Theories And Families

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

airangel429
READ BELOW...I FOUND THIS AT HP LEXICON.........

Who are Harry's family?
I know, his parents are Lily and James Potter. But we know very little about these people. Sure, we know that Lily is Petunia Dursley's sister, but that's about it. Here are some details to consider:

Lily has dark red hair. There's a lot of red hair in the books, actually. The most obvious ones are of course the Weasley family, and that's what we immediately think of. But they're not alone; in fact, I think they're something of a (forgive me) red herring. Besides Lily, there is one other major character whose hair is described as "auburn" and that's Dumbledore. Oh, not now, of course, but when he is encountered inside Tom Riddle's diary, when he's fifty years younger, he is mentioned as having auburn hair. So okay, is he maybe Lily's grandfather, Harry's great-grandfather?
If Dumbledore is Harry's great grandfather, it would make sense that he would have James' Invisiblilty Cloak. He could have ended up with a lot of James' things after they died, most likely, since he was a direct relative. And it would make even more sense that he would feel strongly compelled to give it back to the boy.
And then what about Tom Riddle's family? Might he be a relative of Harry's? He was named Tom after his father, whose name is also Tom Riddle, and Marvolo after his grandfather. Some folks have immediately jumped to the conclusion that Marvolo must be the elder Riddle who was also killed on that fateful evening fifty years ago. But wait, he's got another grandfather: his mother's father. His mother was a witch, after all, and let's face it, Marvolo certainly sounds like a wizarding name. So it makes sense to me that he's named after his grandfather on his mother's side. Who was...who? Could it be Dumbledore as well? What's Albus's middle name anyway?
Now remember all those people Harry saw in the Mirror of Erised. What happened to them all? Are they ALL dead? Did Voldemort kill them all, and if so, why? Was he trying to wipe out the family for some reason? I assume that the people Harry saw were from both sides of the family, although they are referred to as "the Potters." If not, then where are his family on his mother's side?
back to the top
When did Arthur and Molly attend Hogwarts?
Okay, now we're getting into nitpicky stuff. I don't suppose this has any bearing on things, but it bugs ME since I'm trying to create a complete time line and right now there are BIG holes in it. I have narrowed down the dates for James, Lily, Sirius, Snape, and that whole crowd to the 1970's, which works okay, but it surprises me that there are no more specific clues in any of the books. We know a lot more details about other characters, even relatively minor ones. Charlie Weasley, for example, left school seven years before Harry got there, so we can determine what years he was there, when he was born, and so on. But the James and Lily and their contemporaries are trickier to nail down, even though we are learning much about their exploits and adventures. So what? Well, I just get suspicious, that's all. If it seems like something's being left out or information is being withheld, I get curious.

And here's why this question gets to me. There is one niggling little comment in GF that suggests to me that--brace yourself--there just might be TWO time lines going on here. Molly Weasley fondly recalls a man named Ogg being the groundskeeper when she went to Hogwarts. Now she's older than Sirius and Lupin, granted, but not so much older that she would have gone to Hogwarts before Hagrid and Tom Riddle, which was fifty years ago. After Hagrid was expelled, however, he was given the groundskeeper position. How does this Ogg fellow fit into the picture then? Okay, this is very thin logic, since it assumes that the gamekeeper and the groundskeeper have always been one and the same person and it also assumes that Hagrid wasn't an assistant or anything for a while (which we know he was, but we don't know for how long). But perhaps, just perhaps, we're dealing more than one time line. Maybe Molly and Arthur remember one time line, a time line that Voldemort changed somehow (changing time is a major no-no for wizards, we learn in PA, but I don't think that would have stopped him). Maybe Harry's big task is going to be to fix the past (Harry's present) so the future turns out the way it should, not the way it did the first time around (when Voldemort survived and somehow maybe even won). I'm not sure what I just said, but you get the drift...

And probably the strongest evidence of some kind of time twisting going in is the comment on CS that Voldemort is the last remaining ANCESTOR of Slalzar Slytherin. Some editions of the books have this "error" corrected, but other later editions have the word "ancestor" put back in. JKR herself suggested that the word ancestor might be used intentionally in an online chat session. We'll just have to see what happens next...

Kristina
WOW!!!!

Well...good job! I think I have to take some time to think about it, I'm really overwhelmed!!
About the time line thing:
In another forum I read a theory that Voldemort is not an ancestor of Slytherin but he IS Salazar Slytherin. They presumed that Harry has not to kill Voldy but to put him back to the past so that he will be dead in the present. I thought it was a bit far fetched, but you mentioned some very good points that could prove it.
About Harry's family...well, I believe Voldy could be related to Lily (I reckon I already said that somewhere else). But I don't think he's related to Dumbledore ... I can't remember all the second names of Dumbledore but I'm quite sure that no name of hime is Marvollo. But talking about that...you said Dumbledore and the Weasleys have got red hair. But did you notice another second name of Dumbledore?! Percievalt (don't know how to spell it ;-) He's got the same name as Percy, eh?!

shaber
Dumbledore's middle names are given in the trial of Harry Potter in the depths of the Ministry of Magic. They do not include Marvolo. Lily is a mudblood!

Wizards live about twice as long as Muggles and seem to retain vigour well into old age. Molly could easily be about sixty or maybe even more.

jennyanderson
OK, here's my theory, the Weasley's, Evan's, Dumbledore's, Potter's and Black's are NOT related. See if they were related then James wouldn't have married Lily. I know that a lot of people are saying that James and Sirius might be related, but I don't think so, you see in the HP books it said, though very subtly, that the RICH pure bloods comes from a long line of medieval sorcerers, that is they were rich sorcerers, like 600 years ago. OK, so what kind of pure blood is James? Hmmm, lets see what happens when several boy and girl muggles comes to Hogwarts? They become witches and wizards, then what happens when 2 of them gets married and have children? I think their children will be called half-blood (I really have no idea, but they are not muggles thats for sure)? Now, what happens when they marry the child of their parents former muggle classmates (whose children also became witches and wizards)? Now, their children will definitely become pure bloods right? Because their parents and grandparents were witches and wizards, got that? So, I think James might be that kind of pure blood, and there are several other ways which non-pure blood witches and wizards can become pure bloods, yes, but NOT rich. Besides, they weren't in the Black family tree, and Sirius would'v told Harry whether they were related or not, since he seems to have a through idea about who his family dis-inherited in the past, of course being one himself. And, I think Dumbledore is half-blood, or a pure-blood like James, thats why his name wasn't on the Black family tree, because, we all know that Dumbledore is one of the greatest Wizards of modern time, and if his family was dis-inherited in the past, then they would'v been for sure added in that family tree again, yeah, they would'v come crawling back to him no matter what. Oh, and I really don't think that the Evans are related to any one who has a connection to wizard kind, see Dumbledore is an extremely wise man, and he wouldn't have left Harry with the Dursley's if he didn't have other relatives from his mothers side, no matter how far away they were in the blood link thing, because he knows that the Dursleys hates magics, and they would treat Harry like a vermin, is this how you treat the boy who got rid of your worst enemy? I don't think so.

airangel429
WELL WE KNOW THE WEASLEY'S AND THE BLACK'S ARE RELATED...IT SAID SO IN BOOK 5 big grin AND THE MALFOY'S TOO.....

I think.........(sorry for caps)

Antaraka
Yeah I think you're guessing to much. Because what you are saying is that there's an extra generation in there between vold, lily, dumbledore, ect ect ect to much to think. thats all.

jennyanderson
Ok, ok I made a mistake, sorry for that guys, the Blacks and the Weasley's are indeed related, but I stand FIRMLY by my other theories.

And Antaraka, whats your point? I'm sorry but I'm kinda confused about what your saying. My, theory happens to be a very logical one, if you can't understand it, then read it again please.

Luna150
I think you are wrong by saying that if dumbledore thought he had any other relitives how ever distant he would be sent to them because he is with his aunt because she has his mothers bood and while he is with her voldermort cant get him BUT i dont think he has any other relitives. I think james and harry were related. As siruis said all the pure blood families are related they could be like 16th cousins for all we know

jennyanderson
Duh, James and harry are related, they are father and son, you know, what were you thinking?

frootlooplucy
Luna150 probably meant Sirius, not Harry. Dont be so picky.

hotsauce6548
if james were related to sirius (and i dont think he is) and sirius is pureblood... harry would be related to ron and.. and... Malfoy! *shudders* messed

Luna150
Yea i did mean siruis. Your so smart smart
Any wayz it is very likely they are distently related. If james was pureblood they must be related but i cant find anything that says if he is or not. Harry is half blood so mabey that means he is pure blood one side and muggleborn other side Or maybe it could just be that his perants are both wizards but he isn't pure blood. Im not sure

Ariadne
I'm thinking that the Mark Evans mentioned in the beginning of OotP will be at Hogwarts next year, and that he will open up this whole new world of Harry's family, and maybe some new wizarding relitives? Although it wouldn't make sense for Harry to have been at the Dursleys' instead of with the potential relitives.

Kristina
It would make sense, Ariadne, remember what Dumbledore said about the blood cennection between Harry and Petunia. Harry has to live with the Dursleys because they offer him "blood protection" as Petunia is the sister of Harry's mother. The other relatives of Harry (in case they exist) might not offer him that protection, since they aren't such near relatives of Lily like Petunia.

airangel429
I agree. The Evans boy will bring in some new light to the whole generation thing. He most likely will be a cousin. AND we ARE supposed to find out something REALLY great about LILY in the next book. So it would make sense for us to find out she had a brother. OR a sister that never got married but had a child.

As for Sirius and James being related...I dont think that is very likely. BUT I think that if Harry and GINNY got married and had a child...well then that would tie Harry in with everyone else....if he isn't already from James' side.

accio_brain
1.) At least one of Lily and Petunia's parents was a squib. We know she was born of non-magical parents but aren't squibs muggles. Now some have argued that because Snape referred to Lily as a mudblood that she was Muggleborn. here are some thoughts on that: as stated by Hermoine in CS 'mudblood' is not a word used in civilized conversation, making it some kind of curse/derogotory word. Words like that don't often have strict rules about usage. So there may not be any regarding who can be called a mudblood. Muggle is a person of non magical abilities, not necessarily a non-magical family. Furthermore, in OotP, when Mrs. Figg was being questioned about the dementors, Fudge asked her if squibs could even see dementors hinting at the fact that to wizards, squibs might be considered muggles. Add this to the fact that the ministry does not have squibs registered. So I conclude that the Evans were squibs, is it really so difficult to imagine 2 squibs falling in love? squib parents also explains Petunia's knowledge of howlers and dementors. It is possible but improbable that she would remember a tidbit about dementors from people she tried to imagine did not even exist. her parents being squibs and having a witch in the family (lily) would make them happy and her sister jealous. Hermoine's parents accept their daughters role in the wizarding world but they don't come off as being as happy as Petunia's parents when lily got the letter.

2.) Mark Evans the 10 yr old from OotP I think will play a larger role in books 6 and 7, but I dont think that he is a child of a lost brother or sister of Lily and Petunia. But he is a wizard. there might be some connection between the two evanes but further back, like in grandfathers or greatgrandfathers. I am pretty sure a connection to dumbledore lies at this generational level. One reason is that in GoF, Voldemort states that "dumbledore envoked a strange magic, to ensure the boy's protection as long as he is in his relations' care". In SS/PS, Harry states that Quirrel will go for the stone when dumbledore is gone. harry is then put in danger because dumbledore leaves. anyone else see a connection between danger when dumbledore or petunia aren't around. If not here is another instance, in PS/SS quirrel jinxes Harry's broom, and Dumbledore was not there. At the world cup, harry is again in danger, (crouch jr.) and albus is again missing. then again in OotP dumbledore explicitly states that petunia is the last living relative of Lily. (OotP 37)

Some other theories.

3. House elfs will be given more rights.

4. luna and Harry will not get together, there is some attraction but mostly harry finds a person he can relate to in Luna. She is more Neville's type.

5. Malfoy will still be the nasty mudblood hater he is, until the middle or near end of book 7 where harry or hermoine will save his life and he will change. I see the books as ending with peace not any hatreds still going.

6. Grawp will play a larger role probably in book 6, saving hagrid or hermoines life.

7. dumbledore will die early in 7 or possibly late in 6. This is necessary because the prophecy states that Harry is the only one to kill voldemort. Dumbledore has to die for Harry to be angry enough to go and seek out voldemort.

8. wormtail will save harry's life and pay for it with his own, indirectly. He will save Harry's life and later voldemort will end his for his betrayal. Dumbledore in bk 3 states that harry will be advantaged by having wormtail in his debt. another instance is in bk 4, after voldemort has gotten his body and is speaking to his death eaters he tells wormtail that he is worthless and traitorous and not to betray him again. Though we know that wormtail is traitorous, to have voldemort say it makes me think that it is foreshadowing something.

airangel429
Good theories! big grin

I don't agree with Dumbledore being DIRECTLY related to Harry.....it is possible that somewhere down the line he is RELATED....but not a close relative.

AlgarRider
Dumbledore couldn't be directly related to harry, otherwise he could have just raised Harry, instead of sending him to petunia. Petunia has a bond w/ harry solely b/c she is his aunt, whereas d-dore would have the blood tie AND love, which plays a very important role. (Lily could invoke the old magic b/c of her love for Harry.) Also, is anyone else seeing a similarity between gollum and wormtail? Both are traitors, but in the end, gollum saves the world (and Frodo) b/c of his treachery. It seems something like that could happen. It's definetly possible that D-dore is related to the Weaselys, but I don't think it would play a very big role. Who is this Mark Evans that everyone keeps refering to? I don't remember any mention of him, and i don't have OotP so I can check.

accio_brain
Mark Evans is a 10 year old boy to whom Harry refers to in the beginning of the OotP. Mark is beaten up by dudley for calling him a pig. It is entirely possible that mark evans will play no role in 6 or 7 but the fact that harry mentions him as being 10 (1 year from hogwarts age) and the fact that his last name is evans. rowling usually places emphasis on names in the books, but the small mention of this boy could be just a coincidence. Good fodder for theories, though!

Joy2dWorld
speaking of theories.. a collection of them by mugglenet members helped uncover 2 out of the 3 sub-plots on the remaining books - per Galadriel Waters:

1. A 2nd COS monster

There's one more alive at the COS, said to be the "mate" of the one Harry killed - could be another basilisk or a "monkey-like" creature.

Connected theory is that Voldemort's hiding place is actually the COS - inside Hogwarts! that there's another entrance to the COS thru the lake - that's how Myrtle ended up in the lake coming from her toilet - the plumbing system leads to the COS.

2. Twin Mirrors

Another method of communication among wizards, said to act like a cross between the fireplace/floo network & the paintings - they always come in pairs, one connected to another one - like the "cracked" one in Myrtle's toilet w/c looks like the "cracked" one in Voldy's room, as seen by Harry in his "dreams"

Another suspected twin mirror - the one at the Room of Requirement where the DA members practiced - said to be owned by Moody - the twin could either be with Voldy - to spy on Harry, or with Dumbledore - to guard Harry.

Another theory suggests that Erised has a twin - one that shows your greatest fears.

and who can forget Sirius' hand-mirror - Harry's is broken, in his trunk - but where is Sirius'?

3. ? -Percy Wormtail connection- ?

3rd sub-plot suspected to be about Percy & Wormtail - where was Wormtail in book 5? Taking polyjuice potion and impersonating Percy - according to the peeps there!

what do you think about all this?

airangel429
its a possibility that he was impersonating percy......cuz i dont see him being against his family......then where is percy? locked up somewhere?

good theories

pixie1
1 and 2 i can belive but 3 i cant percy is an idiot of his own makeing and it would have suted him (wormtail ) better to stay with the weasleys they already have ministry spys but lord v has no ootp spy unless you count kreatcher a house elf who can say very little

airangel429
i do think wormtail has been impersonating SOMEONE...jsut not sure who...maybe mundagus

Alar
That is sum nice theory work babe. about harry's cracked mirror; if they come in pairs, and harry's is broken, surely the other 1 wont work? right?? but JK did leave that last bit about the mirror hangin, so we could find out anythin about these mirrors. i like the bits about the cracked mirror in the toilets and Voldy's room, very sneaky sneaky of her... teeny little hints.

Alar
come on!!!! dont let this thread slide. i like it keep it alive!!!

Remuslupin
I think that of course d-dore will die. I think along the lines, MArk Evans is related to lily, because lily's last name was Evans. Why didn't harry notice that before??? Well , I think Voldy and dumbledore are related and d-dore is voldy's uncle. Dumble dore will die to save harry, and the love mark is on harry again. Voldy tries to kill harry but the love cirse thingy finally kills him because it was the love of a powerful man. Also, Neville dies.

Joy2dWorld
Let's get cracking with more of the clues..

Voldy hatched the basilisk - how do you hatch a basilisk? book says a basilisk is a chicken's egg hatched under a toad.. we know Hagrid has chickens in the backyard of his hut - and - Neville's toad is always missing!

mating clues are probably just about the "2 by 2" theme - which just point to book 2 & the twin mirrors..

[Ms_dEaTh]
JOY TO THE WORLD. THE LORD IS COME...-

sorry... high on water. eek!

Aqua
^eek!

hhhhr
i don't think voldy hatched the basilisk:
a) it can live for a long time
b) the chamber was open 50 years ago
c) i think they mentioned that it was slyderine's basilisk

so yeah wink

accio_brain
very cool mirrors theory... i dont think there is another basilisk though. and why does neville have to die... i think he is one of the greatest characters, plus his parents are in st. mungo's if he dies that is the last of the longbottoms. as far as percy-wormtail... i dont think that wormtail is impersonating him... i think percy is just being dumb, but he will return to the family. He was placed in gryffindor for a reason. bravery. he will see the error of his ways and he is going to go back to the family but when its a bit late. wormtail is probably spying as a rat on some ministry people. he is going to help save harry's life in the end. he is in a life debt to harry.

pixie1
i cant wait to read percys grovling appologe

Alar
does evry1 really think that percy's under some spell? or dya think he's actin on his own? Would he really betray his family like that?

pixie1
he is a fool and want to be popular and well off he feals his dad gave him the wort start he is just rebelling against his parents but it is of his own choice

Alar
u think its a puberty thing?

pixie1
it could be

Alar
wot dya think bout the mirrors pixie?

pixie1
it make scence mirrors r every where so they would be a good spying tool .i think it is a good idea

Alar
roll eyes (sarcastic) hehe ur evrywhere i go!! cant escape!!!! ahhhhhhhhh

airangel429
^ eek!

SAtown_punk
Airangel, I think you are trying too hard to make this into something that it's not. Just take everything for face value. You are making the story more complicated than it already is.

airangel429
IF YOU HAVE NOTICED I HAVE NOT POSTED HERE IN AWHILE!!!! YOU MIGHT WANT TO READ EVERYONE ELSE'S COMMENTS BEFORE YOU BRING THIS TO MY ATTENTION!!!! THE LAST THING I POSTED WAS NOT IN WORDS!!

Alar
pixie - surly dumbledore'd know that mirrors could be used to spy on hogwarts, so there must be something preventing that, coz hogwarts is ultra-safe isnt it?

Joy2dWorld
yup airangel, SAtown punk must be referring to my post. i'm sorry about that wild idea about hatching the basilisk, but it was just a theory that i picked up from Galadriel Waters' theories board. i'm just so fascinated that some people could be so attentive to the details and every word in the book.

eezy45
laughing
Yay, AirAngel, but still you shouldnt shout...

airangel429
I know...I am sorry for speaking in my MEAN VOICE!! I have to sometimes with modding POTC forum! I'll try to be nicer.

I happen to like these theories though! big grin J2TW! So keep posint them! And Alar too! And everyone else!!! big grin

I too like to find out info that others find by FINELY reading the books and solving JKR's hidden puzzles! big grin

SAtown_punk
what hidden puzzles would you be speaking of? The only one that I can think of is that Sirius will be back.

shaber
'fraid JKR said otherwise sad

airangel429
NO...not as in real PUZZLES...but she writes alot of her stories that way....like the Whole Mark Evans thing and then I think the mirror will become more important later as well.

SAtown_punk
no..J.K. said Sirius was dead, which I am not refuting. She didn't say he won't be back, however.

What Mark Evans thing?

Alar
hehehe.... i was namechecked!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
laughing

airangel
bumping

Alar
Am well interested in Mark Evans, that shud be gud, i dnt hv the address wit me, but if ya go 2 JK's really official site, then she gives out really cryptic-y clues!!! thurr r spiders runnin cross tha page, so i thought follow tha spiders right? but they didnt go n e where....

airangel
laughing out loud

celestial_moon
it might have been coinidence. we havent heard of mark evans until book 5.

Alar
i hope its not coincidence blink i NEED

Alar
- it to not be a coincidence!!

soz bout the brake dunno wot happened..

airangel
CherryWings....you used to be Alar???? name change right?

CherryWings
righty smile yay. i am the mighty CHERRYWINGS and i have been released from the asylum!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.