Prince of Persia

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
this looks like a great game. just wondering will it be out for PC?

total metalhead
its the best game ive played in a long time, but im pretty sure its console only

Tex
Given the commercials it looks quite appealing! thumb up

SilverFighter
^ Yes it is, Ubisoft made TC Splitter Cell and they struck another master piece with this one. Rent it and you will want to own it!!

I rate it 5 out of 5

Ushgarak
Yup, it will come onto the PC.

I remember the original well...

Fire
the original 2D game was hilarious, so mofo hard back then, so mofo easy now

SilverFighter
Wow I finish the game (Xbox version) yesterday and I LOOOOVE IT!!!!!!!! The ending was cool and the storyline is good!!!! When I finish the game I unlock the original Prince of Persia and now I'm almost about to unlock Prince of Persia 2!!!!!!!! I think the PC version has those lock too. Anyways this game is great and is worth buying it!!!!!

Lag
The engine is so amazingly simple that it's brilliant. I love this game.

ragesRemorse
im still playing the original for genesis. i can't seem to get past the last stage. oh fragel nuts

Lag
hahaha Fragel nuts....I never thought about it, but I guess they could have nuts.

Ushgarak
Literally speaking if on the Genesis it is not the original, that was a modified version. PC and Amiga had the original (before they started decking the Prince out in Persian gear in the console versions, having forgotten that in the plotline he's not Persian!)

The new game has a different continuity of course.

tptmanno1
Ush, ur showing your age again!
maybe a buy, but I don't really like those adventure type games, it looked cool though

ragesRemorse
actually i think USH is just showing his fetish for detail

Voorhees
I LOVED prince or persia. I have it for ps2 and finished it. but for some reason i cannot unlock the original one when i finish the game.

yeah sounds cool, now i wanna buy it since everyone seems to love it so much..wohoo xbox!

yerssot
*doesn't want to say he played the original game a long time ago too* messed

BloodSin
I have the PS2 version, too. Definitely one of the best games I've bought in a very long time. In all honesty, I think I've played through it about 20 times in the last month.

SilverFighter
Well, I finish PoP 1 and 2 and it was tough, (brought back a lot of memories) I think I'm getting addicted to this game cuz I finish the sands of time at least 4 times already. It was worth getting it last November. thumb up

hotsauce6548
i dont like it very much... it was OK... no expression

SaTsuJiN
Prince of persia is great. Its the most refreshing platformer I've played since mario 64. At least pay homage with a rental stick out tongue

P.S. I do hope you're talking about "Sands of time" cuz the ones before sucked hard

Morridini
After having loved the original PoP since I first played it on the SNES I finally got around to picking up my second PoP game, the Sands of Time for the PC.

I must say so far I'm loving this game, it's Assassin's Creed and Timeshift put together, with a very interesting plot, and a terrible terrible camera system.

Definitely will have to take a closer look to the other games released after Sands of Time.

Note: I did take a search, found numerous PoP threads, but many dedicated to the different games, so I resurrected this original thread with just a general PoP title.

DigiMark007
Yeah, there's separate threads for WW and TT. But this works.

Good series. I like 3rd-person camera views. 1st-person generally annoys me because there's less that the character can do.

Neo Darkhalen
and it becomes hard to take notice of your surroundings in 1st Person view.

Morridini
Yeah 3rd person is definitely the way to go, my problems with the camera on the PC version is that it suddenly changes angle at times, and movement is dependent on the angle of the camera. Pressing W moves you forward compared to the camera, not to the Prince, so some hard jumps etc gets almost impossible because of changing camera angles.

General Kaliero
Since it's more proper to continue in here...

Originally posted by DigiMark007
They all had good level design and platforming. Which one is the best is largely opinion.
Speaking as a game design student... Not really. It's not something extremely noticable unless you're actually thinking about how to design a level, but it is there. All three games have excellent design, but WW's puzzles and their integration into the environment simply surpass those in SoT.

Please note I am not bashing any game here; in fact I prefer SoT to WW. But WW is technically the better-built game.

I played T2T after SoT, but before WW, so I got the same feeling. Plus the stealth kills made it possible to largely avoid combat, which was a godsend for me because I loved SoT for the puzzles.

Really, the only thing T2T is not the best in is terms of story. SoT's story is what I consider a model for perfection in storytelling. And introductory section, quick set-up of the main plot, main part of the game with a constant, solid feeling of progression (the Prince's shirt also acts as a perfect indicator of story progression), the false climax and twist, the final stretch, the true climax, and then a denouement that not only caps the story, but brings it full circle to the beginning.

T2T cannot achieve that same element of perfection in itself, because it is the final chapter that elevates the entire trilogy to that full circle state. But it succeeds in closing the trilogy perfectly.

DigiMark007
Camera control is always tricky, but most games can pull it off. The Tony Hawk games, Spider-Man series, Assassin's Creed, etc. all pull it off admirably. PoP is mixed, but I generally didn't notice it much....especially the later games.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by General Kaliero

Speaking as a game design student...

What a coincidence, I am going to do that in a few days.

As for puzzles, thats what I loved about SOT it had great puzzles and like any film or game the final in that arc is always closer so it can either be done well or badly, compered to the middle game where you can take the plot where ever you want, as for the first that is always an introduction game in a sense i guess.

ragesRemorse
sands of time was one of the most fun and unique gaming experiences i ever had. The game seemed to succeed on the epic adventure aspect where many before failed. Sands of Time also offered a fresh backdrop for the time. The Combat was engaging enough to break up the puzzles without being a chore.

Unfortunately, Sands of Time was the only game in the series worth playing, to me. The second game explored a tone and storyline geared more, primarily towards the younger audience. The controls may not have been different, but the camera, music and tone made it feel like a completely different franchise. Although Two Thrones made a departure from the style used in Warrior Within. It was to little to late for me. The epic boss battle's, and chase scenes were not engaging. I did not feel like i was playing during these sequences. The Story felt like a bad sequel. I will say, however, the game did play more smoothly, but the game just didnt do anything for me.

DigiMark007

Speaking as a game design student... Not really. It's not something extremely noticable unless you're actually thinking about how to design a level, but it is there. All three games have excellent design, but WW's puzzles and their integration into the environment simply surpass those in SoT.

Please note I am not bashing any game here; in fact I prefer SoT to WW. But WW is technically the better-built game.

Well sh*t. I'm not going to attempt to argue with that.

stick out tongue

I played T2T after SoT, but before WW, so I got the same feeling. Plus the stealth kills made it possible to largely avoid combat, which was a godsend for me because I loved SoT for the puzzles.

Really, the only thing T2T is not the best in is terms of story. SoT's story is what I consider a model for perfection in storytelling. And introductory section, quick set-up of the main plot, main part of the game with a constant, solid feeling of progression (the Prince's shirt also acts as a perfect indicator of story progression), the false climax and twist, the final stretch, the true climax, and then a denouement that not only caps the story, but brings it full circle to the beginning.

T2T cannot achieve that same element of perfection in itself, because it is the final chapter that elevates the entire trilogy to that full circle state. But it succeeds in closing the trilogy perfectly.

thumb up

Agreed. Though I'll stand by SoT for platforming, but won't mount a formal rebuttal since you'd likely hand me my ass. But I enjoyed WW the best overall for reasons stated earlier. SoT didn't have combat down yet, and TT was good but basically more of the same from WW. There was also that one psychotic boss fight with the ring of fire and those 2 dudes (axe and sword I think). WAY too hard. Maybe I just sucked at it...but it took me something like 30 tries. That's too much for anyone, let alone a veteran gamer.

General Kaliero
SoT didn't have combat down yet, and TT was good but basically more of the same from WW. There was also that one psychotic boss fight with the ring of fire and those 2 dudes (axe and sword I think). WAY too hard. Maybe I just sucked at it...but it took me something like 30 tries. That's too much for anyone, let alone a veteran gamer.
I can understand why T2T would feel like just more WW, but luckily for me I got T2T first.

And completely agreed on those guys. Not to mention you fight them right after "guiding" that beast through the city, so I rarely ended up fighting them with full sand tanks. That alone made the battle much harder.

DigiMark007
I can understand why T2T would feel like just more WW, but luckily for me I got T2T first.

And completely agreed on those guys. Not to mention you fight them right after "guiding" that beast through the city, so I rarely ended up fighting them with full sand tanks. That alone made the battle much harder.

Yeah, had I played TT first I likely would've enjoyed it more than WW.

I hope they continue the series sometime in the future. They could do even more with the new generation of consoles (I played mine on Gamecube).

Peach
Yeah, had I played TT first I likely would've enjoyed it more than WW.

I hope they continue the series sometime in the future. They could do even more with the new generation of consoles (I played mine on Gamecube).

They're supposed to be making a fourth game big grin

Neo Darkhalen

The sand monsters annoyed me in POP to no end, just because they kept appearing and appearing, and appearing.

Morridini
Here's the first look at the new Prince: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33651.html?type=mov
Just a sketch, but still looking cool.

High Priest
Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!

Morridini
New trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36271.html

I must say I like the art/graphics in this game.

MadMel
nice!
especailly liking the teamwork attack combos they're pulling off big grin

Morridini
During the summer my computer crashed and I lost all my info, and before that I never got around to finishing Sands of Time. I would love to complete the game, but don't have time to replay the entire game. Thus I'm wondering if anyone here have the game installed and have some savefiles for the early 90 % completion, as I was about 92% done. If anyone have it would you be so kind as to send me it so I could continue? It doesn't have to be 92% done, just not more then 92.

(Was a bit unsure if I am even allowed to ask for this, if not, pardon me in advance).

Morridini
Sorry for 2x-post.

IGN review: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/934/934014p1.html

IGN video review: http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/890664/prince-of-persia-next-gen/videos/PoP_Review_112508.html

Sounds pretty great, the game not being hard might not sound too great. But I doubt I will care, I will just enjoy the ride.

And I'm happy to see another game removing "death", which has gotten more and more pointless as time goes by.

Bicnarok
The first was the best imo, brilliant side scroller.#

The new ones are all video sequences and eye candy.

Morridini
Video sqeuences?

Have you ever played the Sands trilogy?

Peach
I'd guess not, if that's his opinion of it.

Peach
That video review had made me so insanely impatient for Wednesday. Good thing I'm not working that day so I can play.

And 9.3 from IGN. Nice.

Alpha Centauri

jaden101
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
(The only media item seemingly retaining their massive prices)
-AC

if by that you mean in relation to music and DVD's then keep in mind that a large portion of music profits is made from tours and with films in the cinema...games don't really have another method of generating money...and development costs are ever increasing...as much as i think, in the UK anyway, the gamers in Europe gets a raw deal in relation to the Japanese and US markets...i think to keep the price of games relatively steady for the last 10 years has been quite a feat.

Peach
I hardly ever buy games (especially not new ones), but I certainly understand why they cost what they do. They're not cheap to make.

This is one of the few that seems like it's worth paying full price for.

Though, in the review, I can't understand why they seemed so hung up on the Prince being a jerk. He's always been a jerk. The entire point of the Sands trilogy was that he was an arrogant egotistical ass who massively ****ed up and was trying to deal with and fix the mess he created. The Prince being a jerk is kind of required.

Bicnarok

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Peach
I hardly ever buy games (especially not new ones), but I certainly understand why they cost what they do. They're not cheap to make.

This is one of the few that seems like it's worth paying full price for.

Though, in the review, I can't understand why they seemed so hung up on the Prince being a jerk. He's always been a jerk. The entire point of the Sands trilogy was that he was an arrogant egotistical ass who massively ****ed up and was trying to deal with and fix the mess he created. The Prince being a jerk is kind of required.

It's nice to play as an arrogant jerk, makes a change from countless good true of heart heroes games keep throwing at us, i really can't understand why they'd use that in a negative aspect...guess there just grasping at straws.

General Kaliero
Really, when your worst complaint is that the main character has a realistic, human flaw...

WrathfulDwarf
I honestly hope PoP has distance himself from Warrior within and two thrones. This is a rental for now. If I like it....might buy it.

Neo Darkhalen
Really, when your worst complaint is that the main character has a realistic, human flaw...

Like i said grasping at straws.

Peach
Man, I am so in love with this game.

Though I'm having slight issues in that the X button on my controller tends to stick ermm probably doesn't help much...

General Kaliero
I don't get the people who were saying that the Prince and Elika don't really connect. They do. It's just all in voluntary scenes.

The two of them playing I Spy was hilarious, and really showed a lot of character for both. I think the interaction and clashing of the personalities might be my favorite part of the game, thus far.

Also, the first random path I chose led to the Concubine. I've met her and the Warrior. Cool stuff.

I also like how the areas are designed so that you really won't be able to finish off any Guardian until a decent way into the game.

Peach
I'm seriously having such a great time with this game. The Prince and Elika just bounce off of each other, personality-wise, perfectly. I'm forever cracking up at the little exchanges the two have.

So far I've also met the Concubine and the Warrior...the Warrior is a bit annoying but I'm thinking it's more because of what I mentioned above, where my X button will stick a bit. The Concubine isn't difficult to deal with but damn she's a b!tch when taunting the Prince and Elika laughing out loud

Just...seriously...this game is excellent. I've healed 4 areas so far, and I think there's something like 24 different areas to heal. I've played about 5 hours. Obviously I am not speeding through it - I make a lot of mistakes in timing things, figuring out which direction to go, and I'm trying to collect as many light seeds as I can - since it's definitely possible to be halfway through the game with this much playtime, but damnit, I am enjoying this game. It's great.

Nactous
I hardly ever buy games (especially not new ones),
Just check them out then?

Peach
Not even that. Just this past year there's not been much I want to play.

Anyway, defeated the Warrior, defeated the Concubine, beat up the Hunter a bit, and the Alchemist is really annoying. I have all four powers, I didn't see the plot twist involving Elika coming, and I've probably put about 12 hours into this game so far? I'm nearly finished with it. And I love it so.

Peach
Just finished the game, and yeah. They'll definitely be making at least one more. Personally I'm hoping that Ubisoft keeps up their habit of making trilogies. But the ending was so set up for a sequel and I really can't wait to see how that will go.

The game was awesomely amazing, I don't think I've ever beaten a game this quickly, and it's been a few years since I've been so drawn into a game that I put this many hours in it in such a short period of time.

I finished with 778 light seeds, so I'll have to go back and finish collecting those. I'll probably do a second playthrough to pick up some achievements that I missed, and just mess around with things.

NonSensi-Klown
No, Lana.

@stroFan
Got this from gamefly today, played for maybe 20-30 minutes, and I GOT LIKE 7 ACHIEVEMENTS! I didnt even do anything. laughing out loud

The game is fun so far, and the art style is simply amazing.

Peach
You do get a lot of quick 10 point achievements right at the start, yeah stick out tongue

Estacado
Completed it.
It was a fun game ,nothing special...

Dark Exile
This was based off some Arabic writing wasn't it?

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Dark Exile
This was based off some Arabic writing wasn't it?
Certain elements are related to Persian mythic themes, yes. Ormazd is a transliteration of Ahura Mazda, Zoroastrianism's highest deity, and Ahriman is based off of the Zoroastrian concept of Angra Mainyu, or "destructive spirit."

But the tale itself, with Elika and the Light Seeds, is original.

Dark Exile
Talk about sticking to your roots then.....

General Kaliero
What better sources for a Persian fantasy than Persian myth?

Dark Exile
Very true. I'm going back to Blockbuster to return Tropic Thunder and was wondering about checking out a game, could this be the one?

General Kaliero
I would definitely suggest trying PoP.

Dark Exile
Will do, thanks.

Neo Darkhalen
Well PoP came in the mail for me today.

Peach
My little sister is playing it now. She's having a bit of trouble hitting buttons at the right time, but she is only seven years old and generally plays Mario, Sonic, and Kirby stick out tongue She's still having a lot of fun with it, even though I have to help her a lot.

jaden101
I just got this on the cheap from play.com (quite a few good bargains at the moment if anyone in the UK is interested)

I like it. It's a bit repetitive but visually it's very unique. Having fun with it so far anyway and it's certainly boosting my gamer score because there's lots of achievements to unlock.

Smasandian
It is a bit repetitive.

But fun none less.

First_Tsurugi06
As far as being repetetive is concerned, it didn't suffer nearly as badly from it as Assassin's Creed (hell, not even No More Heroes for the matter).

Peach
It's no more repetitive than...just about every other game that exists.

BackFire
I got this for Christmas, looking forward to playing it. Hopefully it's not a shitfest like Assassin's Creed.

jaden101
It's no more repetitive than...just about every other game that exists.

It is really though...the entire game revolves around a tiny handful of different moves just done in a different order

wall runs
use hoops, vines, pillars and swing poles to get from place to place
occasionally fall and get saved by Elika
occasionally use power plate
fight a boss...save a fertile ground.

repeat process in different place

you fight maybe one non boss bad guy per level and defeat him the same way every time.

I'll tell you what it does do though. It gives you an idea of the scale that a Zelda game can have if done on ps3 or 360....because some of the landscapes are amazing.

Smasandian
You forgot going back through the level and get life balls. Or whatever they are called.

Its a fun game no doubt, but I do wish they changed up the moves you use.

Peach
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/29/prince-of-persia-epilogue-dlc-coming-to-360-ps3-on-feb-26/

Awesome. Can't wait for that.

BackFire
Game has some beautiful graphics and art and animations, but it got old fast. Agree with Jaden, it is repetitive. Battles are all the same, progressing through the levels seems to be more or less the same, same moves and so on.

I like how they made the storyline more or less optional, you can go deep by spamming the talk button or you can bypass it altogether.

Morridini
I got this game for my birthday and just completed it.

I reallyenjoyed the game, a passable story, amazing graphics and jawdropping animations, especialy in some of the longer combos. I can however see whree the complainst come from, the game was kinda too easy, especialy the acrobatics. This was the only game I've played where I could play for any lenght of time with one hand.

As for replayability, I've seen everything, gotten the whole story, but I dont doubt I one day down the line would liek to return to just experience the combat and acrobatics again. Most games however have Achievments I might return to the game for, however I now got 1000/1000 Gamerscore after only one playthrough, which is something else I've never seen before.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Morridini
I got this game for my birthday and just completed it.

I reallyenjoyed the game, a passable story, amazing graphics and jawdropping animations, especialy in some of the longer combos. I can however see whree the complainst come from, the game was kinda too easy, especialy the acrobatics. This was the only game I've played where I could play for any lenght of time with one hand.

As for replayability, I've seen everything, gotten the whole story, but I dont doubt I one day down the line would liek to return to just experience the combat and acrobatics again. Most games however have Achievments I might return to the game for, however I now got 1000/1000 Gamerscore after only one playthrough, which is something else I've never seen before.

I've seen many people with 1000/1000g on Prince of Persia, it's not hard to get on one playthrough, their's a glitch as well that helps get a few of them.

I have 1140g on Prince of Persia but I also have the epilogue pack.

It's a fun game, not as good as sands of time, the puzzles are simplistic it's fairly linear and the combat is god awful, however I find the visuals and character development to be something that keeps on drawing me back.

Ushgarak
In many ways the combat system would be rather good, relying as it does on visual cues and timing that worksd better than many similar attempts I have seen.

The problem is, is that it is completely pointless. You can't lose, there's no stake, there's no reward for being any good at it. Just hammer one button repeatedly and you will eventually win, and it takes barely more effort than that to win quickly. Which makes 90% of the system redundant.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Ushgarak
In many ways the combat system would be rather good, relying as it does on visual cues and timing that worksd better than many similar attempts I have seen.

The problem is, is that it is completely pointless. You can't lose, there's no stake, there's no reward for being any good at it. Just hammer one button repeatedly and you will eventually win, and it takes barely more effort than that to win quickly. Which makes 90% of the system redundant.

Also the fact it tells you when to block ruins any of that own independent work, if you know what I mean, it's like the game is telling you how to beat your opponent without letting you figure out your own way, also I tend not to block as blocking leads to the enemy just restlessly spamming it's attack until you reach the edge of the arena and then you have to spam the x button repeatedly. Also most of the time in order to hit your opponent you have to use Elika to "break" them as it were they always seem to dodge the sword attacks.

Oh and I miss the old Sands of time Princes acrobatic skills that linked into a seamless flow of combat so you jump from a wall slice down an opponent the somersault backwards and lunge thrust for the final blow, it hardly seems like you can do that much with the new Prince.

Ushgarak
SoT had enough problems with its own in combat. It was easy to rebound off a wall into an instant death drop.

In the version I played it only queued me when to block when somethign new was happening (like a new immunity), else I had to watch what was going on.

First_Tsurugi06
I found the Sands of Time trilogy's combat to be grossly overrated. At it's best, it was just a shallower version of what DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden perfected to the highet degree. Enemies died far too quickly to even bother using the larger combos on, the platforming within the combat was just short of useless, and the speeed kills in TTT were some of the weakest QTEs I had ever come across that generation, not to mention that they kind of killed the point of "free-form combat" what with the only enemies in the game being primarily subject to speed kills. This PoP takes a drastically differnt take on combat, but executes it to a much higher degree. If anything, it's more free-form than the SoT trilogy, with QTEs that are actually worth pulling off, combos that are not only more original but more visceral, versatile, and satisfying, and it's only flaw is that there just wasn't much of it.

I won't go into specifics of how much I find this game trounces the SoT trilogy in platforming. I'll also say that I hope the Prince in this one isn't degraded across sequels the same way SoT Prince was from a relatively original, somewhat naive and snarky character, to a pissy-type emo and then inexplicably to a pussy-type emo.

Ushgarak
The Prince in this one is mainly a bunch of snarky teenaged one-liners though. No great shakes compared to the SoT Prince.

Darth Exodus
Nah, the New Prince actually philosophises and has great conversations in this one. Old Prince has about two sentences per sequence or convo.

New Prince is a much more interesting character than Old P.

Ushgarak
I don't really call that meandering nonsense 'philosophising' myself.
Meanwhile, in Sands of Time there was a very regular monologue sequence from the prince that was constantly amusing (conspicuously absent fronm the two sequels).

The new Prince really is just a mish-mash of cliche.

Nactous
Originally posted by Darth Exodus

New Prince is a much more interesting character than Old P.

Absolutely incorrect. Going for the cliche' mysterious past does not make someone interesting. I think I might actually agree with Ush this time...

Peach
SoT had enough problems with its own in combat. It was easy to rebound off a wall into an instant death drop.

In the version I played it only queued me when to block when somethign new was happening (like a new immunity), else I had to watch what was going on.

In Sands of Time itself I could never get the damn wall rebound move timed right (and the rare times I did do it, the bad guys had moved away. Bastards). Now, in WW and Two Thrones...I was accidentally diving off of ledges all the time without even trying to do that stupid move.

And I found the combat annoying but it was mostly because of one of the buttons on my 360 controller sticking. Trying to fight the Warrior when the X button won't respond half the time...yeah. That was rather frustrating.

I like the old Prince better, but I still liked this one a lot. And I'd probably say that I like Elika more than I did Farah...though I'd be biased, because they totally copied me there and Elika is basically Mei stick out tongue

Nactous

I like the old Prince better,

Well I'm glad there is something we can agree about. smile

Neo Darkhalen
In Sands of Time itself I could never get the damn wall rebound move timed right (and the rare times I did do it, the bad guys had moved away. Bastards). Now, in WW and Two Thrones...I was accidentally diving off of ledges all the time without even trying to do that stupid move.

And I found the combat annoying but it was mostly because of one of the buttons on my 360 controller sticking. Trying to fight the Warrior when the X button won't respond half the time...yeah. That was rather frustrating.

I like the old Prince better, but I still liked this one a lot. And I'd probably say that I like Elika more than I did Farah...though I'd be biased, because they totally copied me there and Elika is basically Mei stick out tongue

I do like Elika more then Farah, and I also like SoT prince more then this new one, thank god you can change the Prince's skin to that of SoT's version. The new Prince feels much better when he's in alternate skins.

Zack Fair
Just started playing this game and I love it. As creepy as it may sound I fear I may be developing a crush on Elika.

She's awesome. The Prince is a jerk but I like playing as a jerk rofl.

BackFire
The game was beautiful to look at, brilliant art design and all that, but I had trouble getting into it. Should give it another try.

First_Tsurugi06
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Just started playing this game and I love it. As creepy as it may sound I fear I may be developing a crush on Elika.

She's awesome. The Prince is a jerk but I like playing as a jerk rofl.

She's...cute no expression

Eh, I'd rather play as a jerk with a rationally philosophical outlook on life than a tastelessly generic tough-guy turned painfully generic emo, which was the biggest fault with SoT Prince's characterization as per the sequels. That, and to go off topic, I could care less about accents or lack thereof when the voice acting is downright superior as is the case with this game compared to subsequent SoT games; you cannot tell me that Kaileena doesn't sound like a generic Night Elf in The Two Thrones. That's not to say that SoT Prince's voice overs Yuri Lowenthal and Robin Atkin Downes are bad VAs at all, they're plenty good--Nolan North is just top-tier imho, if underused.

General Kaliero
Really, the Prince was excellent in SoT. He was nearly as good in T2T, especially with the Dark Prince for dialogue. It was only in WW that his characterization faltered.

That said, I prefer this Prince. His carefree attitude belies a deep personal sense of honor and right that you discover if you spend enough time listening to the game's excellent dialogues.

Zack Fair
I like talking to Elika.

First_Tsurugi06
Really, the Prince was excellent in SoT. He was nearly as good in T2T, especially with the Dark Prince for dialogue. It was only in WW that his characterization faltered.

That said, I prefer this Prince. His carefree attitude belies a deep personal sense of honor and right that you discover if you spend enough time listening to the game's excellent dialogues.

The Dark Prince was a hindrance imho. Even the concept that involves how he transforms is practically undeveloped to the point that the second persona talking inside him was a pointless move; the Prince maintaining his sense of self kinda destroys the point of a second personality taking him over. It ends up just making it seem like a really severe case of scizophrenia. Not to mention the form looked friggin' stupid.

The best thing to come out of the Dark Prince was "Blue? That's not my favorite color..."

I don't really call that meandering nonsense 'philosophising' myself.
Meanwhile, in Sands of Time there was a very regular monologue sequence from the prince that was constantly amusing (conspicuously absent fronm the two sequels).

The new Prince really is just a mish-mash of cliche.

Not even. Try actually paying more attention to it and you see that over 80% of what he says to Elika is a form of his own philosophy based on how he came to discover it based on how he lived his life. Bad things happened to him in his life, but he doesn't complain about it, and he doesn't try to foget about it like it never happened either. He lets himself learn to be wiser from it while not letting it hinder who he is.

The old Prince was just a random stereotype to the lowest degree per sequel.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06
The Dark Prince was a hindrance imho. Even the concept that involves how he transforms is practically undeveloped to the point that the second persona talking inside him was a pointless move; the Prince maintaining his sense of self kinda destroys the point of a second personality taking him over. It ends up just making it seem like a really severe case of scizophrenia. Not to mention the form looked friggin' stupid.

The best thing to come out of the Dark Prince was "Blue? That's not my favorite color..."

Not even. Try actually paying more attention to it and you see that over 80% of what he says to Elika is a form of his own philosophy based on how he came to discover it based on how he lived his life. Bad things happened to him in his life, but he doesn't complain about it, and he doesn't try to foget about it like it never happened either. He lets himself learn to be wiser from it while not letting it hinder who he is.

I loved the move, because it's the only thing that makes me take Warrior Within seriously.

The Prince is a happy guy. Confident, witty, and able to back himself up on it. That's the Prince you see in Sands of Time.

Fast forward to Warrior Within. He's been hunted by the Dahaka for a long while now (I forget if it's months or years), because he did what he thought was right. He's not able to stop it, only to run, never with much rest. He's going to change to reflect that. He becomes darker, more serious. No time, no reason to crack jokes, or show mercy. This is the Prince of Warrior Within.

Then, The Two Thrones. The Prince has defeated the Dahaka, and saved Kaileena. Things are looking good. He returns to his old, happier self. Then, the Vizier attacks, Kaileena is killed, the Prince is infected with the Sands. Since the Sands seem to have an affinity for darker things and warlike qualities, they give voice to the same impulses that he succumbed to in WW. The Dark Prince is, literally, the Prince's dark side, the way he was in WW, selfish and merciless.

This way, the Prince can see his dark side for what it is, and reject that part of himself. Which is part of what T2T is about; recognizing and pushing away your darker half.

Nightly
tHE pRINCE SEEMED LIKE HIS OLD SELF WHEN HE MET THE ARCHER WOMAN AGAIN. i LIKED IT!

Ushgarak
Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06

I played plenty of attention to it, thankyou. I ratheer feel it is you that did not. The old Prince was an amusing ctyaracter of a type very rarely seen in computer gaming until Warrior Within ruined it. The new Prince was the same old wise-cracking "dont play by anyone's rules except my own" type we get in nearly every bloody game these days, and his wisecracks were godawful.

That you would prefer the newer Prince is another one of those things that makes me despair for the mentality of humanity.

First_Tsurugi06
I played plenty of attention to it, thankyou. I ratheer feel it is you that did not. The old Prince was an amusing ctyaracter of a type very rarely seen in computer gaming until Warrior Within ruined it. The new Prince was the same old wise-cracking "dont play by anyone's rules except my own" type we get in nearly every bloody game these days, and his wisecracks were godawful.

That you would prefer the newer Prince is another one of those things that makes me despair for the mentality of humanity.

In comparison, SoT Prince did little more than spend half the game talking to himself so as to make an excuse that he had otherwise scarce development. With the new one they not only expanded interaction between the Prince and Elika in ways that made Farah seem shoe-horned (which she was in TTT), but they also gave a better sense of their relationship as something a little more than flat-out potential romance or paint-by-numbers love triangles, etc. which the SoT trilogy degraded into. Right now you're proving my point, because most of what he says as the game progresses aren't really wisecracks so much as they are just more nonchalant explanations of his personal views. It takes only playing the first fifteen minutes to have such a negative opinion on the new Prince.

That people immediately label characters to the lowest tee of what category they like the least is the only thing worth any kind of despair. New Prince is a good step above characters like Dante or other such trash-talkers because among other things, he knows his place.

Zack Fair
I agree with First Tsurugi about the new Prince.

Zack Fair
The OST is fascinating.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.