Exclusive DVD Content

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ratcat
OK, this morning I recieved an email from Lucasfilms regarding the http://dvd.starwars.com website. Looks like there is potentially going to be a lot of new stuff on there ans they are pre-warning webmasters that this content is exclusive and should not be captured and posted.

I am posting this here so people are aware. Whilst Raz, Zed and the moderation team can not take direct responsibility for anything you post, if you start posting images from the exclusive site it is Raz who will get the email complaints admin and tech contact for the forum.

Basically people, be sensible, if you accessed it via the DVD web-link consider it off limits for reposting please.

Ushgarak
Well said that man.

It had better be cool stuff...

Ratcat
That's what I was thinking. From experience I have found that the size and importance of a new item on the official website is related to how far down the food chain of websites they go with an email like this.

SWMovies.Net isn't that near the top of the food chain, (i.e. pretty insignificant to LFL) so hopefully that indicates some real goodies.

Guess I'll be going shopping tomorrow morning...

King Jedi
So is it going to be AOTC stuff?

Ushgarak
I think that's meant to be the idea, yeah.

King Jedi
What could they put on this, that they haven't already showed us? Apart from posters and trailers.

Ushgarak
Curious, isn't it? Could be terribly disappointing.

yerssot
more pics?
I don't know because I don't have a DVD-drive! mad

Raz
How does the 'Fair Use' clause of the Copyright Law come into play here?

According to that particular section:Not that I'm saying that we shouldn't respect LFL's wishes...

yerssot
I see... confused

Ratcat
Raz is right about the fair use clause, but the problem is that we all know that LFL would go to court and there are very few people out there who would be willing to risk going up against LFL lawyers. Who could afford to do it? Without the lawyers to argue your case you would still end up loosing.

I'm thinking trailer and teaser poster here. There's reportedly a big desire in LFL to beat the record on trailer downloads that was let by LOTR I believe.

You also have to recognise that the fair use clause does make mention of the quantity of an item used. I think there is also an issue with regards to restriction but I am no lswyer. By giving this restriction notice I think it is safe to say that anyone who does step over the line would find themselves in a very shakey position indeed.

Ushgarak
BTW, can't people just cvisit the address of their own accord?

BTW, if you want to use fair dealing as a defence then you have to give due acknowledgement of the source of the subject in question. Just a reminder.

Ratcat
The site is protected. You have to install a piece of software, called the InterActual browser, in order to access the site.

It uses some nifty programming to check for the DVD in the drive as well.

Ushgarak
Cool.

ToMacco
laughing out loud

I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about! It would take me years to figure out how to do all of that stuff you're talking about.

Technology is too complicated! To me, progress of computers peaked with Super Mario Bros.

Ratcat
Ah, a technophobe.... laughing out loud (j/k)

ToMacco
that's right, though.

Ratcat
I sent an email to Paul Ens on the fair use issue and he was kind enough to reply.

What he basically says is that anything on StarWars.Com is OK, as long as it is reported in such a way that it does not negate the need to visit the source. i.e. Fair Use as defined previously.

He woudn't be drawn on whether the content on http://DVD.StarWars.Com would become available on the regular site though.

It appears that SW.C are within there rights to request no external disclosure on the dvd site right now as there is very little there that could be displayed elsewhere without violating the fair use clause.

I think it will get interesting if they release the trailer through the dvd site as a screen cap would fall into fair use, but they want to ban them as well.

Texas
*pets computer DVD ROM*
soon boy, soon big grin

yerssot
and nobody online because they have the DVD... sad

*starts singing 'only the lonely*

Ratcat
Hey, I was here, I posted a mini-review then sodded off to watch 6 hours of star wars. big grin

Ushgarak
I only understand UK copyright, of course, I really don't have a clue how it would work for these guys.

yerssot
I just got it but I don't have a DVD-ROM can someone tell me what's on the site?

King Jedi
I don't have a DVD-ROM either. sad It sucks.

Texas
Are we allowed to give away the deatils about the DVD ROM features? I have a DVD ROM, and all I can say is that it really kicks ass! The second preview image was just beyond kewl! I cant wait for Novemer 9th!

ToMacco
Was there any episode ii footage? i don't have a dvd player, so buying tpm dvd would useless. sad

Texas
footage? Not exactly

ToMacco
So what was the footage of? you have no idea how interested i am in this. tell me now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d

King Jedi
Is it possible to attach my DVD player to my PC and access it this way?

yerssot
as far I know: no
but I'm doing some searching, there is software that let you play DVD's on a normal ROM.

Texas
I doubt that will work roll eyes (sarcastic)
On the back is specifically says that you will be unale to access the special features on a CD ROM drive
Besides, I doubt the InterActual player would work even if you did manage to get it to play.

*Goes off to look at Exclusive Episode 1 Pictures available only to DVD ROM owners* cool

yerssot
I can still try

Texas
Try you must, something special awaits November 9th!

yerssot
I asked RC about that

Texas
what did he have to say?

yerssot
he didn't replied..yet

Texas
Oh. Well basically what it is: They will add extra features and stuff perodically. They said to check back on the 9th. I'm thinking trailor!! smokin'

Ratcat
Hey, I did reply.

Anyhow, as of now the 9th could give us a trailer, a teaser poster or both. Or it could be something completely different.

I tend to think it will be both.

yerssot
you replied?
I think I've forgot then...

But, I think the trailer is too soon!

Texas
Not for DVD ROM owners smokin'

Ratcat
According to a trade document that LFL issues the trailer and poster will be issues around the 2nd week in November.

The document was released by ArtooNews.Com.

Here's the SWMovies.Net story on it

Texas
With Monsters Inc......
I wonder what they have planned for the 9th then?

Ratcat
Well that would be the 2nd week in Novemeber so I say TRAILER!!!!!!! big grin

Texas
But we could just see the Trailer on the 2nd, which makes it really crappy if they are just going to wait until the 9th to see the same thing. Will you be able to see the trailer in Europe on the 2nd?

Ratcat
I couldn't say.

Texas
Well now it's making sense. The trailer comes out the week of the 2nd. Nov 2nd is a Friday, Monsters Inc comes out that Friday. Pretty sure the trailer is going to be with it. Then for those people not in the US they can see it on the 9th. Well if that's the case I am going to be really pissed! This DVD ROM thingy is not as great as I thought it would be roll eyes (sarcastic)

hope I'm wrong

yerssot
so what about that DVD site?????
what's going on there?

ToMacco
Remember how they released two trailers for The Phantom Menace? Maybe on the 9th you guys will get to access the 2nd trailer of Attack of the Clones.

finti
9 of Novembere will be a day long remembered, we get trailers and I am going to a major party with my fav pub, and it is free bar big grin big grin big grin smile rolling on floor laughing
*In my best John Belushi voice* "TRAILER TRAILER TRAILER"

yerssot
wasn't it a trailer and a teaser?

Ushgarak
I just assdumed it would be available on the web first for the DVD owners (on the 9th) and later for others.

By the way, RC said second WEEK. Not second DAY. So it is still 9th for the cinema.

King Jedi
Only the DVD owners with a DV-Rom. sad

Ushgarak
Sadly true.

yerssot
I know someone with a DVD-Rom!!!!! smile smile smile

Texas
Yeah, me! But your not coming over to my house stick out tongue
*locks door* stick out tongue

yerssot
*ignores Texas again*
I've found another one with a DVD-Rom!!!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.