Why The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is bad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

papabeard
I saw the new tcm and it was actually ok, i didnt like how they had changed it, there was no wheelchair guy. Also the fact that leather face had make up on the mask in the original and emmitted a high pitched giggle/scream, added to the twistedness(sic) , cos he was like the matriarch of the family, the family was also totally twisted in the original
, and in the sequel there was no real references to the cannibalism or interior design with body parts, which was the main motif in the original since like pyscho it was based on the actions of ed gein. The remake has nothing on the tension and terror of the original, although if it was a stand alone film i think it would have been ok

papabeard
I meant the remake not the original

Lord Soth
I thought it was okay too. I didn't like all the cheap scres (they scared me anyway, they were just cheap big grin)

Pirate_Girly
i loved it and eric balfour was hot lol

Lord Soth
who did he play?

BackFire
It was pretty lousy in all honesty, did not need to be made.

Evil Dead
If it's not broke don't fix it.............that's what I say.

Don't remake Jaws........don't remake Close Encounters of the Third Kind.......don't remake Psycho (we all saw how bad that turned out)......and don't remake TCM.

zombieman
I thought it was a great movie, i expected a half arsed remake with exactly the same scenes as the original. Instead it was a completely new movie with scenes as genuinly chilling and disturbing as the original had back in its day.

Pirate_Girly
Eric played Kemper =P
he was the first to die..which made me sad

Lord Soth
I see. I thought Kemper's death was hilarious

Voorhees
I thought the new Tcm was an awesome movie. I totally loved it

BackFire
The original, yes. The remake, no.

Voorhees
Well the Original was an awesome movie too. But i also enjoyed the new one aswell

Lord Soth
You can love the original as well as enjoy the remake

goo
have not seen it, but I will sunday

Jason420
the original was terrible to me i didnt like it but thats my opinion

Lord Soth
You are now BF's worst enemy big grin

BackFire
No, he's simply incorrect.

Lord Soth
Whichever big grin

I have not seen the original yet, can't pass judgment

BackFire
You really should, it's a masterpiece.

Lord Soth
From all your talk about it, I'm tempted big grin

mbeach
no more remakes

SlipknoT
WHAT!!! did you just say the original is bad, yeah the remake is'nt great, but the original is. Nothing can hold a candle to the original

Evil Dead
you are a moron. as bad as the original? The original is one of the best/most innovative horror movies ever made.

I wish stupid people would quit visiting this forum........

NOTE TO BACKFIRE: I know I called him a moron, which is against the forum rules..........Oh well, he is.

SlipknoT
your taliking to mbeach right?

SilverFighter
If you didn't like them Don't watch them!! Besides why bash the movie? You musta seen the first one, and didn't like it so, why did you watch the remake???

mbeach
all i im saying is that i don't think it was one of the best horror i have seen there are some good bits but its not brilliant

SilverFighter
Then that's YOUR opinion. Still don't bash it, may not be brilliant to your standards but the movie is based on a true story. Which makes it very original.

BackFire
Actually it is brilliant, the fact that when it made their had never been a horror movie like that before makes it brilliant. It was extremely innovative for future horror film makers and is respected by all of them. All of thise is factual, despite you disliking the original.

Michael Myers 1
Are you sure you saw The Texas Chainsaw Masacre becasue you ddint even spell it right

SlipknoT
neither did you mm1 lol

Michael Myers 1
yes i did

SlipknoT
No, you forgor an s in massacre

Jason420
new tcm is awsome the original is a piece of shit

Michael Myers 1
showoff

Jason420
60 year old lovin *****

SlipknoT
No, the original is much, much better. The remake isnt bad, but it's just a simple jump horror, The original had a realistic feel to it, and the remake just seemed like a regular movie

Jason420
yeah ill admit that but i just got into the remake more

BackFire
The original is one of the greatest horror films of all time.

Jason420
to you and everybody else but not me Happy Dance .......i hate it

Michael Myers 1
im gonna rent TCM or burn it online sooner or later and watch it with the lights on eek!

h0ck3yh0rr0r
have you seen the original? Jason420.
honestly. I rented it showed it to most of my friends and now they think its the greatest movie ever. Its one of the greatest horror movies ever.

amlap
i never really liked the TCM series all that much, because i always hoped they would get bloodier and horrible. (because when i think of a chainshaw, i think of lims flying)
the original was pretty cool, and the remake was pretty decent in my eyes, the only thing i give more credit for the remake is the scene with the guy playing the piano with his toes... that was def a awesome shot.
as for the wheelchair guy, im glad he wasnt in this one, i hated that ****er!

SlipknoT
franklin was his name

Cinemaddiction
Saw them both to get an opinion.

Like I said plenty of times before, the original "TCM" is overrated, and it was cool for it's time. Kids get lost in Backwoods, USA and run into a chainsaw wielding crossdresser? It was nothing but an attempt at "shocking" people. Little to no gore, no real plot, nothing. Something to send "Flower Power" backing for good, and usher in the 70's.

It may have been "innovative", but it lost alot of it's credibility after spawning numerous sequels that fell flat on their ass. So, it was cool for it's time, jumpy cinematography and all, and it will remain a cult classic. Yes, it set the bar for Redneck horror like "House of 1,000 Corpses" or the equally pathetic "Wrong Turn".

Evil Dead
Oooh.........Wrong Turn and House of 1000 Corpses were both terrible..........

Set the bar for those terrible movies? How about the much loved Halloween?.....or the A Nightmare on Elm Street?......or Friday the 13th?.....or any other slasher movie you can possibly think of. It didn't set the bar for just horrible movies like Wrong Turn and House of 1000 Corpses...........it set the bar for all slasher movies. Take a group of kids.....kill them off until one female remains.......throw her in danger from a weapon wielding madman.......to the tune of billions upon billions of dollars........all due to one little movie that started it all back in 1974.

Cinemaddiction
Well, it's influence on the "slasher" genre was never at question. What I said was more of a joke, and pointing out how a virtually "goreless" movie led to those movies.

It was more funny than scary, IMO.

Evil Dead
That is your opinion......I can respect that.

I actually like the absence of gore. Gore lowers the respect I can give to a movie immensly. Gore is the cheap way out........it is a substitute for plot. It is eye candy designed to hypnotize the audience into forgetting that the film they are watching has a weak plot. If you don't have a good plot.........you don't have a good movie, no matter how much eye candy they try to dazzle you with.

BackFire
As usual evil dead is correct.

tabby999
i cant help but like Evil Dead, can you....

Cinemaddiction
Baaa..baaa. Sheep, all of you.

TCM, by the very standards it supposedly set isn't a slasher film. No blood, no gore, no real plot, just teasing. What makes that a "slasher" flick, and not a psychological thriller?

My God, it's a horror movie. Since when it a plot ever important?

Evil Dead
That's the beauty of TCM.........it's a slasher movie.......and a psychological thriller. No other movie has been able to successfully combine both worlds since............

no real plot? you are just grasping at straws.........

I believe any movie in which a weapon weilding mad man relentlessly stalks people and kills them is considered to be a slasher movie. Freddy had a glove........Jason had a machete.......Mike Myers had a butcher knife.........Leatherface had a mallot/chainsaw. Your definitions of what makes a movie fall into the slasher genre is just silly. No gore? Who cares? It was a great movie without gore.........it didn't need to resort to such cheap tactics. It had a strong enough plot to stand on it's own two feet without adding in gore to make kids say, "oh..cool....look at that blood"..........

Michael Myers 1
we dont always need gore i mean sometimes it makes good horror movies. for example halloween and psycho

Cinemaddiction
Go rent "Peeping Tom". Made 12 years before TCM.

wicker_man
That is indeed a disturbing film.

Cinemaddiction
It's the original psychological thriller/"slasher" films. The only one that comes to mind, honestly.

Michael Myers 1
http://www.imagesjournal.com/issue08/reviews/peepingtom/pic9.jpg

is it about a killer camera?

h0ck3yh0rr0r
LOL^

Cinemaddiction
It's about a man who films his female victims as they are being killed by his own hands, helplessly. He was abused and tested as a kid by his demented father, which led him to be extremely disturbed. However, he still has a sane side which he presents most of the time. It's like if someone meshed "8mm" and "Hannibal".

It is said to have been banned in the U.S. for quite some time, because it was the 60's, and apparently it was too extreme.

amlap
this peeping tom movie sounds like a hot pick...

as for gore and slashers, the thing that i get from all this is that gore pretty much set the standards for slashers. i am a huge fan of gore, but thats just me...and i do agree that slashers do not need gore to be a good movie. but it never really hurts! finding a strong slasher story is not the easiest of things, i mean the whole idea of somone walking round killing people at random is a cheesy story.
TCM wasnt really a slasher per say. i think it only got that title after the second and third one came out... then it became a series.

as for TCM its self.the plot was bad. i agree that the shots were amazing and the concept was pretty cool. but if you watch it today it doesnt make that big of an impact, but then again this movie was made in the 70's which at that time it was amazing discovery. i respect what the movie did, and i find it very inspiring. but its not a slasher. just a good story made into a half decent movie.

BackFire
Peeping Tom is an outstanding picture.

tabby999
Friday the 13th was fairly restricted with its use of gore by a parental group up untill i think number 9, well i read that anyway, dunno how true it is

THE_DOOM666
Chain saw massacre i dont think i seen the remake or original im sure i saw original with the wheelchair car and his crooked laugh but That oen i watched must be original and in original it dont actually show him sawing up no one its just all disturbing like making ur mind think hes gonna do it but he dont saw anyone up it shows him closing the door on the room where the victum hangs on hook and thats it but the only gore part i saw was hands cookin and body parts at end because they all cannibals the family is but where does it show him sawing up people u know taking the head off and shit it doesnt Crap devil

Evil Dead
It doesn't. That is what's great about the movie. Instead of resorting to cheap gross out scares by showing Leatherface mutilating victims with a chainsaw........it merely suggests to the viewer the horrible acts he is about to do without actually showing it. A now very common staple of psychological horror films. The most violent thing you will see in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is victims being hit over the head with a small sledge hammer (mallot)..........a bump on the head, that's as bad as the violence gets. They don't even actually show Leatherface placing the girl on the hook.....it cuts away then shows her hanging there.

THE_DOOM666
oH it sucked it did'nt disturb me mentally at ALL maybe it affected ur brain though Lmfao hahhaa

THE_DOOM666
laughing out loud devil laughing out loud Your Merely Pathetic laughing

Evil Dead
ooh, clever. Don't be surprised if you are banned........you just violated two major rules, spamming and flaming. Good day to you kiddo.

THE_DOOM666
i did'nt spam it was just merely a thing for you to know about your self and your the flaming one for making typos like u do anyhow, and ur a boring type person who likes gabbage such as EVILDEAD anyhow big grin

SlipknoT
whats gabbage, and doom if your trying to make enemies, I wouldnt suggest makeing one with evil dead

Evil Dead
bah.....let's drop it. The abuse has been reported and I have full confidence in our moderator that some sort of action will take place. I am no longer even replying to his spam/flame posts.

Let's get back on topic and salvage this thread.........

"what's garbage" ----SlipknoT

Good question........what is garbage about it Doom666, please elaborate.

BackFire
Alright, I've taken care of DOOM666, lets get back on topic everyone.

Evil Dead
back to what we were talking about, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre owns......true story.

BackFire
I second that.

SlipknoT
I third that.

tabby999
i do the one thats after thirding that

Asami
Just my opinion but the remake was really boring

Cinemaddiction
I liked it better than the original. I've even considered buying it when it's out. Not so much to spite people who think the original is so great, but because I think it was spookier.

botankus
The remake of TCM cannot be "spookier" because the best part of the original (in your 1st viewing of it) is you don't know what the hell's going to happen - that's what makes it so intense. Given that statement and the fact that someone has seen the original before the remake, it is impossible for the remake to be spookier.

<edit> But of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you're more spooked by the remake, hey, more power to ya.

botankus
And the winner for run-on sentence of the year goes to....

DeNiro
I still havent seen the remake i have no desire to see it really

Metroplex
The movie wasn't base n a true story. Only leatherface was based on a real serial killer that cut off women's heads and placed it in jars. The whole cannibal family thing is fake.

Cinemaddiction
Well, aside from thanking you for proving my point, allow me to add this.

There were, of course, some "revisions" to the movie, that indeed make it spookier, more appealing to me anyway. Especially the distressed female hitchiker and the suicide. Shook things up, did it not?

botankus
Again, how can it be spookier if you know what's going to happen? That was the thing with TCM, was it not? Watching it over and over (the original) makes you remember just how intense it was the first time you watched it. It is by no means a "jump" film, so the intensity is what scares the hell out of you.

Maybe you have a different definition of "spooky" than I do.

Cinemaddiction
Alright, shocking, not spooky. I could only tolerate watching the original twice, so maybe I'm not gathering all the seemingly obvious correlations /similarities between the two.

BackFire
It was certainly more typical and generic then the original. It was just like every other modern horror film, relying soley on 'jump scares' to simply startle the audience, rather then forcing a deep, psycological disturbance, as the original is so famous for.

BackFire
I saw nother special about those two scenes. Just simple and typical ways of adding spookiness for non-horror fans.

BackFire
Finally, there isn't much in common with the two films. The "remake" is not a remake, it is very very different from the original. The only similarity is that there is a character named Leatherface, and he uses and chainsaw to kill his victims. There were a few scenes stolen from the original to try to remind us that this was supposed to indeed be a remake, but they were'nt nearly as effective or genuine as they were in the original. (The guy getting hung on the meat hook for example).

Anyways, I didn't hate the remake, but I saw nothing special about it. Seemed like every other horror movie these days. Where as the original is just that...original, it is one of the most original, provokotive, and simply best horror films ever made.

badkittykitty
I'm in the middle of watching this right now and I can't stand it...I loved the original and i didn't expect it to be like it but its really really lousy as a stand alone film yuck...I'll go finish watching it just to say I watched it

BackFire
Yeah, I think seeing it on a big screen, where the noises are really loud and the images are huge made it alot better for alot of people. Most people who liked it in the theater seem to find themselves a bit bored of it while watching it on the small screen.

I myself didn't think to much of it on the big screen, so I won't bother watching it on the small screen.

leatherface12
I didnt really like the remake at all. But the original kicked ass. That is one of the best horror movies out there.

wuTa
yea i agree.... i saw the remake last night....i didnt feel it...the only thing that got me to say holy shit!..was the suicide scene..and i think everyone said that after she pulled out the gun

SlipknoT
If you didnt like the remake then why is there a picture of the leatherface from the remake in you sig and av?

BackFire
It's a cool picture regardless.

leatherface12
Because I dont know how to make sigs and spookey made it for me so I took it. I am not going to tell her to make a whole new sig after she made this one. But this leatherface looks cool its just the movie of the remake I didnt like. I liked the characters but not the movie.

badkittykitty
yeah the costumes were cool but I really didn't end up liking it....I liked the girl running over the bastard cop but she should have left the baby stick out tongue

@F1
I saw the re-make today and thought it was pretty good.
Disturbing it was, it was so long ago when i saw the original but i remember it had the same effect maybe worse because i was younger.
The ending was slightly different.
I wonder if they had shot it in black and white like the beginning and the end, if it would of had more of an impact. Did they ever capture Leatherface, at the end of the movie it say these are theonly known pictures, of Serial Killer. I aslo hear this never really happend, like this.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.