Punk is cool

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sex Pistol
Right, im starting a new topic, ive searched through this website as much as i could, and guess what no-one has talked about punk or punk films, ever hear of a little film called Sid and Nancy. If you dont add something onto this or send me a private message and i'll chat to you about it.

Korri
This is the Matrix forum, where ppl talk about...guess what THE MATRIX!
sorry but this thread is gonna get moved..

Daedalus
Indeed. (I love that word!) cool

Korri
what word?

Daedalus
The word "Indeed".

((The_Anomaly))
hay punk is good........however if ur going to put into the fourm then put it under the "off topic fourm" but your right we need to talk more about music in these fourms

Sex Pistol
Why is every one sooo obsesed with the matrix, i have to admit its a cool film, and that sex seen with neo and trinity was pretty cool but come on this forum is about punk and if you dont like it dont bother chatting on it.
Except for u anomaly thanx for talking about it. smile

BackFire
Matrix is lame.

Evil Dead
Sid & Nancy (I own it on dvd, so I can bash it if I wish) is not a very good movie. They portrayed Sid Vicious as the cliche he portrayed himself on stage. Same goes for Johnny Rotten. They portrayed him horribly.............the movie can be entertaining for those people who don't know about punk/sex pistols/sid vicious & nancy spungeon but for us die hard Sex Pistols fans, it is just insulting.

I'd recommend The Great Rock N Roll Swindle or The Filth and the Fury over Sid and Nancy any day.

Filth and the Fury, I believe it is OOP but you should be able to get your hands on a copy around the net somewhere.

The Great Rock N Roll Swindle.......way OOP, I played hell finding my copy 10 years ago......it has never been released on dvd (except in Japan) so you will have to settle for the VHS.....can probably find it on Ebay.

Sex Pistol
I love the filth and the fury. I own that as well as Sid and Nancy. Your right though Sid and Nancy isnt the best film to show what Punk was like, and never will be again. The filth and the fury helps people understand the story of what happened to the sex pistols.
And can i just add lets kill Malcolm Mclaren. What a wanker he is! And Nancy was still alive id wanna kill her too. Shes a *****. Poor Sid. But if you ask me Sid never killed Nancy at all, i think it was that drug dealer.

Corlindel
Try "Quadropheny"

Sex Pistol
Whats 'Quadropheny'?
Anyway can we plase get back on the subject of punk!

Sex Pistol
Punk is sooooo cool. Avril lavign and Good charlotte are not Punk!
Punk is The Sex pistols, the clash, and Souxie and the banshees.
Now dont say but thats for old people, cause im only 16 and i love them!

Tex
God Bless You! yes

badkittykitty
thats funny you said that 'cause I had just broke a bunch of my old punk and have been listening to it every day! Ive been playing the cramps and the misfits the most!

lil bitchiness
misfits love

mah
PROPAGANDHI

BrightEyes85
I heart the sex pistols.

Long live the originals!

stinkfist462
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!!!!!!!!!
awesome song... but i mainly listen to AFI..... kinda pop punish but i like em...

deeplydeppy
PUNK RULES!!!!! Who out there loves system of a down ?? None of my friends like them, I think they rock. And sum 41, although they are a bit poppy. Good Charlotte are good, but still a bit comercial. I should be in the music forum, but who gives.

Killer
that's really great... wow... i learned alot today

Kes
Lets stick to punk movies.

plenTpak52
Good Charlotte blows so hard even Styx is starting to get worried.

Tired Hiker
SLC Punk was not bad. As far as music, I don't consider Sum 41 and System Of A Down as punk. Punk is The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys ... . . . . ... then later, Drop Kick Murphys, Buzzcocks . .... . . ... not even Green Day is punk to me.

Kes
*sigh* Since this thread keeps going to music...
moving--moved

octapushunter
punk sucks. slc punk was at best watchable. i'm all about weird al right now, until jon tesh comes out with his next album. the only good "punk" was snot. were they really punk though? no. that's why they rocked.

wicker_man
I don't mind punk, although im not mad on it, i don't mind listeining to it, i think Rancid are pretty good as are Tim Andersons side band The Transplants old Blink 182 and Green Day were pretty good also.

sk8stuff09
punk is cool! hey sex pistol, ever heard of a movie called SLC punk?

Sex Pistol
No i havent. And it really upsets me, that people on my forum are talking about Sum 41 and Avril and Good charlotte as punk they arent get over it! Please! if you think they are Punk stop wasting my time on my forum!

Sex Pistol
God save the queen is an amazing song! Poor Johnny when they brought it out got beaten up all of the time sad does anyone feel sorry foe sid, cause i do all of the time, it was johhnys best friend and he died, because of drugs, a total rock and roll cliche

Evil Dead
God Save the Queen is good (as all Pistols' songs are).......I think Bodies, E.M.I., Holidays in the Sun and Anarchy in the U.K. are all better.

Saying John Lydon was beat up all the time over that song is a great exaggeration. He did get attacked one time......got beat up and slashed across the face and hand with a razor.

Feel sorry for Sid? No. He became famous for one reason and one reason only.........because he was John's best friend. That is the only reason Malcolm let him in when Glen left, to offset Steve and Paul. He then took that ounce of fame and manufactured an image. He let the image of Sid Vicious become bigger than just plain ol' John Simon Beverly. He began using heroin because he wanted to. Nobody made him. It was a concious decision.....he sought out the drug. His life was meaningless from that point on.

Evil Dead
You want to talk about punk movies..........let's talk about the Great Rock N Roll Swindle.

That movie owns on so many levels. It is the only VHS tape I still have (only because they havn't pressed in on dvd except in Japan).............

Highlights include:

Sid Vicious' video for My Way............wearing the white leisure jacket.....shooting the audience.......etc.

Sid Vicious' video for Somethin' Else........jumping out of bed wearing his underwear with a swastika across the crotch.......scratching his sac.......breaking the beer bottle and running it across his chest and face.....

Steve and Paul in Brazil with Ronnie Biggs.........

Ten Pole Tudor skit singing Who Killed Bambi?........

The animated video for Friggin' in the Riggin'...........I love this song.....so corny it's great. It's probably the song I play most off of my Rock n Roll Swindle Soundtrack........well, that and My Way.

Not only is the Great Rock N Roll Swindle the best punk movie ever......it is the best music/band movie ever.........

BackFire
merged both punk threads.

sk8stuff09
ya Avril and GC are poseurs. sum 41 is ok, but have a little pop in them. good punk is: sex pistols, ramones, devo, green day, you know...

swirley jr
sum 41 is pop, just like good charlotte. green day isn't punk either.

Evil Dead
Green Day was punk...........before they became famous off Dookie and sold out to mainstream rock.

That is the truly sad thing about the punk genre. By defenition, punk bands are non-conformist....won't sell out. To become famous in today's music industry, you have to conform and sell out to appeal to the mainstream audience. Record companies don't want to sign a band who only appeals to 15,000 or 45,000 people. They are much larger scale and want sales to reach into the millions. This is why you will never see another famous punk band.

Green Day was just another casualty. They made Slappy Hours and Kerplunk on Lookout records.......and earned no money. To earn money they had to sign to a big label. To sign to a big label they had to comform their sound to that of what the label is wanting........a sound that will appeal to a mass audience and make them famous, earning more money for the record company. This ofcourse produced Dookie.........and their pop/rock follow ups..

benji_punk77
freakin sick of all this new skool pop punk like good charlotte and their crappy clones gimme the clash, rancid , the germs, antiflag, propagandhi and those bands that are actually saying somthing that means something ( well maybe the germs didnt say that much, but hey )

benji_punk77
oh yeah johnny rotten said so himself that sid and nancy was a terrible portrayal of him and sid

Curl_Up&Dye
I agree. I think that the police were just trying to take down Sid because he was at the time one of the ones heading the punk revolution... and everyone knows, that 99% of adults find punks to be a dangerous crowd and want to eliminate that form of expression, because they fear what punks are capable of.
Not to be stereotypical or anything, because I know that most punks aren't bad people, but unfortunately thats the public's opinion of us. Mtv isn't helping either, theyre just watering down punk to make it mainstream so they can make $$ off it.

Placebo_fan
Can we get back to Sex pistols point of veiw? She's right that the real punk doesn't really exist anymore...Johnny and Sid rock,
Avril Lavigne is a spoilt little girl who thinks wristbands, straight hair and being just plain rude is punk. She insults everything that was ever punk. Any fan of ers has been brainwashed by poppy lyrics and a broken guitar...puh...I spit on her grave...if she was dead...ooooh, new idea...

Placebo_fan
can we get back to sex pistl's point of view? I like the sex pistols, Johnny and Sid rock. Avril Lavigne is a spoilt little girl who thinks that straight hair, a black guitar and wrist bands is as punk as you can get...She insults the old punk and everything from back then...What the hell is she thinking...If avril has any fans, they're mostly tourists who don't really understand..or little perky kids who've been brainwashed by poppy lyrics...puh...I spit on her grave...if she were dead..HEYYYYYY...new idea! LETS KILL AVRIL! WHO'S WITH ME? hello? *tumbleweed blows past*...okay then, I'll leave.

Evil Dead
No.........the police arrested Vicous for the murder because:

A. He was at the scene of the crime, while the crime was being committed.

B. There was no proof that anybody other than Sid had been in that room with Nancy.

C. He himself told the police that he didn't know if he had done it or not.

If my wife turns up stabbed to death tomorrow morning.......and I was laying in bed next to her all night.......no proof that anybody else had been in my house.......and to top it off I tell the police that I don't know if I did it or not, guess what? I'm going to jail!

Sid killed her........and I don't blame him. He's dead so it doesn't really matter anyway.

Johnny does still rock........as does Steve. Sid on the other hand never rocked, he never did anything of the sort. He was a walking poster to advertise the band, nothing more. I must admit though that his rendition of My Way rocked hard.......but that is all.

johnny_rotten
No ones mentioned The Ramones, next to The Pistols I thought they were the best.

Curl_Up&Dye
The Ramones are one of my favorites

Evil Dead
I never was a fan of the Ramones

Sex Pistol
I would like to say to evil Dead, you are really doing my head in. Sid may have been a walking poster to advertise, but he was still a human being. He still had feelings, he had friends and family. I t was all because of Malcolm, a total wanker who thought he minpulated everything when he was clueless!

slashwristbarbi
Hello smile I'm not really a punk fan, but I would like to say Sid Lives. That is all. Goodbaye

Sex Pistol
Thank you Slashwristbarbi, to everyone else i know her so i understand what she means!

grymlock
yeah i got a copy of the great rock and roll swindle... how about 'Rock and Roll High School' anyone saw this movie?? and yeah it's also a song from the legend The Ramones... Hey Ho Let's Go!!!

cheers mate!!

grymlock
if you wanna talk about punk rock then the clash is the right band for it...

punk in my heart, hardcore in my blood

cheers!!

grymlock
what is so cool about punk?? coz i'm into punk for years.. and i never ever heard or mention that punk is cool... for me punk is just a way of life.. and what you belive.. it's more about attitude, ethic, dicipline etc.. just wondering...

cheers mate!!

Evil Dead
Sex Pistol.........I'm not trying to get on anybody's nerves with my semi-Sid-Bashing...........you must look at it from my point of view.

The Sex Pistols are my favorite band....of any genre...of all time. They are one of the most influential bands in history. Their music was great......they refused to conform. They fought the system.......and made great music while doing so.

John Lydon/Johnny Rotten was a great vocalist for their style of music. He could sing and shout his lungs out. He was a great front man. He performed like none other. He set the mood for all live events......and his voice set the mood for every single song.

Steve Jones is an accomplished guitar player. He didn't get a lot of recognition during his Pistols days but has since. He has worked with virutally everybody. This man can play guitar.

Paul Cook is a great drum player. With so many Pistols' songs designed with a heavy drum beat.......he had to be great to make the music work.

Glenn Matlock is a great bass player. He is/was the most talented of the lot. He was the best musician in the group......and still is.

When people talk about the Pistols........all of the above is ignored. They want to talk about Sid Vicous. The man who contributed nothing at all to the group. He really was just a walking poster to advertise the group. He stood on stage holding a bass.......did not play it. He cut himself on stage........he picked fights with members of the audience. He was a "bad boy"........why do people continue to discuss him over the real musicians of the group (Jones, Cook, Matlock)?

No, Sid Vicious was not a human being with family and friends. John Simon Beverly was a human being with family and friends. Sid Vicious was merely a walking poster to promote a band. Sid Vicious made the concious decision to kill John Beverly.

John Lydon has commented on this many times before. Sid didn't fall into a drug habbit. He looked for it. John Beverly was a nice quiet young fellow who liked hanging out with his friends. Sid Vicious on the other hand was just a guy out looking for trouble......he fancied himself as a "toughie" and was constantly looking for altercation. That was what his entire life was based around. Not family......not friends......just shooting heroin and looking for fights.

Malcolm McLaren did nothing to hurt Sid. As a matter of fact.....he made John Beverly famous. Sid did everthing to hurt himself.

John Beverly was a no-name drummer for Siouxie Sioux when Glenn Matlock left the Pistols. It just so happened that his best friend was John Lydon. Johnny Rotten wanted Sid to join the group because he was tired of the way Steve and Paul were always together and had nothing in common with him, it made him feel like an outsider. Sid Vicious had never played Bass before in his life......but Malcolm McLaren let him join the group anyway.

Malcolm not only made a person who had no musical talent a famous musician with the Sex Pistols............after the group had broken up, Malcolm still remained loyal to Sid and helped him carry on a solo career.............

You can blame Malcolm McLaren's greed for killing the Sex Pistols if you wish........because it is mostly true. He killed the Pistol's career with his greed and dictator type attitude towards the group. He on the other hand did nothing but help Sid Vicious. He took a nobody and made him a super star that is still being talked about here almost 25 years after his death. Malcolm tried to help Sid from destroying himself........he warned him against drugs, he warned him against Nancy Spungeon.......those two thing combined is what killed John Beverly and later killed Sid Vicious. Sid didn't want to listen to anybody or anything. He knew it all. Nobody carries any blame but him. Not Malcolm McLaren, not John Lydon.............Sid killed Sid.

Placebo_fan
I didn't know you felt that strongly about it...But I still think malcolm mclaren is an evil wanker, not for making Sid take drugs or anything like that, but how he never ever gave anything to the band, the sex pistols had to work for themselves, he stole, i repeat, STOLE john's ideas, they got no money from it at all, and for the fact he manipulated Sid's family, his mum, for god's sake! into believing him. Like johnny rotten said on Filth and the Fury, 'you can't get more evil than that' and you really can't. John Beverly is dead and he is laughing about it to this day. It's depressing to think about, but it's true....thank you please

Evil Dead
Malcolm McLaren is far from being a saint. He did take advantage of all of the not so worldly wise members of the group. This is true. On one hand.....he single handedly destroyed the Sex Pistols. On the other.....he had every right to do so, he created them. He did treat the Pistols as endetured servant, which was wrong. He took the bands talent.......the bands ideas.......and made money off of them. The only thing he did that was completely wrong was not compensating them fairly for their hard work.

The Filth and the Fury does have the best interviews I've ever seen with Johnny Rotten. John is the more candid and personal in those interviews then in any other interview he has ever done. I do get sad when watching him talk about Sid. He cries on camera for god's sake when talking about him. I must admit, I get choked up. Not because John is talking about losing a member of his band.......or a punk icon.....just because John is talking about his best friend.....one of the Johns.......his best mate ever.

KidRock
"punk is cool"

no, no its not

Sex Pistol
Evil Dead you dont have to explain to me what the pistols were! And plus you dont have to say their real names to show off to me. Besides i cant believe you said that malcolm had the right to destroy them, they were a great band and he ruuined it! It wasnt his band it was theirs and the fans! Malcolm never really cared about it, 'they just turned it into making money'

slashwristbarbi
I don't think Malcom had the right to destroy the band just because he was their manager. This band was their lives, and their dream. And nothing gave him the right to cash in on that and screw up their dream. However, I've got 2 agree that, at the end of the day, Sid killed Sid. If he wanted to stay clean, only he could do it. Although Malcom and others didn't help.
Anyways, stop this stupid argument, you two, cos it's annoying!
byesy

Sex Pistol
Dear Evil dead
Please do me the favor of not coming on my forum i wont go on yours if you dont go on mine! Its just every time your on here you piss me off and i know you dont mean to but you do!

grymlock
evil dead quote "Malcolm McLaren is far from being a saint. He did take advantage of all of the not so worldly wise members of the group. This is true. On one hand.....he single handedly destroyed the Sex Pistols. On the other.....he had every right to do so, he created them. He did treat the Pistols as endetured servant, which was wrong. He took the bands talent.......the bands ideas.......and made money off of them. The only thing he did that was completely wrong was not compensating them fairly for their hard work."

i do agree what evil dead mention coz it's true what malcolm did....

anyway dear sex pistol everyone got the right to comment and that what's the forum is all about... and you called your self a punk laughing out loud very funny....

cheers mate!!

Sex Pistol
Well i am, but it just i dont wanna argue i dont mean to sound patranising, so i apolagise to everyne for what i had just said. But i dont feel evil dead is right to say that he wasnt there and neither was i so can we stop talking about the pistols personal buisness, and talk about how ****ing great their music was!

johnny_rotten
The Sex Pistols were way ahead of their time. Not many bands had as big an impact as The Pistols. I grew up with that lot and I can say when they arrived it changed everything...for the better. Punk music was exciting, fast & without rules.

It's a great shame they had to split up, but with Rotten's and Mclarens egos involved it was inevitable. Mclaren did'nt have a clue about the music, he had no input into their sound. I personally don't think he knew what he "created" (and thats debatable). The pistols had great press at the best possible times. Anyone ever seen the classic interview with Bill Grundy ?. That was the best possible PR a band could ever recieve. After that day they were headline news no matter what they did.

In my honest opinion the band died when Matllock left (or was sacked) and Vicious joined. He couldnt play a note. Ever see the Pistols DVD "Live at Longhorns"?. There was no bass (to my ears) being played at all. He did not perform on the "Never mind the **!**ks" album. Steve Jones did the lot !! What a great guitarist he was, and infact still is !!!

The Pistols memory will last far longer than most of the commercial crap that is around at the moment. How many bands can say they inspired so many new groups?? Not many I think. Nirvana were inspired by the pistols. What greater accolade can you have than that???

johnny_rotten
Sorry to double post. Pleased you liked the Clash. I saw them at the Lyceum Ballroom in 1979. Just as London Calling was released. By FAR the most exciting gig I ever saw (or will ever see) Raw power, the likes we will never see again.

punkhessian
hey evil dead untill u meet rotten in real life dont say how he is in real live

cermiestar
the clash are brilliant! i found all their abums on vinyl....my DAD has them!!!

grymlock
yup!! the clash are the true punk rawk band ever... anyway i just wonder did anyone over here saw the sex pistol reunite tour around mid 90's ??

cheers mate!!

Evil Dead
#1. Sex Pistol.........you seem to take offense to me talking about how over rated Sid Vicious is. You are entitled to your opinion......but he did contribute nothing to the Sex Pistols. Pop in your Nevermind the Bollocks cd, tell me which song he contributed to.

#2. I will continue to refer to Sid Vicious and John Beverly as two different people........because they were two completely different personas. John Beverly was the quite young lad who liked hanging out with friends and having a good time. Sid Vicous was the guy who wore the leather jacket on stage, carved himself up with beer bottles, started fights, etc. I do not care if you are impressed or not.........that is just the way it is.

#3. "Besides i cant believe you said that malcolm had the right to destroy them, they were a great band and he ruuined it!"

- yes they were great..........but there was no band before Malcolm McLaren. He took three kids who hung out together and called themselves a band even though they had never played in front of anybody.............moved the singer to guitar player, got rid of the guitar player, found a new lead off the street, and named the band. He did create the Pistols.........

- McLaren did not destroy the band. They imploded. They fell apart from the inside. Rotten never got along with Matlock at all........he was not friends with Jones and Cook. He openly admits that they all hated each other and were the first to call each other *****.

You take 3 guys who aren't the best of friends to begin with.........throw in a bass player who can't play bass, only causes trouble for the band.......then put them on tour in a country they have never been to before and don't really understand. Recipe for disaster.

Malcolm McLaren cheated them out of alot of money............but he did not kill the band. If memory serves, Johnny Rotten was the one who said "I Quit". He wasn't fired........he just quit. He got tired of putting up with everybody....Sid, Steve, Paul, Malcolm.....the whole lot.

As a matter of fact.......even after Rotten quit the band, Malcolm held tryouts to find a new lead singer of the Pistols. As a matter of fact.......this try out produced the song "The Greatest Rock 'N" Roll Swindle" and is featured prominantly in the Great Rock 'N' Roll Swindle movie.

Malcolm did the exact opposite of destroying the band. He tried to keep the band going after the lead singer quit by replacing him. The death blow came when Sid overdosed and died. McLaren couldn't keep the pistols going with only the original guitar player and drummer. That is what killed the band. Rotten quitting and Vicious dying.

#4. "hey evil dead untill u meet rotten in real life dont say how he is in real live" ----punkhessian

please provide a quote......I cannot find any place in this entire thread where I state I know anything of John Lydon's private affairs or non-public persona.

#5. Johnny Rotten............I agree with you on every point you made. Good show.

by the way.....the Bill Grundy interview is on the Filth and the Fury so all of us Pistol's fans have seen it...............and good point about how much Sid was a non-member of the band. He didn't play bass at all.

On my Sex Pistols Nevermind the Bollocks dvd Steve Jones goes into great detail on how the songs were created. All songs performed after Matlock left did not have a bass line at all......because Sid couldn't play. All songs were recorded with Jones playing his guitar in a normal key.....then playing the same part again in a lower key in leiu of a bass line, which is what gave the Pistols a signiture sound. Sid Vicous does not play a note on one recorded Pistols song.

#6. no grymlock I didn't. I wanted to see the Pistols reunion in '96 so bad it wasn't funny. I was only 17 at the time and the closest show was over a hundred miles away and my parents wouldn't let me drive to it. Needless to say I was very pissed for a very long time.

johnny_rotten
Evil Dead..thanks for your support.

grymlock
i must say evil dead great detail... but still you're lucky coz it's just over a hundred miles while i'm way over here in Malaysia thousand of miles *sighs*

cheers mate!!

grymlock
Britain's Burning Dial 999

cheers mate!!

Sex Pistol
Im sorry but evil dead you talk to much! Any, i dont care what you say i told you that im sorry what you said everyone is intitled to there own opinion, but dont rub it in my face, the purpose of punk is to do what the **** you want, but there's no need to be an arsehole about it. I know most people think punk is about being mean and nasty, but its not. thats just what the media makes it into. Now can we please get back to the subject of complete punk music! I know im a pistols fan and i started this forum but do me a favour and talk about other punk bands aswell. The pistols are my fave band but i also like The clash (Joe strummer RIP), and the ramones. Lets ask each other about we like and talk about fave songs by different bands, and not argue with each other, over things that we all like, caruse ruins it.

sk8rpunkbarbie
hello dere my mate sex pistol! how is you doing your coursework for I.T i hope! he he have fun!

thorC
THE OFFSPRING THE OFFSPRING THE OFFSPRING THE OFFSPRING

Sex Pistol
'THE OFFSPRING THE OFFSPRING THE OFFSPRING THE OFFSPRING'
I know ive just said lets give our opinion and not argue, but, OFFSPRING ARNT PUNK! (sorry). They used to be but they changed. I dont know what they are now.
Any way has anyone heared the new rancid album, it was the first real punk song id heard in a while, and i thought wow this is good. But then they started to rap. It was stupid!
Also guess what Johnny Rotten (John Lydon) is gonna be on im a celebrity get me out of here. I really wish he wouldnt because thats for washed up gameshow hosts who couldnt get on celebrity big brother. Its terrible.

johnny_rotten
He will be very entertaining and piss everyone else off..defo worth a watch.

Placebo_fan
But the cigarettes are rationed, aren't they? he'll die! No offence to Sex pistol. Also, Sex pistol, where are you up to in your book?
Also, I don't mean to rub it in, but on ' I'm a celebrity, get me out of here' , don't they have to do tasks? hahaha. Imagine this: It's johnny rottens turn to do a task...'F**k off!' messed Not gonna be too happy about that, are they?

Sex Pistol
Ha ha ha,

Evil Dead
I would watch that even if they put it on Pay Per View.............

Hey, as great as Johnny Rotten is........even he needs money. No need to to crack on him for doing the show. It's not exactly like he's swimming in the money from his Pistols and P.I.L. royalties. His only other option is to keep doing reunion tours with 3 people he hates.........which he has said he is done with.

slashwristbarbi
As long as he burns Peter Andres hair, bursts Jordans boobs, then starts an inferno and paddles away in the only canoe to leave the rest to die, I'll be happy. Not much to ask for.

Sex Pistol
How funny would that be, hee hee!

Placebo_fan
quite funny. reading happy doctor heeheehee

Darth Jello
I think the real epicenter of punk was southern california in the 80's. you had all the best bands there, much more vicious than the Brits toobig grinead Kennedys, Avengers, Germs, Black Flag, X, Viscous Circle, The Mentors, Negative Trend, Flipper, The Weirdos, Red Kross, Agent Orange, the Crucif&cks, TSOL, The Adolescents, DI, Wasted Youth, The Circle Jerks, Tony Adolescent and the ADZ, Christian Death, LARD, Cathedral of Tears, need I go on?

Sex Pistol
Ya but Engalnd started it all,
The sex pistols, the clash, the ramones, the banshees, Public image limited...
Need I go on...

amity75
A few years ago me and my mate met John Lydon in a pub in Camden and a nicer more charming man you couldn't wish to meet. He's the greatest living Englishman as far as I'm concerned and thats coming from a Scot!

Sex Pistol
I am so jealous of you! Wow thats ****ing mint!

Is anyone watching im a celeb?

Darth Jello
well... technically punk started in the late 50's in hamburg, then continued with the fugs, then came the MC5, the sonics, the kingsmen, the ramones, the normals...hell, if you want to go really far back in time, punk goes back to 1913 when the premiere of Igor Stravinski's "the rite of spring/le sacre du printemps" started a citywide riot in Paris. the point was not the origins but the quality and perfection. plus the little known fued between flipper and John Lydon was funny too

johnny_rotten
M8 get your facts right. The Ramones were an American Band, and very good aswell. They were also formed before the english punk bands were about aswell.

Punker69
punk is the best.anyone here heard of mxpx?

Darth Jello
i think everyone has

Sex Pistol
I definitly have.
Does anyone like Rancid? I heared their song 'red hot moon' and i thought wow! this is good its been a long time since ive heared a good punk song these days, but then they started to rap at the end, WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY DOING!

Sex Pistol
Anyway any1 watch im a celeb, John walked off today, like he does on every single programme hes been on after Bill Grundy.

incuhead1024
i'm not really into any punk, i find it kind of annoying.

Punker69
if anyone wants good true punk
MXPX IS IT!!!

Sex Pistol
If you find punk so annoying why be on this forum?

SAtown_punk
First of all, who are any of you to say what punk is or isn't? Avril Lavigne is not the punk that we all know today. She is a marketing ploy put together by her mangers and she is talentless. Good Charlotte, however, is "punk". Benji loves the music, and he is close friends with Rancid's Tim Armstrong and Lars Frederikson. Benji is a great person and his love for the music is second to none. His brother Joel is only in it for the money, however. They have a new album coming out this year and I'm going to buy it because I've liked Good Charlotte since the beginning.
Now...old punk. Classical punk, I suppose. Sex Pistols are the epitomy of what punk should be. Take no shit, raise hell, etc. I love the Sex Pistols. I also love the Ramones, the Misfits, Adicts, Damned, Buzzcocks, Bad Brains, and all those. I hate the Clash. I can't stand them. But I thank them for giving us Rancid, and I respect what they did.
Newer punk...you can't put it down because it's out future. I love AFI. Old AFI is awesome. Sing The Sorrow is an amazing album, and contrary to popular belief, they did not sell out. They made a decision that was best for them creatively. Rancid is awesome, Propagandhi, Pennywise, Dropkick Murphys, the Business, the Flatliners, No-Cash, Leftover Crack/Choking Victim, Anti-Flag, the Deviates, the Devotchkas...that's real music. The Casualties. That's real music. Punk is the greatest genre ever invented and I for one am not going to tolerate people putting it down.

cermiestar
quote from avril lavigne
interviewer "so how rock'n'roll are you?"
avril "ohmigod, i am completely rock'n'roll! i live my whole life on the road"

not : no mention of the music, WHATSOEVER!

Sex Pistol
Good charlotte SUCK!

beaujay1
theres tooooooo many punk posers at my school who dress so they can get accepted into the punk crowd because they cant accept the idea of not being who you are. ticks me off. mad but then again, its people like that, that end up screwing themselves over in the long run. glad im not like that. punk is just a trend anyways, just like britney, craprap and the rest of all those bimbos out there. i hope REAL musicians come up with something new that will last forever, like rock.

Sex Pistol
New punk like avril and good charlotte, or just a farse! They are just sell outs, old punk werent like that at all.

Placebo_fan
Sex Pistol U are not southern! Shut Up! If i can't say southerner things, you cant either!

Sex Pistol
Look placebo fan, i dont realise what im saying. I listen to a lot of people who come from London and it kinda inbeds in my brain.

johnny_rotten
Sex Pistol

Did you grow up with the "original" punk bands or are you someone who aint got a clue what he's talking about??

Placebo_fan
One, Sex Pistol is a girl, And two, she's my friend, And Three, How do we know youre not some wacko who doesn't know what HE'S talking about either?... you could SAY you grew up with the music, but we don't know that 4 sure...Even if sex pistol didn't grow up with the music, does that mean she has no right to like them or know anything about them? She knows plenty about the Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones, etc to talk to me all day about them! I would even say she's a little obsessed...So LEAVE HER ALONE!!!

incuhead1024
all new punk sucks ass old punk is whats talent. nowadays its nothing but whine whine my girlfriend broke up with me for my best friend kind of shit and its sooo annoyinggggg

SAtown_punk
There is no such thing as "punk" anymore. Punk(as we know it) died in 1979. There are a few bands who still hold the values that the original "punk" bands held close to their hearts, but for the most part, everything now is(for lack of a better term) post-punk. But I also agree that the 80's in SoCal was the definitive "punk" era, and Dead Kennedys will forever be my favorite punk band of all time. But punk is more than a term. It is a way of life. And we need just look at how the pistols acted at the height of their fame to model how we should all be. But even the Pistols, when asked if they were punk, would say, "We're not punk, we're the Sex Pistols." That shows tremendous respect for the genre that they pioneered, and by the time the word "punk" had gained widespread usage. "punk" was, in fact, over.

Second, I'm not really a huge fan of The Clash. I love them because they helped pave the way for bands like Rancid, but I never could really get into The Clash. I respect them, of course, and it seems they are making a comeback(although the majority of the people I know just wear their T-shirts because MTV said it's "cool to be punk".

The rancid song you heard where they rap is "Red Hot Moon" and the reason they rap on it is because Tim Armstrong has a side band with Travis Barker from Blink 182/Box Car Racer , and Rob Aston, or "Skinhead" Rob. He is the person you hear rapping. The band is called Transplants. Tim invited Rob to do a song with Rancid for the new album, and now you have "Red Hot Moon", a great song.

Incuhead, to say that all the punk nowadays is nothing buy "whine, whine, my girlfriend broke up with me" is completely naiive. The majority of the bands are playing "real punk" (i.e. Fast paced, in your face, don't take shit, political). But even the Pistols had the occasional love song, and there is nothing wrong with that. If that's what they want to write about, then why stop them? That's their way of conveying their emotions.

Placebo_fan
I hate bands that release songs that sound the same...it pays to have a different one every now and then!

johnny_rotten
I grew up with the Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones, The Buzzcocks, The Lurkers, 999,Subway Sect, Flux Of Pink Indians...the list goes on and on . I saw most of these bands, several times. It's not me who's the whacko !!!

Don't get so bloody touchy !!. I was asking a genuine question. If you Did not grow up at that time, you will not know what you are talking about. I admit you can research and listen to the music, but that's it. I like bands like The Doors, The Kinks, The Stones aswell. No amount of reading and studying can ever replace the experience of being there at THE time when THEY started.

I admire your mate for enjoying the old Punk music. Good for her...fantastic.

johnny_rotten

Placebo_fan
Okay johnny. I'm sorry I get touchy, but you of all people must understand why I defended Sex pistol. Because, I know you can only research the music if you didn't grow up with it, but it still gives you no right to say that she won't know what she's talking about, because she well does. I'm sorry I called you a wacko. Sometimes, I think she's a real (for want of a better phrase) good old fashioned punk, in the slightly younger sense..hehehe.

Sex Pistol
Thank you Placebo fan, very much that was very nice of you.
And Johnny Rotten i know being there has no replacement for what i can say. It really makes me sad that i never got the chance to see them, and now that you brought it up it makes it even worse. Its not my fault when i was born, i mean my mam was only 16 at the time. Which is how old i am now.

But anyway lets forget about this... Has anyone read Rotten. No Irish, no blacks, no dogs. Its bloody amazing!

Placebo_fan
You read it to me all the time!!! What part are you on now? Too bad youre near the end...blow

Sex Pistol
Im onto what everyone else thinks about them at the end, its really good!

beaujay1
i agree. i have to say im not a huge fan of punk, but it doesn't bother me. its those people like avril that try to take something away from originals, that tick me off.

Sex Pistol
Pure brilliance!

amity75
My favourite punk band is The Exploited. And they're Scottish, so there!

Evil Dead
"new punk like Avirl Leviegn and Good Charlotte"

um........who through the punk label on these pop rock groups around today? They did. Of course when their fans realize they like the music, they think they are punks because the band says they are punk and the fans don't know the difference because they watch MTV and have never seen a real punk band.

Punk today is underground. Many punk bands are signed to labels......but most won't put the money into them to make videos and get them air play. You shouldn't classify a band as punk simply because you see a band playing on MTV's Spring Break yelling they are punk. Punk is not a haircut........hell, Mr. T and P.Diddy wore mohawks......they weren't punk.

I'd love to see one of these pop/rock groups like Blink 182, Good Charlotte or Sum 41 run up to real punks like Johnny Rotten, Glenn Danzig or Spike from Corporate Avenger and start yelling, "hey...I'm punk"...........they'd get the crap beat out of them and a face full of spit while they were lying on the ground unconcious.

SAtown_punk
Benji from Good Charlotte is a real punk, if there is such a thing. He loves the music and the people and the lifestyle. But his brother, joel,and the rest of GC(though it pains me to admit this) I believe are only in it for the money. But the new album that comes out this year isn't supposed to be the way the last one was. But I'm not sure it really matters anymore.

SAtown_punk
Anybody else gonna comment?

DaRk Jester
boob

PrefectRonnykin
yes punk is cool... point?

amlap
what the **** is punk anyway?

PrefectRonnykin
*shrug* cool i guess lol

i think its a mix between rock and pop but with more cussing and tattoos

amlap
doubtful... maybe they should put the true meanig in the official dictionary... cause you know, Bling Bling is a word?! why cant punk be one too? laughing out loud

Darth Jello
this debate is stupid and is what drives people away from punk in the first place. this elitist punker than though bullshit has no place in this or any music scene. punk has no specific sound or set of lyrics its about a set of ethics, whether you express that through the music of your choice or through a fanzine. your dress or nationality have nothing to do with it. and nobody bring up that "sell out" crap because the pistols, the ramones, and many of those other bands were on major labels.

SAtown_punk
That's right, darthjello. Punk is(by definition): A youth movement of the late 70's characterized byanti-establishment slogans ad outrageous clothes and hairstyles. That's pretty close. It's basically lous, fast-paced, little chord progression. Mostly Barr chords. Lyrics are traditionally political, but not necessarily. It's about rebellion.

amlap
*see the tears from my eyes*
beautifully put

Darth Jello
it is that SA but it's other things too. The stuff from Southern california between 1978 ad 1987 is the hardest punk ever released

SAtown_punk
That's true. I'm just saying what te technical definition of it is. I think that 80's punk in SoCal is the greatest punk era of all time. But I alo like early 90's...Rancid, AFI, Green Day, Blink-182.

PrefectRonnykin
AFI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RANCID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GREENDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BLINK 182!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SAtown_punk
lol. Good taste so far, Ronnykin.

amlap
i saw that new video that blink has... and i will honestly say that is th first blink song that i like.

Darth Jello
technically, The hamburg era beatles, Nirvana, and Igor Stravinsky are punk

Sex Pistol
Nirvana arent punk, their grunge. I think the best punk is english seventies. But the ramones are good too.
Did any1 see busted sing teenage kicks during the brit awards i wanted to cry.

Sex Pistol
blink 182 are so not punk neither are greenday so dolnt be going saying that they are you imbseal btw this is sk8rpunkbarbie and i kno punk coz sex pistol is one of my closest mates.........

amlap
and the sex pistols music was punk?

sex pistols= british boy band

SAtown_punk
Sex Pistols were punk, yes. They didn't start it, however. But that doesn't matter. Anyway, nobody has a right to say what punk is or isn't, because it IS NOT a style of music, it is a way of life.

amlap
exactly... hence the reasons of me saying their music wasnt punk. in all honestly you could call sex pistols pop/rock. pop is just short for popular and we all know what kind of impact that the sex pistols have had on the music industry... all in all where im going with this is that labeling music is a bunch of crap. granite i label music jsut like the next guy would, but then again i have no choice because that is how people come to terms with music.
punk IS a life style, not a music style. if anyhting punk is rock of the new age.
"society is a ***** of a thing when it comes to labeling"

Sex Pistol
**** you! Never say that again to me, or keep off my forum!

Sex Pistol
And of course punk is music.
Bloody hell! Your either american which explains your behaviour or you were smoothered by your mam to much as a child! You sound like a ****ing hippie!
And to quote Mr johnny Rotten 'Never trust a ****ing hippie!'

amlap
then what is your view on punk music?

and yes the sex pistols were tools... they were used and they were made to be what they were...wait that sounds familiar, sounds like what a boy band does!

amlap
p.s.
i have nothing against the sex pistols music. infact i have their cd and i also have couple videos on them. ill be honest im a fan. but they are what they are!

SAtown_punk
He is very right. They were popular, and even more so now. It's easy to classify bands into genres because that's how companies sell records. I wouldn't go so far as to call them a boy band...at least, not by the definiton we have today.

What does him being an American have to do with anything? We can like them just as much as you can, and we're entitled to our opinions just as much as you are. Stop being a stereotypical prick.

amlap
well i used the example of boy band because boy bands are made by a certain manager/record company to make money. wel the sex pistols were put together to piss everyone off and to make money. therefor they have alot of characterisics of a boy band type.

like i said before, the sex pistols are what they are!

truly yours,
a stupid american! wink

SAtown_punk
Sex Pistiols hated being called punk...therefore, I will not call them punk.

Sex Pistol
HA! I knew you were an american. Sorry but i dont like americans because you take the mick out of us english and hate that because im very proud to be english.
Anyway stop saying that the pistols are a boy band, because it really pisses me off. Youve made your point now move on so we can talk about other stuff.

Placebo_fan
It's great that the sex pistols existed, because if they didn't, then almost EVERYONE would have the same opinion, and there would be no interest in music at that time! The sex pistols were great because they had individuality, and open minds. HAIL THE PISTOLS!!

Sex Pistol
Yeah!

amlap
sorry to drift off topic but what does mick mean?

SAtown_punk
I was thinking the same thing, man.

And for the record...do you really think Sex Pistols would have gotten famous had it not been for their widespread popularity in the states?

amity75
I liked the sex pistols but from the whole punk era my favourite band is The Stranglers.

Darth Jello
I think the only really important thing the pistols really ever did was play the neverland show that was attended by just about every person who would go on to be a CA punk legend. Jello Biafra, Bruce Loose, Crime, and Negative Trend were supposed to open, Keith Morris, Darby Crash, the list goes on.

I think that despite their much smaller fanbase, flipper had a much greater effect on music
All Hail Flipper!!!-
Bruce Loose-Bass/vocals
Will "Wild Bill" Shatter-Bass/Vocals (1980-87) RIP
Ted Falconi-Guitar
Steve Depace-Drums
Ricky Williams-Vocals (1980) RIP
John Dougherty-Bass (1990-93) RIP
Steve Demartis-Bass (1983 tour)
Moby-Vocals-(one month in 1982)

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>