The Official Episode-I DVD Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ratcat
To paraphrase Palpatine, "This is an unexpected move for him." Scenes restored to the narrative, enhanced and extended scenes in the Episode-I DVD. It's the Original Trilogy Special Edition all over again. Will this be George Lucas's final and definitive vision of Star Wars Episode-I: The Phantom Menace?

We all knew that there would be 7 deleted scenes featured on the Episode-I DVD, but hot news today from The Official Star Wars Website and TheForce.Net tells us that some of those scenes have actually not just been added to the extras but are actually included in run of the film itself.

Now I REALLY can't wait for October 15th!!!!

(Full story at SWMovies.Net)

yerssot
No, there is said that there will be an archieval edition in 2006, that would maybe be the last edition

LanceWindu
I can't wait til I get the DVD when it comes out in the U.S.

Ratcat
That's pure theory by TF.N...

What was said was that affter Episode-III and a DVD release for that in 2006ish THEN they would go back and do the OT...

King Jedi
I'm a bit worried about the DVD now. The scenes were cut out for a reason. Probably to just reduce the length of the film but it's worried me a bit.

yerssot
Got it Ratcat.

KJ, it's for making more money, probably for making ep II and III. But what I know about the DVD is that there are some scenes that I think would be a very good extension. Like the podrace-sequences. That was the only flaw in the trilogy, so I find it very good that there are some new features that will make the podrace better so I don't have to fastforward it.

King Jedi
What is for making more money?

And the pod race doesn't need to be any longer.

LanceWindu
Personally I think that the podrace sequence was too short. Especially the 2nd lap that they add on to with the extra footage.

Ushgarak
Good Lord, no, a longer pod race would cripple that film...

Texas
Truthfully, I could of done with a shorter pod race roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
Guess not everyone is thrilled with the podrace, I think they made new footage of this, so more people would like it

King Jedi
It was fine the way it was.

yerssot
To be honest, it sucked! I hope that the new scenes will lift it up; let's hope and see

King Jedi
Why did it suck?

yerssot
It doesn't do anything to the movie. They freed Annakin and they received the hyperdrive, ok.
But what was shown, QGJ said that podraces were very fast and very dangerous. From what I saw, even little boys can do that. The sequence was to short for being a major part of the movie, and for that I didn't liked it. It had importance to the movie, but it wasn't good, look at the fx for the drivers, certainly now with the new footage, they draw a figure and it was ok, they didn't think about it.

King Jedi
It's one of the best and most complicated FX sequences ILM have ever done. I thought it looked great.
I don't like races in films because you normally know who is going to win but the pod race was something else.

Only two of the racers finished, which is pretty dangerous.

yerssot
If you read the database you'll know that there are more than 5 who finished.
I'm talking about the fx that involved the DRIVERS not the pods.
The drivers are really stupid made, and the fx doesn't change a thing

King Jedi
We only saw TWO racers finish.
The FX were amazing.

yerssot
I know you only saw that.
And I'm ALWAYS very sceptic about fx; and STILL I don't think that the fx are good.
Look at the faces, the colors, the rocks at that moment...
I for one, don't think it's that good.

King Jedi
I find that amazing.

Yerrsot the rocks were REAL. They built a model track and the flew the camera through it.

TPM took a battering from the critics but I never heard any of them complain about the fx. If anything it was the fx that was being praised.

yerssot
Don't know about the rocks being real but I meant that the colors of the drivers and the colors of the alliens, somethimes there are little colors on the rocks, like someone misput there pencil, little dots of orange (sebulbas pod) and a lot of blue (annakin) That's whats bothering me espaccially

Ushgarak
I found the Pod Race rather uninspired, but competent and good enough to pass the time. Anakin's pod was SO much better as to be ridiculous, though...

But it certainly did not need to be any longer!

BTW, we didn't see many of the pods destroyed so we can assume that they finished safely.

queeq
I always like the pod race scene. Funny enough, when I saw the shortened version in TPE, it did not strike me as very coherent. I have to watch it again, but I do think I prefer the longer original version.

The thing I disliked about it, is that the proceeds of the race is very predictable. And Anakin's and Sebulba's pod getting hooked was an exact repetition of the Speeder Bike race in ROTJ. There were several such thing in TPM that copies events from the OT, as if GL ran out of imagination.

King Jedi
I don't like races in films altogether. You always know who is going to win. But you can't argue that ILM did a brilliant job.

Yerrsot I don't know what you mean about the colours. What little dots?confused

Ush you can't assume anything. We only saw two racers finish therefore the canon is that only two racers finished. After the race you saw some of the racers being carried away in strachers but no sign of the pods.

yerssot
I'm talking about when the pods are speeding by, you can see some small dots on the rocks.
Nothing major, but I see such stuff

queeq
Stop smoking that dope then. big grin

Viseus
I'm not a great fan of ep-I at all, but I never had much of a problem with the podrace. I think it looks good, at the very least. And it does look dangerous and difficoult. Kids could definitely not do that. The only reason Anakin had a chance was that he was an extraordinary child prodigy and stronger in the force than anyone else ever.

Actually, I don't think the problem with ep-I lies in any particular part at all. The problem is the big picture. The movie doesn't work very well as a whole. There's just a lot of stuff happening one thing after the other, and there is no sense of continuity and unity in that brings it all together to a single story. That can't be fixed simply by adding or removing scenes.

yerssot
I know the dots are very small, but for some reason I always see such stuff. Don't ask why but it's that way. Like QGJ and Jar Jar tongue, very hard to spot but it's there.

King Jedi
It's you T.V
After you said that Qui-Gon/ Jar Jar's tongue thing I went and watched TPM and there is nothing wrong with it. I can freeze frame my video and Qui-Gon grabs his toungue. Your seeing things. eek!

yerssot
All my 4 tvs??????
don't think so

queeq
You bought them in Belgium, right? evil face

King Jedi
laughing out loud

yerssot
I should have known it!
It's a philips evil face
Now the other 3...

Ratcat
Weblink on DVD is being advertised in the UK as having "Exclusive Episode-II Sneak Previews."
http://www.theforce.net/episode1/newspics/totaldvdep1ad01.jpg

yerssot
Don't believe it.
Are the DVDs the same as the ones seen on SW.com?
I mean with Mauls face on and stuff

Ratcat
That advert came from TF.N, but was from a standee in ASDA supermarkets in the UK.

Then agin, we don't know what "internet preview of Episode-II" means. It could just refer to the Making of videos...

yerssot
They're allready in the stores?

Ratcat
Oh no! Just the standees and POP materials.

yerssot
Than there isn't going to be much about it

Ratcat
That wasn't my point, I was just saying that the POP is advertising the weblink, that's all.

yerssot
I know, but my point was that you get the EpII pics we already saw if you do that, nothing major

queeq
I've ordered my DVD. With a little luck I have it in the weekend prior to official release. evil face

Ratcat
Where from queeq?

queeq
From my local video rental guy. Now, TPM is supposed to come out on OCt 16 right? So chances are that the DVD comes in on Friday or Monday before. I'm pretty sure I can get it one of those days. When I got Hannibal I got it on Friday prior to official release the Monday after.

Ratcat
They might FedEx it in on the Monday. I'm taking the Monday morning off work to get mine, unless HMV do a "Midnight Madness" deal on it.

queeq
But it doesn't come out until Tuesday...

Ratcat
In the UK it is out on Monday.

queeq
Really? Weren't the days of release all synchronised?

yerssot
here I asked for a sooner date but they got restrictions... sad

queeq
Same here. Lucky for me my video store guy doesn't seem to care. Hehehehe. He's only a very small fish when it comes to sales. He has a small stand with DVD's but you can order anything. And with a 17,5 % discount!!! Us Dutchies like that. wink

yerssot
sad
I hate you...

King Jedi

yerssot

King Jedi
And we're getting ours first. big grin

yerssot
Don't push me fly-boy!

queeq
That is cheap. Mine'll be around 17.50 pounds.

King Jedi
What do you think will be the best extra feature on it? I'm really looking forward to the documentry.

yerssot
the 7 deleted scenes!
abd the VHS and stuff-advertisements, they weren't around here

King Jedi
The Duel of the Fates music video as well. big grin

yerssot
yeah! that's also good, but I hope the background will show QGJ, OB1 and Maul fighting

queeq
I read the doc is cool: no talking heads, no voice over. Just 60 minutes of fly-on-the-wall witnessing the making of TPM.

King Jedi
And it's made for adults. big grin

yerssot
So, why are you happy than KJ? big grin

Ratcat
http://website.lineone.net/~dim_rc_fl2001/cap28.jpg
It wasn't Slave 1... stick out tongue

yerssot
how did you get that???

Ratcat
Aha, well there you go...

Actually it came via a link on JediNet.Com

yerssot
ok, guess I was wrong sad

Ratcat
Well, if you like that, how about this...
http://www.episode-2.co.uk/art_grd/ship_compo_003.jpg
That's a Ratcat original composite. wink Won't find that anywhere else. Actually, it is a bit of a rush job, but you get the idea.

yerssot
are you sure? the colors of the houses looks strange

Ratcat
I did say it was a rush job. I just put the house in to cover something up.

I need to do some more work on it today to get the colours in.

I just did it to get the who ship as one image. Gotta do the feet a bit to.

yerssot
so the ship isn't on one whole pic?

Ratcat
No, that image is made up from 3 seperate pieces.

The ships feet we saw previously from StarWars.Com, the Vid cap from Jedinet and the building from another picture.

yerssot
k, can you see the whole ship on the DVD?

Ratcat
I fon't think so, not like that at least. I think it's a pan down shot from the top of the ship to the feet. I haven't actually seen the footage, just these screen caps.

yerssot
so perhaps it could still be Slave 1 evil face

King Jedi
RC that picture is in the new UK magazine although it's very small.

What is it anyway?

Ratcat
That picture is a composite of two others, I haven't seen a new copy of the magazine. The last one I saw was about 6 weeks ago and that image wasn't in it.

I suggest you go look again. If there is a similar one then maybe but I can assure you that the picture I posted on 5th Oct at 9pm was made from a vid cap at JediNet, an image off of SW.C and a 3dMax model of a tatooine building.

The SW.Com image was of the legs with Ani and QGJ running past, the top of the ship was from the JediNet caps.

King Jedi
I'm not implying anything. I don't even know what the picture is.

The magazine has a few pages about the TPM DVD and it shows some of the lost scenes and the picture is there. But it's very small and the right side is cut off so you can only see some of the house.

So what is the picture of?

yerssot
It's a ship that QGJ and Anakin pass on there way to the ship of the queen... notice the little droids on the ship please

Ratcat
Oh KJ, I realised that. smile Noi worries.

Basically the ship is in a "missing scene" from TPM that is on the DVD.

As far as I can work out, the shot pans down from the top of the ship where the little droids are towards the legs, as this happens Ani and QGJ come into view, running or walking passed the ship.

I think this is the ouskirts of Mos Espa, there is a "sand house" on the right but it was cut off so I replaced it with an alternate.

It may be the the scene actually shows the who ship and then closes in on the shot, not sure, I haven't seen it myself yet.

yerssot
still a long time away from it...

Ratcat
What? The DVD, one week and counting... big grin

queeq
I just got the US SW Insider this weekend and I saw these pics in the missing scenes of the DVD. Nice compo, RC, and it too made me think immediately of yerssot's nutty assessment that that was Slave I. big grin

finti
one week....of course I am at that damn army exercise mad mad

yerssot
Hey, nobody said it wasn't Slave I big grin , you had to know that I was wrong...

Ratcat
I stand corrected to KJ too, I found out that the latest UK mag came out this week.

queeq
Of course I know you're wrong. You're always wrong. big grin
But for some weird reason you seem to insist on proof. Well, there you have it.

Ratcat
OK, I have had this DVD for 3 hours now and so far, so good.

The Beginning had me glued to the screen. I really thought it was going to be very boring but it wasn't. There was a lot of insight into how Episode-I was made, covering all the aspects of production.

The best bit was the last scene; George Lucas sitting at a desk with a pencil and paper. He writes.

STAR WARS

Episode-II

Then a couple of shots of him writing and then,

Fade Out

Excellent stuff.

When viewing on a PC ensure that you DON'T use the InterActual Browser to play the DVD's. It really corrupts badly, jumpy and aweful.

Anyway, enjoy!

yerssot
enjoy? enjoying the days that are left...
17 october!!!

queeq
I CAN'T STAND IT, I WANNA HAVE IT TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

How are the cut scenes?

Ratcat
But scenes are good, just found the 2 minute blooper real as well. It's at Ch5tr2.

I love the way they added JarJar in on them. big grin

queeq
I got the Easter Eggs overview. You can get it on the internet anywhere. There are really a LOT of Easter Eggs on it.

yerssot
I heard of someone that included a scene with two robots that ended with them saying: was this good mr GL?

queeq
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH THE HORROR----THE HORROR----HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLPPP

CRAP CRAP CRAP. THe delivery people forgot to deliver the box with SW DVD's to my videostore..... I HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER DAY. I MUST KILL THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yerssot
whoooooooeeeeeeeehooooooooooooeeeeeeee!!!!

that's another 24 hours!!!

queeq
I don't think I can make it.... sad

yerssot
smile smile smile smile
my life is good!

queeq
Too bad it won't last for very long now. evil face

Ratcat
*Falls of chair, laughing hysterically.*

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

sand person no. 10
i concur big grin

Ushgarak
That'll teach you to be able to afford it. I SHOULD have this soon...

sand person no. 10
ah my heart bleeds big grin big grin big grin big grin

queeq
I'll have it tonight..... I still feel like killing the lot. mad

yerssot
I have it NOW! It's GOOD!!!

Ushgarak
The delivery of mine has been delayed by an anthrax scare at the post depot for the country. Damn.

yerssot
there are some strange scenes there:
I mean there are some extra scenes that were deleted, well; with them there are some bad fx; I mean you see when someone is a puppet, when bitmaps are used and stuff!
But it's still VERY GOOD

queeq
EXCELLENT DVD! I've been watching Disc 2 all night. I saw the Easter Egg blooper sequence on Disc 1, and there's also a funny one in the end credits of the Deleted Scenes Documentary.

I must say, maybe not the best film, but definately the best DVD in my collection. THank you, George!

King Jedi
It's the best I have as well. By a mile! MINE WAS 3 DAYS LATE !!! mad

But it was worth it. big grin big grin big grin The Beggining is great and so are the featurettes which I hadn't seen. The most dissapointing thing is some of the effects in the pod race deleted scene. They don't come close to the effects in the rest of the film. But it's still amazing. big grin

yerssot
more racers, better; because otherwhise it gaves the result that there were only a few racers and not a lot

queeq
True, a lot of the effects were not as well finished as they are in the film. I can't blame them really. Finishing touches like that cost a huge amount of money and now we get a pretty good idea what it was supposed to be like.

So TPM IS a Special Edition now after all. One scene added: the Air Taxi scene. And a new quote from JarJar we can use to typify the board ladies: Pitty Hot! big grin

King Jedi
I thought he was talking about the Taxi Driver. stick out tongue

yerssot
he wasn't???

King Jedi
I thought Jake Lloyd was great in TPM but I know some of you don't like him. But you have to be glad that they chose him over the other two that we saw in the documentry. They were terrible!

yerssot
that's you are used to see Lloyd being Anakin

Ratcat
Ya know, it's funny, but when I watched that sequence I actually thought Lloyd was the worst of the three...

King Jedi
confused I thought he was miles better. He was the only one with any "life" to him. The kid with the brown hair just read the lines without any feeling, he was awful.

FireMaster
abouyt the ####### pod race it doesn't need to be longer it needs to be cut

it totaly sucks
redo the entire scene or cut it
thats my opinion
cause I really think that scene failled

EDIT NOTES: Edited to remove bad language. Please do not use bad language in future.

King Jedi
Failed in what way? I don't like chase scenes because you always know what's going to happen but the podrace was still amazing.

FireMaster
well
the first thing that came to mind when I saw a pod racer and the entire pod race is that

the pods look a lot like roman chariots (the pod being the chariot and the engines being the horses)

and the entire race seemed, because of that, to look like the race in ben hur as you movie fans know still considered one of the best scenes ever
well imo they wanted to reinact that in TPM with the pod race

and if that was really their idea it sucked big time

queeq
Good call, FM. THe Podrace was basically an ode or SW remake of the classic Ben Hur chariot race. Hence the roman look.

GL could have left those extra grid shots out for me really. I thought the grid was long enough as it was. Even the deleted scene with the original grid sequence is very very boring. I'm glad they cut that.

I still think they should have left Jira's farewell in the final cut though. Or at least the bit where QGJ cuts down the probe droid. It always bothered me that QGJ and Anakin left the slave quarters walking nice and easy and the next shot we see them they're running!!! And why????? Absolutely unclear. These four or five shots would have made that sequence a lot clearer.

Ratcat
There was an interesting thread in the SW.C forums, started by someone who actually objected to the exhanced scenes on the DVD and took it back for a refund.

He was able to get a refund because he maintained that the DVD was sold using 'False Advertising' because it didn't specify anywhere on the in-store POP or on the case that the presentation was different to the theatrical release. He got his money back.

I am not sure if he really had a case, though it sounds like he may, but it is true that no where does it say that the presentation of the movies has been altered at the point of purchase.

Also, some alterations have never been acknowledged by LFL as of yet.

King Jedi
I don't get that. confused The scenes that were added hardly changed the film. I didn't want anything added but now having seen it I don't mind what they did.

I'm glad the took Trisha Biggar and the other LFL employee out of the Senate scenes.

yerssot
did YOU noticed them if you hadn't got their names?

Ratcat
I'm not sure why they changes the scenes, though on the Orn Free Taa one I do wonder if the change is Episode-II related.

King Jedi
Yes Yerssot I did notice it. I noticed them when I saw TPM at the cinema. It was sooooo obvious that they weren't actors.

I suppose it does make Orn Free Taa more sleazy if he has two Twi-lek girls in his pod.

yerssot
and you also don't like Doug Chiang in the movie?

King Jedi
Rick McCallum and the others weren't acting, they were just standing there.

Ratcat
Doug Chiang was in TPM??? confused

King Jedi
I'm pretty sure he was in the same scenes as Ric McCallum. Palpatine walks past him and some other guards before he tells Anakin that he'll be watching his career. I think.

yerssot
nope;

if you saw the 3 seconds count-down of the podrace... on the top you see 3 persons, the one on the left is Doug Chiang

King Jedi
Any pictures?

yerssot
I haven't seen it online, but watch the video or DVD

Ratcat
You mean the countdown for the start of the race.

I'll check that out, try and get a cap of it.

Texas
I'll worry about Doug Chiang later, I'm still trying to find the bloopers. I tried the 1-5 thing on both my DVD player and on my computer, and it doesn't work sad

Ushgarak
1-5 thing?

yerssot
what is it with the 1138????
I can't do it! Do you have to watch the WHOLE movie first and than after the end credits you have it?

Ushgarak
Nope. Nothing to do with having watched the movie.

It has been said before arouind here, I think. I got there by going to the audio options menu, then typing '11' (ELEVEN, not two ones), enter, '3', enter, '8', enter.

yerssot
oh my god! it's 11? not 1- 1???

Texas
KING JEDI mad
j/k I still love you big grin

King Jedi
Hey, the way I told you is the only way it works for me. I go to the title menu and press "1" and "5". It takes me to title 15 where the bloopers are. It just depends on what type of machine you have. "patience........you must learn patience". stick out tongue

yerssot
so you have 1-5 and 11-3-8?

*mental note: stop taking pills*

King Jedi
1138 doesn't work for me.

yerssot
is that because you have the american-european or japanese version?
I noticed on screenshots the lay-out was totally different...
perhaps that's a reason?

King Jedi
It because DVD machines are different in how they operate. When I tried what it said on Jedinet it just played the movie.

Texas
I've tried all of those and still nothing. I have a SONY DVPNS400D. Does anyone one have a DVD player like mine and has seen the bloopers? I'm desperate sad

yerssot
Philips... let's don't work like we are supposed to be!

Texas
Have you seen the bloopers?

yerssot
NO!

Texas
how embarassing embarrasment

yerssot
FOR PHILIPS

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>