Back to the Future...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LanceWindu
What is you favorite BTTF movie? Also who is your favorite actor from the series?

Mine is Back to the Future III in the old west. My favorite actor is Thomas F. Wilson the guy who play's Biff Tannen all ages, Griff Tannen, and Buford Tannen, because he had to play all of those diverse roles.

ToMacco
The original is still the best one in my mind, man. I would have to agree with you on the best character, Biff (in whatever form) was the standout figure in the trillogy.

Texas
I liked PartII when he went to the Future! I also like the Biff character.

King Jedi
Part 1 is still my favourite. Some of the effects in Part 2 look really bad now.

ToMacco
I was taking a trip out to California when they were filming 2 and 3. I saw some of the futuristic cars that they used in 2.

ToMacco
If anyone has access to these movies, here is a funny thing to watch:

At the end of 1, when Doc comes back from the future at the end of the movie. Marty asks Doc what happens in the future "What, do we become a** holes or something?" Doc says no.

Now, watch the start of 2. It's the same scene, but they had to reshoot it, because they had a different actress playing Jennifer. Again, Marty asks "What, do we become a** holes or something?" This time Doc waits for a second and thinks about it, then he replies no.

It's pretty funny. I don't know if they did that on purpose or not.

King Jedi
Elizabeth Shue was Jennifer in the first one if I remember.
Or was that Karate Kid?

ToMacco
ES was in 2 and 3

It was the Karate Kid she was in. Another great film. I loved the scene when Daniel gets out of the ocean, and those two guys are drinking beers by Miagi's truck. They won't remove the bottles, so Miagi karate chops the heads off the beers. big grin

julibug
Back to the Future is one of the best trilogies ever!!! I have the dvd set. I think my fave actor would have to be either Christopher Lloyd (doc) or Crispin Glover (George McFly). My favorite of the 3 movies is definately the 1st, but I love all 3!

silver_tears
I love all three of the BTTF movies and i love marty or doc the most big grin

Sheepz
My favorite one was the 2nd. I hated the 3rd one. It was rather uneeded. Yeah, Christopher Lloyd is rather awesome.

Kes
My fave is the 1st, and I love the scenes in the future from the 2nd movie but when he goes to the past it gets boring messed
The 3rd is ok but nothing compared to the 1st.
My fave character?! Thats difficult...maybe Doc or Marty.

nazgulinthedark
the 1st

o kiMMii o
my fav is part 2

ragesRemorse
The first is the best, but never watching or knowing anything about back to the future, and watching the 2nd one for the first time after seeing the first gave me some of the best feelings from any morie. I diddnt really like the 3rd, it was to over the top for me. That doesnt mean i still dont watch it though

shadow link
i reckon 2 coz of the concepts that r brought up, from my memory the story is more complex than the first or 3rd 1, and favourite actor in it would be the guy who played doc, i think christopher loyd

Wolfie
I can't decide between the first two. The third was okay, it went back to the original problem, being stuck in the past, as in the second, whether or not they can go through time wasn't an issue.

SnakeEyes
I liked the second the best

baracustastic
1st one is by far the best. Doc is the best character.

But there is one HUGE flaw in Bttf II. The 88 mph thing seems to get forgotten about, only for it to become central to the plot of part III.

But the films are excellent and the music is awesome

Wolfie
Getting to 88 MPH wasn't really an issue in Part II 'cause they didn't have to worry about driving into a wire or getting pushed by a train to get back home.

Cinemaddiction
I still like the original best. Part 2, I'm torn, because it has an AWESOME futuristic, "what's old is new again" flair with the space age town square, malt shop, gas stations, and of course the Hoverboard, but then there's the future, with the ghetto-fied Lyon Estates, Biff becoming an abusive millionaire, etc.

Kind of contrasting stories..but I still like it. Uhh..I bought the Trilogy DVD set and have not yet, and probably won't ever, atch Part 3.

Wolfie
You have watched Part 3 though, right? I found it enjoyable, definately worst of the trilogy. I watched it again recently and remembered how fake it looked when Marty and Seamus were in the same scene, being the same actor.

Also, why did Lea Thompson play Maggie? The family that helped Marty was clearly on Marty's dad's side of the family. So the actress that played Marty's mom shouldn't be playing anyone on his dad's family.

RZA
I like the entire trilogy, this is one of my absolute favorites. But if I had to choose one I'd have to go with part 2 just because of the creative futuristic ideas behind it. I like how they made the concepts realistic and didn't go too over the top with it. Some of the stuff in the film even came true, like Miami having it's own baseball team except they didn't get beat by the Cubs like in the movie big grin

wuTa
1st is the best hands down..marty is one of the coolest charactors ever in cinema....and because of that movie one of my goals in life is to own a doleran so why dont you make like a tree and get out of here

ladygrim
My favorite is the one i think is in the wild west wink

Lydia_J
I love the first one, but the second one has to be the best because it has to all match up with the timeing of BTTF1, i've seen the third one a few too many times for it to be my favourite

SpikeSpiegel
I love the trilogy. Back to the Future 3 was my favourate, just because I liked the wild west setting. But now, I think No. 2 was the best, with Marty (2) having to set the future straight without meeting Marty (1).

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Wolfie
You have watched Part 3 though, right? I found it enjoyable, definately worst of the trilogy.

Oh, I've seen it a few times. I find myself walkin' around, talkin about "Nee-kay" skins, lol. I just loathe Westerns in general.

baracustastic
Originally posted by Wolfie
Getting to 88 MPH wasn't really an issue in Part II 'cause they didn't have to worry about driving into a wire or getting pushed by a train to get back home.

My point was that when Doc gets hit by lightning he is hovering, not nipping along at 88mph and yet still timetravels. In the first one the car had to be at 88mph AND get hit by lightning. In the third they have to do wacky stuff with a train because 88mph is crucial.

Wolfie
Hmmm... I didn't think about that before.

wuTa
1.21 jiggawatts!!!??? 1.21 JIGGAWATTS!!!!!??

what the hell is a jiggawatt?

Padmé Amidala
Love these films, watched one and two less than a week ago

LLG
I think the 1st and 2nd were the best. I liked the 3rd one, but I don't think it's one of the best in my opinion.

Ignite
the third one was ok...
but i really enjoyed the 2nd and 1st one...
they were great

fruits
i really like all these movies. i think they all have really good ideas, and this one of the few time travel movies that doesn't confuse me royally

Evil Dead
I like the original........the two sequels didn't really have compelling stories........a bit too over the top and slap stick in places.

here's your explanation:

- 88 mph has nothing to do with the functioning of the time machine. It just so happens that the time machine is a car, so doc had to set a specific speed that would activate the time machine portion of the car. Otherwise he would be time traveling everytime he put it in gear. 88mph was merely a switch mechanism.

- at the end of the first movie the lightning is not what sent Marty back to the future. The time circuits were functioning as normal.....the time machine was in perfect working order. The lightning was only to provide the electricity needed (1.21 jiggawats) to power the time machine. The time circuits were still what sent Marty on his way back to the future once the power was harnassed from the lightning to enable the machine to work.

- at the end of part II doc is struck by lightning while hovering in the air and subsequently ends up in the old west. He writes Marty a letter which explains what happens. The lightning shorted out the time machine...the time circuits....which sent him hurling aimlessly back in time. The 88mph switch mechanism was moot, as was the time circuits to control his time travel........the whole thing shorted out.

- at the beginning of part 3 Marty and Doc repair the time machine (circuits, switch mechanism, everything) using 1955 parts as Doc instructed in his letter. It was now back to perfect working order so Marty could go back to 1985. Marty instead decided to go back and get Doc, tearing his fuel line in the process and running out of gas. The time machine was back to perfect working order, it just needed gas.....hence the 88 mph switch mechanism was there.......which meant they had to find a way to attain that speed w/o gasoline.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Evil Dead
I like the original........the two sequels didn't really have compelling stories........a bit too over the top and slap stick in places.

here's your explanation:

- 88 mph has nothing to do with the functioning of the time machine. It just so happens that the time machine is a car, so doc had to set a specific speed that would activate the time machine portion of the car. Otherwise he would be time traveling everytime he put it in gear. 88mph was merely a switch mechanism.

- at the end of the first movie the lightning is not what sent Marty back to the future. The time circuits were functioning as normal.....the time machine was in perfect working order. The lightning was only to provide the electricity needed (1.21 jiggawats) to power the time machine. The time circuits were still what sent Marty on his way back to the future once the power was harnassed from the lightning to enable the machine to work.

- at the end of part II doc is struck by lightning while hovering in the air and subsequently ends up in the old west. He writes Marty a letter which explains what happens. The lightning shorted out the time machine...the time circuits....which sent him hurling aimlessly back in time. The 88mph switch mechanism was moot, as was the time circuits to control his time travel........the whole thing shorted out.

- at the beginning of part 3 Marty and Doc repair the time machine (circuits, switch mechanism, everything) using 1955 parts as Doc instructed in his letter. It was now back to perfect working order so Marty could go back to 1985. Marty instead decided to go back and get Doc, tearing his fuel line in the process and running out of gas. The time machine was back to perfect working order, it just needed gas.....hence the 88 mph switch mechanism was there.......which meant they had to find a way to attain that speed w/o gasoline.

That is the most rationalization i have ever encountered in a back to the future conversation. good job though. that is more than i would bother to write. I would have just said it happened because the writers wanted shitty sequals.

Darth Macabre
2nd deff was my favorite. Although the whole trilogy is amazing.

My favorite actor was Christopher Lloyd.

baracustastic
Evil Dead,

cheers for that.

It just seemed strange to me that 88 miles an hour being crucial throughout the trilogy should suddenly become a moot point. (A weak bit of writing that's below the trilogy IMO)

However Doc wasn't sent aimlessly through time. Earlier in II, the time circuits blink and flash, Doc thumps them and says "I'll have to fix that." The time flashing is 1885, the year Doc ends up.

The only other thing that bugged me was why the car wasn't wrecked when it fell from the sky in 1885? Cos Doc says the flying stuff got buckled in the lightning.

Anyway, I only notice these things cos of the ridiculous number of times I've seen the films. They're my comfort films.

Wolfie
Well, just assume the ground in 1885 was higher than in 1955 in that area so the time machine didn't fall far.

Darth Macabre
Or they buckeled but he held it long enough that he just barely got down the ground?

Clovie
i love these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DarthLazious
BTTF rules.....I wish they would put them back on the big screen this year since it now 20 years old.

I have always loved Marty.

Wolfie
Yeah, I'd pay to see the first two re-released. The third one I would consider.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.