Top Ten TV sci-fi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
As recently voted by British viewers, here is the Uk top ten TV (so no Star Wars) sci-fi list.

10. Space: 1999
9. Buck Rogers in the 25th century
8. The Tomorrow People
7. Sapphire and Steel
6. Blake's 7
5. Hitchhiker's Guide to thr Galaxy
4. Thunderbirds
3. Red Dwarf
2. Dr. Who
1. Star Trek

What do people think? My comments are as follws:

a. This is a poll of ALL tv viewers, not just sci-fi fans. Hence tjhe popula rshowing of braodstream stuff like Doc Who, Star Trek, Ed Dwarf and Thunderbirds and poor showings for X-Files, Bab 5 and so on (Finti will say it is because Bab 5 is rubbish, but then he haes most the stuff there, I think. And I don;t see Space: Above and Beyond there either...)

b. It;s a UK poll, so UK biased. Still, Trek won!

c. I always preferred Captain Scarlet to Thunderbirds

d. Tomorrow People is the only one I have never seen. A favourite of my brother's, I seem to remember

e. I'd love to meet some other Sapphire and Steel fans so I could ask what the heck it was about

f. BUCK ROGERS!? What the heck was that doing there? Battlestar Galactica maybe, but Buck Rogers!!?

queeq
Bidididididididididididi, hey Buck.

Ushgarak
He was voted most annoying sci-fi character of all time by the same programme. They also said he looked rather... um.... phallic...

queeq
I never noticed that.... but then I don't look at stuff in that way. wink

Ratcat
Trek at #1 huh, cool!

I watched all those shows and they make a good, solid list.

He he, Trek at #1.... stick out tongue

Ushgarak
Tomorrow People had the crappest monster, beating even the worst episodes of Star Trek and Blake's 7. Sapphire and Steel was the most atmospheric. Mr. Gerard who played Buck Rogers was most wooden actor...

Dr. Who was the most influential (having run for so long) and the most varied (infinitely adaptable premise), Blake's 7 was the most mature, and Star Trek was just plain the most important...

ToMacco
Wow you guys. beleive it or not, star trek is the only one on that list that i've herd of.

i've herd of "duck dodgers and the 25th and a half century" on looney tunes, which is obviously a spoof of one on the list.

finti
It is because Bab 5 is rubbish big grin so is Blakes 7 and Dr Who( laughing out loud ) yes one must laugh at that show. How long was his scarf again? cool

ToMacco
Again, i have no idea what you are talking about. perhaps i should just leave this post to those who know what's up. wink

queeq
I'd expected Hitchhiker's Guide to be a tad higher though.

Ushgarak
For something that only had six episodes it did damn well for a TV poll. I am sure it would win best ever Radio sci-fi.

King Jedi
The only one I'd never heard of was Saphire and Steel. Red Dwarf should have been number one. Or "V" which is my favourite Sci-Fi series ever.

Ushgarak
'V' only ever acheived cult status in the UK.

Sapphire and Steel was a classic, but pretty strange stuff. Sounded like a cheesy 70's cop buddy programme until you saw it.

finti
it was very populare in norway and Sweden too

King Jedi
The first two mini-series are probably my favourite TV shows ever. But the series when the creator of the show left was terrible. It ended up being like Dallas.

I'm still suprised that the X-Files, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, Buffy or The Prisoner wasn't on the list.

Ushgarak
I am not 100% certain that Buffy and the Prisoner were eligible, which may seem slightly inconsistent but they were making a really focussed direction here.

X-Files, like V and Babylon 5, is only popular among sci-fi fans and not a broad TV audience.

King Jedi
I'd say Buffy and the Prisoner were more eligable than Thunderbirds. Does anyone think that's Sci-Fi? confused

Ushgarak
Indeed. I think Captain Scarlet would have been MUCH better. But Thunderbirds counts as futuristic, in the end. It was designed as sci-fi and The Prisoner wasn't.

And in the end (despite dipping its toe in EVERYTHING), Buffy is fantasy.

Orpheus
I would certainly say that Thunderbirds is eligable as Sci-Fi. Maybe a bit different to most other Sci-fis but I would still call it sci-fi.

Ushgarak
What do you think, Orph? Bab 5 deserves to be in there?

queeq
Not classic enough yet, but I agree with Orph on the Thinderbirds.

Orpheus
B5 should have been in there, but it doesn't have quite the broad appeal of something like Buffy or the X-Files.

I was a little suprised not to see Buffy but I don't know what the criteria were for selecting the "candidate" programs.

I'm not suprised to find ST at the top but as i'm not the biggest ST fan it was amusing to hear that the "Original" series was stopped after the third season beacause it was so off plot. ( ha ha).

Gundark
Interesting list. Buck Rogers was campier than Galactica. Surprised Galactica didn't make it. Dr. Who is a given, so is Star Trek. Loved Space 1999. The moon flying around loose in space. Cool.

Bidididdididididdidididdididi. Go get em' Buck !

Orpheus
I never saw any Buck Rogers but from the clip they showed on the program I would have liked to have seen some Sapphire and Steel. It looked ...........different.

Don't tell me Ush you've got some on tape.

Ushgarak
ST HAD no plot, at least nothing so defined that the third series could have breached it It was cancelled because it had become so utterly crap and the actors had started to hate it.

Orpheus... yes, I have, though they gave away far too much of the ending.

Gundark
Well half of them I've never seen because they've never shown them over here.

queeq
Most of them are English.

Ushgarak
Four are American, six British. Americans are unlikely to have seen Sapphire and Steel, but the rest were very successful exports. Dr. Whi is the second most exported sci-fi show ever (first is Trek) and Tomorrow People is the thrid (going in 55 countries and only being refused by Sweden)

Gundark
Who ? Dr. Whi ?

Ushgarak
Stupid I key being nect to the o...

Apparently Sweden rejected The Tomorrow People because it was too 'psychologically violent'. Hmm...

Gundark
I never saw it. So you're saying it was like, Clockwork Orange ?

Ushgarak
The Tomorrow People was effectively a kids show; couldn;t be less like Clockwork Orange.

Sapphire and Steel was the darkly weird one but was always shown at a later hour. VERY atmospheric show. It revolved around the idea that you never had a clue who the main characters actually were.

finti
does anyone remember ultraviolet?

Orpheus
Now you're talking decent telly. pity they only made six episodes.

Ushgarak
Stunning series. We are talking the UK version here of course, Finti. I never saw the American version.

finti
Yes UK version, so the yanks had a version of their own hmmm

King Jedi
I really hated that show.

finti
go eat some haggis, if Ush and I can agree on a sci fi tv show it must be great.

Gundark
Interesting. Ultraviolet is also the name of a lotion you can use in tanning beds over here. Its about $75.00 a tube.

King Jedi
It's probably more entertaining than the show. rolling on floor laughing

finti
KJ go watch murder on the moors or something

Gundark
Well KJ, I tried a sample one time and its certainly squishy stuff.

King Jedi
To be honest, I'd rather watch you with the lotion than watch the show. smokin'

Finti what's "murder on the moors"?

finti
I dont know probably something scottish, about scotish series.
I saw one about crow in the title, based on a very populare book.
It was pretty good.

Ushgarak
Ultraviolet was amazing, it proved that the UK CAN still do decent sci-fi (and coming just after Invasion: Earth, that was quite a relief).

However, they creully decided not to make s econd series not because of poor feedback but simply because they diodn;t want to. They made a full-length American version that I understand had a more soap-opera feel to it that I still have not seen; Idris Elba (Vaughn) was in it, but niot playing the same character.

Gundark
Well KJ, if you're gonna watch me in the tanning bed, naked with lotion, you have to wear those little eye protectors too. wink

King Jedi
It's a small price to pay. evil face

I thought Ultraviolet took itself way to seriously.IMHO

AVON
1 Blake's 7
2 Dr. Who
3 Star Trek (all except voyager)
4 Quantum Leap
5 UFO
6 B5
7 Twilight Zone (original 60's version)

Plus others too numerous to add here big grin

Kes
X-files
Stargate (Is it sci-fi?)

I guess that it. Its all I can remember!
Cant belive the x files is not on that list! Its the best sci-fi in the 90s!

Fire
X-Files (first seasons)
Star Trek Voyager (not a treky so I'm allowed to like it)
StarGate (awesomely cool Macgyver hasn't lost it yet)
Star Trek Deep Space 9 (cool tho I like ships better)
Quantum Leap (very old but very cool)

Kes
Ah yes Quantium leap. I liked that one.

G.P
THunderbirds !THunderbirds !
Star Trek TNG
Space 1999

Ushgarak
BLIMEY, this was an old one to ressurect!

And a member named Avon? Bonus!

G.P
Don't try to change the issue...so you like Captain Scarlet, uh ? j/k wink What about Joe 90 ? devil

(I was amazed when I saw this topic was two years old... eek! and I liked Cpt Scarlet too)

The Omega
The Doctor # 1!

Nothing else compares (Hugs Toy Tardis, and video collection) big grin

Baylin
My fave is Farscape although I've people either love it or hate it.

The Omega
Oh, Farscape is PRETTY good, too.
But the Doctor is still #1! big grin

Baylin
My fav Dr was Tom Baker, I must have been about 5 or 6 when he was the Dr

AVON
Yes, "USHGARAK" I've been recently searching for interesting forums - those that mention "B7".

So, AVON is definitelystill here! big grin

Not that we don't like the Doctor (a dear old friend - esp. 3rd & 4th ones)! Love Gerry Anderson stuff too ( esp. love "STINGRAY'S" Troy Tempest and "UFO'S" Cmdr. Straker )

SpikeSpiegel
Quantum leap was cool, i wish that they'ld make a new series. Oh or what about sliders, the first seasons were the best i didn't like the fourth. O and Red dwarf is cool the movie is going to be awesome

SpikeSpiegel
What happened in the last episode of sliders?

Fire
no idea spike, I liked the first 2 seasons of Silders after that it became weird and not cool anymore

SpikeSpiegel
yeah especially when they killed the professer and then changed the actor who played quinn and got rid of wade. what about farscape ne1 like that?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.