock

Difrycheulyd
Never been that much of a fan....I loved some of the tracks yet seriously loathed others.

Well at least you have 'Audioslave' now.... stick out tongue

loserib
you know whats funny most guitarist i know think that tom blows as a gutarist his soos a very simple and mostly played through his digitech wammy pedal and that gives the effect that he is doing more tyhen he really is

total metalhead
simple doesn't mean bad

loserib
no not all the time like i said i liked rage and some of his solos arnt that bad

plenTpak52
Yea, I mean look at Jack White!

There's a first time for everything

loserib
yeah but simple can get boring after awile. i think more musicians should try to play to the best of their abilty if everybody was playing as best they could all the time music would be so much better

Korri
laughing uve got a point

total metalhead
depends how varied there riffs are. KoRn, Red Hot Chilis and White Stripes all use simple guitar riffs, and there anything but boring.

98R1
I loved em and I'm glad they broke up too
Audio Slave

total metalhead
why's that?

98R1
they broke up
and the group aquired chris cornell
now they are called audio slave

total metalhead
oh yeah

lil bitchiness
RATM was fantastic...Chris Cornell was amazing in Soundgarden, but i dont think him and the rest of the rage....is....ok..confused

They arent political anymore....what happened to Tim..he used to be as political as Zach was...what im trying to say is now, instead of having a uniqe sound like Rage did Aoudioslave sound like any other band does...sad

in flames
RATM one my fav bands ever..i love the way zack wrote his political lyrics and i loved the uniqe guitar solos..but well i kinda got boredo f them after battle of L.A and they never did top there s/t album..so im glad they seperated..now we have audioslave a really great band with a better vocal (chris) and zack is getting his solo carrer and thats great!

loserib
i read an interview with tim saying that he just was not feeling rage anymore he said he felt like it was time to grow up

stinkfist462
they have a few good songs .. but i dont like them too well

loserib
they are all right better then rage garden but i think rage's politacl bullshit just got in the way of the music

amlap
i think that rage, musiclly, were brillent. i love their songs and their sound altogether. i was upset when they called it quits

stinkfist462
RATM is wayyyy better than Audioslave

amlap
god yeah! Audioslave is shit!

SAtown_punk
Audioslave isn't TOO bad, but I believe Soundgarden and Rage were both better. I actually loved Rage for their polital messages. That's why Zack and Tom had that band...to spread their political messages. So I don't see how it got in the way when that's the very reason Rage was formed.

amlap
yeah its amazing how such great musicians from two great bands can form to make a BLAH so-so band.

loserib
yes its also what killed them ive read interviws with tim c saying that he just could not see himself doing music like that when he was old it also got in the way of fans who liked them as musicains but did not agree with what they were saying i am one of those fans i think if you have a mesage in your music you should make it more cryptic so to not turn off other fans if you want to be a politicion then be a politicion

stinkfist462
yeah .. although i had to read that thingy like 8 times to finally get it .
it does make sense .. big grin

dragonpisces272
I liked their songs...I was also downsided when they split up though...

stinkfist462
yeah .. the worse down side .. is that they went to Audioslave sick

amlap
yes

stinkfist462
wink

SAtown_punk
Why would you make your messages cryptic when your ultimate goal is to expose injustice and lies to the world? Zack said all his things outright, and that's what made them great. Do you really thing they would have been more than just another band if they hadn't been so consumed with their desire to expose the truth to the public?

total metalhead
i grew up with Rage, they're one of my fave bands ever. ive loved em as long as i can remember. Battle Of Los Angeles...albums dont get much better than that.

Audioslave and Soundgarden are both pretty average. bring back Rage.

stinkfist462
yeah . i'd rather listen to Rage . then Audioslave or Sound Garden

SlipknoT
I hate audioslave! rage was great

loserib
then the way i look at it they should have been politicions and not entertaners its a shame i liked their music just did not dig everything they said

SAtown_punk
that's fine. But there are many artists who incorporate politics into their music. and I love the majority of those bands.

Castor
Rage against the machine is soo awesome. Ive just discovered them so its sad once i finish listening ot all their albums there wont be any more coming out. I heard some audio slave stuff but it really SUCKS. Its no goos without zach.

HIs rhymes are like poetry and they send a message. thats the way si should be. I also like it because it kind of mixes Zachs rap style with some good rock instrumentals. So far ive got renegades and BOLA. I like em both.

I hope zach comes out with something solo. That would make my day.

loserib
you know what bugs me about rage against the machine
is tom merrello all day i hear people talking about how great his sound is and i must say as a guitarist i think he blows goats hes all pedal and other guitarist on here will prolly agree on that his sound depends on his digatech wammy pedal to much we have one of those pedals here and all it takes is a couple of weeks and just about anybody can figure out his solos

Jeff_Atello
Yes, but when he was with Rage, he gave so much to that band. Now that he is in Audioslave, he can't do what he does best.

VilleValo462
yup

total metalhead
^
^
damn right. if you ask me, Audioslave should never have been formed. once you've been in such a fu'kin amazing band like Rage, theres no way your gonna top it.

amlap
i always thought it was the quility of the music instead of the toughness of the music that made it good?

or is that just me stick out tongue

Jeff_Atello
In theory, combining Chris Cornell and the remaining members of Rage sounds like a great idea. But then, nobody can top Zack when it comes to political lyrics, and it upsets me that the remaining members of Rage just gave up on that. Audioslave isn't very good, and it's a shame.

loserib
true but tom gets talked about like hes one of the best guitar players outthere and the sad fact is hes not i meen dont you want more from your music then simplicity as much money as people pay for cds tshirts concerts and what not i think fans deserve more from their musicains then what ever they can slap together for the record company

bount back on the subject of RAGEGARDEN personaly i think they sound like a mid grade barband

Jeff_Atello
Punk is simple power chords, but it's a great genre. Simplicity isn't necessarily a bad thing.

amlap
its not that rage music is simple. even tho he may not be the best of guitarist (i strongly Hendrix is the man). the music the band makes alone is fresh and new. they created their own sound and that isnt simple music. if you want simple music check out GC mest and all that other crap. but if you still think i am wrong then name me a few bands pre-rage that had that awesome power chord sound?

and when is it about the money? if i like a band i ill buy their cd, and the merch if i want it. if you think your getting ripped off buying a rage cd because it is too simple then dont ****ing buy it. if you dont appreciate the band then dont ****ing support them. but dont say that their music is simple and talentless, and that tom isnt a great musician. if tom wasnt around then we wouldnt have rage, and rage is a good band!

Jeff_Atello
Agreed. Except I like old GC and all Mest.

loserib
i like rage against the machine i ahve all their cds
and tom is a crap giutarist he did not make rage what they were single handedly tim c is a great bassist and zack has agreat presntation and delevery with his lyrics

i never said rage was not a good band i just dont like their guitarist i think he is overrated i meen i will give him one thing he can scratch a string and twist a valume nob better then anyone
but the fact is he sucks as a player overall the fact is his guitar lines are simple

amlap
i never said that tom makes the band, but i jsut stated that without his guitar they wouldnt of had that type of sound and impact.

im alittle confused how he can scratch a string and twist a nob better than anyone but still suck overall?

where is the credibility

simple donest mean you suck. how can you say a man who writes his own music and is/was enjoying it and selling records suck. if he is a overall sucky assed guitar player than why do people buy rage records?

i think your taking what the magizines say to heart.

and im curious as to how you know if he is a good guitar player or not? maybe he just writes what works for the song? not every song or band needs a huge guitar solo or hard riff to make the music good.

robincooper
Rage agasint the amchnie a brillaint band..........

they were not only brilliantly musicly tight but they had an brilaint image, there was more about them than just music and thats what appeals to me bout em =D

loserib
i was being sarecastic

VilleValo462
u were ?

amlap
or was that comment related with the wammy pedal comment you made earlier? because that is what i got from it.

loserib
no im talking about some of his solos all he is doing is scrathing strings with his pick and twisting his valume nob on his giutar
his whammy pedal is his whole sound though if you play guitar pick one up youe will see what i meen

ElectricBugaloo
rage is one of the best bands of all time

de La Rocha's spitfire, poetic, political lyrics are the perfect counterpoint to the insane Morello guitar riffs.

Man, I love RATM...I only need the Battle of Mexico City DVD before to get before i start trying to get all the rare stuff.

DEC0
Why would someone be a politician, when they have clear musical talent. The fact that he rage have political message gives people something to relate to. If all artists with political messages were politicians , theyre message would not be delivered to the correct audience.

StinkFist462
.. umm .. yea .. exactly

Jeff_Atello
I have musical talent, but I would still love to be a politician. As well as a musician.

StinkFist462
thats what rage is pretty much laughing out loud

Tptmanno1
rock

What else is there to say?
They kick ass!

So called facts are fraud
They want us to allege and pledge
And bow down to their God
Lost the culture, the culture lost
Spun our minds and through time
Ignorance has taken over
Yo, we gotta take the power back!
Bam! Here's the plan
Mother**** Uncle Sam
Step back, I know who I am
Raise up your ear, I'll drop the style and clear
It's the beats and the lyrics they fear
The rage is relentless
We need a movement with a quickness
You are the witness of change
And to counteract
We gotta take the power back

HockeyHorror
yea their great.

i would love to see a collab with RATM and Immortal Technique...but i dont think it would work sad

Deathblow
Wow this is so weird...for the last 20 minutes i've been digging through all my old RATM cd's and searching for info on Zack's solo career, then I come on KMC and see this thread. Cool.

Rage are definitely one of top 10 fave bands of all time. They were just sublime, both musically and lyrically. Morello's raw intensity on guitar, Commerford's earthquake-causing bass, Wilk's funk/thrash drum switches, and of course, Zack's livid rhymes. Political rock has never been better.

Evil Empire was their best. Shockingly good album. Shame about Audioslave.

Zack's colab with Blackalicious was cool.

Victor Von Doom
I think Audioslave are excellent too. Zack's album is allegedly not out until late 05.

Tptmanno1
DB, I just bought the RATH self-titled 3 days ago and have been addicted to it.

They're insane! its so good.
Can't......stop....listening......

HockeyHorror
yes

Fearnix
this is not a hate post but i cant stand Zack. (i have my reasons)
but i do like Audioslave because of Chris cornell.

SlipknoT
I love RATM but I cant stand Audio Slave

Silver Stardust
I love RATM...I have two of their CDs, Evil Empire and Battle for Los Angeles yes

*Georgina_A*
I love both RAtM and Audioslave yes

Tptmanno1
Just bought Evil Empire.

Awesomeness.

Deathblow
Yeah thats my favorite Rage album by far. Its got the most appropriate opening line of any album ever: ''Better turn the bass up on this one.''

Whats your favorite RATM song so far?

Tptmanno1
I like Bombtrack and take the power back on the self titled one,
But I havent listened to Evil empire to have a favorite

Silver Stardust
That CD's awesome yes I've had it for years.

I think my favorite RATM song is Calm Like a Bomb big grin

Tptmanno1
thats on Battle for LA right?

Deathblow
Yep.

My faves are Bullet In The Head, People Of The Sun and Bulls On Parade.

Silver Stardust
Bulls on Parade is a GREAT song. So is Guerilla Radio.

...need to locate my RATM CDs...

plenTpak52
Rage rocks! Born of a Broken man has my favorite lyric of all time!

His thoughts like a hundred moths
Trapped in a lampshade...Somewhere within.
Their wings banging and burning
On through endless nights.
Forever awake he lies shaking and starving
Praying for someone to turn off the light

bardock
they suck hard.

Into the Void
Rage rocked ass, and Audioslave rocks ass too.

Alpha Centauri
Bardock, who DO you like? You seem to think Rage and Metallica both suck. Insane claims.

Rage were amazing. Their albums of course, still are.

-AC

Df02
im guessin either an LP fan or an old-school rock fan who refuses to accept that music has changed, and claims everything past the 80's is crap

EDIT: altho that wouldnt explain his hate of Metallica

tabby999
yeah they rock hard. got me their self titled cd for $10 on sale and its freakinf awsome

bardock
oh like alot of thing its just i hate mettalica cuz the music downlaoding thing and i just aint a fan of rage but i love guns n' roses and a lot of rap from all sorts of eras.

PrefectRonnykin
both

Darth Revan
RATM are excellent. Guerilla Radio is one of my favorite songs of all time. Audioslave are alright, but it's kind of a shame to see such smart guys playing such comparatively boring music...

Zack de la Rocha is a great rapper, he really doesn't get enough credit in the hip hop world since he's mostly been in just rock bands... Been waiting a long time for a solo album from him...

And yeah, that'd be awesome if Zack did a collab with Immortal Technique.

HockeyHorror
most forums i been to dont consider Zack de la rocha as a rapper...i dunno why. well whatever he is, he's really good. yes

Darth Revan
He doesn't REALLY rap in Rage... You have to listen to some of the stuff he's done with other rappers... The man is incredible when he's really rhyming. He's just as good as Immortal Technique.

HockeyHorror
ummmm maybe a little bit better than I.T in my opinion.

hmmmm nevermind ill still have to think on that one laughing out loud

Darth Revan
Well it's hard to compare the two, but I personally like Zack a little better wink

But I'm not going to say he's more talented than IT...

Tptmanno1
well in Rage, the half sings half raps, but sometime he busts out and its insane.

But that dude is smart, if you read those lyrics, and he wrote them all by himeslf. Damn!

Darth Revan
I know. Genius. yes

Deathblow
I like it when he flips out and starts screeching his head off, e.g at the end of Bullet In The Head. But thats just me happy

Darth Revan
I like that too happy

Silver Stardust
It's awesome yes

Deathblow
I know this is a pointless bump but what the hell

Evil Empire is so ****ing good!!! I've had it for 6 years and it still sounds fresh and new. De la is a genius cry

Darth Revan
I know he is cry

I'm so proud of my little Zack! cry

Silver Stardust
Pointless bumps are fun big grin

Last night on VH1 there was something like the "100 Top Rock Bands" or something on...and RATM was on there yes

Deathblow
what number? eek!

and if its anything below 10, i'm afraid i'm going to have to kill you and your TV cry

Silver Stardust
I dunno, I only caught the last 30 seconds or so of them being on and then my sister changed the channel on me before they showed what the next number was cry and why kill me? cry

Deathblow
great now i'm gonna spend the next few hours desperately trying to find out what number they were sad

ok I won't kill you, but tell your sister to hire a bodyguard ranting

Tptmanno1
Found it!
http://www.twin-music.com/lists/vh1/100hard.html

But their only # 33! whatta rip off!

Silver Stardust
mad that IS a ripoff!

Tptmanno1
I know look at the standings!
Pink flyod before Korn?
Pink Floyd is kick ass but their not hard rock! their barly rock, their in their own genere

Deathblow
Pink Floyd are prog rock i'd say. but yeah its a jip they were before Korn.

Tool #88? Pixies #81? Smashing Pumpkins #49? NIN #43? Janes Addiction, Alice In Chains and Rage at #31, 32 & 33??? RHCP at #30????

who ever compiled that list obviously did so under the influence of hullucegenic drugs. Nirvana at #6? ****ing Kiss at #10??? Nirvana shouldn't even be in the top 20, and Kiss shouldn't be in there at all no

Funnily enough the only one they got right was the #1.

Deathblow
On a lighter note, check out the olympics some time tonight, and see if you can spot the US pole-vaulter Toby Stevenson. I'm pretty certain he's Zack De La's long lost twin yes

Tptmanno1
hehe
I will!

Darth Revan
I saw the VH1 thing. It was almost amusing for a while, until I nearly fainted when I saw Kiss on my screen sad

But hey, at least Tool, NIN, RATM, and Korn were ON the list. Most of these "greatest bands" or "greatest singers" lists are pure and total bullshit. You have to give VH1 SOME small amount of credit for not submitting to the "Korn is terrible and Jon Davis' lyrics are whiney" thing the media likes to do. At least not entirely.

Anywho... HOLY SHIT GREEN DAY IS ABOVE TOOL! Forget anything I may have said about giving VH1 any credit no expression

Tptmanno1
yea,
i dunno what they were thinking

Hye DR, whats a good Tool album that I shoudl pick up?

Deathblow
a good Tool album??? eek There all beyond good.

I know you didn't ask me, but I would recommend getting their latest album, Lateralus first (its a good introduction), or if you want to hear them at their very best, get Undertow or Aenima yes

Darth Revan
Yeah... Get Lateralus first, then Aenima.... But it doesn't really matter, they're all great yes

Tptmanno1
DB> I just sayd DR cuz I was talking to him at the time,

Thanky! I will!
I'll tell you how it goes!

Deathblow
Good luck. I'll keep my third eye open 1eye

Tptmanno1
but thats only 1 eye....

Deathblow
I should have known better than to throw Tool references in when your still so inexperienced stick out tongue

Tptmanno1
yes...

Silver Stardust
laughing out loud

OMG, I feel the need to pelt whoever compiled that list with many rocks...mad

Tptmanno1
Rocks!
Cinderblocks!

Deathblow
doh Third Eye is a track off of Aenima, Tool's third album.

Tptmanno1
Pointless BUMP!

trasher

Silver Stardust
Pointless bumps are fun yes

Darth Revan
Turn on the radio! Nah, **** it, turn it off! dj

Bierbommetje
Yep, RATM owns

Tom's solo's are as weird as they are wicked, damn that dude just can't lay off the wacky effects smile

Its the only rap music (if you could call it that, more raprock/metal) I like

Silver Stardust
I was listening to that song last night rock

Deathblow
Best thing is to stick that album on in a downstairs room when there's people asleep upstairs, whack the bass up full, then skip to Bulls On Parade. Floor shake-arama droolio

Silver Stardust
I've done that...one of the many advantages of having a room in the basement...and also putting my insomnia to some use evil face

Tptmanno1
Awesome!!!
Or take the power back!
Thats got a kicken bassline

Deathblow
Lets face facts here, I don't think there's a single Rage track that doesn't have a slammin bassline raver

Timmy C should have his fingers registered as deadly weapons droolio

Tptmanno1
lol
Not in Cali, Assault weapons are now leagal!

Alpha Centauri
If you want a bassy RATM song, more so than the others, crank the bass up on People of the Sun. Watch your house fall to pieces.

-AC

Tptmanno1
The RATM, good bass list could go on forever.....

or untill we run outta albums

nick1811
too true

Silver Stardust
*bump*

Anyone hear the song RATM did with Tool, called Revolution? It was never released...but is very good yes RATM and Tool...my favorite two groups...rock

Deathblow
Yeah I have it, its frickin awesome too. I'm pretty sure it's called 'You Can't Kill The Revolution' though stick out tongue

Darth Revan
RATM did a collab with Tool? Why wasn't I told? cry

Tptmanno1
its good, But not enough RATM-y
I like it though, more balladly

Uhh Alana put it up on UTG, ask her.

Darth Revan
I'm listening to it right now (courtesy of Alana wink). rock

Silver Stardust
I honestly don't know if it's even got an actual name, because it was unreleased...everything I've found about it has it titled "Revolution" stick out tongue or as one site said, it's commonly called Revolution. Still a good song, though.

Deathblow
This name thing is confusing me. I've decided that the song will from now on be entitled 'Frank', cos it's easy to remember yes

Darth Revan
Frank is an ass-kickin' song rock

Silver Stardust
Go Frank laughing out loud

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>