kmc members recommended reading

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

badkittykitty
what books do you recommend to all your kmc friends..tell us what we should check out!

badkittykitty
mine would be anne rices vampire series..the first 3/interveiw with a vampire/vampire lastate/and queen of the damned(which was ruined in the movies) these 3 books I couldnt put down for a second!

Lord Soth
Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. The book that lauched the DragonLance Saga (I'll talk about it a lot) It's followed by Dragons of Winter Night and Dragons of Spring Dawning

Phoenix
Mercedes Lackey, or, if your looking for a shorter read, Tamora Pierce

Corlindel
Try Latin America authours like Mario Vargas Llosa in first place

Corran
Terry Pratchett - especially all the Discoworld novels.
Robert Jordan's - the Wheel of Time series of novels.

happy kine
for the head
howard zinn - the peoples history of the united states
daniel quinn - ishmael
for the read less traveled
davis foster wallace - infinite jest (if you can)
for the fluff
anything by michner
watership down

Corran
don't read Watership down, it's sad and will make you cry. sad

Lord Soth
The Redwall Series, by Brian Jacques (pronounced Jakes)

wicker_man
The Godfather ~ Mario Puzo
The Chronicles of Narnia ~ C.S Lewis
Jaws ~ Peter Benchley

---Non-Fiction---
Kurt Cobain Journals

Hegemon875
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, cheesy premise but it's brilliantly pulled off.

Phoenix
Terry Pratchett is a MUST read!

Phoenix
Also very good! I've read every one, and haven't been dissappointed yet!

h0ck3yh0rr0r
I recommend ALL classical books. here are some authors are recommend for sure.

1. ALexandre Dumas
2. Fydor Dostoevsky (if u like mystery)
3. Jules Verne (if u like sci-fi)
4. Mark Twain
5. Victor Hugo

and more..

Lord Soth
I haven't read Triss or Loamhedge yet

h0ck3yh0rr0r
Agatha CHristie is also great.

leaf_eater
a friend of mine was eating the pages of Anne Rice novels, never read them myself though.

burlyman
have it and read it thumb up

h0ck3yh0rr0r
read book, thought it was good
saw movie thought it was less than good.

smile

badkittykitty
jaws the books hmm,I dont that is for me..is it suspenseful?

Schizo_n_me
The Nanny Diaries by someone I can't remember.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
lol

Lord Soth
I love her work.....

fungrl515
sadly, i own all of tamora pierce's books. they asre entertaining, but not amazing. i love robin mckinly. I'm sorry to say that i did not enjoy the redwall series. i could not get through it. it was just way too boring. i'm sad that i couldn't, but i just can't!

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i see.

Lord Soth
Tamora Pierce.....sounds familiar.....

badkittykitty
yeah to me too Hmm

Complicated

crazy_c
His dark materials trilogy by phillip pullman which are "Northern Lights", "The Subtle Knife" and "The Amber Spyglass." Anything by the Bronte sisters is good too.

fungrl515
i totally agree with the phillip pullman suggestion. he's great. tamora pierce takes up like 2 shelves at the barnes + noble in enfield. very popular.

Lord Soth
Yeah, well DragonLance takes up 5!

fungrl515
sure.... and you're sure of this, how? let me check next time i go. author please?

Lord Soth
Lol, I 'm talking about the B&N in Mishawaka, near me. There are more than 20 authors anyway

Schizo_n_me
I agree thier good books but I thought th 1st 1 was the golden compass? confused

fungrl515
true. you're right. though, i guess it might depend on where you live and which copy of the book you have.

happy kine
siddhartha.... not bad. try some pablo choleo (i think thats the spelling) the alchimest or daniel quinn ishmael.
light reading is fun. for light reading i like michner... its decent fluff.

BOPRecruit 16
the outsiders
watership down
roswell
fingerprints
x-men 2
lxg
spider-man
lotr

diegocala
Those are my favorites! I also took it farther with The Body Thief and Memnoch the Devil. big grin

badkittykitty
I read those too,the body thief I liked allot.the vampire series was taken into a whole new arena,and i was happy for david(cant say no more or it might spoil the book)

anne rice is a addictive author! stick out tongue

fungrl515
one name for you: ayn rand

crazy_c
Huh? I never heard of that. What happens in it?
blink

Lord Soth
DRAGONLANCE!!!!!

bLooMiLiCioUs
i reccomend the whole of Anne Rice's 'The Vampire Chronicles"...u just can't help falling in love with lestat!!!big grinbig grin

badkittykitty
All this anne rice talk is making me want to make a thread about her...I just may evil face I have the first book to the witching hour..it's been recommended to I hear its great!

h0ck3yh0rr0r
NOOOOOOOOOO nothing by ANn Rice. i read Queen of the Damned and that was awful.

badkittykitty
that book was great hockey(I think)did you read the 2 before it..interview with a vampire and the vampire lestat? maybe you would have liked it if you read those(lestat was the best)
though i wish they wouldn't have made the 'queen of the damned' movie..*ack*

el_barto
enders game definetly

EOWYN3
Infinite Jest--David Foster Wallace
Civilwarland in Bad Decline/Pastoralia--George Saunders
Love in the Time of Cholera--Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Mists of Avalon Books

tptmanno1
ok,
ANYthing by Orson Scott Card!

Guns Germs and Steel by Jarad Diamond, ok this one is complex, its non-fiction, it seems boring while your reading it, but once you finish it you gain a whole new understanding on how our modern world came to be. one of the best non-fics ive ever read.

Stupid White Men, or any Michal Moore book. DISCLAMER!, don't read if your radicly conservitive, or get offended very easily, you will get offended in this book.

the stars wars books. sorry i couldn't resist!

(*cough sticky cough*)
(BKK)

fungrl515
the first book in the 'his dark materials' series is about a group of peiople who kidnap young children and experiment on them. a young girl must then travel across the world, trying to save her friends. i hope it wasn't a spoiler, cuz i tried to word it correctly. but that's bvasically it. good read.

crazy_c
Thats exactly what happens in Northern Lights. Hmmmmm......why the name change? confused

SpikeSpiegel
I'ld reccomend David and Leigh Eddings The Redemption of Althalus. My Dad loved David Eddings books but didn't like the ones he wrote with his wife so he never read it. Having read this and the another one they did together I'ld have to say it wasn't as good, but this one is amazing. It's about 700 pages long but it was so captivating I managed to read it in under a week, even with school, homework and everything else. Defently recommended to anyone who likes fantasy and the likes.

Asami
Has anyone said Michael Moore's Stupid White Men yet? If not.. yeah, read that wink

Lord Soth
And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie. It's delightful big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin: D: Dbig grin

mors823
For Matrix fans: Farhienhaiet 451, 1984, Brave New World
For LotR fans: uhm... Harry Potter
For HP fans: uhhhh... LotR
For both LotR and HP fans: Redwall

Lord Soth
For LotR fans, HP fans, Matrix fans, everybody-DragonLance

Corlindel
I recomend you to read all books you can without prejudice smile

Lord Soth
That's a good philosophy, but some of the stuff I read is quite boring

badkittykitty
or some with extreme prejudice like Mein Kampf *shudders*

Corlindel
You always have to do your own interpretation no mather what you are reading...thats thr point smile stick out tongue

Lord Soth
I'm interested in reading Mein Kampf, just to see what the madman could come up with

SilverFighter
I'm so glad Siddhartha has been mention!! It is one of Hesse's most beautiful stories of inner peace and the search for your own meaning of life!! big grin

Okay here are my suggestions:

-Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (seen the movie? Well, the ending is totally different in the book)
-Tales before Tolkien:The roots of Modern Fantasy (an Anthology of earlier Fantasy writers that inspired Tolkien)
-What is Art? by Leo Tolstoy
-Inferno by Dante
-Journey to the East by Herman Hesse

Vampiree
TERRY PRATCHETT!!! YOU ALL ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO READ DISCWORLD STORIES!!! GO DEATH!!!

Vampiree
lord soth: i have mein kampf in my ohuse, but i don't think i'm gonna read that bull shit....

cermiestar
Sylvia Platt - the Bell Jar

her only novel- semi autobiographical.

Lord Soth
I'd just be interested in his 'explanation' of his thoughts, although he was quite mad stick out tongue

JackSparrowLuvr
If you like Fantasy check out author Terry Brooks!! big grin big grin smile

RonzMyBoy
If you like romance novels read Summer Sisters by Judy Blume (warning it is a little....graphic?)

mailedbypostman
Ender's game,ender's shadow, anything ing the ender's game universe.
Robert jordan's wheel of time.(Warning, it's long series and long books)
(I have read "interview with a vampire" but not the other ones. Got to get to them.)
Animorphs.( it's not nessesary that you read them all in order, it's a series that's not really connected to each book. Just for some relief, because it has 9 side books and 54 regular books)
Remnants and everworld are also recommended.

big gay kirk
Northern Lights; that's the English title... Golden Compass, thats the American... the publisher's just thought that Golden Compass fitted better with the other two titles, as it has a colour and an object in it, aand they were worried that an American audience might fail to realise that the books were related to each other...

big gay kirk
As for reccomendations.... His Dark Materials, yup... 1984 by George Orwell, The last Unicorn by Peter Beagle... and Queen of Angels and Slant by Greg Bear...

Fire
The day of the triffids (no idea who wrote it)

big gay kirk
Day of the Triffids... written by John Wyndham, who also wrote Chocky, The Chrysalids and The Midwich Cuckoos, all of which are definitley worth a look...

Piggle Humsy
I recommend:

Ricky - Ricky Tomlinsons Autobigraphy. He bares his soul in this book, His rough times and his good all make this book what it is. I wasn't a huge fan of his but after reading this I respect him hugely.

Ten Thousand Sorrows - Elizabeth Kim, A True Story about a Korean war orphan, A Harrowing Tale but a great read.

Birthday Girls - Annabelle Giles Great Fiction for women, about 6 women of different ages and social stature. Very Funny.

That's what I recommend for now...

Piggle one eye
x x x x

Julie
Star Wars NJO....especially the later books in the series.
Nancy Drew and HArdy Boys supermysteris...just fun reads that take about 3 hrs.

Predator 89
1. John Saul
2. George Orwell
3. Frank Herbert
4. Dean Koontz
5. Orson Scott Card
6. Micheal Chriton
7. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle(Sherlock Homes)

PeRfEcTlY~*~NoT
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith
Heroshima by John Hershy
The Great Gastby By F. Scott Fitsgerald
Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
A walk To Remember By Nicolas Sparks
The Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold
The Maltese Falcon by Dashiel Hammett
tis it for now

BOPRecruit 16
aside from reccommending "the outsiders", i would also like to reccommend stephen king's "four past midnight" -> "secret window, secret garden", two past midnight.

Kaleanae
I'm reading Beneath the Wheel by Herman Hesse, great book yes

big gay kirk
Just read "Mortal Engines" and "Predators Gold" by Philip Reeve... worth looking at...

Predator 89
Hidden Empire By: Kevin J. Anderson
Paranoia By: Joseph Finder

Z4¢|<
Foundation - Isaac Asimov
Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan

Freddy_vs_Jason
What books do you read to KMC members?

I recommend:

Darren Shan books.
Groosham Grange.
Movie novelisations.

MasterWizard
All Stephen King stories
Wheel of Time stories

Fëanor
I recommend "Ilium" by Dan Simmons
Robert J. Sawyer's "Humans", "Hominids", and "Hybrids" a three part serie
And Kim Stanley Robinson's "The Years of Rice and Salt."

you will not be disappointed...

yerssot
well, the one I'm reading now (I'm only at page 81) is rather good, if you're a star wars nerd (and since you read this and chances are high you're a member here, you're a nerd too wink) I would suggest reading Survivor's Quest, one of the best books about SW I read

sorry, next time I'll try to read a decent book wink

Arachnoidfreak
Dracula by Bram Stoker. None of the movies will ever do it justice. Frankenstein by Mary Shelly is also a great read. Actually, you could pick up any of the classic monster stories, and they are better than anything we have today.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.