Gandalf the White against Voldemort

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

srandle317
I don't know this is pretty close.

Give your opinion of who will win this power against power duel.

hotsauce6548
i dont really no who would win... i think Lord Voldemort would winand i hav another question... i dont no a lot about LOTR so is there any difference between Gandalf the White and Gandalf the Gray besides their name?

Luna150
Isn't there a LOTR forum somewhere?

starlitegrl
i think gandalf the wgite is stronger than gandalf the gray..im not sure cuz i just watch the movies i never read any of the books..

I think that voldemort will win the battel.....im not very familair with gandalf the white's powers.......

nephalim27
Gandalf the White would eat Voldemort for breakfast.

Venom31096
I would have to agree with nephalim27, Gandalph would beat voldemort, i have read the books(harry potter and lord of the rings) and that is just my opinion.

airangel429
I totally AGREE..... Voldemort would be an apetizer for him..hee hee! big grin

Maikahyandowen
Gandalf would blow the robes off Voldemort. the colors of the wizards denotes their rank in the order. gandalf was below sauruman, because sauruman was white and he was grey. but then he became even more powerfull and became white himself. there was a brown wizard too, and he was below gandalf. he wasn't in the movie though.http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/velho.gif http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/starwars.gif http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/bash.gif http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/bangin.gif

shaber
In Rowling's world, evil does not seem to bring with it the sterility it does in Tokein's world. However, Gandalf the White would still be stronger than Voldemort, having become a great Maiar, that now could rival Sauron.

Antaraka
Yeah Gandalf would dominate.

sauron
saruman was not white, he was sarruman of many coulours

gandalf would LASH voldy to pieces, voldemort wouldnt know what happened

good always triumphs over evil, although you pppl whjo havent read the books you should, there not as aeasy as reading a potter book, but in my opinion they are better

Maikahyandowen
he was white first. he was white in the hobbit, before he went bad and all that.

Tired Hiker
No, he was Grey in The Hobbit and it wasn't until Two Towers that Gandalf became White. Plus he seemed to have suffered from a bit of amnesia. But what can you expect, I mean the guy fell into shadow a fought the Balrog of Morgoth to death.

Tired Hiker
Ooops, Maikahyandowen, my bad. You were talking about Saruman, weren't you.
embarrasment

sauron
indded we were lol

but still, im sure he was of many colours wasnt he?

nazgulinthedark
haha, gandalf would win

shaber
Gandalf the White would win easily, but I doubt Gandalf the Grey would have been assured victory: look at how easily Saruman of Many Colours dealt with him.

The Unknown
Voldemort would win. All he'd have to do is apparate whenever Gandalf uses magic and then catch by surpise with the Death Spell.

sauron
omg no he wouldnt, voldemort would stand not a chance, gandalf would destroy him,

i thik gandalf the grey would win aswell as he does amazing things as a grey

The Unknown
How can Gandalf kill him if he can't catch him? He'd just have to apparate behind Gandalf and blast him with the Death Spell.

shaber
Gandalf the White is very perceptive. Even as Gandalf the Grey he could see the spirit world as he is a Maiar. Voldemort is a mortal. Gandalf would be able to see the dimension through which Voldemort travels.

sauron
right, voldemort lieks to show off, we all know that, he always has his death eaters about him when doing some important evil thing

but gandalf, he has on his side the valar, and illuvatar (god)

now who would win that, plus gandalf would never die by one of voldemorts death spells, think back harry potter book five, mad eye moody says, the aveda kedaveda curse needs some real power behind it, all you could point your wands at me and yell the words and youd be lucky if i got a nosebleed, now, gandalfs power FFFFAAAARRRRR outreaches voldemorts, the spell would not effect him much, if at all

sauron
book four i mean

not five FOUR

The Unknown
Yes, power behind it. Harry and the others were weak wizards and weren't used to using the spell. Voldemort, however, is used to using the spell and is very powerful. Gandalf being powerful has nothing to do with it. And even if it doesn't kill Gandalf, Voldemort could just turn him into a rock or insect and crush him.

shaber
I imagine Maiar aren't so easy to manipulate that way. Even Gandalf would not be so dependant on his flesh as a Harry Potter world wizard. Normally Maiar wear their flesh as a mere garment, but the wizards are more hampered by it than usual; this handicap was implemented deliberately by the Valar in council with Eru.

To be skilled with an Unforgiveable Curse, a wizard has "to MEAN them, to want to cause pain (or control, or death) to ENJOY it."

Harry could not use the Cruciatus Curse because he is not perverted like Umbridge is.

The Unknown
While on Middle Earth, Gandalf and Saruman are mortal, which is why Saruman is easily killed by Grima. If Gandalf's body dies, he dies. Voldemort enjoys killing people. So he could easily kill Gandalf. He could use a blinding spell, or something to distract him, apparate behind him, then kill him.

sauron
yes, but gandaf i dont think would be too easy to turn into a rock or insect, and gandalf could do the same to voldemort,

The Unknown
I doubt that Gandalf's powers work that way. He's never shown doing anything like that. He's only used his powers to attack, such as against the orcs and Balrog. I don't think he can transform or manifest things.

hotsauce6548
yeah i think volemort would win

sauron
he never uses his full power in the books, also if harry was a weak wizard and he has thwarted volde about 3 times then volde cant be too good a wizard can he, sure hes powerful, but as far as wits intelligence and cunning go hes at the shallow end

shaber
Voldemort always overlooks small, but crucial details.

LegolasIsMyMan
Gandalf would kick Voldermorts rear end, i mean he would kill him so quick that your head would spin!!! there is no question to who would win, gosh, that would be very entertaining to see, Gandalf kicking Voldermorts butt!!!!!!!!!!

sauron
i know, but some people cannot accept that, i mean ive been trying to get it across to SOME of them that gany would win but they will not hear any of it

The Unknown
The reason that Voldemort was defeated by Harry the first time was because of love. The second time, the spell of love was still active. The third time, it was because their wands were brothers. Harry is still a weak wizard. Voldemort would win. Gandalf is in a mortal body, Voldemort is not. He's gone through many transformations and could possibly be immune to some magicks.

The Unknown
And how do you know that we haven't seen all of Gandalf's power? I agree that in Gandalf's true form, Voldemort wouldn't stand a chance, but since Gandalf is mortal, his powers are limited. Voldemort would kill him.

nephalim27
You think Voldemort could have beat a Balrog? HA! And Gandalf the Grey managed to do it. It's no contest.

sauron
and also read the silmarillion it tells how he doesnt use his full powers, he is not allowed too

he could basically destrot middle earth or at least most of it if he wanted, but was forbidden to use his full powere incase of this, plus some of the spells gandalf does cannot be done by voldemort, and p.s voldemort is human, harrys human blood, see

The Unknown
nephalim27, did you also notice that he died against the Balrog?

If he's forbidden to use his powers, then Voldemort would win...
And Voldemort has magic that Gandalf doesn't have.

Voldemort is only part human. Gandalf has a full human body.

Maikahyandowen
he came back after the whole balrog thing. and besides, gandalf and voldemort are both powerful, but in differant ways. they are from differant worlds, so it's kinda hatd to tell what effect they would have on each other. Voldemort likes using his powers to hurt people, but gandalf doesn't, so what would happen in a duel between the two? voldemort could try to zap him with a hex or something, but gandalf is beyond little death hexes. he'd blow voldemort into the next year.

sauron
no he isnt forbidden to use his powers, just not his FULL power, and he can in only extreme circumstances as if his life is in danger

Maikahyandowen
i found pics of the ROTK premiere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go gandalf.

sauron
erm theunknown what powers does voldemort have gandalf doesnt,

go gandalf, look here he is with his pimp ass hat he ALWAYS has

The Unknown
Apparation, instant death spell, Imperio, Crucio, altering, materializing, etc.
The only things Gandalf is seen doing is freeing Theoden and attacking.

sauron
aha

the only things gandalf are SEEN doing, i have told you, gandalf has powers that none sacve illuvatar manwe and himself know of

The Unknown
Well that doesn't make sense, seeing as he would have used those powers multiple times through the books...

Maikahyandowen
he got taken prisoner by the witch king in the hobbit, and he just barely escaped, but he didn't say HOW, did he? just because voldemort flaunts his power all the time, doesn't mean Gandalf needs to.

sauron
no, because he needs to let the people of middle earth fight their one battles, take care of themselves, as if he protected them all the time, when he leaves (his time was the third age) middle earths people wouldnt know what to do, be just gives them a little assistance

sauron
plus gandalf openly defies sauron, he escaped the witch king, he takes on thousands of orc alone, now could voldemort do that, i dont think so

sauron
voldemort was defeated by a baby, whats that that baby had a protection spell on him from his mothers love, well gandalf has protection laid on him by illuvatar, that is how he can come back to life after he dies

nephalim27
Gandalf came back to life after he died because Illuvatar wished it so, and he became white, being "Saruman as he should have been."

Saruman, BTW, was white, but became many colors at some point.

Let's not forget also that Gandalf bears the Elven Ring of Fire.

sauron
weilder of the flame of anor

would kick voldemorts ASS

The Unknown
Actually, yes, Voldemort could easily take on thousands of Orcs. He could just use the spell to slow down time around the Orcs and blast them with a death spell, or do a number of different things...

Maikahyandowen
i highylydoubt that voldemort could do anything more dramatic than sneeze on thousands of orcs before they tear him to pieces. besides, gandalf took on a balrog. voldemort couldn't do that in his wildest dreams.

sauron
no matter how slow he made time he would never kill all those orcs of which we are talking about, plus the dragons, no spell or soword bow can peirce there armour

so what would he do there

The Unknown
Uh, what dragons are you talking about? And it seems that you keep forgetting that Voldemort can apparate. If orcs got too close, he can simply teleport to safety and continue to kill them.

Maikahyandowen
soooo he would apparate because he's too much of a coward to face them head on? when's the last time you read the hobbit? a dragon would eat oldemort for breakfast.

The Unknown
Uh, apparating like that is called "dodging", not being a coward, and Gandalf didn't fight the Orcs by himself...notice the GIANT ARMY behind him...

Maikahyandowen
oh, of course...... and in the hobbit when he faught the goblins and wargs he had a huge army too.... oh wait, HE DIDN'T!!!!!!

sauron
oh yeah unknown of course in the hobbit where he had nine dwarves with him, and the massive non exsistand army in silmariliion so in othere words he hardly had anyone to help him

plus gandalf didnt apparate, he cant, he took them on head on, and won, if voldemort cannot do that then gandalf is stronger

The Unknown
I wasn't talking about in the Hobbit, I thought that you were talking about Helm's Deep, my apologies. And besides, Voldemort can only be killed by either Harry or Neville...

Maikahyandowen
corretion. harry. if voldemort had a duel face to face with gandalf gandalf woudn't even have to break a sweat to blow him to pieces.

nephalim27
It'll probably go something like this:

*Voldemort pulls out his wand*
*Voldemort gets sliced in two*

Voldemort's head: Hey....that's...cheating...

*The End*

sauron
voldemort: lets bow
*gandalf does not*
voldemort: i said bow, *uses spell to make gandalf bow, no effect* ah aveda keda.....*dead*

The Unknown
No, it may be either Neville or Harry that are the only ones to kill Voldemort, meaning Gandalf wouldn't be able to.

sauron
yeah but thats a technicality subsideing in only one book, rules like that are cast aside in duesl like this as that would be wholly unfair

The Unknown
Voldemort could easily just use a disarming spell, then use the summoning spell to steal Gandalf's staff and then easily kill him. And if Gandalf used magic, Voldemort could just apparate out of the way and trick him.

sauron
right, about the apperating, gandalf can see spirit world, earlier explaine
gandalf has only been defeated twice once by sauron and once by saruman, both higher in power than him and he still escaped

gandalf doesnt need to say long pointless words to cast a spell like abracadabrliucioflagomuffun just for a simple death spell, so he ould fry volde in mid sentence

its_magic
gandalf dosnt have practicle magic like u seem to think sauron each wizards power is unique to themselves gandalf power is best used in the wild as he has control over alot of the creatures in middle wheres as voldemort he does have the famous hocus pocus and in harry potter they have a charm for everthing, so soon as gandalf losers his staff he is practilcly human useless, so he got no chance against voledmort.

sauron

The Unknown
Uh, apparating doesn't take a person to the spirit world... they just instantly teleport. And as you said, Gandalf needs his staff to perform a lot of his magic, so once he loses it, most of his powerful magic is gone.

Maikahyandowen
we don't know just how much he needs that staff of his. having Glamdring wouldn't hurt to have either. half of Voldy goes this way...... half of Voldy goes that way.......

The Unknown
At least with Gandalf the Grey, he needs the staff for most of his power, which is probably why he lost to Saruman so easily after his staff was taken.

ElvenQueen
Gandalf...cause hes just so awesome.

Julie
gandalf

The Unknown
Actually, Voldemort would win.

1. He can apparate, easily dodging any of Gandalf's attacks.
2. Gandalf is pretty much powerless, though he can do some magic, without his staff. All Voldemort would have to do is use the disarming spell and blast Gandalf with the death spell.
3. Gandalf has a mortal human/human-like body, however Voldemort does not.
4. To perform difficult spells, such as controlling someone, Gandalf would need deep concentration, unlike with Voldemort, who can instantly do a spell.
5. Voldmort can only be killed by Neville/Harry.

Voldemort definitely would win. Even though Gandalf is cool, it doesn't mean that he stands a chance against Voldemort.

Maikahyandowen
You don't know what kind of a body Voldy has. and besides, you're forgetting the cardinal rule about bad guy versus good guy: GOOD GUY ALWAYS WINS. duhhhhh. and gandalf is quite obviously the good guy. and he only lost to sauruman that time because at the time, sauruman was a slightly more powerful wizard than him. Voldy is not.

sauron
saruman was head of the order and was white, gandalf lost because he was superior to him, did you even read my last post

Gandalf wandered widely in Middle-earth, and learned much of its races and peoples. Unlike his fellow Wizards Saruman and Radagast, he never settled in a single place. He was instrumental in the victory of the War of the Ring, but during that conflict he battled with a Balrog, and though he was ultimately victorious, his spirit left his body, but was sent back to Middle-earth to complete his task.

Gandalf finally left Middle-earth in 3021 (Third Age), when he departed over the sea with the Ring-bearers

The Magic of Gandalf
Tolkien at no point defines what the limits of Gandalf's magic were. As a Maia, he had many natural abilities that would seem magical to mortal races, but he also had a great store of knowledge of more 'mechanical' magic, worked through spells and incantations, and especially through the agency of his staff. It is clear that he had far greater power, especially after his return as Gandalf the White, than he ever displayed in Middle-earth.
His magical powers seem to be particularly associated with fire, a fact that is perhaps related to the Ring of Fire, Narya, that he bore.

^^how is he powerless, unknown have you even read any tokien, plus you really think a disarming spell would work on gandalf, plus he has narya

Julie
ok...if Voldermort's destined to be bested by a kid like Harry...then I believe Gandalf wins hands down

Maikahyandowen
HAHA! she has a point there. Gandalf's never lost to a kid, and Voldy's lost 5 TIMES.

Julie
ouch....poor Vol.....that's gotta take something out of the old pride

Maikahyandowen
i don't think it has. yet.......

Julie
just you wait.....a few hit to the pride like that....and something's gotta give roll eyes (sarcastic)

The Unknown
Exactly when did he lose 5 times? He hasn't lost to Harry yet...

1. Separated from body because of Lily Potter, not Harry.
2. Could not physically touch Harry so Quirrell died, again, because of Lily, not Harry.
3. Harry ran from Voldemort in GoF.

The only times he's fought the actual Voldemort and lived was because of Lily or when the spirits emerged in GoF.

And as said "Tolkien at no point defines what the limits of Gandalf's magic were", that doesn't mean he's almighty, his limits are never said. His powers strongest powers in his mortal body may be just a little stronger than what he has shown.

Maikahyandowen
almighty might give you an idea, i think. and he did lose to harry. lily is just a sort of shield for him.

sauron
well voldy IS going to lose to harry, or even worse neville.

gandalf full power is never shown as it would be disastrous i mean come on his powers are limitless, that is why they are not shown to the full tolkien knew no words he could write would be able to explain properly gandalfs powers

Lord Ryugen
I've never read the LOTR books so I have go by movie standerds. This means Voldermort would win since movie Gandalf can only make fire works or use the force. (Don't believe me watch the Gandalf and Saruman fight in the Fellowship)

Maikahyandowen
good guys always win. and gandalf is soooo much more powerful than Voldy ever was.

The Unknown
I know they don't always go by the book in movies, but if Gandalf's so powerful, why didn't he just take out the army when attacking Minas Tirith(sp?)? And Maikahyandowen, he didn't lose to Harry. Harry had nothing to do with it, Lily put the spell on him.

sauron
lord ryugen you havent read the books, youve seen the films his magic is far more powerful in the books than in the movies

sauron
ive said why he never destroyes sauron before, they are both maia and it would be perilous for him to try as he may lose, and who then would protect middle earth. he is like a guardian, he makes sure dark forces dont win but he lets people fight on there own, otherwise they would become dependant on him, and when he left they would be dismayed

The Unknown
Anyways, as soon as Gandalf would move his staff, Voldy would easily apparate behind him and nail him with the instant, unstoppable death spell.

ravenclaw_guy
I am ewally sure that Voldemort would win, not just because I really like Harry Potter, but because Gandalf the White is very powerful but he would really have to chant a lot of magick just to hurt Voldemort whereas Voldemort has got Avada Kedavra, just two words, not long hard complicated words. Yes Avada Kedavra does take a lot of power, but Voldemort can do it with a wave of his wand, almosyt lazily. Yes Voldemort would win because he wouldn't have to mutter all the complicated magick.

sauron
will yuou shut the **** up about apparating man, gandalf doesnt have to move his staff, if it even looked as though gandalf would lose illuvatar would fry voldy

The Unknown
This thread is whether Voldy or Gandalf would win, so Illuvatar has nothing to do with this. And why stop talking about apparating, maybe because I prove a point?

Maikahyandowen
lily didn't " put" the spell on harry. and, as i said, it is mearly a shield for him, not unlike kthe one Voldy used when he was fighting Dumbledore. if he's so powerful, why does he need a shield?

The Unknown
It's a spell, and it's never said if she did or not, she may have said it as he killed James, and even if she didn't, Harry had no willing part in it, so Harry never "defeated" Voldy. And I don't remember him using a shield, though you're probably right, but he used it because Dumbledore could possibly be as or stronger than Voldemort. Dumbledore would be like a stronger Saruman to Gandalf.

But anyways, the question asked was who would win, and it would probably be Voldy because he can apparate, Gandalf can't. And as ravenclaw_guy said, it would probably take Gandalf concentration or a spell, yet Voldy can do it in an instant. And besides, prophecy-wise, Gandalf can't kill him. Even though Gandalf theoretically has immense power, it doesn't mean he can do things that Voldy can. I doubt he can materialize things or say turn a person into a rabbit. That's all Voldy would have to do to Gandalf, lol.

tombombadil155
Ok first of all Gandalf is basically more powerful than a demi-god, and on the other hand you have this dumbass that is constantly foiled by some prepubscent douche bag with a shitty magic wand, guess which one is going to win. Apparently the harry potter guy is an alterater, but Gandalf could basically cast any spell he damn well pleases, and if he ever was defeated he would just come back and start fighting becauses hes crazy like that. Also Gandalf just does whatever spell when he wants to, people in harry potter land always have some 20 page riddle to recite, leaving themselves quite vulnerable. But in the end we can all agree Tom Bombadil would roll up on them with his yellow boots and blue pimp hat, when they were fighting and the harry potter dude would be like I'm so ****ing cool your gonna die, and cast time stop , and Tom would sit there for a second and the dude from harry potter would eventually commit suicide because Bombadil would be hmmm, thats quite uninteresting.

sauron
lol EXACTLY

plus in harry potter, when harry is going to duel with draco he needs a second or something incase one of you dies, well gandalfs second could be the witch king, no man can kill him so voldy would not stand a chance, be a wizard but so was gandalf and he and dont say voldy isnt a man , he may couldnt defeat him, voldy may be powerful BUT he has a penis, hes a man

heen68
Lord voldemort is just human who learnt magic but Gandalf is magic. Also he is not human. As it says in the book he is a more powerful being than any mortal, and has been sent to help men.

The Unknown
tombombadil155, so I'm guessing that imperio and accio are twenty pages. The longest spell is like six-syllables. Yeah, it really leaves them vulnerable... And when has Voldy "constantly" been defeated by Harry? The first time was because of Lily, as was the second time. The third time was because copies of the spirits of people who Voldy had killed helped Harry escape. The fourth time Dumbledore and all the other wizards arrived and Voldy had to leave. Even though he's powerful, a large group of wizards could still possibly beat him, as the same with Gandalf. And where is it ever shown Gandalf turning a rock into a bird or instantly killing someone?

sauron and heen68, Voldy IS NOT HUMAN. It states in the books, he's gone through many transformations, plus the final one, where he is resurrected into snakelike-creature's body. Gandalf may not be human, but he's in a mortal body, meaning he can die. And Voldy is also magic, he was born a wizard, and wizards have power w/o their wand...

sauron
no without his wand voldy is powerless, and he is a man, male is his sex. and gandalf has been shown many a time instantly killing

Kai_Haider
There is a difference between being magic and being born with the ability to use magic it you have a stick!!!

The Unknown
sauron, I haven't read the Hobbit, so if you're talking about him doing so in that, please tell me a Page Number. And even though Voldy is male, he is no longer human. And wizards do have limited power w/o their wands, such as Harry did before going to Hogwarts.

Kai_Haider, no, wizards in HP are born magic and use magic w/o their wands (as shown above), but to do complex spells, they need wands to focus their powers through, just as Gandalf.

Kai_Haider
...yeah sticks with a feather in them...and their born with some magical power like making glass diapear or talking to a snake...big whop.
They aren't magic they just can use it...

Kai_Haider
And he's still human he just did a ton of shit so he can't die...

The Unknown
No, his spirit was separated from his body and was brought back into another, non-human body. And though they need wands, they're still magical, which is why only wizards can see dementors and other things, but w/o their wands, they can still apparate or like Neville, merely bounce off the ground when dropped from a high place. And like Harry, have your hair grow back after it's cut, or have your Aunt inflate and float to the ceiling. If Harry could do that, not yet able to use the full extent of his powers, then think of what Voldy could easily do w/o his wand.

BOPRecruit 16
i think gandalf would win because he has more years of experience and knowledge in battle and magic.

The Unknown
Gandalf's magic wouldn't hurt Voldy, cause Gandalf wouldn't be able to catch him because of apparation. All Voldy would have to do is apparate behind him and then hit him with the death spell or use a banishing spell on his staff.

Kai_Haider
Apparation doesn't have shit on Gandalf!!! Unless Gandalf didn't know about it...

Tired Hiker
C'mon, Gandalf has no time for petty tricks.

sauron
man that apparating and death spell are pissing me off here lol, gandalf magic is more complex than voldemorts, voldy just sends beams that can do different things, gandalf can summon up power from the earth and do illuvatars will he can do anything he damn well wants, because he is an istari, a step down and just a tiny bit less powerful that the maia, sauron himself was a maia and he could bend the earth and weather to his will, so think of what gandy can do, PLUS voldy was totally based on sauron, the name (dark lord) the fact they have both been separated from there body and needed a certain something to get it back......

potter is blatant frodo rip off too, the small one, the one with least chance of success becomes the hero, i smell a lawsuit lol

Kai_Haider
LoL

Maikahyandowen
what a fun arguement this is turning out to be...............

The Unknown
Yeah, you're probably right about them being based on LotR characters, like the dementors and Nazgul, Shelob and Aerog(sp?).

Anyways, since Gandalf is in a mortal body, his power is limited. And to do something such as controlling weather or complex things, he needs to have complete concentration, yet with Voldy, he just has to say Imperio and has control of someone.

Kai_Haider
You can fight off Imperio so what does that have to do with anything, I doubt it would even slow down Gandalf.

The Unknown
I didn't say he would use it on Gandalf, I was just saying that it takes concentration for a LotR wizard to use mind control, yet for someone like Voldy, they can instantly do it, meaning that complex spells would take Gandalf concentration and time, but for Voldy, he can do them instantly.

sauron
gandalf cannot use mind control, he wont need it so thats ok, he would need time to turn weather his way, but he doesnt need that either. but just trust me gandalf could use the full extent of his powers in a mortal body, but only in extreme situation, when there is no other choice

The Unknown
Gandalf could probably use mind control, like Saruman did, but anyways...

For Gandalf to use a powerful spell, he'd need time, but Voldy could just instantly banish Gandalf's staff.

sauron
well even if he did gandalf could take voldys wand without his staff, (see fotr, saruman) and dont say saruman is more powerful, because according to this thread gandalf is white

The Unknown
No, I was just saying that if Saruman could use mind control, then Gandalf could. How could Gandalf take his wand w/o his staff, I can't remember.

sauron
well anyway im not sure if he could, to take gandalfs saruman just holds out his hand, but he is head of the order so i think he has power over their staffs, i think voldy and gandy both excell each other in different areas

The Unknown
Yeah, they outmatch each other in different areas, like even though Voldy can apparate, Gandalf may sense where is, and Voldy can use spells in an instant, but Gandalf can't, so let's just leave it at that.

sauron
LOL big grin 5 pages of arguing we have finally agreed

The Unknown
Lol, yep.

sauron
oh well, unknown would you kindy go into the "who would you join" thread, and help me aqua and raven

Patronus
Gandalf and Dumbledore are very similar. Both of them are very calm and careful with how they use their magic, and they don't take it for granted. This is why Gandalf would beat Voldemort. Voldemort's weakness is he abuses his talents. This is why he was conquered by baby Harry in the first place. Voldemort can apparate all he wants, Gandalf would win easy. But forget this matchup. The one I'd like to see is Gandalf vs. Dumbledore...now that one I'd have to think about.

The Unknown
He was defeated when Harry was a baby because of the magic of Lily's love, not because he abused his power. And exactly how could Gandalf win if he can't catch Voldy? But anyways, I don't want to start this back up again, and Gandalf vs. Dumbledore would be the same as G vs. V.

tombombadil155
Ok so lets say voldemort apparates, which lets say gandalf doesn't or can't for some ungodly reason, and lets say he does hit gandalf with a "death spell", lets say in this instance gandalf doesn't or can't do the same for some ungodly reason... lets just say he did, did all those things at the same time and Gandalf was standing there completely oblivious to these actions, you know what would happen... gandalf comes back and is all like suck my testicles I'm back because god is down with me, oh what didn't you know I could come back to life you ****ing ****.

Then lets say voldemort casted another spell afterwards, you know what would happen then... Tom Bombadil would roll up beside him and be like fool, check yourself before you wreck yourself cause magic it don't exist ****... and voldemort would become so pissed and emotional that he would dive off a cliff and kill himself because his life long dream of becomming an oppresed and beaten familiar of a 13 year old boy would no longer be a viable life choice. Then Tom and Gandalf would drive to Wendy's for a burger and hang out... Sam, Treebeard, and a few others can come too.

Pipage558
Gandalf the White would win of course! He is way stronger than Voldermort!

Candy
hey, thats difficult because that are different stories. Lord Voldermort is powerful, of corze. but i think the bright magic of gandalf the white is more powerful, becorze in TLotR there more powerful and anything. i dont know how to say... gandalf fights against more, and darker people... voldermort wants only to kill the mudbloods, sauron wants to kill the whole earth...

Patronus
What I meant when I said "abusing his powers" was that he does not think about every consequence before he uses his magic. This is the way Gandalf and Dumbledore behave. Voldemort didn't even consider the consequences of trying to kill Harry. He mentioned in the 4th book that he knew about the sacrifice magic, but he didn't consider it before killing Harry. This is how he abuses his magic.

The Unknown
Patronus, that's not abusing magic. He was merely being stupid.

tombombadil155, if Gandalf dies and is sent back to life, then Voldy wins, cause Gandalf was defeated. And besides, no other person is allowed to interfere in something like this, so Gandalf can't be sent back.

sauron
no not really because he merely died, he was not defeated, to be defeated is to have no chance of return, plus illuvatar created the earth, he created voldy and everyone in hps world aswell, so he can do whatever he likes

sauron
because jk rowling states that wizards live today, we just dont know, well hidden you see, and jrr tolkien says that lotr actually happened on this earth and currently we are in the 6-7 age, sooooo they are both from the same world

The Unknown
Sauron, as you said, things like that don't apply in something like this. big grin

Galadir
Okay although Voldemort may have this magical appearing disappearing thing and his instant death whatever spell, Gandalf in his White form would win. He has many allies that give him strength and many powers beyond Voldemort's. And although he hasn't revealed his potential true power, he definately posesses it. Wielding both Glamdring and his staff and Narya he would turn Voldemort to dust.

The Unknown
Stuff like allies and Narya don't affect outcomes like this. This is only Voldy against Gandalf.

Venom31096
I am still backing gandalf. smile

Galadir
What I'm saying is Gandalf armed with Narya, Glamdring, and his white wizard powers will be more than enough to defeat Voldemort armed with his magic spells.
Besides if this is only Voldy against Gandalf without using any of their powers (like Gandalf's Narya) then it would rule out Vold's spells anyway. dont get me wrong it would be a close fight all right
haha the MTV matrix thing is hilarious (highway crossing frog)

The Unknown
No, I meant other things, like the ring and resurrection for Gandalf and the prophecy about Voldy. Those things don't count. Their magic counts.

Galadir
Okay just using spells and magic against each other does involve Narya then. I mean the ring itself has power, right? And even if Gandalf lost his staff he would still have Glamdring, a MAGICAL sword, but Voldy without his wand is nothing!

Darth Bandon
Gandalf would win, no contest.

The Unknown
This is just them against each other w/o other objects except their original source of power, such as Gandalf's staff and Voldy's wand, not swords, rings, or stuff like that. And Voldy does have magic w/o his wand, just like other wizards in HP do.

Galadir
Wait are you the one who starting this topic? If this is one on one I would think each one would be armed with what they are always armed with. Ask the guy who started this.

The Unknown
He just asked who would win, but sauron stated that things like that don't count, so I'm following that guideline.

sauron
no i stated things from diferent worlds dont count such as illuvatr helping gandy and all that

BUT according to tolkien lotr happened in this world some 10 000 years ago

and acording to rowling wizards hogwarts and all the jazz happen now-a-days too, so they are from the same world so illuvatar COULD help gandy

Maikahyandowen
as i recall, gandalf defeated a balrog with nought but a sword. when's the last time Voldy did something like that?

Kai_Haider
Gandy had a staff too stick out tongue

The Unknown
If Illuvatar can help Gandalf, then the Prophecy counts, too, meaning Gandalf cannot kill Voldy. If it's anything goes, then it would be a tie.

cheney
well even though gandalf is all powerful and he did defeat a balrog voldemort really cant be killed yknow like every time he just sort of becomes really weak and he also has that handy little one hit kill spell that lupin teaches the kids about in defence against the dark arts

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>