Am I beautiful

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Amour
Hello friends
Am I beautiful cool

Raz
Cool, our first Iranian.

Fire
that's a first

hotsauce6548
okay... blink

SaTsuJiN
do you mean beautiful, in a self absorbed way? or are you honestly asking that question? Then again you could be posting a fake pic or insulting a friend... decisions decisions..

Tired Hiker
We are all beautiful people!

Bhang
Sorry I am not into kids with braces. But who knows?

LindsIsTightK
What the f**k? Strange thing to make a thread about....................

Complicated
Perhaps, since he's Iranian and it's incredibly likely that English is, at best, his second language, perhaps his intended question isn't quite so vain.

Bhang
Well, we are waiting....

chatcat1313
waiting...................... sleep

Friend44
thumb down No. He who asks a question, deserves and answer.

LanceWindu
You would be if you were Jenna Jameson

BackFire
No, I don't think you're beautiful.

Celsius
Look, A unibrow!!!! Nah, i dont dig guys, sorry.

LanceWindu
Jenna Jameson has a Unibrow?

lil bitchiness
LOL Lance!!! big grin

Logical_lou
I'm giving you the once over, and no, I don't think you are.
However. I do think you are full of yourself. eek!

SaTsuJiN
yes.. 'perhaps' .. but we cant just assume he's not as capable of deception as you or me or anyone else around here. so I wanted to know if he was really being truthful about such a vague question, or whether he was just wanting to pull everyones leg.

Friend44
thumb down I think you are ugly. (just thought you were out for a specific amount of answers - hope this helps)

Evil Dead
I don't see anything to spectacular about you (I'm much better looking you know).......but I bet Michael Jackson would still molest you.

WaDe_N_sPaRrOw
r u 12 ?????? nd i dont find u nice looking at all sry.. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Gravity Kills
I think it is weird to do a post like that but, hey it is a post you don't see everyday

h0ck3yh0rr0r
tight ur Iranian. heheh im Armenian. smile

Godshinto
no

jacksparrow22
when you assume, you make an A-S-S out of U and M-E

Greek_girl
well im a beutifully greek scottish girl so up ur bum with a cocanut

Greek_girl
who is out there godshino can u help me???

Complicated
It's a good thing, then, that I wasn't assuming anything. You didn't notice the use of perhaps and likely? There were two ideas my statement was based upon - that he is from Iran and that Iranians speak Farsi (not English) as their first language. That he is in Iran is put forth as fact, since he said it directly in his profile, and that Farsi is the first language of Iran is also established through innumerable reputable sources.

Assumptions in this thread were made by others and include, but are not limited to, the following: That the picture is of him. That he was referring to physical beauty. That he meant exactly what he said, including that degree of aesthetic pleasantry. That he was being serious. The he meant for us to respond, instead of just the friends he mentioned. If that picture is of him, that it is by that picture that he wants to be judged. That he had time to complete his post, and meant what we were given to be all we could judge when questioning his beauty - that it wasn't just a mistake that he posted. That he didn't just spell U-G-L-Y really, really poorly. The truth is that there's a good deal of assumption in just about every conversation a person has, and that annoying little statement really only makes an ass of the person quoting it.

If this is meant for me... erm...

He's Iranian, and clearly of arabic descent. Using probability to attain a reasonable conclusion, he is likely Iranian. Your post suggests that such a Greek Scottish girl is an oddity - hardly the grounds upon which to base your arguments of the ethnicity of another.

beaujay1
i hate judging people, im not like that...nothing wrong with asking

hotsauce6548
ahhhhhh... a unibrow!!

diegocala
Sweet, that brow reminds me of a caterpillar big grin

Complicated
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=48634

Maybe you guys should look at his other posts. It's clear that his control of the English language isn't all that great. He likely didn't mean to be vain, or insulting, or mean in any way, and here many of you are, insulting him. Do you realize how small that makes you look? thumb down

diegocala
<<I am actually only 2 feet tall

Complicated
And HILARIOUS!

SaTsuJiN
if he truely is sincere about this thread he'd most likely give feedback. Also, no offense but a forum is no place to brush up on your english skills. Perhaps the reading part, but the understanding of tone is a different story.... not to mention referring to yourself as 'beautiful' in western society comes off as strange (specially if you're a guy hehe). So, its natural that many of the people that come to post are like What the f**k? . thus there should be a mutual culture understanding as handsome and beautiful are of somewhat similar definition in other countries hehe

DC Sirius Black
um... guys im getting really tired of reading really long quotes... especially from complicated cuz im simple... stick out tongue no expression

Complicated
Why? He's got a dozen people burning him already. Not everyone has the guts to stand up for themselves, even with the immunity of an online forum.

Is that perhaps a bit of a jab at me? stick out tongue Actually, internet forums are the perfect place to brush up on your spelling, grammar, and style - if you're up to it. You're typing a lot, there's time to think, unlike in a chat, and the repetition is so high that all changes you make to your style will become second nature rather quickly. There's also the possibility that others can be influenced to join in on the more sophisticated type of IBB usage. To quote a Chinese proverb, "It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

BTW, I'm no newbie to internet forums - very far from it, in fact.

Yeah, uh... This doesn't make any sense. If you're saying that it's easy for us to read and understand what he wrote, but not his meaning, then you're wrong. Clearly, we're not understanding what he said. If you're saying that it's easy for him to read our posts, and not understand what we mean, then you're right. Of course, you meant the first one...

Here's the thing - he's young, and clearly not of western society. If this thread has proven anything, it's that younglings can be blissfully ignorant of how the world really is. Of course we would get weirded out if an American guy walked up to us and asked if he's beautiful. But, THIS GUY ISN'T WESTERN! Though our culture is pervasive, believe it or not, there are some people in the world that don't watch The Simpsons and MTV and WWE.

Furthermore, there's a language barrier here and as I already said, it's exceedingly likely that he doesn't know that beautiful is an effeminate term.

It's also natural for me to whip my **** out and beat it every time I get a hard-on in class but I don't do it, do I? Sometimes being a decent person means ignoring your more impulsive responses.

Erm... Something like that. Perhaps people, especially the two 20+ year olds that derided him, should think for a couple of seconds before flaming someone so obviously young and foreign.

You mean "posts" instead of "quotes," right? Sorry. I'm unwilling to submit a post I feel will be misunderstood, and as this thread has demonstrated quite easily, that means that I often have to go into specifics.

liz123
i have to be beautiful or i would not have won the miss france contest!

Evil Dead
#1. I agree with Complicated........

#2. Ooh, ooh, ooh..........will you quote me next?!!!!

Complicated
Sure. stick out tongue

SaTsuJiN
"But, THIS GUY ISN'T WESTERN! Though our culture is pervasive, believe it or not, there are some people in the world that don't watch The Simpsons and MTV and WWE."

I know he's "NOT WESTERN!" , but... THIS FORUM IS!
we can only help out someone to the best of our available abilities. whatever misunderstandings happen beyond that are out of our control.

"Is that perhaps a bit of a jab at me? "

err.. no.. I meant a forum is no place for someone who doesnt have a grasp on the english language.

"it's exceedingly likely that he doesn't know that beautiful is an effeminate term."

............ that is EXCEEDINGLY like what I just said... *sigh*

Complicated
Actually, this forum is quite worldly. I see lots of international members - lots of people whose first language is not English. There is nothing in the rules that states a member must have a firm command of our language - it's just implied. He may feel that he can, in fact, converse on our level. He may feel that his level is good enough, unaware of our differences.

Regardless, again, it's exceedingly likely that he didn't know what he was saying. Now, if you want to continue making yourself look like an ass you can make fun of his linguistic and cultural differences (ya know, a 12-14 year old's conversing fairly well in a language not his own really deserves ridicule) but my entire point - apparently one that you missed - is that he should not be derided for being vain or bold - especially if you're going to choose to make fun of his linguistic and cultural differences.

Haha... Have you read the forums lately? Half the english-speaking members post in a less coherent manner.

Is it really that hard to imagine, since he was in fact ignorant of our meaning for the word "beautiful," that he is also ignorant of his linguistic errors? He's probably the star pupil in his English class, and feels it's time for him to bring it to the real world.

Then, why wouldn't a forum be a place to go for someone with his knowledge of our language? If he stuck to it, and just ignored the childish comments of obdurate, fatuous members such as yourself, he'd likely learn quite a bit.

Actually, poor grammar aside, it's not what you said. You said, "not to mention referring to yourself as 'beautiful' in western society comes off as strange." That is not, by any stretch of the imagination, the same thing. Your statement means that "beautiful" is an effeminate term. My statement of, "It's exceedingly likely that he doesn't know that beautiful is an effeminate term" means that he doesn't know that "beautiful" is an effeminate term.

diegocala
Do you even know this person, or are you just talking out the side of your head?

{quote}Here are the quote tags if you want to ramble off some more crap {/quote} laughing out loud

Complicated
No, I don't know him.

Do you have a genuine argument to make for your conduct, or are you just talking out of your ass?

SaTsuJiN
LOL.. I was in no way making fun of anyone. You're the one making an absolute ass out of yourself by attempting to sound like you have a doctorate in linguistics. Who else here would have the sheer rudeness to pick apart someones posts the way you do?

You obviously ignored the point of my posts, which basically meant that the people who were rude, were rude because they dont understand the barrier, or dont care. Theres nothing wrong with them because they dont have time to play first grade english with someone. Theres also nothing wrong with the people that choose to make time to do so. I had also said that the use of the word beautiful doesnt have a gender barrier in other countries, clearly that was missed by someone of your intellect, which in turn is a real shocker... indeed you can feel the sarcasm about now.

Again, I had never ridiculed any ESL people (English as a Second Language). Hell, I took Japanese for 3 years, so somewhere I must be used to that kind of thing. The point is that this is a strange topic in terms of 'our' culture (which this forum is predominantly made up of), so dont be surprised if people come in and bash it

diegocala
I don't argue with long winded people, who just want to pick out and exploit other people opinions.

He asked for comments we gave them, this is not a debutante ball here. It's the freakin internet.

Get over yourself

SaTsuJiN
heh, yeah you're right. And I've never been into myself to get over myself, so I dont know where that came from. I love how people who dont know you will be the first to throw insults. Good going wink

finally to answer the question : you are o.k. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Complicated
Satsujin, in your first two posts, you offered him five possible alternate reasons for his first post, all placing him in a negative light, and then proceeded to suggest that he was being deceptive. While you didn't deride his language, you were being misanthropic and contradictory to my suggestions. That is how you held my attention. My initial points were that we have no idea exactly what it is he wanted, and such being the case it is wrong to assume the worst and ridicule him, as others did.

If members don't care, as you put it, that is indeed a shortcoming. Diegocola's posts were of such nature, and rather pathetic, really. It's akin to picking on a little kid with no reason whatsoever, and attempting to justify it with "I don't care" or, as he put it, "It's the freakin internet." That doesn't make it right.

My language is exacting. When you're forming a thesis, or making an argument, it's best to be as precise as possible. Doing so allows you to state only facts, free from any logical rebuttle, and no matter the obstinance of those opposing you, you can make no errors. Sorry if you can't handle it. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Also, using quotes in the manner I do allows the other person to follow your own argument easier. I've always done it as a favor, as I don't need them.

*EDIT* ALso, again, while your post said that "there is no gender barrier," mine was saying that he didn't know that we have it. Yet again, those are different statements. Yours means nothing, seeing as how he is a student of the english language and will, at some point, be taught that. Mine means something, as it is the only one to establish the point that he doesn't know.

diegocala
Comp, you sound like the scarecrow after he received his brains from OZ laughing out loud

SaTsuJiN
possibilities and reasons greatly differ, learn them

lol someone get amour up in here, we obviously need more conversational time with him, according to russel crowe over here

Complicated
Umm... Now you're just not making any sense, Satsujin. I said, quite clearly, that you offered possible alternate reasons. Starting to run out of straws to grasp at, eh?

Diego, I should sound like a guy who's taken Mechanics of English Usage, Logistics, and Debating courses aplenty - a guy who's spent most of his life preparing to be a lawyer, and who's sick of seeing people pick on those that have done no harm.

diegocala
Comp, using your intellect in an offensive manner degrades your ability to get along with the rest of us.

If you want to show off your brains, cut your scalp and take a picture. Other than that you can take a walk across campus and jump in Lake Michigan

And standing up for Amour? You are doing nothing of the sort brainiac

Complicated
Hrm... And I'd want to get along with a couple of guys who saw fit to degrade Amour why? Make no mistake - I don't value your opinion of me at all.

To once again reference my exacting language and its necessity, I never said that these latest posts are in any way standing up for Amour. My initial ones were, pointing out clearly that there were additional meanings and intentions for his post, and that he shouldn't be derided so easily. My latest ones have been little more than defense of my stance, and I have made no claims otherwise.

And the lake kinda smells today... I ran by it this morning. I don't think I'll go swimming any time soon.

shruggie
...I like the halo the you've put around yourself...sorry, but i dun look at 12 yr. olds like that..

SaTsuJiN
nicely put diego and shruggie wink
grasping at straws? I'm telling 'you' what 'I' said. Obviously from your standpoint, 'you' are telling 'me' what 'I' said, which is completely absurd. I tossed up a few possibilities of what could have been, and if you wanted to bend it to your perspective (as most lawyers do) then feel free, just dont patronize me about it, k ?

demeaning people with your intellect doesnt get you friends, contrary to popular belief, now lets play nice cool

diegocala
Comp, you say that you don't care about how we feel about you, that's fine. I think your pompous, but who cares right?
But the point is you are caught up in a big circle here. You degraded people for their posts and at first you were taking a stand for Amour but it turned into bashing other members and their opinions

We will not let that ride around here. Use your smarts for good intentions, because right now you look like an idiot with zero people skills

But then again you are studying to be a blood shark.

DemonicGambit
I don't think you're beautiful but I ain't into guys. An' god damn ya guys ya made one simple question into a whole ordeal roll eyes (sarcastic)

Complicated
Satsu, you're really not making any sense whatsoever. You claimed that there's a difference between what you'd said about "possibilities" and what I said about possible reasons. What's the difference? And didn't you just tell me what I said? I thought you said that was absurd... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Also, I'm not sure what majority feels that demeaning people by use of intellect will gain friends. laughing out loud

Diego, you may realize that Amour did nothing to elicit such criticism. That's the very reason I stood up for him. Since then, both you and Satsu have conducted yourselves very poorly. That is why I'm treating you as I have. There's no continuity to your argument.

You may also notice that I have 145 posts now, and that this is the only thread in which I've posted in such a manner. I've done so out of principle, and find it odd that you would presume to lecture me about people skills when the entirety of this thread is testament to your lack of them. Oh, you must have meant the english-speaking, more senior members capable of defending themselves... Gotcha. roll eyes (sarcastic)

SaTsuJiN
Actually there was no purpose for you to quote me to begin with, instead you felt the need to pile on criticism with weak conviction. Also rearranging what I've said to make it sound insulting, which in turn is insulting--to yourself. Reason cannot co-exist with possibility in the same sentence, you may have a reason for coming up with a possibility, but as far as seeing a possibility as a reason, it doesnt make sense. Regardless of all this, if you feel it so out of your way to partake in this discussion, noones making you stay.

furthermore, rather than annoying these people by endless quoting and technicalities, make use of the PM feature, otherwise have some respect for the other forum users, even if you have none for me, k? wink

Complicated
Well, Satsu, I have not re-arranged anything you've written. Absolutely everything has been completely linear, with no omissions. Really, you're not making any sense.

To say that "reason cannot co-exist with possibility in the same sentence " is, well, asinine. It's best if you re-think your statement. What possible reason could you have for thinking they cannot be used in conjunction?

*EDIT* Here, I've got an example for you, from the linguistics department at Penn State.

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kroch/courses/lx550/sol5-550.html

*SECOND EDIT* And now that Satsu's suggested PMs, I'm done here.

Bhang
What an ass! Proud of yourself?

onceasalways
(apologies for not reading pages 3 & 4 before posting)

Complicated - you do realize you're arguing logic with people who are about half your age, many without abstract reasoning capabilities?

smile

I learned this lesson after trying to show an 11 year old that the more she insulted people she didn't agree with, the more emotional and angry she became, making her even more irrational, which undermined any credibility of argument she'd have from then on out..

Answer: smile and nod. The more upset they get, the more irrational their arguments get, and the more pointless it is to point out the illogical inconsistencies.

But then again.. that's just my experience.. Of course, with age and education, come experience and capability in argument - - - you're arguing with people half your age.. of course you'll have the ability to smear their logic. Age-wise we're coming into their territory, we can't really expect a more advanced line of thinking..

(I hope you don't get off feeling superior when you come onto a board full of 13 year olds and win philosophical debates.. that isn't too impressive of a feat, ya know?)

Complicated
Steph, I take it?

I have no idea what ages Diego and Satsujin are. I've been on quite a few car forums for about three years, and if there's one thing I've learned it's that even the middle-aged can come off as adolescents. That said, I guessed Satsu to be about 17-18 and Diego as 18-19. My initial posts were more disapproving than anything else, and I felt that even a 13 year old could understand. Maybe I was wrong.

And in my experience, much as stupidity knows no bounds, neither does the ability to learn. Sure, they may be arrogant, immature kids, but I feel that there's a better chance of changing that by knocking them off their illogical little feet than just allowing them to continue thinking themselves right. In case you didn't pick up on it, I'm an idealist. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.