HP Inconsistencies from book to book

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

andyb44
In OotP Harry wonders about Sirius watching him play Quidditch, and wonders if Sirius thought he played as well as his father. The line in OotP is "Harry had never asked him" BUT in PoA Sirius tells Harry that except for his incursions into Hogwarts to try to get Pettigrew the only time he went out was to "watch the quidditch" and Sirius TELLS Harry "You play as good as your father did, Harry" Harry never asked him because he didn't have to, Sirius had already told him he played as well as his father.

In SS Quirrel attempts to kill Harry by strangling him, resulting in Quirrel's death. Why didn't Quirrel simply "zap" him with the "killing curse"?

I know there are more but I can't think of any at the moment.

hotsauce6548
hmmmm... good questions.... i have no idea... maybe quirrel thought he wouldnt need to use Avada Kedevra... or maybe he was too weak to use it... i dunno

bLooMiLiCioUs
i dun think quirrel was strong enuf maybe

Luna150
Where in Ootp does harry wonder if sirius thought he played quidditch as well as his dad, As far as i know it doesn't say that at all. And quirrel could have killed him but then the books wouldn't have been very interesting would they?

andyb44
page 823 about halfway down the page.
"Harry turned his back on Dumbledore and stared determinedly out of the opposite window. He could see the Quidditch stadium in the distance. Sirius had appeared there once, disguised as the shaggy black dog, so he could watch Harry play. ...He had probably come to see whether Harry was as good as James had been. ...Harry had never asked him. "

Luna150
yes ur right. I have the original version btw its in 725 in mine lol. any i think harry was saying: He never ask sirius if he was there to see if her was as good as his dad. After all sirius told him that he was as good as james

andyb44
Luna, duh, I had a brain fart there for a second, you have the British edition different publisher different typeface.
Oh well, but the feeling I got from reading that paragraph was that Harry didn't know why Sirius had come to watch the quidditch game when he told him in PoA.

Another inconsistancy which has been posted here on another thread, is Dobby's ability to apperate seemingly at will inside Hogwarts, but in just about every book since CoS Hermione maintains that "you can's apperate or disapperate inside Hogwarts" I've been waiting for Harry to shut her up with "Well, Dobby did." but it never happened.

dave123
its a mistake cos the author aint perfect

live with it

Luna150
1st all sirius said was. "you fly as well as your father" Not "I came to watch you to SEE if you flew as well as your father" Harry was wondering WHY sirius had come to watch him. And house elves have there own powerfull brand of magic. Maybe what they do isn't apparating. Maybe its just teleporting or somthing lo. This is good big grin tell me more of the "mistakes" so i can defend them big grin

Luna150
O what you going on about british edition i already told you i have the origional why go all brain farty on me?

Luna150
I NEED MORE MISTAKES. HUMOR ME!

bLooMiLiCioUs
that one abt dobby
he doesn't apparate from OUTSIDE hogwarts to INSIDE -you can't apparate INSIDE to OUTSIDE hogwarts,but still can do so WITHIN hogwarts

Luna150
Really? Now you metion it hermione has allways said u cant apparate IN or OUT the hogwarts ground. OOOO what a great idea big grin.

sauron
yeah but he apperates in on chamber of secrets,

Luna150
sauron u obviously didn't get what we men. We ment That maybe dobby was already in the hogwarts grounds and then apparated to the hospital wing. Hermione never said u cant apparate from one place in hogwarts to another

bLooMiLiCioUs
yups yup that what i said!!!big grinbig grin

nephalim27
I'm fairly certain Hermoine made it abundantly clear that it's impossible to apparate on Hogwarts grounds. It's a plot hole, that can be filled if you try too hard, but it's better just to let it go. Get over it. The books are far from free of plot holes, but that's to be expected in a series of books of that nature.

bLooMiLiCioUs
nop nope i just went back and read it again she repeats herself many times : you can apparate IN and OUT of hogwarts grounds!!!

andyb44
In Chamber of Secrets Percy docks 10 points from Ron(after he and Harry come out of Moaning Myrtle's bathroom), but in OotP Ernic Macmillen(sp?) complains that prefects can't deduct point because that would upset the whole prefect system.
At the time Percy was just a prefect.

Linkalicious
nice andy, and regarding the dobby apparating. Don't people make a loud popping or cracking sound when they apparate? In the book it says nothing about a pop or crack and then dobby appearing. And yes Hermione states several times that someone can't apparate while at hogwarts or from outside the castle grounds on into the grounds.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.