Who reads New or Uncanny X-Men?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bishop777
How do like where it's going? Never in my life did I think that I would see such plot twists as I have seen in these last few months with these characters. Xorn = the evil headmaster = murderer of X-Men = not going to say who it is and spoil it if you don't know.
And in Uncanny X-Men, it reads like an action-packed soap opera The Devil = Satan = Mystique's baby dady (one of em) = Nightcrawler's father! Is this stuff going too far, or is it where it needs to be? Personally...I like it!!!

kohl
i do read new x-men. pretty interesting. as for uncanny, i think the storyline is a bit over the top (as far as i know) and i don't enjoy the art right now.

Darth Vicious
I think New X-men is excellent as always but Uncanny X-men is lacking, a few years back it was great, greta storylines, artist and they tied with X-men(New X-men) but lately is seems to stand alone from the New X-men book and i hate the fact that they made the Juggernaut a good guy and the fact that he made best friends with a little boy is just creepy!

Paola
I read both.... when it's available

Blind-Enemy
i read both and yes, i think uncanny is over the top

and what about ultimate? is really good

Maelstrom
i do. Theres a new X book comming out with cannonballs lil bro in the team. He fires some kinda blue fire from his eyes.
Juggernaut has potential. He's a moral baddie who i hope will do what wolverine will not. The hero trap is getting caught up in being a hero.
I hope Northstar and Iceman hook up.
I really liked Sage, both when she was with Hellfire and X-men.
I'm hoping Satan wants the X-men to do something for Him
Juggernaut sees beyond himself with fishboy- it's cute. We need more people to be cute in life instead of cool.
Marvel always has great quotes and messages that suggest to the world what is being asked for and what are the best ways to achieve them.
Make mine marvel.

Bishop777
It's because it is over the top that I think I like Uncanny. It seems Austen realizes that people grow in different ways. I just think it is the ultimate contradiction that Kurt Wagner has fought so hard to get close to God to find out he was never really a priest and that his father is the devil. While I understand what you are saying about the Juggernaut, I think the dynamic and character interaction between him and Charles is the best it has ever been. The Havok/Polaris story was amazing and for once, it seemed Cyclops had some sort of character.
New X-Men is still better though.

Bishop777
Wow Maelstrom, couldn't have said it better myself.

gambit88
uncanny xmen everyone reads new i don't know i never have liked it much it messes everything up and i don't like the way they draw either

Paola
I don't know about you guys and maybe you'll kill me for this but I don't like Kya Asamiya (sp) art no

gambit88
whats that?

Paola
Kia is the artist that draws or drew the latest Uncanny X-Men issues

Kes
Got any pics so I can see what they look like?

kohl
i don't like asamiya either. x-men is not supposed to look like manga.

Orion x
hey,

Orion x
u lot hav kool pics

Blind-Enemy
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Orion x
?

Orion x
i hav neva heard of the uncanny xmen

Orion x
no1 is tlkin,

Orion x
i might as well be tlkin 2 a brick wall, has evry1 left?

Kes
Orion this isnt a chat room. Replies could be imidiatly or take time. There are lots of threads here.

Bishop777
My brother saw a preview for the first four pages of the New X-Men on sale Wednesday and said that there is going down real B.I.G!!! Marvel has been saying one of the X-Men is going to die. Seeing as how Jean already "died" two issues ago, I wonder who it is going to be? So anxious, yet so afraid.

Paola
what number will that be Bishop???

VengeanceGOD
I read Uncanny. It rocks a lot. But New really really really sucks.

Bishop777
Paolo, for such a big event, the issue is at an anniversary. It will be New X-Men 150. If you haven't been reading it, I suggest picking up #146-149. These issues are the immediate set-up to everything that is going to happen in #150. There is going to be a trade paperback that collects all these issues, but I can't wait for that.

VengeanceGOD, I can understand if you don't like New because of the weird direction the book took starting with issue #113, but you have to respect Morrison's sense of grandeur. He set this up all the way from the beginning of his run. Magneto infilitrated the X-Men and broke them apart from without and within. Everything that happened since Genosha was destroyed, 16 million mutants were killed, him faking his death in the same incident was all setup for a huge moment three years down the road!

Bungee_toad
i also read uncanny and i have to say it is awsome now with everything happining,

SK88728
is the new x-men have the X2 plot in it? because i read a clip in another post. it seemed really cool. please answer.

VengeanceGOD
The book took a weird direction from the first issue, from the moment when Cyclops killed someone in cold blood. Yeah, I know, it was a mercy killing, but it was a killing nonetheless, and completely out of character for Cyclops. From there, Morrison showed that he a) didn't know anything about the X-men and b) didn't particularly care either. Genosha was a stupid thing to do, considering a nation with Magneto in charge is one of the greatest plot points ever. Eliminating it proves nothing. Turning Magneto into a callous villain who wants to destroy everything proves nothing.

Then there's some of the dumb threats he's come up with. Cassandra Nova? Oh yeah...it makes a lot of sense for Xavier to have a "long lost sister." Where did he get that, soap opera 101? And "Weapon Y", or whatever that crappy guy he came up with was. WTF? The PROGRAM was named Weapon X, Wolverine was not.

If you want to read a REAL Magneto story, read the filler story by Scott Lobdell that came into place before Grant Morrison took over. And oh yeah-Magneto was killed by Wolverine at the end of it. But Morrison is so damn egotistical that he decided to ignore everything that any writer had ever written before him.

Now, on the other hand Uncanny has had storylines with damn good characters, great characterization, and real attention to detail that Morrison could never do in his life.

ontplof
just for the record..: Are New xmen en Uncanny xmen 2 different storylines unconnected to eachother like a paralel universe? confused embarrasment

VengeanceGOD
No, they follow two different teams of X-men in the SAME universe.

Darth Vicious
I used to like it better when both books were connected, i follow both but im more inclind to New X-men but i dont like the direction its taken, it seems way to dark and damn they making Magnetoi a freaking junkie and what the f*@k is wrong with them people, corny as character, a bird guy, a guy with one eye a freaking brain in a bubble i cant wait until Morrison leaves which is soon, Anybody caught the preview of his last story with Marc Sylvestry, artwork looks awsome!! And Uncanny i follow but like i said before somewhere it seems over the top, Nightcralers fathers is the devil? please and make the Juggernaut a bad guy again on the other hand Northstar's homosexual remarks are funny!

Has anyone of u read the new Marvel comic book called NYX, i just finish reading issue #3 and at the end they showed that girl from Evo who i believe to be Wolvies relative as a freaking whore, getting paid and everything to be with men!! Check it out!

Bishop777
Hadn't read NYX #3 yet, but I read the other two and will read it. As for the Lobdell story, trust me, I read it. But I didn't think it was assumed that Magneto was dead though. Also Lobdell and Nicieza are in my top five of best X-writers (Lobdell probably first).

In regards to all these plot lines being over the top, I agree they are, but I believe they are needed. I get tired of watching the same Rogue/Gambit storyline or the loner Wolverine story. Give me something new and unexpected; Austen and Morrison are doing both.

I don't think the mercy killing was so out of character. Due to the merging with Apocalypse, Scott's state of mind was different, which Morrison touched on more than a few times in his run. Nova was kind of soap opera style, but in the end it worked with the body switch. Nightcrawler's dad identity was cool too. Explains his appearance and why brimstone scent is present when he teleports.

I think the best though was the destruction of Genosha and how it is wrapped up 30+ issues later. Magneto already was crazy since Claremont times. Remember when he was turned into a child, Moira MacTaggert took it upon herself to mess with his genetic structure (recapped in X-Men #1-3). Not to mention all the stuff he has seen in his lifetime. It is a wonder why this is just happening now. He is sick of humanity, and setting up a Genosha massacre by Sentinels, rationalizes his final strike against humanity. He was itching for a fight and now is going to get one.

You're right he wasn't Weapon ten; it was a setup, that's why Wolverine took down Weapon XV so easily. Part of Magneto's plan to separate them before his coup de' etat. Notice we got no details into Logan's past in those issues; because there was none.

Bishop777
Also, if you like Scott Lobdell, try and find Gambit and Bishop mini-series. It involves these two and a two well known brothers. One real one a clone. Very important to X-Men continuity.

Try and keep this thread going; love talking about this stuff.

VengeanceGOD
Yeah, I suppose. I just don't like seeing my X-men become the same kind of dark, violent authority esque characters that remove character development for the sake of senseless violence.

And also, Magneto was definitely dead at the end of Scott Lobdell's run. Now if Morrison had said that Magneto faked his own death THERE, that'd be fine. But having him fake dying in the sentinel genocide doesn't make sense.

As for Juggernaut being a hero, I love that. The argument between him and Xavier in Uncanny recently was perhaps one of the best Xavier scenes ever written. Nice to see the guy show some emotion once in a while.

Paola
thanx Bishop ^

kohl
>having him fake dying in the sentinel genocide doesn't make sense.

it doesn't? i thought that faking his death and then infiltrating the x-men was a wise move. even if it's been done many times.

VengeanceGOD
*sigh* Let me explain it ONE MORE TIME.

Wolverine killed him on Genosha at the end of Scott Lobdell's run. Again, WOLVERINE KILLED HIM ON GENOSHA AT THE END OF SCOTT LOBDELL'S RUN. Yet, somehow, a few issues later in New X-men, he's alive again, and then fakes his own death when the Sentinels attack. Again, YET, SOMEHOW, A FEW ISSUES LATER IN NEW X-MEN, HE'S ALIVE AGAIN, AND THEN FAKES HIS OWN DEATH WHEN THE SENTINELS ATTACK. So you see how this makes NO SENSE. It would have helped Morrison out a lot if he had bothered to read the comics before him, but he's proved that he hates following other people's good writing.

kohl
>*sigh* Let me explain it ONE MORE TIME.

please don't be condescending.

perhaps he read it and he chose to ignore it. granted, he didn't follow what happened before. that might be inconsistent, but so is much of the x-men history. and it doesn't make him a crappy writer.

Darth Vicious
Ive always loved MAgneto and the fact that his powers are pretty awsome made him unstopable chaaracter but now they make him seem weak using that stupid drug and i agree it makes no sense in killing him and keep bringing him back and i liked the fact that he was in charge of his own country in a way, something like Dr.Doom which made him more of a threat and it made no sense that by faking his own death he let all the mutants in Genosha die which makes him a hypocrite because he wants whats best for mutants but yet he ley millions die!

izzygirlxp
I read Uncanny and New X-men, I just got the new issue of Uncanny X-men a few minutes. What't the deal with Nightcrawler and Scarlet Witch?

VengeanceGOD
Longest. Sentence. Ever. Dude, you realize that if you used punctuation people would pay a lot more attention to you?

I'm not trying to be condescending. It's just that I explained that three or four times already, and it frustrates me when people don't understand it.

Yes, it does. If you're writing for a comic book, you have a responsibility to not trample all over the work of previous writers. Not to mention it happened the issue before he took over. You'd think he could read back that far.

The only deal I can think of between the two of them is that in an alternate reality discussed in Exiles, they married and had a child, Nocturne.

kohl
>It's just that I explained that three or four times already, and it frustrates me when people don't understand it.

maybe they do and just feel differently. continuity has always been weird as far as x-men comics is concerned. it can be annoying when some new writer does as he pleases, but at the end of the day it is his decision. some people will like it, some others won't. always happens.

VengeanceGOD
Again, I don't agree with that at all. I think if you're a new writer in an ongoing series, changing everything to be the way you want it is the height of irresponsibility.

kohl
i guess we'll never agree but i do know what you mean and respect it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.