Within Temptation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

in flames
who here likes this power metal band ? the singerh as a evry heavenly voice..if you like nightwish you'll love this band

MUSE(a band)_16
i hate them they suck
i hope they die

in flames
what songs made you say that about them and why ? you dont like there musicall ability ?

Be@st
I like within temptation; I think they're great.

masterkit

Alpha Centauri
At least make your own post.

-AC

masterkit
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
At least make your own post.

-AC

I put it together, so technically I made it. Why did I know you'd post first. erm

Alpha Centauri
Because you knew I'd comment on the fact that you opened a thread to more or less paste the biography of a band, rather than putting a bit of effort into it yourself?

Might be why. Had you not done so, I'd not have posted, just clicked to see what you wrote.

-AC

Slay
I prefer After Forever.
Their singer is better ( I'd even go as far as to say that she's the best of the genre), Sharon den Adel has poor range while singing live and Within Temptation have been becoming more popular with the years ( in the Netherlands at least )which comes with them adjusting their sound to sound more mainstream. Which makes them look like a bad Evanescence clone.

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by Slay
Which makes them look like a bad Evanescence clone.

I sense a little redundancy in that phrase.

Slay
Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
I sense a little redundancy in that phrase.
Of course. Excuse me for not saying ''and Evanescence is shit as it is.''

masterkit
They can't be Evenescence clones, they're wer released before them. Also, maybe, unlike some bands, they like to change their sound instead of repeat themselves.

Alpha Centauri
That would explain why it sounds the same.

-AC

masterkit
You misunderstood me, I mean they don't repeat themselves every album. Sharon changes her voice and they try new sounds.

Slay
Originally posted by masterkit
You misunderstood me, I mean they don't repeat themselves every album. Sharon changes her voice and they try new sounds.
Tell me, how exactly does Sharon 'change her voice'? And the times they change their sound are few, the only time I recall is when they decided that they had to get more mainstream. Every album has the same formula - Strings, heavy guitar riffs, double bass drums and female vocals. They never step out of the 'Goth' box.
They can't be Evenescence clones, they're wer released before them. Also, maybe, unlike some bands, they like to change their sound instead of repeat themselves.
The fact that they were formed before Evanescence has nothing to do with it. They started as an average goth-metal band, then altered their entire act to look and sound like Evanescence.

masterkit
Tell me, how exactly does Sharon 'change her voice'? And the times they change their sound are few, the only time I recall is when they decided that they had to get more mainstream. Every album has the same formula - Strings, heavy guitar riffs, double bass drums and female vocals. They never step out of the 'Goth' box.

The fact that they were formed before Evanescence has nothing to do with it. They started as an average goth-metal band, then altered their entire act to look and sound like Evanescence.

On the album "Mother Earth" she had more melodic songs and used her vocals that way. On "Silent Earth" she basically used the same vocal tone, and mostly just had level sound. Now with "The Heart of Everything" they do sound more mainstream, but they are still are on a entirely different level than Evanescence. Not only in their look but in voices. Except on the SONG "The Heart of Everything" Sharon still uses high-pitched singing. Amy Lee, on the other hand, keeps her voice fairly deep hardly ever going high. She only does on such notable tracks such as "Lachrymosa" and also it's fairly high on "Sweet Sacrifice."

By changing their sound, which I'm talking about album to album, but also on each song on the album "The Heart of Everything" Frozen is the one that sounds most Evanescence-like, but on such songs like "Our Solemn Hour" they sound very different by adding that background chorus. I'd type more but I have to go get a dead mouse out of my cousins bathtub.

-MK

Slay
On the album "Mother Earth" she had more melodic songs and used her vocals that way. On "Silent Earth" she basically used the same vocal tone, and mostly just had level sound. Now with "The Heart of Everything" they do sound more mainstream, but they are still are on a entirely different level than Evanescence. Not only in their look but in voices. Except on the SONG "The Heart of Everything" Sharon still uses high-pitched singing. Amy Lee, on the other hand, keeps her voice fairly deep hardly ever going high. She only does on such notable tracks such as "Lachrymosa" and also it's fairly high on "Sweet Sacrifice."

By changing their sound, which I'm talking about album to album, but also on each song on the album "The Heart of Everything" Frozen is the one that sounds most Evanescence-like, but on such songs like "Our Solemn Hour" they sound very different by adding that background chorus. I'd type more but I have to go get a dead mouse out of my cousins bathtub.

-MK
Funny how you keep going on about how the singers sound differently, as if it makes any difference on how both band's MUSIC sounds much alike. There's a fairly high chance that one singer doesn't sound like the other, it doesn't mean that their music is completely different because of it.

masterkit
Funny how you keep going on about how the singers sound differently, as if it makes any difference on how both band's MUSIC sounds much alike. There's a fairly high chance that one singer doesn't sound like the other, it doesn't mean that their music is completely different because of it.

Their music IS different though. Evanescence stays with the harder guitar stuff while WT uses more operamatic sounds.

Ravencrest
They're not bad.

Slay
WT uses more operamatic sounds.
To make it seem as if they're not just ''doing the harder guitar stuff'.

Wind Sister
*scared to death to post in this thread with an Ev signature*

I find the two bands to be completely different, but excuse me for trying to avoid the raging battle that seems to appear between the two bands fans.

On topic, anyway,
They're pretty good. I'm glad they signed on with Roadrunner, that way we can get some stuff over here in the U.S.

Shanon has a pretty neat voice, very high. I could never sing-along.

I'm still in the process of begging my mother to let me order "The Heart of Everything"

*runs*

masterkit
Originally posted by Wind Sister
*scared to death to post in this thread with an Ev signature*

I find the two bands to be completely different, but excuse me for trying to avoid the raging battle that seems to appear between the two bands fans.

On topic, anyway,
They're pretty good. I'm glad they signed on with Roadrunner, that way we can get some stuff over here in the U.S.

Shanon has a pretty neat voice, very high. I could never sing-along.

I'm still in the process of begging my mother to let me order "The Heart of Everything"

*runs*

Oh, don't worry, I like Evanescence. Though, if you'd like I could make you a cool Ev sig. smile

The weird thing is we got an account same month, year, your like 4 days younger than me, our old or new names both have to do with star wars. O.o

I like you. FRIEND!

Wind Sister
Oh, don't worry, I like Evanescence. Though, if you'd like I could make you a cool Ev sig. smile

The weird thing is we got an account same month, year, your like 4 days younger than me, our old or new names both have to do with star wars. O.o

I like you. FRIEND!

Wow, a lot to address. . .here goes:

1) YAY!! I feel better now.

2) eek! Really?

That's neat, I would have never noticed that XD. . .and, yeah, Huge SW fan.

FRIEND laughing

masterkit
Wow, a lot to address. . .here goes:

1) YAY!! I feel better now.

2) eek! Really?

That's neat, I would have never noticed that XD. . .and, yeah, Huge SW fan.

FRIEND laughing

smile

chillmeistergen
I have a huge disliking of that genre that's been created. All these bands like Within Temptation, Nightwish and Evanescence are just driven at the market of teenage goth kids. They all use the same style riffs etc. It just winds me up, there's nothing innovative at all about these bands. There's no passion in it, it's music made to make money.

Wind Sister
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I have a huge disliking of that genre that's been created. All these bands like Within Temptation, Nightwish and Evanescence are just driven at the market of teenage goth kids. They all use the same style riffs etc. It just winds me up, there's nothing innovative at all about these bands. There's no passion in it, it's music made to make money.

Honestly, I have to disagree with that.

The music is neither written to target "goth teens" nor to make money. It's just the style of music they write.

And saying it targets "goth teens" is being very general. If you look into it, actually look into, most of the people who listen to WT and Ev etc are actually normal. . .happy. . .people big grin

Bardock42
smile Ahhh, you are the gay kid that liked Everwood. I remember.

masterkit
Originally posted by Bardock42
Ahhh, you are the gay kid that liked Everwood. I remember.

Ahhh, I'm not a gay kid! Though, I do like Everwood.

I have to disagree as well, I'm not goth or emo or anything near that. I love Ev and WT.

chillmeistergen
Two people dosen't make an exception. It's obviously marketed at that group.

masterkit
Two people dosen't make an exception. It's obviously marketed at that group.

It's not marketed at anyone specific. As I said I'm not goth or emo and I like them, I bet there are other people out there. Because I made the thread about them you probably thought I was emo or goth. That's stereotyping man and thats not cool.

Bardock42
It's not marketed at anyone specific. As I said I'm not goth or emo and I like them, I bet there are other people out there. Because I made the thread about them you probably thought I was emo or goth. That's stereotyping man and thats not cool.

It is certainly marketed at someone in specific. I mean, there's hardly any doubt for that.

chillmeistergen

That's trying to put words in my mouth man, that's not cool.

masterkit
That's trying to put words in my mouth man, that's not cool.

Your saying you know what the band's intentions were. They're just making music for themselves, if a certain "cliche" listened to it preppy, jock, or goth, I honestly don't think they'd care if they did or didn't.

chillmeistergen
Your saying you know what the band's intentions were. They're just making music for themselves, if a certain "cliche" listened to it preppy, jock, or goth, I honestly don't think they'd care if they did or didn't.

A certain cliche?

Right look at all these bands names, look at the way they all dress, look at the average listener and look their song titles etc. Do this, then come back and tell me that they're not marketed, at a specific group of people.

pcp
The music transcends 'goth teenagers' and takes on the broader market of dickheads.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by pcp
The music transcends 'goth teenagers' and takes on the broader market of dickheads.

Yep, and then when it's pointed out they kick up a fuss saying ''I'm not a goth, but I like them''. Which makes it all the more sad.

Wind Sister
Yep, and then when it's pointed out they kick up a fuss saying ''I'm not a goth, but I like them''. Which makes it all the more sad.

Alright, well, I definitely see where you're coming from. And I do agree, in a way. I honestly think that the band just writes music the way they want to write music. . .and whoever likes it is the group that they'll be put under.

I hope you can kind of see where I'm coming from too, though. I've been around both bands for a while. Bin to a few concerts, talked on a majority of fan forums. And all I can say is 80% of the people I've talked to aren't that "goth" or even depressed to a point.

So maybe they're targeting, but if so, a lot of the people that they're getting aren't what they shot at.

CristinaScabbia
I like Within Temptation, and I think they're a good band! But I hate the fact that there are lots of people who compare any kind of woman fronted metal bands with Evanescence.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by CristinaScabbia
I like Within Temptation, and I think they're a good band! But I hate the fact that there are lots of people who compare any kind of woman fronted metal bands with Evanescence.

It's not that it's fronted by a female, it's that it's marketed to the exact same group, in the exact same way and they don't even realise it. I would never dream of say comparing Le Tigre to Evanescence, because they're entirely different. However, all the bands I've previously mentioned are nothing more than a marketing strategy.

T.M
Great song w00t

JizBVv-J5_0

Bardock42
Originally posted by T.M
Great song w00t

JizBVv-J5_0 No. Just...NO. Bad T.M. Bad!

Wind Sister

I don't like it either, but it's kind of natural. Evanescence made it big. Evanescence kind of paved the way and brought up awareness of female fronted bands. The comparison's are going to happen.

WT definitely has a sound of it's own. I like it. But they are female fronted, they are "gothic" they are going to be compared to Ev.

Has The Heart of Everything been released in the U.S. yet? I guess I could go look it up myself.

Is it worth buying?

Mišt
Sweet, I was trying to remember the name of this band cause I liked the album cover of The Silent Force.

CristinaScabbia
I don't like it either, but it's kind of natural. Evanescence made it big. Evanescence kind of paved the way and brought up awareness of female fronted bands. The comparison's are going to happen.

WT definitely has a sound of it's own. I like it. But they are female fronted, they are "gothic" they are going to be compared to Ev.

Has The Heart of Everything been released in the U.S. yet? I guess I could go look it up myself.

Is it worth buying?

Yeah, you're right, I agree.
It hasn't been released yet. It's coming out around July. I downloaded it, and in my opinion it's better and harder than The Silent Force.

Wind Sister
Yeah, you're right, I agree.
It hasn't been released yet. It's coming out around July. I downloaded it, and in my opinion it's better and harder than The Silent Force.

Alright, well I'll keep an eye out for it big grin

I really liked the Silent Force, but not so much Mother Earth.

I've heard a couple of songs from the new album, but I didn't really like What Have You Done Now? and that was the single. . .so. . .I just wanted to make sure the rest of the album was better.

Kid Kurdy
The singer of Within Temptation reminds me a bit of Kate Bush.

masterkit
Originally posted by Kid Kurdy
The singer of Within Temptation reminds me a bit of Kate Bush.

By looks or musical talents? I mean, if Kate Bush is done up right or vice versa maybe, but never in musical talents.

Though, WT did do a version of "Running Up That Hill."

WT released a new video for "The Howling" because it is being released as a single in the UK. I think it looks abit old fashioned until the everything is set darker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bqRn0rLq1c

Wind Sister

WT released a new video for "The Howling" because it is being released as a single in the UK. I think it looks abit old fashioned until the everything is set darker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bqRn0rLq1c

THE WAVING ARMS ARE BACK!!!!

Hella ^_^

Her hair in the darker scenes rules. That was a pretty good video, for the most part.

masterkit
THE WAVING ARMS ARE BACK!!!!

Hella ^_^

Her hair in the darker scenes rules. That was a pretty good video, for the most part.

Yeah she looks really pretty in the darker settings. I like when their vids have a storyline though. smile

I love that little girl! Her face, especially in the dark settings, just looks so inquisitive! I want a little girl like that.

Wind Sister
Do you know about how many singles they'll have for THoE?

I would like to see Our Solemn Hour as a single, merely because it seems to be. . .the most. . ."Within Temptationy" on the new album, that I've heard so far.

It's got the sound I've grown to love.

[Walkah]
Do you know about how many singles they'll have for THoE?

I would like to see Our Solemn Hour as a single, merely because it seems to be. . .the most. . ."Within Temptationy" on the new album, that I've heard so far.

It's got the sound I've grown to love.

RIGHT ON!

[Walkah]
I just bought "The Heart of Everything" CD yesterday, it had just come out yesterday too. In America anway. I'm so happy, because it's the first CD they've ever put in America. woo! And they have an extended version of "What Have You Done" that sounds like the Within Temptation that I love and not the mainstream sound like the singled version.

~Forever*Alone~
omg i love them!!!! i love them!!! im gonna buy every cd they have as soon as i find them!!!

wicker_man
I've seen 'em twice (including meeting 'em). I was right at the front (in front of guitarist Ruddi) at their recent London gig, he chucked out one of his plectrums to which I caught and before the encore he literally handed me another.

Wind Sister
Originally posted by SkinWalker
I just bought "The Heart of Everything" CD yesterday, it had just come out yesterday too. In America anway. I'm so happy, because it's the first CD they've ever put in America. woo! And they have an extended version of "What Have You Done" that sounds like the Within Temptation that I love and not the mainstream sound like the singled version.

Yah? I should take a look, I'm sure I can find it somewhere.

Now that it's out, I can't spare the money to get it. Ooooh the irony.

I'll just wait until the end of the month, after the Ev concert is out of the way, and get The Heart of Everything as well as Nightwish's Dark Passion Play ^_^

Strangelove
I like them.

Metal with a female vocalist always gets me

Shinde Imasu
Yeah, I like the sound ... I haven't actually seen any of the video clips, but my girlfriend is a big-time fan, so I've ended up hearing most of their songs ... But I agree with what was said earlier, about them being compared to Evanescence ... No matter whether we like it or not, there are gonna be people out there who will think that any female-fronted goth band sounds like Evanescence ... There's nothing we can do about it ... Which sucks majorly (u_u) ... But oh well, what can you do? Let 'em think what they wanna think ...

Wind Sister
Ode to Gothic Rock.

Female fronted rock bands aren't so common, and for that the little group that exists will be placed together.

I don't much mind that, they're a cute little group. The only one I don't like in said group is Nightwish, though they're better, imo, with the new lead singer.

I just don't like their music to be compared. Stuck together, SURE, just don't say: OMG they're exactly the same.

WT is so. . .unique.

Anywho, I can afford the CD now. I'm taking the money I got back from the canceled Ev concert( ;.; ;.; ;.; ) and putting towards 'The Silent Force' 'The Heart of Everything' and 'Dark Passion Play' (MUCH better with Annette)

Strangelove
WHAT? You prefer Annette to Tarja?

Blasphemy

Wind Sister
Originally posted by Strangelove
WHAT? You prefer Annette to Tarja?

Blasphemy

I dunno. . .Tarja was waaaaaay to operatic. I loved the guitar, the general sound, but I just didn't like the carry-on vocals so much.

Annettes got a. . .peppier(?) voice.

Anywho, maybe that's why I'd take 'The Silent Force' over 'Mother Earth' anyday XD

Jaime Sommers

Is it worth buying?

No idea about the release date for the US, but this is certainly worth buying! I'll let you in on a secret...I had never heard of Within Temptation, and only bought THOE because I was attracted by the album cover. I took it home, played it, and became an instant fan.

So yes, this album is a must have! :thumbsup:

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by in flames
who here likes this power metal band ? the singerh as a evry heavenly voice..if you like nightwish you'll love this band

great symphonic rock.

Tempe Brennan
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
great symphonic rock.

I would say Nightwish is more symphonic rock, while WT is more Goth rock - at least that's how they are described.

Personally, I don't care what they are, they freaking rock my socks off! wink

I have noticed that Sharon's voice sounds slightly raspy when she sings live - I thought maybe she was a smoker, as you can usually tell... confused

Not 100% sure, though. I've just watched their Rock am Ring performance, which was brilliant.

'Ice Queen' is the perfect song to end the set. thumb up

SkinWalker
Originally posted by Tempe Brennan
I would say Nightwish is more symphonic rock, while WT is more Goth rock - at least that's how they are described.

Personally, I don't care what they are, they freaking rock my socks off! wink

I have noticed that Sharon's voice sounds slightly raspy when she sings live - I thought maybe she was a smoker, as you can usually tell... confused

Not 100% sure, though. I've just watched their Rock am Ring performance, which was brilliant.

'Ice Queen' is the perfect song to end the set. thumb up

Mother Earth and The Silent Force are clearly symphonic and The Heart of Everything was more Goth Rock, but held up the symphonic element in a few songs.

Tempe Brennan
Originally posted by SkinWalker
Mother Earth and The Silent Force are clearly symphonic and The Heart of Everything was more Goth Rock, but held up the symphonic element in a few songs.

I could agree with that. smile

Britrogue
Originally posted by in flames

Within Temptation are absolutely fabulous.
I saw them live last year. AMAZING. I think they just keep getting better and better

Tempe Brennan
Originally posted by Britrogue
Within Temptation are absolutely fabulous.
I saw them live last year. AMAZING. I think they just keep getting better and better

I am totally obsessed with them, I really do hope they tour Australia one day. Apparently they would like to visit, so lets hope they get around to it! smile

*T*
Not bad song.

Tempe Brennan
I've only just recently seen the clip for 'Frozen'. Took me that long to download, when I could have just gone to YouTube!

Anyway, the clip has a domestic violence theme. I like the clip - all proceeds were donated to a charity that helps people who are victims of violence at home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JizBVv-J5_0

Wind Sister
I've only just recently seen the clip for 'Frozen'. Took me that long to download, when I could have just gone to YouTube!

Anyway, the clip has a domestic violence theme. I like the clip - all proceeds were donated to a charity that helps people who are victims of violence at home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JizBVv-J5_0

Hadn't seen that one yet.

It's very real. . .very.

Well I'm extremely glad for what they did with that. It's needed.

Tempe Brennan
Hadn't seen that one yet.

It's very real. . .very.

Well I'm extremely glad for what they did with that. It's needed.

Yep, the clip is real, and I do like it how we see she's in prison but we have to wait until the end of the clip to find out why...like an unanswered question...

Wind Sister
Either way, I love where there hearts are in that one.

I'm trying not to get to attached. Especially now. I'm not really looking into the band, just looking at the music.

I still need to get THoE, though. I haven't even looked in a while.

Tempe Brennan
I still need to get THoE, though. I haven't even looked in a while.

Great album, but if you don't have The Silent Force yet, may I suggest you purchase this one first - it is their most succusful album to date, and listening to it, you'll see why. smile

Wind Sister
Great album, but if you don't have The Silent Force yet, may I suggest you purchase this one first - it is their most succusful album to date, and listening to it, you'll see why. smile

I don't own TSF personally, but I've heard all the songs.

It's my favorite by far. I love the sound. I didn't really like 'Mother Earth' so it was refreshing to hear it.

Either way, if I could purchase them both, I would, but I can't put money towards that right now sad

Britrogue
The Silent Force is also my favourite album. Mother Earth is definately an aquired taste, it's very spiritual, and certainly has some gems, like Ice Queen. Anyone seen the video for that? So cool!

Tempe Brennan
The Silent Force is also my favourite album. Mother Earth is definately an aquired taste, it's very spiritual, and certainly has some gems, like Ice Queen. Anyone seen the video for that? So cool!

Ice Queen is my favourite WT video! I love the 'fairy' dress she wears! It's gorgeous!
I didn't like Mother Earth when I first heard it, but after a few listens, I can't get enough of it!

Did you guys know, that Mother Earth (the song) is supposedly (this is what I heard) written about Sharon's dead cat?

I think it was more inspired by the death of her cat, as the song is certainly about Mother Nature herself... smile

Wind Sister
The song Mother Earth rules, and you'd be surprised at what can inspire a song, even the really dramatic ones with absolutely amazing lyrics XD

I love the beginning of Mother Earth, the instruments and everything. . .I don't so much like the lyrics.

I think my favorite song has to be 'Our Farewell' and video 'Memories'. Ooooo, Memories happy

Tempe Brennan
Memories has an awesome video clip, I love it
Our Farewell is beautiful, I love the live version with vocals by some German? opera singer (can't think of her name sorry), it was the Mother Earth tour, just brilliant...

Wind Sister
Yeah, I've seen that one a couple of times. I think my favorite 'Our Farewell' performance, however, has to be the acoustic they performed at Pink Pop.

Sharon has such an amazing voice, even out of the studio. It's great. And I've got the guitar part down, so that's an immediate YAY!

Britrogue
Have any of you guys seen them live? They're absolutely incredible. They really get the audience to join in, and get you all revved up. Fabulous!

SkinWalker
I love it when they do stuff like "Forsaken" and other songs in that type of way. That epic feel just gets to me. big grin

Tempe Brennan
Have any of you guys seen them live? They're absolutely incredible. They really get the audience to join in, and get you all revved up. Fabulous!

I haven't seen them but I have heard them and it sounds like they really do involve the audience!

Lady Ellie
GREAT BAND!! Their music sounds something taken from a movie. Very epic and beautiful...

My favourite songs are "See who I am" and "Memories" from the album "The Silent force".

Wind Sister
I was hoping that when they signed on with Roadrunner that they'd come closer to where I live, but they didn't!

But we were looking, almost weekly, to see if they would be anywhere near us. Of course. . .we were seriously neglected over on this side of the States, as usual XD

SkinWalker
I was hoping that when they signed on with Roadrunner that they'd come closer to where I live, but they didn't!

But we were looking, almost weekly, to see if they would be anywhere near us. Of course. . .we were seriously neglected over on this side of the States, as usual XD

I know! I want EVERY album here.

Tempe Brennan
Originally posted by Lady Ellie
GREAT BAND!! Their music sounds something taken from a movie. Very epic and beautiful...

My favourite songs are "See who I am" and "Memories" from the album "The Silent force".

TSF is the best album you could buy!
I know how hard it is to get their albums, I find I have to order them from overseas, which is stupid, they should be in stores. Surely they are not that unpopular.

Lady Ellie

Tempe Brennan
They are here, they just have to be ordered from the major music stores. Today I ordered The Dance and Enter. I was hoping to order Mother Earth as well, but they didn't have it. Oh well.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.