Anakin in Ep 1....naughty or nice

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Angelus
Just be interested to hear what everyone thinks about this...
The first few times I watched Ep 1 I liked everyone, including Jar Jar and Anakin....but I found that as I watched it more Anakin really started to get on my nerves....
At the time I put it down to the fact that I didn't like Jake Lloyds acting style, or that maybe his lines were too corny, but after watching the dvd again this weekend i've changed my mind,....

Maybe the reason anakin bugs me, and so many star wars fans, is that we aren't really meant to like him....
Sure he might seem a nice enough kid and his mum says he gives without any thought of reward, etc,etc....but there is a far less likeable side to his character...
He is arrogant....always trying to prove himself better than those around him....my pod is better.....my driving skills are better....etc,etc,etc.... He is far from the selfless, humble jedi image that we might see in Qui Gon, or Obi Wan...
Maybe we are bugged by him, because it is natural to be bugged by anyone that talks themselves up just a bit too much?
Sure he is only a kid, and sure we feel sorry for him that he leaves his mum....but does this change anything?
What do people think?

Brith
This is an interesting point of view for me as I've always felt that Anakin was too nice and that should be more of an edge to him.

His arrogance is a fair point but I thought it was just part of a kind of rogue-like charm of his - much like Han from the original three. Mind you, I never thought it came off as well as it did on Han..

Angelus
I think you are right that he can come across as too nice at times, but it is pretty selective. He respects the jedi, and is good to his mother... Like Palpatine, his overconfidence is his weakness. He throws himself recklessly into situations eg pod racing, fight with sebulba, and the space battle at the end....Whilst we accept this because he is fighting the good fight, how much of it is a desire to be the hero....sure his motives are good now, so him being the hero is fine, but what will happen in Ep2 when those motives start to stray.

King Jedi
I agree with both of you. There was a lot more to Anakin in TPM than just "a good kid". He was always trying to prove himself to everyone and was really cocky. But in TPM like Qui-Gon said "he gives without any thought of reward". But how long will that last?

In the next two films he is going to try and prove himself even more and when he isn't rewarded your going to see how he's changed, for the worst.

Ushgarak
He's the typical brash kid- worse, a brash kid who really IS talented. He'd probably wind me up in real life as well, but it;s difficult to hate him in the end

ToMacco
He's very agressive.

Texas
You people are all bonkers! Anakin is a darling angle in EP1. Stopping to talk to that old wrinkled prune, letting strangers into his decrepid hut, and putting his life on the line many times to help the Jedi. Then on the DVD outakes, it shows his saying bye to that dried up witch looking old woman. He's a nice kid, and JL acting wasn't good enough to give me the impression that he has theis deep evil side roll eyes (sarcastic)

King Jedi
No one is sating he did. Of course he was a good kid. Which is what he was meant to be.
What we were saying is that he is TOO nice and TOO eager. In TPM he doesn't expect any reward for this but when he's older he will.

Texas
He just needs a good hard spanking smokin'

finti
are you an angel man that Lloyd dude annoyed almost as much as Goofy(Jar Jar)

Texas
me too!!! and that 'but I', to QuiGon, really annoying roll eyes (sarcastic)

finti
As for the topic Anakin was nice, just the perfect little lad.
Why'? Cause Jack`o `boy dont have the ability to act otherwise
"This is tense" blahhhhhh

King Jedi
I feel sorry for you guys. roll eyes (sarcastic) sad

finti
Why cause we can spot a lousy actor?

King Jedi
No. Because you feel the need to constantly criticise a 9 year old boy.

And if it's not that then you are slating a CGI comic character. Something that doesn't even exist. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
Hey, he's an actor, he stepped up on the plate; he's as valid a target for criticism as any public figure.

Not that *I* criticise him, but nor would I shield him from it.

Texas
GL should of picked that scruffy looking Luke Skywalker look alike kid, as seen on the DVD. Or anyone else for that matter! roll eyes (sarcastic)

mah
that's bull. lloyd is a perfectly good actor. i've not seen any better than him in USA(other than osment), and he did a good job in TPM, he did just what he was ment to do.

Texas
Pinocchio wouldn't have been half as wooden as JL, if he had gotten the part roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ratcat
This is supposed to be about the character, NOT the actor. If this is just gonna turn into a Jake Lloyd bashing session then it can be closed down. mad

finti
Anakin is stupid in EPI big grin

King Jedi
How do you work that one out?

Even Ewan McGregor said that Jake Lloyd was the best kid actor he'd worked with.

Texas
probably the only child actor he's ever worked withroll eyes (sarcastic)

Bo-Eee
LOL Jake annoyed the pants off me, I really like Jar Jar more,I think its safe to assume there are a lot more better actors his age doing the circuit, or have done in the past.

The theory about his over confidence to turn him to the dark side sounds about right though, i can see that, but when seeing the film for the first time, i also thought that maybe something happens to his mother that actually causes the turn, something family related anyway. Because at the end of the day it was his own son that finally turned him back to being a good guy again?

As for Jake being cast as a luke skywalker look alike i don't know why that could possible be taken into account, as both luke and leia were twins she was of dark hair like her mother, but that could still meant that luke could have been dark and leia blonde, or both blonde, in jedi don't you notice how dark Luke's hair looks?

Anyway i don't want to get into that lol

Ushgarak
Yes, but GL clearly wanted the father/son relation to be shown as extremely strong; Luke is hos father's son and Leia her mother's daughter. Luke is, after all, the true continiuity for the central plot.

Bo-Eee
I think on looking back at the movies, that bond could have been shown a little more than what was, they could have done with an extra few scenes where anakin survived long enough to get a chance to say proper goodbyes and amends to his past to both twins.

Texas
Yes I agree, I think that could of thrown a going away bash(with strippers) for Anakinrolling on floor laughing

ToMacco
I disagree. Anakin died well.

(although, strippers would have been nice!rolling on floor laughing )

Texas
*waves hand like Jedi*A going away bash will do fine

SilentMike
Osment should have been Anakin he was great in A.I. almost all child actors out there don't have the scope of his talent

Texas
Try convincing some of these, cant recognize true acting talent when they see it, forum membersroll eyes (sarcastic)
JL stunk!!!!! Like 7 day old fish that were covered in sour creme and left out in the hot sun for 3 months. Peeee Uuuuuuu!!!

King Jedi
If Haley Joel Osment had been cast as Anakin it would have been a massive mistake!!!!
He is good at playing the weird kid. The kid who nobody would talk to at school. THAT'S NOT ANAKIN!!! I don't know why some people don't get this. Wake up!!
mad

Bo-Eee
I can see your point, i agree with silent mike, although i found AI a little boring he isn't a bad actor, remind me where i saw him in another film recently.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.