Entwives

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eldarion
Ok, I was just thinking about this. When Merry and Pippin meet Treebeard and they get to talking and he asks them if they've ever seen any entwives, they pretty much say no. But then they talk abotu the forest in Buckland and how people use to say that the trees could talk and even move. So could these have been the entwives? Or are they Hurons? I am a bit confussed. Are hurons trees with a spirit that the ents "manage" or shepard? Or were they once ents who stayed dormant for so long that they have become extreamly tree-like? I know treebeard touches on this, but I'm still confussed. Can anyone help? confused

aniron
dunno but I'm an elfwive the wife of legolas elf

Smodden
sounds like a good theory, but i never understood why the ents never found there wives. *sigh* kinda sad.

turin
well hurons can be either trees that become entish, or ents that become treeish. the entwives most likely were destroyed by sauron to the north of mordor where the wastes of dagorlad are (or surrounding area). I actually just read this chapter in the two towers and although it never flat out says there fate it is hinted to be so. treebeard was reasonably sure they went west over the anduin.

turin
The mates of the Ents, who had their gardens in the regions later known as the Brown Lands. When Sauron blasted that region, the Entwives escaped into the wilds of Middle-earth and were lost to the Ents (or so the Ents themselves believed).

Notes
1 It should be said that the fate of the Entwives was never resolved with certainty, but the signs are not hopeful. Tolkien's clearest statement on the matter is to be found in his Letters: 'I think that in fact the Entwives had disappeared for good, being destroyed with their gardens in the War of the Last Alliance (Second Age 3429 - 3441)...' (The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien No 144, dated 1954). This is less definite than it might appear, because he goes on to suggest that some might have fled into the east, and finally simply states of their fate, 'I don't know.'

thats what it says in the encyclopedia or arda, a great site, you should check it out if you get a chance. http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/

eldarion
Yes, I have that site. Thanks for the suggestions and notes. I am still curious though about what's going on in the forest in Buckland.

BingaBonga
are the entwives covered at all in the Simarillion? I'm about to read it, as soon as i finish three other books... smile

nephalim27
Ents aren't mentioned at all in the Silmarillion, except of their creation, without the word "Ent" being used.

eldarion
ok, still waiting to hear people's opinions on what is up with the forest in Buckland?

BingaBonga
huh.... oh yeah... it's just that this is labeled just simply "entwives" so how about we talk about anything that has to do with entwives... but anyway, idk eldarion...

eldarion
hey,

eldarion
Bingabonga:
I have no problem with that! I just was wondering if anyone had an answer, that's all. What does "idk" mean?

eldarion
Sorry if I sounded rude, I didn't mean it that way! erm

BingaBonga
no, its okay, i don't know and about your question... treebeard was describing the ents, and how they were made... i'm pretty sure

Exa
I don't think there were entwives in the shire though that would be really interesting

But I really wonder about that hobbit who saw a tree walking. Probably a Huorn, or maybe an ent searching for his wife?

However, I think Tolkien says everything that is to be said about that topic.

LegolasIsMyMan
In the EE they say that the lost the entwives, and Pipin I believe says im sorry ,how did they die, and treebeards like, NO we LOST them, so I just wonder where they went , or where they got lost at, or maybe that is what you are asking i dont know, lol

Exa
The Entwives liked flowers and nice gardens more than trees (see Treebeard's Song), so they moved to the Brown Lands where they made great and beautiful gardens; but somehow they vanished, and whenever the Ents searched for them, they never again found the Entwives.
Treebeard says that the Entwives would really have liked the Shire.

Many Entwives died during the Last Alliance sad

Ent:
When Spring unfolds the beechen leaf, and sap is in the bough,
When light is on the wild-wood stream, and wind is on the brow,
When stride is long, and breath is deep, and keen the mountain-air
Come back to me! Come back to me, and say my land is fair.

Entwife:
When Spring is come to garth and field, and corn is in the blade,
When blossom like a shining snow is on the orchard laid.
When shower and Sun upon the Earth with fragrance fill the air,
I'll linger here, and will not come, because my land is fair.

Ent:
When Summer lies upon the world, and in a noon of gold,
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold,
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West,
Come back to me! Come back to me, and say my land is best.

Entwife:
When Summer warms the hanging fruit, and burns the berry brown,
When straw is gold, and ear is white, and harvest comes to town,
When honey spills, and apple swells, though wind be in the West,
I'll linger here beneath the Sun because my land is best!

Ent:
When Winter comes, the winter wild that hill and wood shall slay,
When trees shall fall and starless nights devour the sunless day,
When wind is in the deadly East, then in the bitter rain
I'll look for thee, and call to thee, I'll come to thee again!

Entwife:
When Winter comes, and singing ends, when darkness falls at last,
When broken is the barren bough, and light and labour past,
I'll look for thee, and wait for thee, until we meet again
Together we will take the road beneath the bitter rain

Both:
Together we will take the road that leads into the West,
And far away, will find a land where both our hearts will rest.

TrixStar
I thought it mentioned in the book that the entwives left and were around buckland

Exa
Did it? I cant remember that
I only heard of one ent-like creature being seen near buckland or the entwives leaving for the brown lands

LegolasIsMyMan
All i know is they aren't with them, they are lost, or dead, i hope they are just lost, Maybe in the ROTK they find them. WOuldn't that be so cute???

sauron
it would, but they dont sorry to crush your hopes

leaf_eater
thye never find them? i've only read up to TTT in the books, they never find them?! that's so sad...i think i'm going to go cry in a corner now.

off topic:does gullum die? my friend told me he burned to death jumping after the ring. true?

eldarion
You should wait till ROTK to find that out big grin

Exa
True what Eldarion says
There are also other threads for stuff like that

But to answer your question - Nah they do not find them so cry in a corner... and, yes, Gollum DOES die but please stop asking these does-xy-die-questions... EVERYBODY does die sooner or later, just a question of time.

shaber
The Maiar need not necessarily have died...

Aragorn#1
arnt Hurons kinda like evil trees cuz Treebeard said that they grow wild, anger infests in their hearts or something like that so thats why there are Ents so they can control/watch them in the tt ee thats what attacks/captures Merry and Pip and in the book that happens in Buckland i think with Tom Bombadil they use that praise Tom says and give it to treebeard... i think this i dont know if i am right so dont get all butt hurt if i am wrong

Exa

Aragorn#1
o well kinda what i ment i didnt nessesarly mean evil but mad, i guess you could say

Bar-en-Danwedh
the area known as the brown lands was once home to the entwives, but was destroyed at the end of the second age, although tolkien says he doesn't know i think it's a hint that they may be what is living in the old forrest near buckland.

tolkien has done this sort of thing a few times, like the two blue wizards who arived on middle earth with saruman but travelled to the east never to return. that leaves alot open, and lead to interesting theories but the whole lack of closure on the entwives situation is just a tragic part of the story.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.