Enterprise - Star Trek gets back on course

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ratcat
OK, I see the original thread we had on this one go closed. Anyway, I wanted to comment on the series now that I have seen some episodes.

101/102 Broken Bow Pt1 & Pt2
The premiere episode was outstanding. I would go as far as to say the BEST premiere Star Trek has ever managed to field.

This is a new kind of Star Trek. The ship interior is much closer in style to a present day Nuclear Sub that the ships of the 24th Century. Paramnount had their work cut out for them as they had to produce a ship that was clearly technologically less superior than Captains Kirks ship, but at the same time Special effects and design improvements within the industry clearly make for a better looking set. They have achieved this and, in the process, brought back life to what was a dieing franchise.

As with the ship interior, the have much more in common with the modern day Navy than their conterparts of the future. The uniforms manage to include small elements of design that fans will recognise from TNG/DS9&VOY without loosing site of the fact that they are only supposed to be 150 years into our future.

This is definately Star Trek for the new Millennium. If you didn't like TNG/DS9orVOY, don't let that put you off of this series. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Scott Backula is outstanding as Captain Archer and the rest of the supporting crew are great too. There were some minor element of the acting that seemed false, but I put this down to the newness of their parts. By the 3rd Episode (104) they seem to have ironed that out.

One thing people might pick up on is the makeup of the Klingons. The sets and makeup for the Klingon people are those as seen in TNG, etc. But as Worf said in Trials and Tribble-ations, they dn't like to talk about that....

Ratcat
103 Fight or Flight

The second episode, or third if you count the premiere as two. This one is a little weak because it is primarily a character driven episode.

We get to know some of the characters a little more, such as Doctor Phlox and Ensign Hoshi Sato. The story is sound, though a little shallow.

The story of a vessel with all aboaurd killed, with a sub0story of what to do with a sick slug (I kid you not).

This is all really about Ensign Hoshi Sato and how she is aclimatising to life abourd a starship.

Ratcat
104 Strange New World
This is a strong episode. The Enterprise encounters its first new planet. An away team shuttle down to the planet for an away misson. Once again, the parallels between current military practices and those of the TNG era are demostrated.

With no transporter technology certified for transporting living beings the crew must use shuttles, and some ellect to stay planet side overnighnt rather than travel back to the ship.

Did I mention Captain Archers dog yet. The first being to set foot on the planet is not a crew member but a beagle, the pet of Captain Archer who lives on Enterprise.

You will notice that I haven't gone into details on plot, don't wish to spoil it for people who want to watch the show.

All I can say is that I highly recommend it and can't wait for next weeks episode. smile

King Jedi
When is it on? I don't like Star Trek but I'm going to watch this.

Texas
You should watch, it's really good! Most shows start off OK and then get better, I cant wait to see what heights this one reaches smile

Ratcat
Looks like Sky One has picked up the series, but won't be showing it until after Christmas.

ToMacco
I don't think I'll ever be able to watch Star Trek. My old roomate was such a Star Trek nerd, that it turned me off of it. All he ever wanted to do was watch Star Trek, or some other f*@*ed up show. I felt like I was gonna puke. embarrasment

Texas
Texas' Christmas present to Macco: Spock poster wink

ToMacco
I'd put it up in my room anyway. My walls are bare. I ordered 2 Bob Dylan posters, but they havn't come yet. sad

King Jedi
RC how did you manage to see it?

Ratcat
Strong in the Force am I. wink

Texas
Morpheus probably. With broadband you can download an hour episode in 10 minutes.

Ratcat
What's Morpheus, apart from a Matrix character??? confused

If it's a file sharing utility, I don't use em. Too much of a security risk.

Incidently, even with with DSL broadband it would take MUCH longer than 10 minutes.

Ushgarak
RC, can you clarify the situation with the transporters witrhout giving too much away? I have a friend here who is in turn talking to an American friend who says they are using tyhe transporters to move people.

Ratcat
OK, basically the transporters are quite new. They are routinely used for cargo transport and have only recently been approved for transporting organics, though no one is too keen to be the first to go through, there's a great line about that in the trailer for the premiere episode.

Needless to say that by the end of the first episode someone has been transported due to an emergency, however in the subsequent two episodes so far they have NOT used the transporters at all.

Ushgarak
Gotcha, thanks a lot.

Ratcat
My pleasure.

Can't wait for Wednesday night, next episode looks pretty cool.

Ushgarak
You got a direct hook up to US tv there or something? Or are you IN America right now?

Raz
Probably downloaded it from the alt.binaries.startrek newsgroup...

I've seen the first three episodes...I didn't like them and won't bother getting the next episode. I MUCH prefer the Picard Crew.

Texas
Next Generation is still the best smokin'

finti
ST sucks

ToMacco
Amen, finti

Texas
mad roll eyes (sarcastic)

ToMacco
I just can't get into Star Trek. There's too much stuff going on.

It's like college football. There are too many teams.

Texas
Ahhh, trash ST I dont care roll eyes (sarcastic) Make fun of that dumb guy who cant pronounce a V. Wessel, wessel roll eyes (sarcastic)

ToMacco
What the hell are you talking about?

Texas
Wessel, wessel, wessel. Captain I've spotted a wessel! V V V V V V V V V V V mad

ToMacco
confused

You're goofy!

Texas
Your obviously not a ST fan, and it's 1:12am, I'm not explaining roll eyes (sarcastic)

ToMacco
Oh, okay. I thought you were teasing me. And I couldn't figure it out. All is well, now. cool

Ratcat
Actually neither, more a combination of the two. I have a friend who sends them to me. Naughty I know, but I always validate my indescretion by purchacing the episodes on video when they become available.

I have almost every episode of TNG and DS9 on VHS, but I lost interest in Voyager during the middle of season 3 and stopped watching and collecting them.

Hoping for Enterprise on DVD though. Better quality plus less shelf space. big grin

Ushgarak
It took you until season 3 to lose interest in Voyager? Giving it the benefit of the doubt, eh...?

Actually, to be honest, it had some good episodes sprinkled all around. But as a whole, it did NOT hang together and they certainly shouldn't have let it run the whole seven years; they were out of ideas long before that.

Ratcat
Well, having seen bioth TNG and DS9 go though 30 or so episodes each before they really found their footing, I thought I should give Voyager the benefit.

Anyway, looks like Enterprise has broken the bad luck run on opening episodes, let's hope they can keep it up.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.