harry potter/J. K. Rowling books

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

badkittykitty
I know there is alot of J. K. Rowling fans here,so which of the five harry potter books is the best?

Phoenix
Prisoner of Azkaban, then Order of the Phoenix, then Goblet of Fire, then Philosopher's Stone, then Chamber of Secrets

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i dislike the author. read the works but never liked.

badkittykitty
Ive wanted to read them but didnt. Ive heard mixed feeling on them

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i hated the harry potter books. first one was the best from all. but the whole series combined sux.

badkittykitty
see I was worried that it was like lotr's that is till the movie came out.I liked the movie..I may really like the books

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i liked the book better than the movie (first one).

vvvrulz
Theyre too overrated. I like em, but the hype is kinda annoying.

Lord Soth
In order:OotP, PoS, SS, GoF, CoS

crazy_c
I like Goblet of fire, then order of the pheonix, prisoner of azkaban, chamber of secrets, philosephers stones. I dont really mind that theyre overrated it doesnt really effect that i read harry potter books.

badkittykitty
well if they deserve the hype then I usually appreciate it..like lotr

Rogue Jedi
god help me, i love these books.

Schizo_n_me
Same here.

LindsIsTightK
Order of the Phoenix is definitely the best in my opinion. Oh my god I love the Harry Potter books like a fat kid loves cake! I can't get enough of them! I'm truly obsessed embarrasment

I recommend that everyone go out and read them immediately!

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i recommend not. i recommend everyone to read more classics.

LindsIsTightK
eek! Harry Potter!

There is time to read all kinds of classics AND Harry Potter so how bout both? stick out tongue

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i read harry potter books, i found them very annoying. and when i was FORCED to watch the movie (lol), i almost hurled, but LUCKILY i snuck into another movie. smile long story...

LindsIsTightK
OMG I love these books and the movies! I even collect Harry Potter merchandise stick out tongue

These are some of the best books I've ever read.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
.... sad

LindsIsTightK
I have no idea what you would mean by that smiley face when all I've been talking about is how much I love the Harry Potter books.

Apparently you just want to get in the last post roll eyes (sarcastic)

h0ck3yh0rr0r

h0ck3yh0rr0r
nevermind i just noticed i always answer. no wonder my name is on last post of every thread in book forum lol smile

Lord Soth
Some of the classics are incredibly boring.....

h0ck3yh0rr0r
not really.

Lord Soth
Most of the ones that I've read

h0ck3yh0rr0r
plz give examples.

Lord Soth
Anything by Mark Twain

h0ck3yh0rr0r
AHHH
no mark twain is good man. his books might be slow but not boring.

Lord Soth
I like action. Action, magic, dragons and death knights. None of the classics have any of these, so therefore I don't like them

badkittykitty
well looks like I better listen to you linds and give my review....they defiantly seem very popular stick out tongue

Lord Soth
yop yop

LindsIsTightK
eek! I can't wait for book 6 to come out! I wish it could come out sooner, I hate having to wait.

badkittykitty
when is it due out?

LindsIsTightK
I have no idea. Probably not for a long time since the movie is coming out next summer. It will probly come out in 2005

badkittykitty
wow that is a long time! another movie next summer kewl!

LindsIsTightK
June 4th big grin *excited*

badkittykitty
hey around my b-day neat! (like your newest siggie by the way)
maybe Ill get a jump on it by finally reading some harry potter books smile

Lord Soth
They're pretty good

Circe
In Order:

Prisoner of Azkaban
Order of the Phoenix
Goblet of Fire
Chamber of Secrets
Philosopher's Stone

For those of you who hate the books, haven't given them a chance, or quit after the first book (which is nothing compared to its sequels), then I'm...just...sorry. Your loss.

crazy_c
Here here! http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/cheers.gif

airangel429
Phoe stated this order quite nicely. I agree. Those are my fav's in that order as well! big grin I can't wait for the next book! big grin

crazy_c
yah i need another one to read ive read each of them more than five times! eek!

BarmyBrummie
Goblet of fire, chamber of secrets, prisoner of azkaban, philosophers stone, order of the phoenix.

The order of the phoenix was completely different than the others. Why, i'm not sure but i didn't really enjoy it. Harry was being a biatch the whole way through. The books get way too much hype. They are JUST BOOKS!!!! They deserve to be advertised but not as much as they are.

airangel429
nicely put Phoe! I agree with you! big grin

Maikahyandowen
5,3,1,2. Fred and George's performance in OOTP was awsome! and the department of myteries.
" accio brain! "

Maikahyandowen
5,3,4,1,2. oops. forgot that one.

pisces
ok...when the bookz 1st came out all my friendz were like omg u totally have to read them(maybe not those specific wordz, but u get it) and i was like yea w/e u guyz are dorks...that was in 6th grade...now im a freshmen, and in my freshman year i've read all the bookz, including the 5th...AND IM TOTALLY OBSESSED!!!reading...i luv them, i can't get enuf...MY TOTAL FAV. WAS HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN..i luv sirius...he's my fav.!!!...the third one was just my all time fav., w/ lupin, and sirius, and the story and the tru story of his father...it was the BOMB...ahh...im a total fan now...keep me posted...im new to this site big grin smile big grin smile

BunnyWolf
Prisoner of Azkaban, Order of the Phoenix, Philosopher's Stone, Goblet of Fire, and last of all Chamber of Secrets.

Darth Revan
The third one. After that, this pattern emerges and they start to get repetative--he's at his aunt and uncle's house and he's bored out of his mind, he goes to school and it's great at first but then something weird happens, so they start sneaking out of the dormitories at night and stuff, then he has to confront voldemort one way or another.

crazy_c
hmm yeh i have to agree with ya there but i still luv em

SAtown_punk
Order of the Phoenix is not my favorite book. Goblet of Fire is. Order Of The Phoenix is second, because It left me wanting too much more. I hate that...I don't hate it, but it annoys me because I don't know how long until she writes the sixth book and gets it published, etc. I know for a fact that the next book is going to be amazing. Think about it...the second war is starting, there has to be a huge feud between Harry and Voldemort. Sirius just died(and I think he'll be back), Harry is learning a lot of new things. I can't wait. I'm so anxious. These books are probably the best I've ever read.

The books are not overhyped! If anything, they're underhyped. They are being sold in mass amounts because they are great books, and J.K. Rowling is a great writer. When she started writing these, they were being read and the word about them was being spread simply by word of mouth. I haven't ever seen an advertisement for ANY of the Harry Potter books, and then I read them and hear everyone talking about them. Everyting is entirely word of mouth, and that tells me how good the books really are. People just love to read because it takes them away to a different place, and helps them forget about their troubles, if only for a couple of hours. I read because I love to, and I read Harry Potter because it's a wonderful story.

Harry's character in the 5th book was great! What's wrong with you!?! He is geting older, and he's sick and tired of having to deal with all the crap the Dursley's put him through. It's only natural to rebel after a while. In that sense, Harry is just like a real teenager, and he's someone that we can all relate to.

Nothing in the books is repetitive. There is always a twist or two somewhere in the story, and there are surprises all throughout. I don't know what's next for J.K., or the Harry Potter saga, but I can't wait for book 6.

SAtown_punk
I just re-read PoA, and that is my second favorite now...after GoF. I can't wait for the movie. I'm sure it will be great.

big gay kirk
I like the Harry Potter books, but I don't think they're as good as the hype says... I find them enjoyable but derivative... too many cliches for my liking... So far Barry Trotter and the unneccessary sequel is my fave....

SAtown_punk
I think they surpass the hype. And in all honesty, I haven't heard any hype on it at all, other than word of mouth.

Unnecessary sequels? You're out of your mind. It's a saga, just like Lord of the Rings(which I don't like, it's just a good example.)

zinh
Have only read 1 and 2 and am almost done with 3. Like 3 the best yet.

They are indeed not the greatest books ever but they are pretty darn good compared to ALOT of classics that are boring. Wish, I had to read these instead of crap like Twain books in school. But that is a different subject.

JackSparrow2005
There all good n.n

LaLaLaGirl21
My fav was the goblet of fire. i think the order of the phinox was kinda a blow cuz my fav charater dies! how bad does that sux! Goblet of fire rocked though. the other ones were good too.

ElectricBugaloo
I liked them all. i was kinda disappointed that only one person died in that whole climactic battle. that was kinda weak that the death eaters couldn't best a bunch of half trained kids.

aggrivated
the 4th book was the best! no one is giving it enough consideration and the 5th wasnt very good! it was the worst all harry did was complain and think about cho! but i did like luna lovegood, and i cant wait for hte next book. someone said we should read more classics and i agree but i think u can read harry potter books too. and the correct order is

4th/3rd (their equal)
2nd
1st
5th

RoguePw25
I really like the Harry Potter Books!!

I've started a Sorting Hat in the Harry Potter Forum. Come and join in the fun!!!!

Unicor777
In order: PoA, OoPH, GOF, then I haven't read the first two (I saw the 1st two mivies), maybe I should read them. I hated HP books and the whole fama around the books and the movies, I was dragged by force to see the movies, then accidently i got the POA. One boring day I said waht ever, I always thought of the books , like children bokks. Thats how it started! Now, I don't think that a book of 700 pgs is children's book. You?

crazy_c
Thta's like saying a child is too dumb to read a big book. I read the chamber of screts in five hours when i was nine. happy

Unicor i love your avatar! stick out tongue

iluvpippin
OH MY GOD!!!!! thats exactly how i feel!!!! 3,5,4,1,2!!!! thats so weired!!!!!

Line
These books are based on the fairy tale genre, which is again based on repetition. The main character often starts and ends the same place. Still, these repetitions are broken at times, to indicate a change. E.g. GOF which starts, not at the Dursley's, but at the Riddles' house. By doing this, Rowling lets us know something new's about to happen, thus making repetition and the sudden lack of repetition a strength.

darknessdragon
hey lindsissexyk hope you read my message when you do please dont hurt your self i'm the one thats smokin' just play'n

Raventheonly
Anyone who likes LoTR will not like Harry Potter books and vice versa.
I could not get past the idea of wands being the source of a wizards power...

crazy_c
i like them both messed

Line
gotta be kidding! that's what held you back?

and it isn't. potions and jinxes for example. don't need a wand for those.

siruslover
I love LOVE the Harry Potter Books. Best though is The Goblet of Fire. rock love thumb up

ElectricBugaloo
Prisoner of Azkaban is a transition book that is used for introducing characters that will be needed later in series. It's still better than book 1 and 2 which are more like children's books.

vaya_the_elf
Does anyone know when the sixth book will be out?

BOPRecruit 16
is or has anyone read "the magical worlds of harry potter" by david colbert?

vaya_the_elf
I have not read it, is it any good?

BOPRecruit 16
i wouldn't have mentioned the book if it weren't! happy very informative and gives you such detailed and wonderful background to everything in the books! eek!

Rad_1
Harry Potter's the greatest!love I can't choose just one.

BOPRecruit 16
i think my personal fave so far is prisoner of azkaban.

Animagus
i recommend Hockyhorrer leave this thread which he is putting absolutely no insight into. The man asked which HP book is best and you obviously didn't like them for whatever reason...so move on. And what do you mean by classics? How much more classic can you get? HP has sold more books than any other book ehhh....ever.

I couldn't stomach reading the LotR books. Like shakespear all over again. "He walked forth through the twighlight from yonder moon benign from the aghast creeping of the ablaze pearl set atop the mountainside, masticating distant stars in it's glaring wake" the cut the crap translation...."the moon was bright" The book was so wordy, not even Clinton could worm his way out of it.

I for one never read a single ENTIRE book all through school, faked my way through reports and exams on books. Then one sleepless night i picked up a random book on the shelf (which happened to be Sorcers Stone) and sat and read the entire book in a couple of hours. I was hooked from then on.

Getting back on subject Order of the Phoenix and Goblet of Fire are great and is difficult to decide between which is better. However, if you're wanting to read them, it is a necessity to read them in order as they all take place in Harry's successive years in school. Many refrences and characters are introduced throught the books and it would be beyond confusing to jump in the middle and read. Whichever you choose though, I hope you enjoy :-D

Zenab
Oooh! iam just crazy about harry potter books. At least it is more entertaining than classics. I dont think people read books to get upset and depressed.

BOPRecruit 16
omg! eek! i recommend that you all buy "the magical worlds of harry potter" by david colbert! from what i've read so far in the book, i found the "latin" section most interesting. i learned what all the spells really meant in latin! coolies! happy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.