whats the worst book you ever attempted to read?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

badkittykitty
Have you ever got a book and got all cozy and ready for a good night of reading and to your dismay found out you were holding the worst book you ever laid eyes and wanted to toss it in the garbage? well what was it?

badkittykitty
one of mine and I hope I dont get slapped for this but it was Maya Angelou's autobiography of her childhood in Arkansa called 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings' I couldnt stand it. I had watched a bio on tv about her and it was interesting shes a great speaker but this book just made me angry mad

Hegemon875
TimeLine by Micheal Crichton. I heard that the movie was coming out so I wanted to read the book. It just didn't appeal to me. I found it really boring, half way through it I thought "Why am I reading this?" I didn't really care about the characters at all, which is essential for any story. So I guess that was it's major flaw for me, I just didn't care if they ever got back so there was no reason to keep reading.

Complicated
I'm reading it right now - The Will to Power by Friedrich Nietzsche. It's not that philosophers typically have horrific literary abilities, or that their ideas are poorly developed, or that the guys translating the original texts and notes from the original languages into English did poorly, but philosophy just isn't good reading, and The Will to Power epitomizes that statement. Most of the "sentences" are fragments, and while they all go along the same themes, and in some rough sort of order, there is somehow little to no congruence.

Every single page is a chore, seemingly made even more difficult than it has to be on purpose, so as to test the conviction and/or maturity of those so bold as to wish to comprehend the words (or an approximation of the words) of one of the greatest philosophers of all time.

Also, I remember strongly disliking much of what I was required to read in high school - Slaughterhouse Five, Brave New World, The Scarlet Letter, Canterbury Tales... I disliked them not because they were written poorly, or I couldn't comprehend them, but simply out of principle - hatred of the pompous deification of them by school boards across the country. You get worked up for something great, then get something okay...

badkittykitty
so true! I read the scarlet letter out of the ones you mentioned and was let down,but if it hadnt been soo built up in my mind I know I would have loved it.

I have a book called 'a history of knowledge' by charles van doren that totally seems this way... its so interesting because it is a compendium of everything that humankind has thought,invented,created,considered and perfected from the beginning..but he describes things in such a way I feel I have to read a pg 2-3 times for me to understand..making it a painful read.
sad

Complicated
Looking back at my own high school classes, I feel that my teachers were terribly unhappy with their positions in the educational process. Most of those that taught advanced courses taught advanced courses exclusively - essentially being as close to a collegiate level as possible, without much hope of ever reaching the real thing. They seemed to approach the curriculum not as a precurser to the real thing, but as the definitive class and their opinions on subjective materials as informed doctrine. I'd leave classes feeling as if they were trying to convince me that I don't need college - that everything they were teaching me was enough for me to become an educated, cultured, productive member of society. laughing out loud

Poor unhappy, underpaid, dead-end job-having teachers, screwing with the minds of their students... sad

fungrl515
ballad of lucy whipple and year of wonders. terrible books. of course, i HAD to read them, so i forced myself too, but i've been scarred fro life since reading yow. ah! shield the children's eyes!!!

crazy_c
I dont think ive ever read a book that i didnt want to read.erm

badkittykitty
scared for life fungrl515? that is a truly terrible book!
your lucky c.c. its a traumatic experience!

BOPRecruit 16
daughers of eve by lois duncan. i think.

bLooMiLiCioUs
A Brave New World.dunno who wrote it.it got me so damn sad n pissed off.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
damn does Harry Potter books. waste of my time.

once again i recommend everyone to read Crime and Punishment by Fydor Dostoevsky

happy kine
crime and punishment... how does it end? i was 3 quarters through and i lost the book... i was moving from one location to another and poof it disappeared. but it was a very good book... maybe i'll rent it from the library.. unless you just tell me how it ended..

fungrl515
are you kidding me! i despised that book! i hate it! i've given it to my friend so they could burn it.

EOWYN3
Crime & Punishment was too much work

tptmanno1
two words,
Great Expectations
classic my butt, soooo boring, hated it. AND i accually had to read it for school. I can usuallly whip through books, because i like to read and can read fast but that took FOREVER!

badkittykitty
Great Expectations..never heard of it..sounds like Im lucky! laughing out loud

BrightEyes85
The scarlett letter. I know its a classic and people view it in great reverance but it was too boring. I don't even think I got past the first chapter.

tptmanno1
i hate so called "classics" the're never any good.

RonyLeBeau
In Dark Water-by Mermer Blakeslee
This book was strange, very twisted, and the worst book i ever read.

wacko

hotsauce6548
The Winding Path by Irene Polaski
It was absolutly horrid. I hated it. The characters were so wierd! I was about halfway through when I decided to stop reading. I think I would have died if I had to read it.

Lord Soth
Watership Down. I've tried to read it 4 times now, b/c my mom tells me it's really good. But I always lose interest (and always at the same part, too.....)

dreamwriter
Goose Chase, I got halfway through the book after a really long while, then it said something aobut a ring or something that they had already recovered. I had no idea as to what they're talking about, so I just gave up.

Sc0rchy
i've got quite a few...

crime and punishment - dostoevsky
tender is the night - fitzgerald
the great gatsby - fitzgerald
the old man and the sea - hemmingway
a wrinkle in time - l'engle (or something like that...)

fungrl515
i'm ashamed of myself. when i was REALLY young, i got the wrinkle in time, cuz it was so popular in my school, after that, i bought the whole series and all of the other boooks by her, so i could understand what my friends were talking about. egad!! they were horrible!!! ugh! almost as bad as a year of wonders, but in a different way. never read them!!! oh, and the books by... what's his name... hold on... lloyd alexander... ugh!!! so bad. really!!! i hated them. also... rebecca. i hated that book. loved the fountainhead, which a lot of people seem to hate, buit hated rebecca. wonder why. but... don't read it.

Sc0rchy
yeah, i did that too. i bet if i tried now i'd be able to understand all that math crud she was talkin about though. unfortunately i hafta read brothers k... probably another addition to my list...

Nilfalathiel
Heh, it's funny how everybody says they can't get through the Scarlett Letter, because I honestly couldn't get through the first 5 pages. It was the most gawdawful boring book I've ever read (though I suppose I'll have to read it when I get into High School - I'm in 8th grade now) I tried to read it last year since it was just below my reading level.

The thing is, I can usually sit through the first couple chapters without tossing a book, as in the cases of Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte and Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I actually found that I immensely enjoyed both those books (especially Crime and Punishment - don't know why people think it's boring. It's quite deep and interesting if you read farther on ^^)

And about Maya Angelou's book - everybody I know who's read that has loved it, except for my brother. He thought it was the most annoying and bad book he'd ever read. He told me during the summer when he forced me to pick out books I'd read in high school. He shoved me towards the 'Classics' section of Barnes and Noble and I read and liked every book that I bought from there. Strange...

amity75
I'm not gonna make any friends here but I cannot get into the lord of the rings. I've been trying to read it all my life and can't get past the birthday party without giving up, bored. One day I will succeed, hopefully.

Nilfalathiel
Heh, one of my best friends is like that. Me being an avid Tolkien fan cannot understand, but will accept that no matter how hard she tries, she will not get past the birthday party either -.-

airangel429
ITS WAY better after the birthday party....that all is kinda draggish......... Did you read the Hobbit? The first chapter was kinda dry...but the rest of the book was great.

As for a book I couldn't stand...I'd have to say Slaughterhouse 5, Catcher and the Rye and Catch 22...I know the last two are favorites to some...but they weren't my kinda book.

amity75
Tell you what, I'll start reading it tonight from AFTER the birthday party. Maybe I should have tried that years ago!

masterkit
The Golden Goblet-I had to read it for a class in school once and like omg i died >_>

Blue_Hefner
Anything from Ernest Hemingway
Anything from Charles Dickens
The Scarlet Letter- just because of the unfamiliar vernacular

Bardock42
I did stop reading "The Truth" by Terry Pratchett. I wouldn't say it is the worst nor even a particular bad book though.

Koala MeatPie
"The last Seal Pup" For Grade 4 book report.

other then that "La guerre Du Feu" (The War of fire) Which I received for my 8th Birthday.

Never read it.

Kid Kurdy
The Celestine Prophecy.

Bullmaniac
Originally posted by -hh-
Harry Potter books. waste of my time.

ditto! Harry Potter is dreadful. Really can't be bothered with it and people I speak to say its because everyone reads it but its actually just because they are crap books and there are thousands more books that I would rather read!!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
One time, a 'friend' of mine gave me some stupid spoof novella of 'The Matrix'. It was called something like 'The Matriculated'. He gave it to me as a birthday present, and it was honestly the worst book I've ever read in my life. After I finished it, I took it to the roof of my apartment building and burnt that sucker to a crisp.

Also file 'The Da Vinci Code' and anything by Clive Cussler on the list of shit reading.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
After I finished it, I took him to the roof of my apartment building and burnt that sucker to a crisp.

MURDER!!!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Bardock42
MURDER!!!

You kno' it. Word, 'sup?

Bardock42
You kno' it. Word, 'sup?

Woah, you talk like a negro.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Me talk pretty one day.

Bardock42
Me talk pretty one day.

Don't you feel dirty when you are dumb?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Mmm, dirty. Like Jesus' sandals.

Bardock42
Mmm, dirty. Like Jesus' sandals.

Woah, if Jesus was so good..why didn't he give his Sandals to them poor folks?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Because they would have made them into boats and sailed away to America where they would have sex with big-breasted whores. And sheep.

Bardock42
Because they would have made them into boats and sailed away to America where they would have sex with big-breasted whores. And sheep.

Woah, woah, woah...are you saying Joseph Smith is a liar?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Woah, woah, woah...are you saying Joseph Smith is a liar?

I don't know, but first read this:

Joseph Smith = Liar.

Bardock42
I don't know, but first read this:

Joseph Smith = Liar.

What do 'at taint'd sign mean?

Azure
I've read............

........a school text book! Ahh! Oh-no!fear

clearlyblonde
Also file 'The Da Vinci Code' and anything by Clive Cussler on the list of shit reading.

I thought the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown was actually really good.

Although i am a fan of Nirvana, i would have to say that love and death, written about Kurt Cobain. I am normaly able to read through a whole book, but this one actually put me to sleep. It seemed based on Cobains grandfather rather than himself.

manorastroman
half asleep in frog pajamas.

el_barto
I tried reading I Robot, I dont know why but I just couldnt read it. I like Lord of the Rings, but I just cant handle it at times, it just gets too drawn out and boring.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The worst 7-book series that I've ever read is The Dark Tower. It's also the only 7-book series that I've read. It's also the worst because the ending is one of the least satisfying and most cop-outish I've ever read in my life ever.

The stuff I said earlier about Dan Brown and Clive Cussler still stands; they junk, ya hear? They junk.

Bardock42
Originally posted by el_barto
I tried reading I Robot, I dont know why but I just couldnt read it. I like Lord of the Rings, but I just cant handle it at times, it just gets too drawn out and boring.

I hate you. (I also doubt you ca actually read)

Originally posted by clearlyblonde
I thought the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown was actually really good. Clearly

Kid Kurdy
The worst 7-book series that I've ever read is The Dark Tower. It's also the only 7-book series that I've read. It's also the worst because the ending is one of the least satisfying and most cop-outish I've ever read in my life ever.
It took you 7 whole books to decide The Dark Tower sucked ? That's what, 3000 pages ?

Maybe you're a bit too fast with your judgement laughing

I haven't read Clive Cussler, but Dan Brown is pretty good. Angels and Demons is his best novel.

The Phantom
In school we were forced to read The Catcher in the Rye. I dunno why people think it is a good book. Twas the worst i've read.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Kid Kurdy
It took you 7 whole books to decide The Dark Tower sucked ? That's what, 3000 pages ?

Maybe you're a bit too fast with your judgement laughing

The journey was fun, but the ending spoiled all that went before.

I haven't read Clive Cussler, but Dan Brown is pretty good. Angels and Demons is his best novel.

Dan Brown writes utter garbage. If you like garbage, then I guess you'll like what he writes.

Originally posted by The Phantom
In school we were forced to read The Catcher in the Rye. I dunno why people think it is a good book. Twas the worst i've read.

Have you read books other than comic books and the latest movie novelisation? Catcher In The Rye captures a period in life, a time and a person so utterly perfectly. However, there aren't any dragon's lances in it, so maybe it's time for Salinger to do a re-draft.

Kid Kurdy
Dan Brown writes utter garbage. If you like garbage, then I guess you'll like what he writes.
Why ? I'm not a fan, but I respect the fact that the man can write a page turner. That's also a gift you know.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Why ? I'm not a fan, but I respect the fact that the man can write a page turner. That's also a gift you know.

It's only a page-turner if you can't wait to read more crap.

Bardock42
Yes, yes, Catcher in the Rye = good. Not bad. Good.

Kid Kurdy
It's only a page-turner if you can't wait to read more crap.
That's a typical complaint heard from Dan Brown haters. Lots of people consider his books as crap - I don't mind - but when you ask them why, they can't really answer.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
That's a typical complaint heard from Dan Brown haters. Lots of people consider his books as crap - I don't mind - but when you ask them why, they can't really answer.

I've already stated why he is crap...He's crap because he is crap.

If you really need details then he writes with the reading level of a 12 year old (dog) in mind, his characters are drawn from cardboard, his grasp of literary techniques such as the internal monologue is akin to a blind dog (Brown) chasing a mouse with the IQ of Stephen Hawkings, and his narratives are desperately formulaic.

Need more or can you swim without arm-bands now?

el_barto
I hate you. (I also doubt you can actually read)

I can't read, thanks jerk.

Bardock42
Originally posted by el_barto
I can't read, thanks jerk.
Calling me jerk for telling the truth, will ya?

Kid Kurdy
I've already stated why he is crap...He's crap because he is crap.
You should write book reviews.

You're really exaggerating, but to each his own.

Drop the attitude.

Blue_Hefner
roll eyes (sarcastic) You are out of your damned mind.

manorastroman
here is why dan brown is crap: "they took him to a mysterious hangar. inside was a mysterious black jet. he got in the black jet."

his writing is inexcusably idiotic.

Bardock42
Originally posted by manorastroman
here is why dan brown is crap: "they took him to a mysterious hangar. inside was a mysterious black jet. he got in the black jet."

I think i can write like that. Let me try.

He went to the pool house. The door was open. He went into the pool house. In the pool house the light was off. He turned the light on. The lights went on. He sat on the sofa. The sofa was red. Was Jesus really the sister of Buddha. He couldn't believe what he had just learned.

I think I'm onto something.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
You should write book reviews.

You're really exaggerating, but to each his own.

Drop the attitude.

That would be fun as long as I don't have to read crap books by crap authors. Like Dan Brown.

I'm not, but you're right about it's your choice to read crap books if you want.

Ain't no attitude, sistah. Dis is how it is.

Bardock42
I'm not, but you're right about it's your choice to read crap books if you want.

Crap books like Dan Brown writes them?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Crap books like Dan Brown writes them?

Bingo.

Blue_Hefner

Sounds like Ernest Hemingway

manorastroman
Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
Sounds like Ernest Hemingway

philistine!!! hemingway has penned some o. henry worthy stories, such as the battler, a clean well lighted place, and the short happy life of francis maccomber.

clearlyblonde

Okay, so your saying that a person who is rich, has his own jet is far fetched? Everyone knows that no one in the world can possibly have their own jet. Although people can write about witches and aliens and so on. What about JK Rowlings book, why don't you go on complaining about how unrealistic they are (nothing against Rowling, her books are good). Why cant Dan Brown write about something that may give a twist to the story. As long as it was a jet and not an unidentified space craft, i think its just fine.

Kid Kurdy
Okay, so your saying that a person who is rich, has his own jet is far fetched? Everyone knows that no one in the world can possibly have their own jet. Although people can write about witches and aliens and so on. What about JK Rowlings book, why don't you go on complaining about how unrealistic they are (nothing against Rowling, her books are good). Why cant Dan Brown write about something that may give a twist to the story. As long as it was a jet and not an unidentified space craft, i think its just fine.
It's not about the jet, it's about the way Brown describes it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Ahhhahahahahahahahaha!

You're well suited to liking Dan Brown's books.

Bardock42

You are funny.

masterkit
Okay, so your saying that a person who is rich, has his own jet is far fetched? Everyone knows that no one in the world can possibly have their own jet. Although people can write about witches and aliens and so on. What about JK Rowlings book, why don't you go on complaining about how unrealistic they are (nothing against Rowling, her books are good). Why cant Dan Brown write about something that may give a twist to the story. As long as it was a jet and not an unidentified space craft, i think its just fine. Originally posted by Kid Kurdy
It's not about the jet, it's about the way Brown describes it.

yeah. you got what he meant totally wrong. o.o

Victor Von Doom
Mansfield Park, without doubt.

clearlyblonde
haha ohh, okay then. im a bit embarrassed now. Sorry then.

Kid Kurdy
No problem.

masterkit

hence your namewink

clearlyblonde
yeah.. lol well at least i can admit it.

star_scar_child
i know why the caged bird sings, no argument

The Phantom

Have you read books other than comic books and the latest movie novelisation? Catcher In The Rye captures a period in life, a time and a person so utterly perfectly. However, there aren't any dragon's lances in it, so maybe it's time for Salinger to do a re-draft. One, I've never touched a comic book or movie novelisation. Two, I don't only read Dragonlance. Three, the way he wrote it was just not to my taste. Too much redudency which drove me nuts. But then again I was never a fan of first person point of view but I think it just goes beyond that for me.

The Phantom
Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
roll eyes (sarcastic) You are out of your damned mind. (Not double posting on purpose, just carrying stuff over from the next page of the last quote) I get that a lot and I can't understand why people like it so much.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
One, I've never touched a comic book or movie novelisation. Two, I don't only read Dragonlance. Three, the way he wrote it was just not to my taste. Too much redudency which drove me nuts. But then again I was never a fan of first person point of view but I think it just goes beyond that for me.

One, two and three? Wow, you can count like the wind can whistle!

Yeah, I can understand that if you don't like first-person narratives then you're going to find Catcher in the Rye a little contrary. However, the nature of this style means that there isn't really any redundancy as it's all part of what makes the whole(den) Caulfield.

Yeah, I like what I did there, too.

The Phantom
One, two and three? Wow, you can count like the wind can whistle!

Yeah, I can understand that if you don't like first-person narratives then you're going to find Catcher in the Rye a little contrary. However, the nature of this style means that there isn't really any redundancy as it's all part of what makes the whole(den) Caulfield.

Yeah, I like what I did there, too. Hehehe. Someones enjoying trying to get on my badside. (Ain't working.) I meant to say repetetive anyway. He says things over and over again, it's annoying. Also with they way he describes things. Wasn't my style on reading.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Ooo-goo-gee-choo, the style is a reflection of reality; we all have idiosyncratic language.

The Phantom
Ooo-goo-gee-choo, the style is a reflection of reality; we all have idiosyncratic language. All right, I just don't like it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
All right, I just don't like it.

I realise that, I'm just correcting you so that you become a better person.

manorastroman
i read catcher in the rye just after my angsty phase, so a lot of it struck me as...well...silly, i guess. i feel like holden caulfield's problems can be summed up like so: they're such phonies, it KILLS me.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Are you saying that you can only like a book if your feelings are synonymously empathetic with the main character's?

manorastroman
are you saying you're abnormally defensive about a novel generally accepted to be directed at a specific age group?

no. but the idiot immaturity of holden caulfield goes beyond the pale. i can't even sympathize with him.

Bardock42
I liked Nine Stories.

manorastroman
hey man...me too. meeeeee too.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
are you saying you're abnormally defensive about a novel generally accepted to be directed at a specific age group?

Yes.

no. but the idiot immaturity of holden caulfield goes beyond the pale. i can't even sympathize with him.

You are.

manorastroman
i guess we could just listen to the smiths and talk about old girlfriends that broke our hearts.

Bardock42
i guess we could just listen to the smiths and talk about old girlfriends that broke our hearts.

Doing one of two right now.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Doing one of two right now.

I didn't know there were only 2 people in The Smiths.

Bardock42
I didn't know there were only 2 people in The Smiths. Only 2 worth mentioning.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
But you're doing only one of them?

Bardock42
But you're doing only one of them?

Nope, just answering your question.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
So, you're doing both of them?

You animal.

Bardock42
So, you're doing both of them?

You animal.

Yes, no.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Because?

Bardock42
Why?

manorastroman
you guys finish each others sentences. honestly, it's adorable.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Why?

Because I love thee in a special way.

you guys finish each others sentences. honestly, it's adorable.

You may join us. It's a celebration, isn't it?

Victor Von Doom
Only 2 worth mentioning.

Why would you not mention Morrissey and Mike Joyce?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Why would you not mention Morrissey and Mike Joyce?

Overrated.

RogerRamjet
I didn't know there were only 2 people in The Smiths.

i didn't know there were so many gheys here

RogerRamjet
uuh...those California men...

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by RogerRamjet
i didn't know there were so many gheys here

Bardock isn't gay, he just likes to put his penis in other men's brown stink-holes. It's his thing, and I for one don't judge him on it.

MildPossession
What is wrong with Clive Cussler? just wondering because my older brother has read most of the author's work and he left one at my house last time he was visiting, should I read it or be good and recycle it?

I can't really think of anything at the moment except Shakespeare's Richard II, I was absolutely bored with this play when I had to read it at college. Didn't even finish it. I mean we did lovely things like Frankenstein and Cat On a Hot Tin Roof, and then we moved onto Richard II... Didn't actually finish the course so doesn't really matter that I didn't read all of it, bla.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by MildPossession
What is wrong with Clive Cussler? just wondering because my older brother has read most of the author's work and he left one at my house last time he was visiting, should I read it or be good and recycle it?

It's utter garbage, but something good should come from it, so I'd say recycle it. Although, whatever it is made from it in its next reincarnation will undoubtebly be stupierererererer for it.

allofyousuckkk
War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

It has no dialogue, it just explains whats happening. Let me demonstrate.

David sat at his computer typing about War of the Worlds. His mother walked in halfway through his post, however, and spoke to him about going to get a permit. He understood the hazards of crashing, but that was apparently not good enough.

URGH! It's like the book is one long paragraph.

apoc001
I'm currently trying to read 20, 000 leagues under the sea, and it's soooo slow. I can't get through one page without coming across a "brief" and boring history of some species or island that I've never heard of. It really damages the flow of the story. Still, I have to keep going at least until I reach the giant squid.

Dawson
Great Expectations - Dickens
Putting aside the fact that I don't like the way Dickens writes to begin with, this has to be one of the most boring books I have ever had the displeasure of reading. I hated the main character from the moment the narrator introduced him until the moment the book was through. Sadly, I was forced to read it.

Ethan Frome - Edith Wharton
Another book I was forced to read. Though shorter than Great Expectations, this was still a horribly painful book to try to get through.

Ivanhoe - Sir Walter Scott
Up until I read this book, I had never actually fallen asleep from boredom while reading. I would really rather not read three pages describing one room that really doesn't have much in it, and I don't need to know that the Prior is riding a mule, not a horse, and that the bridle of said animal has bells on it.

doomsday49
'haunted' by the guy that wrote fight club.

manorastroman
Originally posted by doomsday49
'haunted' by the guy that wrote fight club.

yeah, haunted was pretty awful.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I feel the same way about 'Survivor'. Palahniuk is over-rated.

Darth Anakin16
i disagree i like the potter books. but a book i don't like is the scarlet letter, we had to read that in skool about a week ago and it was really crap.

Bardock42
I also disagree, I really liked the DaVinci Code, but I had to read The Trial in school...now there is a shit book.

manorastroman
I also disagree, I really liked the DaVinci Code, but I had to read The Trial in school...now there is a shit book.

i love it when you talk dirty.

ADarksideJedi
The book "Catcher in t he Ray" horrible book.Not sure why I even read it.jm

Bardock42
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
The book "Catcher in t he Ray" horrible book.Not sure why I even read it.jm

Catcher in the Rye

Not sure why you are even allowed to read.

Victor Von Doom

I didn't know someone else- not Kafka- wrote a book called The Trial.

You will now enlighten me.

RedAlertv2
Speaking of Kafka, I had a really difficult time getting through Metamorphosis. Not that it was a bad book, just really drab.

Victor Von Doom
I don't like The Metamorphosis as much as The Trial.

'Drab' in some ways is part of his technique, though not in a pejorative sense.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I didn't know someone else- not Kafka- wrote a book called The Trial.

You will now enlighten me.

N-no.

ADarksideJedi
Who wrote the book "The Trail" I never heard of it?jm

Bardock42
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Who wrote the book "The Trail" I never heard of it?jm http://www.amazon.com/Ivory-Trail-Talbot-Mundy/dp/1419167804/ref=sr_1_1/002-6347697-6336026?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177252899&sr=8-1

argesilen
Originally posted by Complicated
I'm reading it right now - The Will to Power by Friedrich Nietzsche. It's not that philosophers typically have horrific literary abilities, or that their ideas are poorly developed, or that the guys translating the original texts and notes from the original languages into English did poorly, but philosophy just isn't good reading, and The Will to Power epitomizes that statement. Most of the "sentences" are fragments, and while they all go along the same themes, and in some rough sort of order, there is somehow little to no congruence.

Every single page is a chore, seemingly made even more difficult than it has to be on purpose, so as to test the conviction and/or maturity of those so bold as to wish to comprehend the words (or an approximation of the words) of one of the greatest philosophers of all time.

Also, I remember strongly disliking much of what I was required to read in high school - Slaughterhouse Five, Brave New World, The Scarlet Letter, Canterbury Tales... I disliked them not because they were written poorly, or I couldn't comprehend them, but simply out of principle - hatred of the pompous deification of them by school boards across the country. You get worked up for something great, then get something okay...

wow, you're so full of yourself, you even have a picture of WJS, representing yourself, wow...
i disagree with you about philosophical reading, when someone take that boat, he's unable to read anything else because of it, except maybe classics, when someone is philosopher, every other book is just dull, and boooooring...
And about Nietzsche: the Will to Power is never meant to be 'defragmented', that book was published after his death, it's not systematised, or put together in some sort of coherent knowledge, it's just aphorisms, and thoughts, and if you don't like them, do not underestimate them...
there is one aphorism by N: Who have ever said, He's not by my taste, therefore I'm not worthy of him...i think you can find yourself in those words...
I'm not saying that i understand N, but I'm trying, I'm not worthy of him. yetsmile
In his writings, there are much more than last century ever find out, and it's doubtful that this one will find out either, N is the future...
BTW, I'm sorry for my bad grammar, English isn't my native...

p.s. why don't you try with some other work like: well, every other smile

JacopeX
Kill a Mocking Bird

Boring as hell.....

Any book that takes place in the old times in places I dont give a shit about or anywhere.

Strangelove
Tess of the D'Urbervilles sick

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by JacopeX
Kill a Mocking Bird

Boring as hell.....

Any book that takes place in the old times in places I dont give a shit about or anywhere. Im guessing you stumbled into the book forum by accident. Move along now.

MadMel
math textbook laughing out loud
nah seriously, i think my choice would be that DBZ coloring book that came with a game magazine i used to get

JacopeX
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Im guessing you stumbled into the book forum by accident. Move along now. I can post where ever I want to post. If this forum cant tolerate it, then this forum does have a problem.

Barker
Originally posted by JacopeX
I can post where ever I want to post. If this forum cant tolerate it, then this forum does have a problem.
Let's not pull an Eclipso now.

MadMel
yea lets not

ragesRemorse
the first harry potter book, and some book called halloween

Ytse
Atlas Shrugged

Sorry, I know lots of people love Ayn Rand and think it's intelligent to read this dry, dry tome. But I couldn't cope after 100 pages.

RaventheOnly
I 2nd Atlas Shrugged... omg its such a retarded story and talk about no morals O.o

General G
I tried reading the DaVinci Code and I just could not get into it, I would either fall asleep or just put it down.

enjoyyrworries
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
i hate so called "classics" the're never any good.

I don't know if you really are a ****ing idiot, but statements like that can only lead me to one conclusion: you are.

You just dismissed thousands of years of literature in nine words. Get your head out from between your legs, moron.

enjoyyrworries
Originally posted by Ytse
Atlas Shrugged

Sorry, I know lots of people love Ayn Rand and think it's intelligent to read this dry, dry tome. But I couldn't cope after 100 pages.

It's one of the most important books in post-war American history. That being said...a good 300 pages could've been shaved off and the same moral lesson would've been achieved.

The movie is going to completely ****ing bomb, though. How are they going to edit Galt's 80-page speech? That alone would take up three hours!

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ytse
Atlas Shrugged

Page 950 to 1000 hurt pretty bad...but the rest was very smooth sailing. Great book. The Fountainhead is much easier and more fun to read though.Originally posted by RaventheOnly
I 2nd Atlas Shrugged... omg its such a retarded story and talk about no morals O.o N-no morals? Did you understand a word she wrote?

enjoyyrworries
N-no morals? Did you understand a word she wrote?

I was thinking the exact same thing confused

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>