School

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

frootlooplucy
does it ever hit you how school is sometimes a complete, mind numbing waste of time? For example: in nearly every class today we watched a video. We watched Wog Boy in English, something on rainstorms in Geography, and something on the Snowy Mountain Scheme in Science. Nobody lstened to a word of them, or at least they didnt listen to the Geography and Science ones. The only class we did work in was maths, and we did Trigonometry, which in my opinion is not worth even trying to understand.
And thats why school is sometimes a complete, mind numbing waste of time. big grin

Complicated
Up to that point, I would have agreed with you. At least in The States high school is mostly a waste of time in that no standard curriculum will necessarily teach you or require that you learn the skills necessary for you to further your knowledge. I suppose that I still agree with you, since your school won't really require that you get the understanding of trig that you need to further your education. However, the school is there, and it's vital that you understand it doesn't have to be a waste of time.

High school is a stepping stone to your real education - an education you will probably need if you want to accomplish the better things in life. It is what you make of it, and you can make it a lot. Even the dullest crayon in the box can get stellar grades in advanced classes, then proceed to a mediocre school (what I'd call a state school, though I don't know your equivalent) at which they can slack off as much as they want, though still getting a very respectable degree.

Synopsis: High school is a waste, but it's still somehow vital. College is vital, but if you really want you can treat it like the waste high school is and still do alright. We all went through it or will go through it. Hang in there. smile

frootlooplucy
words of wisdomsmile thanks. and its not ALWAYS a waste of time i guess... some of my teachers (well, 2 of them) are pretty good.

Complicated
I feel ya, certainly. I spent most of my high school life in the back of the classroom, reading about things I wasn't in class for, or in a practice room in the band room. I couldn't stand it, but the scholarships and acceptance I got because of my diploma and GPA were sure as hell worth it. smile

It's more of a test of character than anything else. All of life is a test of character. A diploma states that you worked for four years. A bachelors says that you worked for four years. Why the hell would a hospital care if their RNs read Hamlet? Why would an advertising agency care if you understand recursive algorithms? Why would a law school care if you know jazz composition? They're just testaments to your sticktoitiveness. thumb up

frootlooplucy
sticktoitiveness... laughing out loud i like that.

Complicated
stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.