Can someone be so kind to answer this TPM ? for me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FLIPMODE
I loved, all Epidsode 4-6, And totally followed them.

Ever since Episode 1 was coming out, I remember on the net (at that time), it's like everyone knew what was going to happen, before it came out. Anyway, I was'nt one of those people. I did'nt fall into Geekdom (NOT FOR THIS MOVIE ANY WAY, I HAVE OTHER THINGS TO BE GEEKY OVER, sw takes too much of your life.)

Anyway, heres my Confusion.

My confusion lies with Sidious, And Palpatine. Now unluckily for me, chatting away on the net prior to the opening, I watched TPM, with the Idea that Palpatine was really Sidious all along. And that Kind of ruined the movie for me, when later on people started to argue that this was not true. Not to mention JarJar.
So what's the deal? Are they the same guy? If not, who's under the hood and where did he come from?

Oh yeah, and by Episode 5, who's the guy in the hood in that movie? Same guy??

Everything else with all the movies, I pretty much follow.

Ushgarak
1. Yes, Palpatine and Sidious are almost certainly are the same person

2. Sidious is the Emperor from the Original trilogy.

3. I'll just move this to the Ep. I and IV-VI area...

queeq
1. and 2. are confirmed by the DVD commentary for all the non believers. GL says on the commentary that Sidious is introduced in in a hologram like he was in ESB, where we see him the first time in the original three movies. So Sidious=Emperor. And that Palpatine is the future Emperor is common knowlegde, so there you are. Proof is finally here for those blind to the obvious.

LanceWindu
And also in 5 they did use someone else to play Palpy. If you read the credits it will all come to you.

ToMacco
I find it amusing how some people take the Star Wars (or any film, for that matter) so seriously. ANd how it is so unimportant to others.

Now, if I was labled a geek about anything, it would be about Star Wars. My buds don't get into it at all. A lot of my friends have seen the original three, then saw TPM with me. And the end of the movie, I had to tell them that Anakin was Darth Vader as a child.

FLIPMODE asked a good question, but at the same time, one that seemed so elementary to most of us.

queeq
OK, it's clear that Lucas didn't want to make the connection obvious. Otherwise he would have, so the Sidious-Palpy conenction is not essential to get the film. But insiders know he is or have been debating about them being one and the same.

The connection Anakin-Vader is a bit odd NOT to get. Vader's real name is mentioned several times in ROTJ. But then, once you see the series starting at Ep1, I'm sure there will be no confusion about Vader being Anakin. Unless you're really daft of course.

FLIPMODE
The young Anakin was basic knowledge for TPM. Im not THAT out of the loop. That would be like, me NOT seeing any of the original movies.

But the sidious/Palpatine thing was definitly not an Important statement shown in TPM. GL would have went more out of his way to make that clear. To the Common folk, he did not want that to be know. Will it be better explain in AOTC? Maybe I should'nt ask, seems like I may get too much info.

P.S.: Why dont palp and sidious even look the same? I tried looking, seemed like a more horrible looking person under the hood. Does he go through some sort of Transformation?

ToMacco
He looks different, because I smacked him around!

Ushgarak
They are actually the same actor, just Ian puts on a nasty sneer in Sidious mode.

While it was by no means made obvious that they are the same person, not a huge amount of effort was made to keep it secret, either.

I have no doubt he will be fully unmaksed in a alter film.

queeq
Yes, I think that was Lucas' plan. I never agreed with it myself, it could have added extra tension to the scenes with the queen. But that's just my HO OC.

And you don't need to get Anakin IS Vader since it's the first story.

peluffo
The John Williams's Score for the emperor is the same used for Darth Sidious, and I think we have there the last clue we needed to know Sidious Is the next Emperor. And in the scripts and novelization of Star Wars (the first, written by GL) he states that the emperor is called Palpatine, from where we can deduce that Sidious=Palpatine=Future emperor.

BTW, I Watch very carefully the scene where Amidala says to palpatine that she will back to naboo, and in the VERY last shoot of Palpatine (where the transition of images rolls up to change the Scene) i think to see a smile in the corner of Palpatine's mouth. I rewinded and see it frame by frame, and i'm pretty sure it is that way, but my eyes may be destroyed for seeing movies to close to TV set!!!stick out tongue

SilentMike
If you check out the interview they did with Ian Mcdiarmid that should clear up all confusion he pretty much says their the same person and that Palpatine is very cunning in masking his true person he really explains all there is to him I found it somewhat amusing that people thought palpatine could be a clone everythings so obvious doh!

yerssot
yeah, well, Darth Sidious IS the emperor: on the DVD GL said that so...

if there is hard proof that DS=Palpa=Emperor than you have it, but it's already accepted, and also on the website...

Gundark
And if George says so.......

yerssot
..he can always say his wrong...

Julie
Flipmode, read some EU...its really good stuff...errr...most of it anyway.

yerssot
jeeeeeuj, ripp offs from the DS... sad

Julie
What that got to do with anything?

yerssot
almost every book I have of SW is about a new superweapon made by some guys that are loyal to the Emperor...

Julie
Ahhh I see. Gotta watch out for those Emperor lackys.

queeq
EU is alright for a bit of fun, but nothing beats the films. problem is, they always ahve to find another real baddie.

Julie
Yes, there seems to be a shortage of really good "bad guys" can GL save us in ATOC?

ToMacco
It doesn't matter what good 'bad guys' are in Attack of the Clones. Obi-wan will kick their ass, like he did Maul's! evil face

queeq
Ask Ush about that. There's a problem with ever badder villains.

yerssot
To, OB1 didn't kicked any ass! He had luck!

Ushgarak
Yes, power inflation for the villains may well become a Star Wars problem. But I'd have to open a thread about it to explain in full, and then people would just say I was moaning...

Gundark
Ah, but yerssot...there's no such thing as luck !

Now if Maul had grabbed Qui-Gon's lightsabre in mid-air as Obi-Wan pulled it to him........

yerssot
In my experience there is no such thing as luck-
that's just bragging! there is luck smile

That's what I'm talking about Gun, Maul can fight against a master and a knight, he can kill the master, he is victorious against the knight, but then, all of a sudden, a stupid move, that could be easily blocked costs him his life, that's luck!

Julie
Luck is part of life....or death as in Maul's case.

yerssot
he was mauled smile

Ushgarak
Obi-Wan didn't believe in luck. So that's certainly not what HE put it down to.

yerssot
come on! Maul is killed by such a stupid move, that's LUCK!

(ok, one of my favorite characters is Maul, but hey!)

Julie
I'll admit that Maul's death was a bit abrupt, but hey it was a very nice force-flip.

Ushgarak
It was arrogance on Maul's part. Typical bad guy fallacy. Thought his opponent was beaten.

Clearly Maul was the better duellist, of course. But his arrogance was his undoing.

Likewise, Obi-Wan failed against Maul when trying to use anger, and beat him when he tried a more thoughtful tactic.

See the sort of moral lessons GL likes to make?

yerssot
anger? that's not used in the movie there...

Ushgarak
Yes it is. Blimey, did you see his face after Qui-Gon died, in the final exchange of blows with Maul?

yerssot
didn't you had another opinion about this all?

hey, I think it's on the official site or something like that
but it goes like this:

movies > novalizations > eu

so if something is said in eu, it can be overdone by novalizations, and that can be overdone by the movies, and in the movies it's not said so, anger was there...

bigsef2
awwwwwwwwwwwwwww that was so bad. wink

bigsef2
wooooooah, what happened there. i was replying to a cheesy joke yesserot made about him being "mauled" now its gone!

Ushgarak
I think it was made clear in the film that Obi-Wan was using anger, yerss.

yerssot
now I'm cheesy???

let's not start on the facial expression again!

yerssot
As he lay dying, Vader ceased to be. Anakin Skywalker returned. He asked his son to remove the cumbersome, fearsome mask that had concealed his face for decades. His mask and life support removed, Anakin looked upon Luke for the first and last time. He then died, his body disappearing into the light side of the Force. Luke burned the dark armor that had encased Anakin's crippled body in a quiet funeral pyre on the forest moon of Endor that night.

Gundark
I thought we were talking about Obi Wan and Maul. I agree with Ush.....Obi Wan was clearly using his anger after Qui Gonn was struck down. Maul was obviously unprepared for the death blow he received by the look of total shock on his face. I think Obi Wan, if he hadn't before, had acheived a new level of control in that duel.

yerssot
sorry, wrong thread

queeq
Wrong board maybe. evil face

yerssot
you mean this is not "bashing Dutchies"???

Julie
Nope...sorry. I heard that "Bashing Dutchies" had been moved....your search lies elsewhere.

yerssot
ow sorry...

well... tadaa!

queeq
Is he gone now? Good...

yerssot
tricked you! big grin

queeq
THis is where I'd normally shoot. You're lucky I like you.

yerssot
you ... like me? eek!

Julie
Close your mouth, Yerssot...ya look dumb like that.

And why does it surprise you to think that someone..namely queeq ...likes you.????

I like you...even though I know practically nothing about you.

Ushgarak
Sweet... but this thread is becoming rather irrelevant. Anything else to add?

Julie
Yeah, i'd like a cheesburger w/ no pickle with that order...

By the way what was the original Ques....I seem to have lost track of it.

yerssot
1) he's probably gay
2) any question about TPM will do fine...

Ushgarak
No it isn;t. It is not the title, it is the subject of the first post that counts.

I'll close this unless we have something else.

yerssot
well, for me they are the same

queeq
That's closing time, methinks.

yerssot
roll eyes (sarcastic)
bragging about your powers again,
well,
heck,
close it then!

queeq
Not mine, this is not my jurisdiction.

yerssot
and it's not over 100 posts smile

queeq
That rule only counts in the GDF.

Ushgarak
Pointless topics get closed regardless; 100 is a good checking place.

This thread has outlived its usefulness...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.