A series of Unfortunate Events

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

crazy_c
Has anyone read them? Are they good? Do you have to read them in order? confused Happy Dance Happy Dance

Schizo_n_me
I don't really like 'em. no sleep

badkittykitty
who is the author? whats the nitty griity of em, whats the genre?

crazy_c
no idea its just about these kidas and a lot of bad stuff happens to them and the endings arent happy either

badkittykitty
lol~ just looked up~The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 1)by Lemony Snicket (Author)
this is one the back of the book! lol!

Dear Reader,
I'm sorry to say that the book you are holding in your hands is extremely unpleasant. It tells an unhappy tale about three very unlucky children. Even though they are charming and clever, the Baudelaire siblings lead lives filled with misery and woe. From the very first page of this book when the children are at the beach and receive terrible news, continuing on through the entire story, disaster lurks at their heels. One might say they are magnets for misfortune.

In this short book alone, the three youngsters encounter a greedy and repulsive villain, itchy clothing, a disastrous fire, a plot to steal their fortune, and cold porridge for breakfast.

It is my sad duty to write down these unpleasant tales, but there is nothing stopping you from putting this book down at once and reading something happy, if you prefer that sort of thing.

With all due respect,
Lemony Snicket

Lord Soth
I think the books are hilarious. Some of the stuff they come up with is incredibly rediculous

badkittykitty
..thats right up my alley I think! laughing out loud

crazy_c
Im gonna get them for christmas

bLooMiLiCioUs
^^^what he saidlaughing they're hilarious!!!

badkittykitty
let us know what you think of them they sound great by what everybody has said! smile

Lord Soth
The thing that makes them so popular is the fact that the author tells you not to read them. When you're told not to do something, you do it. it's human nature

crazy_c
Yeh what a marketing ploy!

Lord Soth
They're ridiculous though. But in a good way big grin

hotsauce6548
i read da first one and didnt like it... but this girl in my class is obssessed wit dem and she jus bought the new one like a month ago

sk8stuff09
theyr cool. im reading the 4th one right now. you proboly haveta read them in order if you wanna understand them properly. most people proboly wouldnt be interested, but i think theyr cool. theyr making a movie off the first one...

tink_53
I LOVE this book series!!! I just finished number ten, but I totally agree with sk8stuff. If ya don`t read `em in order, u will get lost. yes

badkittykitty
i wonder if crazy c got them for christmas and what she thinks of them so far..

shadow_angel
He's an amazing author that writes a series of books called "A Series of Unfortunite Events". They're pretty popular, kinda like Harry Potter books,but a different plot. Anyone know of them?

silver_tears
Book forum stick out tongue

lil bitchiness
ditto wink

burlyman
What the f**k?

shadow_angel
My bad!embarrasment

silver_tears
awwwwwwwww happy although the books are very good yes

burlyman
very very very very bad

shadow_angel
I never even knew there WAS a book forum

silver_tears
laughing out loud an art one too yes

burlyman
and TV

shadow_angel
Whoa.. blink

lil bitchiness
awwwww big grin

burlyman
and theres a forum called Off Topic aswell

silver_tears
no really roll eyes (sarcastic)

shadow_angel
NO WAY!!eek!

burlyman
nah im just kidding, sorry embarrasment

shadow_angel
stick out tongue

Tex
moving...

badkittykitty
if this seems a liitle crazy..I merged the threads..sorry embarrasment

badkittykitty
hey fans I just read this right here on kmc's web site check it out...

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
Starring: Jim Carrey

Director: Barry Sonnenfeld
Studio: Paramount Pictures
Message Boards: Post your comments

Synopsis: The "Snicket" saga revolves around a pint-sized trio of orphans named Sunny, Klaus and Violet who find themselves fobbed off on a series of odd people, including Lemony Snicket, who narrates each of what has grown to a series of eight books since Handler debuted the first title in 1999. Recurring bad guy is a distant family relative named Count Olaf, who initially takes in the kids but clearly is trying to separate them from a family inheritance.

Lord Soth
Yeah, I have some info on this movie in my 2004 Movies thread. The movie comes out this Christmas Eve

no_one_really
Anyone here a fan of Lemony Snicket's books?

(I don't know if there is already a thread for this but if there is oh well)

BloomBabyGirl
theyre ok but iono why theyre makina movie,. theyre not THAT exciting

Anoushka
i've read them.some of the things he comes up with are so ridiculous they're hilarious laughing out loud

BloomBabyGirl
i REALLY dont think the should make a movie

Anoushka
nah.same here.some of it is a bit too draggy and can get rather repetitive.

Lord Soth
Of course, Jim Carrey's in it, so it very well could be good. Not sure how well Carrey could pull off evil, though.

I still have to read The Slippery Slope and the 11th one that just came out

The Unknown
I've read the first one and nearly didn't start reading the second one because of how stupid it was. I gave it a try but stopped reading The Reptile Room halfway through after Olaf came to the house as "Stefano" and the orphans let him into the house, knowing who it was. It's annoying just reading the books because of all the idiotic decisions the orphans make and stupid plots.

peanuthead
i liked them....

crazy_c
I actually didn't.......I forgot all aboot them, so I haven't read them yet......lol embarrasment

Maybe this Christmas stick out tongue

raze reborn
Yeah!like when sunny has to make toast for olaf and the powder faced lady says "is it safe to eat raw toast ?" and he says "of course not !she's trying to poison us!" laughing

Mr Zero
These books are either something you get immediately and will adore, or you'll wonder what the fuss is about. The "hook" for the books is that the "author" lemony snicket advises you to read anything but this tale of woe as he recounts the adventures in a dry sorrowful tone.

The books are not happy, the lives of the protagonists are not cheerful - the villains do not get there just deserts. Bad stuff happens to the Baudelaire children, and when the hour is at it's darkest, things become worse and continue downwards until... the book is over and you have to read the next one in the vain hope that things begin to look up.

It's Edward Gorey for the Potter generation, Black comedy for kids, & I think it's safe to say without a spoiler warning that, things do not begin to look in an upward direction for the Baudelaires. At all.

BadKitty
if you can compare it to edward gorey then I certainly must read 'em!

ash23
their good (good in this place meaning i couldn't put it down and had to read the first book all in one go) big grin

its_all_good
I didnt Like the books...although I have read like 7 of them...I think that they are way too depressing

Filmmaker451
I think they are very good because they have a good sense of adventure. I know it's hard to get into the offbeatness of it all and into a story about orphans but eventually i got into it and I read all 11 books. But there will be more to come devil... Two more(I think) to be more specific.

Yatta_Girl
The books are kinda sad but Lemony Snickets adds too many weird things 4 them to be depressing.
It's funny because everyone they meet are too stupid to see anything that is so obvious to them
Their are so many weird twists and lemony even made up his this name to try and put himself in the plot.

dark1365
I saw the movie and it was excellent. Never read the books though...

Nightwitch
Originally posted by shadow_angel
He's an amazing author that writes a series of books called "A Series of Unfortunite Events". They're pretty popular, kinda like Harry Potter books,but a different plot. Anyone know of them?

Yes i have read them but one that, to any one, u don't want to read the first one then go see the movie because well it combines the first 3 books and it is all mixed up and out of order. I'm really impressed with the plot but the movie gives this series no good Justice. However this is a great book for anyone who likes Harry Potter and Narnia series.

Gen. Grevious
Its got a good plot but is very sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.