Merovingian: Matrix 1.0 OS?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Omega

The One Himself
Sorry for my bad english but here we go..
In Rld The Oracle says that Merovigian is one of the oldest Matrix programs. We cannot call an operating system a program. An operating system is a layer of call (system calls) to provide communication between hardware and software.

...Windows98 to WindowsXP and keep your stuff, you first have to make a partition of your HD. And that partition does not ALWAYS go away after installing the new operating system....

could you explain a little more, please?

Ahnold
We're being a wee bit technical here, methinks

The One Himself
I am just trying to understand.... cool

Ahnold
I know, sorry! big grin

The Omega

Ahnold
Omega is excused big grin

NVM

The Omega
Ahnold> If you need to get your post-count up, could you try the OT forum, please. Or did you have a question to ask?

The One Himself
No no no big grin

The exact quote is:

He's being held prisoner (about the Keymaker)
by a very dangerous program. . .
. . .one of the oldest of us.
He is called the Merovingian.

Not trying to go deeper in SO's or partitions but I did not understand this part..So the analogy

The Omega
The One Himself> You're right! I forgot about that part.
BUT anything working without a "shell" (machine, robot) can be termed a PROGRAM.

The point is, that I've always wondered why the system didn't just send agents to Mero and company and wipe them out, but only went after the Keymaker when he was no LONGER in the Mero's "possession."
This lead me to the theory of a separate DOMAIN. And comparing to today's computer-systems an old OS could, in principle, live on on a partitioned domain on the HD. Where "it" rules supreme. wink

That could explain why the current system (agents) cannot get to the Mero and his henchmen.
He (The Merovingian) could be something completely different. I'm just making a guess smile

The One Himself
Merovingian is a program but he is a kind of programmer too. I always thought "Merv" and his henchmen were hidden using cryptography in some part of the Matrix....dunno...

sum1butno1
That would sort of explain the guys walking on the ceiling in the coat check, too. I've been wondering about those. But if Merv has his own little domain within the Matrix, he can change things as he so desires. Right?

priestjim
Maybe he was a very low level programmer. And when he became obsolete he had chosen exile. And then, being a programmer, he created his own domain or anything else he wanted. The agents have no power on the Mero. His place is not a part of the Matrix.

The One Himself
Just before Neo, Morpheus and Trin enter Merovingian's restaurant, Morpheus asked Neo:

-What can you see, Neo?
-It's strange. The code is somehow different.
-Encrypted?
-Maybe.

And there, we see a piece of cake in green code just like in the Matrix. So I believe Merv's place is an altered part of the Matrix, encrypted to avoid agents and others intruders not a limbo or something like Mobil Ave. In Mobil Ave Neo has no powers but in the Chateau he easily defeated Merovingian's henchmen.

HexSintax
well actually, an os is a program persay...ive always compared everything in the matrix to the computer world because everytihng is very similiar, i really dont wanna go deep into explanation with out a spring-board :-P....i see where youre going with this Omega, though.

the Mero: could be written in old language ie. machine language (debug) or DOS...or of different encryption than the matrix itself. he could also be a program thats held in a different location, remotely, than the rest of the programs, just like the oracle, architect, etc. the matrix could exist on a different server than the rest so when teh matrix is rebooted, everything else is still backed up ie on Drive D.

ch0g0nda
I'm not even going to try to comprehend what omega is talking about with partitions.

You partition a drive that's already got a file system? No... Sorry unless you get lucky with Partition Magic it just doesn't happen.

As for the data you backed up onto the new partition (assuming you could make it). It would all survive.

Windows is by default installed into the C: directory. Creating a partition (assuming you don't have extra cd drives or hard drives) would leave you with both a C: and D: drive, with the two drives equaling the sum of the original C: drive. When you upgrade from win98 to XP you install over 98 with XP into C: drive. D: drive remains untouched. Under good operating conditions there's never (never ever even) going to be a loss of data on D: drive.

As for the rest of your theory, spot on. It make sense that the Mero could be a part of the Matrix 1.0. It takes more than one program to run an OS, which could explain the oracle (and possibly other, now deleted pgorams). I enjoyed reading your theory as it eliminates any questions I had as to what the Mero could be.

davetheonemende
Mouse - Merv - Similar

Is mouse considered a deleted program? (he was killed in M1)
I have a theory about Merv and Mouse.

Mouse wrote the gatekeeper program (chapter 17 in M1) he states this in chapter 20 of M1.

Here's what i'm getting at; Chapter 20 just baffles me a bit as far as mouse's role in the movie. He too writes programs; he tells neo he wrote the gatekeeper program and inserted the lady in red he also says something Mero like about denying ones impulses; we see this lady in red in the beginning of chapter 23 as well. In revolutions; the lovely Persephone was wearing red too. Damn she's pretty!!!

Anhow; in chapter 20 of M1 He talks to Neo about food; taste; watch this chapter and pay close attention to the dialogue and then watch the restaurant scene in Reloaded and how Mero shows Neo how he makes a woman explode down yonder with this cake program he wrote. His explanation sounds similar to what mouse was getting at in M1 in chapter 20.
Please don't rip on me;
Just thought I'd point it out.

Ahnold
Omega - WHY would I want to get my post count up? I was just commenting that this argument was a bit technical, nothing more. C'mon, you've been a bit short with me for the last few days - no need for that

Mordecai
Mouse was shot, he died.

"the body cannot live without the mind"

Mouse was not a program he was human (as far as we know), humans die.

The Omega

Ahnold
I wish you'd respond to my message. And no, I'm not "increasing my post count"

The Omega

Ushgarak
As ever, I prefer a simple explanation.

I simply think the Mero is a Renegade data acquisition programme.

The Unknown
Edited

The Unknown
It was never said that Neo lost his powers while in Mobil Ave. He just never had a chance to use them...

And maybe the Mero is the program used to partition the Matrix, which would be the chateau?

And in ETM, Sparks says that the chateau's blueprints are all messed up because it has changed so many times, or something like that. And signals cannot be received while inside the mansion. Maybe it's designed so that the chateau and anything in it cannot be detected, which stops the Matrix from finding them.

ch0g0nda
Cool.

Osiris
if we want to go from win98 to winXP, we never want to make a partition on our hard disk

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.