The Lord of the Rings trilodgey

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DBZFan
It is cool! I am only reading The Hobbit though!

badkittykitty
those books are so awesome...you know you beat me to it, I was going to make a lord of the rings thread asap!! I am going to pick up the hobbit this week. I read it when i was way young and need to be refreshed

Lord Soth
I love the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings is pure literary genius. Although the dialogue and lengthy descriptions can get boring at times....but that's why I love the movies so much

vvvrulz
Lotr is a great book, long but never boring.

Corlindel
For me, the best of all is Silmarillion.

Lord Soth
I'm patience deficient big grin

h0ck3yh0rr0r
dont like LOTR. didn't like the books and the movies.

badkittykitty
you didnt like them hockey? I think both are awesome,though i agree with Lord Soth on some of the more lengthy descriptions.I could have done with out all the singing

h0ck3yh0rr0r
no i didn't like LOTR. it reminded me too much of Warcraft (pc game). and there are several other reasons y i didn't like LOTR.

badkittykitty
warcraft is pretty popular..never played though.well as for I hope that the return of the king movie will be like the books but I am afraid they wont be

Corlindel
Funny..I don't like warcraft and I like Tolkien.

It is normal coz warcraft was made about 80 years after Tolkien began to wrote. There is nothing new on this game. Just a game. stick out tongue

badkittykitty
so is it a d&d type game...I need one.wonder if there is a lotr game out for the p/c that would be neat

Lord Soth
Even if it's not, it'll be the best movie of 2003. I have no doubt about that. It will change the way movies are made

Schizo_n_me
I don't really like LotR My father won't let me see the movies till I read the books so I've become bitter about them. I might have liked them...if I hadn't been forced to read them.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
books are ALWAYS better than the movies.

Lord Soth
ALWAYS

h0ck3yh0rr0r
yes ALWAYS! lol

LindsIsTightK
I've never read these books completely. I own them all but I have never been able to read them because I found them to be quite boring and slow messed

h0ck3yh0rr0r
lol

Lord Soth
ALWAYS

badkittykitty
just skip the singing and then its entertaining lol

DBZFan
Ya, the movies really include less than what the books do.

Lord Soth
But sometimes that's good. LotR was great because it cut out the boring and drawn-out scenes (i.e. Tom Bombadil, much of the Bree sequence, Radaghast the Brown, Crickhollow), making it into a movie with great pacing

badkittykitty
the return of the king is rumoured to be four hours long!!! Ill be hiding sandwichs for this one..I cant wait,especially since they chopped the ending off of the 2 towers and put it on the beggining of rotk..I was so upset!

Lord Soth
I'll get 3 bags of popcorn and 2 drinks, and refuse to get up once!

badkittykitty
return of the king...one book/movie to rule them all... stick out tongue

badkittykitty
heres some cool pics by frank frazetta from return of the king...

badkittykitty
another Eowyn and the Nazgul King

Lord Soth
Great pic. Theylook eerily like something that you'd see in DragonLance........

badkittykitty
I seen your death knight pic..very similar indeed

Lord Soth
Well, they are the same genre...... perhaps it's the same artist. Who drew those?

badkittykitty
frank frazetta..he's awesome..does alot of comics as well as books.

Lord Soth
doesn't sound familiar, but who knows?

badkittykitty
Eowyn and the Nazgul King this pic and drawing I posted are very much alike..I am to excited!

Lord Soth
sweet pic

SpikeSpiegel
I read the hobbit and that was cool, then I started reading LOTR. The first one was OK, but then the second one was so boring it took me a year to struggle through it. I've never gotten around to reading the third one, despite how good my sister tells me it is.

badkittykitty
return of the king I think was best of the lotr books.maybe you should give it a try.

Lord Soth
It's a great book, I'm trying to get thorugh it b4 it comes to theatres

badkittykitty
Eee! Lord Soth your running out of time! I think it opens dec 17.

Lord Soth
I know. I read fast. And often

glenn
Has anybody read these books. Do you think that books are better than the films.

Fire
well I think a lot of forum members have read them

I have

ofcourse they are better than the films which is quite logical, however the movies are a great tribute to the books.

GO PJ

mors823
Both are very good. Movies on books tend to be off, but PJ did a good job keeping them true as much as possible (whatever the reasons).

badkittykitty
I put your thread with this one..check it out..alot of lotr fans here! big grin

Corlindel
thumb up Yeap. The film is great but the books are the books.

Lord Soth
The book is rarely, if ever, inferior to the movie

DBZFan
I used to have a LOTR pic, I lost it...

Julie
I actually liked the movies better....but that's no surprise...the books were good but uh tiresome.....

DBZFan
Yes, they take a while to read.

Lord Soth
They're better after seeing the movies. Trust me, I know

Ushgarak
Frankly, Tolkien has ALWAYS been over-rated as a writer. He is a great imaginer of worlds and characters but writing is simply not his forte and in any objective sense large parts of LOTR are badly written. And that is me speaking as a fan, you know.

Lord Soth
I'm afraid I must agree. He does WAY too much dialogue and exposition, not allowing the story to move along.

Corlindel
I shall disagree with you. Tolkien books are very well written, and the story moves along perfectly for such difficult exercise of written.

To many characters and lots facts in a new world become the written difficult too, but Tolkien found the balance between dialogue and description and between action and pauses to gave us a perfect story for all ages.

I think you should give a chanche to an academic as Tolkien.
smile

And, stick out tongue

Ushgarak
Well, I know most critics do not. Tolkien has never been regarded as a great writer and I am confused by people who think otherwise when the flaws in his writing and the pacing of his books are relatively plain. Any person who wrote like that now would be widely and justifiably panned.

And likewise Tolkien himself said his joy and pride was in the creation of the world, the language, the cultures, and that the writing of stories was a lesser part of what he did.

Lord Soth
Again, I agree. I appreciate the writing itself a LOT less than the world he created, the characters that live in our hearts still

DBZFan
Lets make a poll and see who agrees or dissagrees with you'r thoughts.

Corlindel
Yeap. You are right. But the creation of the world, the language and the cultures are reason enough to think he was a excellent writer. The subject have major importance in Tolkien's world and the way he did it made him a great writer.

There are some present writers who are famous for their bad writing. Some of then have very bad critics too. But the subject and his development must be understand as part of an avaliation. So, some of them won Nobel prize.

One of the lasts Nobel of Literature went to a portuguese writer named Saramago. He is knew by his bad and difficult way of writing, but that doesn't stop him of be one great writer.

As you said "writing of stories was a lesser part of what he did". I agree, but maybe he didn't had time to write in a better way...

Silver Surfer
I just started The Lord of the Rings yesterday. I am only on WeatherTop *even though that's like page 200* I couldn't believe the difference between the book and the movie! Tolkien goes far into detail! I love it so far.

Ushgarak
Pfft, he spent bloody ages over them. He just didn't have the ability to write in a better way.

And no-one who wrote like Tolkien would come close to a Nobel Prize.

Corlindel
I must disagree with you. But I understand your point of view.

DBZFan
Guys guys you got it all wrong, lets just relax and start over.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.