Equlibrium/matrix

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mook
has anyone seen this film?
came out between matrix+reloaded and was a cross between George Orwells book 1984 + matrix (especially gun battles).

if youve read the book and seen the matrix id recommend it.

(is this ok to be in this forum? it is strongly matrix related)

Korri
it is alot like the matrix

mook
have you read 1984?

would greatly increase understanding+enjoyment of it.

"im trying to free your mind"

Korri
laughing ill look out for it

-=Urot=-
Also check out Ray Bradbury's classic Fahrenheit 451. Many of the ideas for Equlibrium were taken from the orignal story.

Just for your info Fahrenheit 451 is the temp at which paper will burn. wink

The Omega
Equilibrium is certainly worth a watch for Matrix fans. However it's borrowed a lot more from Orwell's 1984 and Bradbury's classic dystopian novel than the Matrix.
A higher budget and it would've been a hit.

And Christian Bale is not bad. NOT bad at all wink

-=Urot=-
One of these day I want to get my hands on a copy of The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner.

I also heard Suzy McKee Charnas books are good too.

The Omega
Ever read Orwell's Animal Farm??? Or Anthony Burgess A Clockwork Orange?

-=Urot=-
Animal Farm no. Clockwork Orange yes.

Clockwork Orange was very disturbing.

Verity
Hmmm....1984 is a wonderful book....I liked their movie version!

The Unknown
Is Equilibrium the one w/ the planet being brainwashed and a cop starts remembering, or something like that?

mook
sometime in the future they conclude that emotions lead to crime so outlaw emotions with suppressing drugs and a militant police force.

the one with the guy from 'american phsyco' and lots of gun fights.

The Omega> yeah ive read Animal Farm and A Clockwork Orange. i dont like the film version of clockwork orange at all tho. it was banned by the director in Britain after some people kicked a tramp to death (copy cat style) and wasnt realeased till Kubrick died. then when i finally saw it, i found it a dissapointment- especially after reading the book.

BIOS9
ive seen equalibrium, its good, good for matrix fans

Seraph
i liked equilibrium more than reloaded and revolutions. maybe youre gonna hate me for saying that but its true. christian bale is better than keanu reeves.
but its not as good as the matrix.
btu its defenitily worth watching

Korri
i love equilibrium

freemind
I liked Equilibrium, but not as much as the matrix movies.

-=Urot=-
http://www.myoc.com/entertainment/movies/stories/112002/holidaymovies/movies/equilibrium.jpg
One of my fav part of Equilibrium is when he tossed the two clips on the ground, then shot up the place. He timed it perfectly so when he needed to reload. He just did a flip, and smacked both gun bottoms on the ground, thus reloading the guns all in one smooth move!!!

That was friggin awesome!

If you havent seen Equilibrium yet. I would tell you to go rent it tonite.

Its worth seeing. ^_^

-=Urot=-
Ladies and Gents I had to dig this one out of the crates.

I know I know... Thx me later. wink

http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/66d3a350aa2f61/www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/images/equilibrium_poster.jpg
Click here to see the Equilibrium trailer.

mors823
I did read Animal and it was good. There are some similaries between the two stories, mainly through their styles. Animal Farm is an alagory of the Russian Revolution (an alagory is like one big metaphor where events in the book can be connected to real life) and The Matrix is a small alagory, depending on how you look at it, of Jesus. To avoid argument, I'll leave it at that.

F 451 and the Matrix are all stories of contol. Try reading Brave New World, it's also about control and it was written in the 1930's. Some world?

Verity
I haven't seen Equilibrium....What is that about?

-=Urot=-
Check out the link on my post above. ^_^

-=Urot=-
A broad science fiction thriller in a classic vein, Equilibrium takes a respectable stab at a Fahrenheit 451-like cautionary fable. The story finds Earth's post-World War III humankind in a state of severe emotional repression: If no one feels anything, no one will be inspired by dark passions to attack their neighbors. Writer-director Kurt Wimmer's monochromatic, Metropolis-influenced cityscape provides an excellent backdrop to the heavy-handed mission of John Preston (Christian Bale), a top cop who busts "sense offenders" and crushes sentimental, sensual, and artistic relics from a bygone era. Predictably, Preston becomes intrigued by his victims and that which they die to cherish; he stops taking his mandatory, mood-flattening drug and is even aroused by a doomed prisoner (Emily Watson). Wimmer's wrongheaded martial arts/dueling guns motif is sheer silliness (a battle over a puppy doesn't help), but Equilibrium should be seen for Bale's moving performance as a man shocked back to human feeling.

If you liked The Matrix and havent seen Equilibrium yet. I would tell you to go rent it tonite.

Its worth seeing. ^_^

http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/66d3a350aa2f61/www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/images/equilibrium_poster.jpg
Click here to see the Equilibrium trailer.

sith_darth_jay
never heard about this movie, but it looks great. i'm gonna rent it

The Omega
Verity> Matrix inspired sci-fi movie with a touch of 1984 and starring Christian Bale. HAd it had a bigger budget I think it would've been a a hit.

If you like Matrix you'll like Equilibirum.
SEE IT! big grin

Iconoclast
Talking about books and movies which have similarities with the Matrix, those who are interested should check out Ionesco's 'The Hermit' it deals with the subjects raised in the movie like; how do you know the world you are living is really real.

Korri
There is a programme on BBC2 tonight (for anyone who lives in UK) about Orwell's 1984

if anyone is interested..

ch0g0nda
The only problem with Equilibrium is how ungodly boring it is the second/third/etc. time through.

It just seems like the movie drags between fight scenes.

Verity
K! Thanx! wink

mors823
The Matrix, F 451, Equilibirum, 1984, and Brave New World all ahve one thing in common, Control. The Matrix itself is the ultimate form of control. I mean what better way to control your enemies than to put them in a fake world. In F 451, books are burned to control people (by firemen lol). In Equilibirum and BNW, people take drugs to rid themselves of emotion, a way of control. I haven't read 1984, but I heard its similar to the way Stalin ruled Russia (Big Brother is ALWAYS watching). Let me know if there are anyother books/movies that fit into this catagory of control.

ElBiUs
Equilibrium ruuuuuuulllllllllllleeeeeeeezzzzzzzz... http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/thumbup.gif

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/2guns.gif

JediHDM
1984 is my fav fictional book...Simulacra and Simulation would probably be my fav nonfiction/philosophy book...Matrix, fav movie series...

anyway, back on topic, both are great movies

The Omega
(Waits for verity to see Equilibrium and comment on it) smile

Ahnold
Hmmm - I say tomato, you say tomahto, I say loving homage, you say rip-off...

mailedbypostman
great trailer.*waits for few seconds*I GOTTA SEE IT!

Mordecai
I watched Equilibrium yesterday.
It was an awesome film, i loved it, the fighting/gun fight scenes are amazing.

I also love the concept and the atmosphere the movie has.

2 thumbs up. thumb up

Korri
did anyone watch BBC2 on saturday? (UK peepz)

mook
was that the 1984 thing - saw adverts for it...

Korri
yeah ( im not a geek b4 anyone starts...it was actually really good so pah!)

mook
yeah - a scary vision of the future - control, room 101 etc
links to the matrix nicely

Alias Neo
i did!

Korri
yeah room 101

mors823
Take a lok at these to pics. Are they eerly similar?

mors823
and this one....

Chapel
I think 1984 scares me even more than the Matrix, at least in the matrix you have the perception of being free.
In 1984 there rewriting history & language so the whole concept of freedom ceases to exist.

Korri
*drools*

mors823
Does anyone know where I can dl it. It's taking too long w/Kazaa and I really want to see it. Thanks for any help.

JediHDM
I didn't like the movie version of 1984, but i guess you could call me a purist, so that would be why...Equilibrium was a great movie, 1984, Brave New world, and Simulacra and Simulation are all great books...I need to read Animal Farm, Clockwork Orange, and a few more books...

The Omega
JediHDM> Ever read William Gibsons cyberpunk novels? Neuromancer is a must! Burning Chrome. Mona Lisa Overdrive (Yeah, the title of the music for the high-way chase was a tribute to Gibson big grin)

JediHDM
Omega> No, not yet, although those are now on my must read list as well...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.