Fydor DOstoevsky

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
anyone read any of his books. i read Crime and Punishment but it was so deep and serious. it was a great book. true classic.

badkittykitty
wow! no I havent I know that he is famous for crime and punishment. I am getting so many great reading ideas here I love it..I will check him out...heres a good quote by Fyodor Dostoevsky~

If you want to be respected by others the great thing is to respect yourself. Only by that, only by self-respect will you compel others to respect you.

Corlindel
Yeap. Crime and Punishment is for me is bigger classil.~

readed a lot of F.D. novels.
They are great as other books from classical russian authours.

I recommend:

-The Idiot
-Brothers Karamazov
-The Injured and the Insulted.

He wrote lot of good books that I recommend as I recommend everyone to read russian classicald from N. Gogol, and Alexander Soljenitsin - wirters from the XX century. stick out tongue

mechmoggy
Crime & Punishment is a great book, I couldn't put it down.

Very dark and disturbing, but what a great anti-hero. big grin

h0ck3yh0rr0r
The Idiot? now i have to read that.

i also recommend Black Tulip by Fydor Dostoevsky.

manorastroman
all about the idiot and notes from underground.

Council#13
I found the 8 page monologues of the characters extremely boring in Crime and Punishment. However, I have to give Dostoyevsky credit for being able to portray both the good and bad sides of human nature so well.

RaventheOnly
Crime and Punishment was like an extension of Hamlet if it were novel. And the eight page monologue gives a true perspective to a person in deep thought for a week of meditations on their actions.

argesilen
He's my favorite Russian writer, though I'm very fond of others like Tolstoy, Mereshkovski, Gogol as well...what's interesting for me about D. is that he discovered a whole new world of human nature, that lies in all of us, world of demons and demonic, as well as angelic nature of men...He described a crime for crime, free of any goal or desire...in him I found priest, who opened the door of religion for me...how to be truly religious, read D. and find out...
favorite work: C and P, Notes from U, and BK...
if you're interested in some deeper analysis of D. read L.Sestov, V.Rosanov, and Mereshkovski...

Gregory
The dialogue of the Brothers Karamazov didn't read particularly true to me. I like Gogol better.

enjoyyrworries
Originally posted by Gregory
The dialogue of the Brothers Karamazov didn't read particularly true to me. I like Gogol better.

Maybe you have a bad translation? I remember the first time I read Anna Karenina, I had some 99 cent bargain-basement version, and the entire thing was so awful I only got through the first two books. I lost it and picked up a new version two years later and absolutely loved it.

Dr. Zaius
In addtion to Crime and Punishment, The Brothers K, and Notes from the Underground, the essential read is The Possessed.

beaujay1
I've started The Idiot, but can't get into it

Locard
Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment must be some of the bestest books i've ever read

For dostoeisky beginners, i recommend you
- Crime and punishment,
- Biesi (Demons), this book is friggin amazing, full of death and evil. it gives you an insight to humans evil nature, the two kinds of evil, the passionate one and the cold one. the cold one is the real demon, because the cold one cant love and...oh whatever, you better read it by yourself.

- the Injured and the Insulted (that was the first Dostoeisvsky book i ever read and i loved it)

these three books are great and quite short compared to the others. (Brothers karamazov is also great , but humongously long, so its not good to begin with)

DONT READ "THE IDIOT" unless you're a hardcore Fyodor fan
(I am one, and i still dont like it much)
the Idiot is the worst dostoievsky book i've ever read, it lacks the pain, the suffering, the death and all the other things that make Dostoievskys books awesome.Its also very long

Locard
DONT READ "THE IDIOT" unless you're a hardcore Fyodor fan
(I am one, and i still dont like it much)
the Idiot is the less good dostoievsky book i've ever read, it lacks the pain, the suffering, the death and all the other things that make Dostoievskys books awesome.Its also very long

fixed.
because nothing Dostoievsky wrote is bad, everything he did is an immortal classic. cool

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.