Why do only two of the Neb crew have real names?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ahnold
Think about it: we only know the real names of Neo {Mr. Anderson} and Cypher {Mr. Reagen}. Why do we never find out any of the others? In particular, I am referring to Morpheus and Trinity. Even Agent "name pedantic" Smith calls Morpheus Morpheus and the agents in "A Detective Story" call Trinity Trinity. Hmmm?

The Unknown
Good job, I never noticed that.

Maybe the agents had tracked Cypher, like they did with Neo, so they knew his name, but Morpheus and Trinity weren't ever tracked or anything, so their Matrix identities are unknown.

Ahnold
Hmmm, you're probably right about that. I just assumed that if the agents discovered that neo was trying to leave, that they would have discovered the others attempting to escape too. But maybe not

mors823
I've noticed this for sometime, haven't come up with a solid idea. The above theroy sounds credible and accurate. The agents must of never learned that Trin and Morp were escaping.

Trinity_Matrix
Or maybe the Wachowski brothers just wanted to keep Trin and Morpheus with a bit of mysteriousness?

This is something I've been wondering about myself, actually...I've been writing a fanfic about Trinity just before and after she escaped the Matrix, and since it's never said what her Matrix name was, it makes it a bit tricky.

hotsauce6548
wut is neo's real first name?.. i ferget

Trinity_Matrix
Neo's name in the Matrix was Thomas A. Anderson.

Darth Revan
Hey that is weird. I have another question: do people born in Zion have real names or are they just one word names like Morpheus and Trinity? Cuz I was thinkin about this and thought that maybe they just get cool names if they sign up to be operators on a ship. Also, what is the name of the kid who keeps talking to Neo and company after they get off the ship does anyone know sorry if its in Revolutions I haven't watched it yet

Ahnold
Interesting theory about the Zion people. I don't recall any of them having more than one name.

Oh, and about the kid who's in Reloaded and Revolutions: we find out his name in "Kid's Story", the Animatrix short in which he is introduced. He's called Michael Karl Popper. That name isn't mentioned in the films though

Mordecai
The reason the agents know Neo's and Cypher's Matrix names is because they were traced by the tracing system as Cypher was a potential to be The One............I think.

I heard it somewhere, i think its true.

The Omega

Mordecai
Or maybe because there was a huge war between machines and stuff.

And after all the humans where plugged into the matrix or killed, all ancestors were lost, no-one knew their identity.

screensaver400
In Zion, Commander Locke has a first name, although I cannot remember it. Niobe says it in greeting to him. Alex, perhaps?
EDIT:

"Locke: Three captains, one ship. I assume the other ships were lost under equally pointless circumstances?

Niobe: Good to see you too, Jason.

Locke: Council's waiting to hear an explanation. You'll forgive me for not attending, but I have to try to salvage this debacle."

from http:/ /www. gexus.com /chocolaxchix/ script3.htm

mechaban
But is Jason Locke a pod-born? Or a natural human?
He's an odd one. Most drop their Matrix "slave names" after they get out.
He's also refered to as Deadbolt. I wonder if thats his cool one word name. Or just a nickname that sprung from a play-on-words with his last name and him being a hard-ass.

The Unknown
But Smith calls Morpheus "Morpheus", yet refers to Cypher and Neo by their original names.

JediHDM
Omega> i think Cypher WAS a potential, even in the actual movie version, because Cypher says to Trin "I don't recall you ever bringing Me breakfast in bed. There is something about him, isn't there?" (appr...its been a while since i have seen Matrix...sounds like i got something to do... stick out tongue ) So i think that he was a potential, even if Morpheus didn't free four others before him like the "original" script dictates...

burlyman
what about eddy and christie?

btw. two of them were originally buzz and jazz

dragonpisces272
eddy and christie? That's animatrix right? I have'nt watched all of them yet...dang

Daedalus
As mentioned before there is one person with a full name, Jason "Deadbolt" Locke, how come he is the only person with a full name? He wasn't pod-born, he was Zion born.

Lag
Maybe the reason Agent Smith doesn't call Trinity or Morpheus by thier real names is because they were removed from the Matrix at the right age,like at 10 or something. While Neo was taken out much older at which point he had already established himself and got jobs and a social security number for the system to know who he is. Also if Cypher was a failed One then it would be the same for him. He was probably taken out at an older age while he was established.

Zion people might have "hacker names" because the former One's that rebuilt Zion had wierd names so they just carried them on.

Daedalus
Thats probably one of the better explanations I've seen Lag, well done. raver

The Unknown
The age of Cypher being taken out of the Matrix doesn't have anything to do w/ him being an anomaly or not.

JediHDM
Cypher was not removed at a weird age, otherwise Morpheus wouldn't have acted like it was a big deal that they did it to Neo...

Ahnold
Woohooo! Post no.100 people! Erm, don't know why I said that here - ah well!

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/happybday.gif

I suppose I HAVE to make some sort of contribution to the thread. Erm, well, ah - AHA! I agree with everything. Good job people.

Whew! The Governator saves the day again! stick out tongue

Lag
Didn't Cypher say how long he's been out. I think I heard him say something about that in his "Why oh Why didn't I take the Blue pill" speach or somewhere.

Unknown> The One is always taken out at the wrong age. Neo was taken out at a wierd age so that means all of the other One's were. So if Cypher was supposed to be a failed One then he would have also been taken out at the wrong age. My point with that was just to show how the Agent Smith knew his name anyways.

Jedi> I don't see your reasoning behind that. He probably just did it for Neo's sake. I mean, you could be right, but I don't see why that would matter.

The Unknown
Cyper doesn't say how long he's been out, and there is no evidence in any of the movies that all anomalies were taken out at the same age...

Sifer
Actually, there is quite a bit of evidence that he was taken out at a late age. First is the Morpheus quote: "I've seen it before, and I'm sorry.". Then we have Cypher saying: "I don't remember you ever bringing me breakfast.". Then we have Cypher constantly looking at Trinity as if he loves her, and is pissed at Neo because she fancies him as if he had been told exactly what Neo was told by the Oracle.

This is then backed up the Oracle saying: "You're going to be faced with a choice. In the one hand you will have Morpheus' life, in the other you will have your own." By this I mean that Cypher is giving up Morpheus' life to save his own.

Now, we have the quote from Cypher saying:

"He's gonna pop!" As if he know's because he has done the same thing himself.

I shouldn't need to state the obvious that Cypher's mind is having trouble letting go and wants to get back in.

There is more. See if you can spot them big grin

But anyhow, Cypher, I have a feeling, was a potential One and was freed at a late age similar to Neo.

The Unknown
-Even though Morpheus has seen it before, it shows no evidence that he saw it with Cypher.
-Cypher means that when he was first brought out, he was never brought food by her.
-Cypher does "fancy" her.
-And what does does Cypher being told by the Oracle, though she most likely didn't, that he would have to choose between himself and Morpheus have to do with Trinity and Neo...

JediHDM
my point exactly Unknown

Sifer
Put the bloody pieces together. I also know exactly what I typed and what I meant by it. But you obviously didn't. I am not going to explain it further because it requires none. But as Cypher says, "Ignorance is bliss!".

Sifer
But I will add, as it has been said. Only Cypher and Neo are called by their Matrix names. It's because (as I said) they have been through the same shit. ie. Neo was captured and interrogated by Smith, as was Cypher (The reason Smith calls him Mr.Raegan).

He was a potential One and was released at a late age, much like Neo. But he didn't know something, unlike Neo. Hint: Oracle.

The One Himself
Originally posted by Sifer
But I will add, as it has been said. Only Cypher and Neo are called by their Matrix names. It's because (as I said) they have been through the same shit. ie. Neo was captured and interrogated by Smith, as was Cypher (The reason Smith calls him Mr.Raegan).

He was a potential One and was released at a late age, much like Neo. But he didn't know something, unlike Neo. Hint: Oracle.

Good job! The best answer till now!
thumb up yes

Sifer
Why thank you.

Lag
Correction. It isn't during his "Why oh why didn't I take the Blue Pill" speech. It's during his talk to Smith. He says something like"When I put this steak in my mouth I know the Matrix is telling my brain it's real. But do you know what I relize after "9" years? Ignorance is Bliss." This doesn't prove that he's a failed One, although it's proof enough for me, but it does prove he was established and that's how Smith know his name.

Lag
This 9 years thing may not be proof enough that Cypher was unplugged 9 years prior to M1 for some people, because he doesn't come out and say "I was unplugged 9 years ago." So then you have to ask "After 9 years of what.....?" Questioning if the Matrix is better than living in a horrible real world. So now we now Cypher has been "questioning" for 9 years, but how do we know when was unplugged? Because he says to Neo "I know what your thinking, I've been thinking the same thing since I got here. Why oh why didn't I take the Blue Pill." or something like that. So that tells us that he was unplugged 9 years ago and instantly started thinking about going back. There that's proof enough.

The Unknown
You may see it the way you're thinking, but even though it's possible to connect what is said in the movie, it's doesn't mean it's true. As I showed, there are simple explanations to what you're saying.

Sifer
It's your choice to believe what you want to believe - "How deep does the Rabbit Hole go?"

JediHDM
its not a question of "how deep does the rabbit hole go?" but, rather, "Which tunnel of the rabbit hole are we falling through?"

Sifer
A Mechanical Happy Dance

Lag
So what's this conversation about: Cypher being taken out at a later age or Cypher being a failed One. It seems that I lost where you guys are at this point.

I think I got lost when Sifer said something like " The Oracle could have told Cypher the he has to choose if Morpheus lives or dies" which is just an other reason he may be a failed One, then the Unknown said " What does this have to do with Neo and Trinity." This is the part that lost me. We were talking about what age Cypher got out and why he could be a failed One, so I don't know why the Unknown asked about Neo and Trinity. Not only were we not talking about Neo or Trinity, but how could this Not have anything to do with them?

Anyways it's settled that Cypher was taken out of the Matrix 9 years ago. Which also could support the failed One theory. Why else would they take somebody out at that wrong of an age if he wasn't a supposed One. I still think all of the One's before Neo were taken out at the same age, because why would it be different this time.

Unless Neo being taken out at 37 is why he was able to fall in love with Trinity this time. Maybe this is the Oracle's doing. She may have purposely made it so Neo was taken out at a later age than the earlier One's. hhhhhhmmmm.... something to think about.

Scrappy Doo
Except, didnt the previous ones in the Architect's video's seem to be the same age as Neo?

Mordecai
There were no previous ones in The Architect's videos.

Neo was 37?!?!?!? blink

Lag
Yeah he was born on March 11 1962. Unless I did the math wrong. confused smart

Lag
I wonder if March 11 has a meaning. I'm sure it does.

JediHDM
the screens in the Architects white room are all Neo, but they are exercising the different choices that Neo could make. This is why, when Neo turns around and looks at all the screens, he says "Choice. The problem is choice" because he sees all the choices that he could make. Also, the screen zooms in on one of the screens, showing that that is the choice Neo made, even though there were hundreds of other choices he coulda chosen.

as for march 11th...i don't know.

mook
JediHDM>Also, the screen zooms in on one of the screens, showing that that is the choice Neo made, even though there were hundreds of other choices he coulda chosen.

thats so obvious but i never really picked up on that before - thats pretty cool,

Lag
The March 11 1962 thing I got form being a complete dork and freeze framing the part in M1 when Smith opens up Neo's files in the interogation room. It says :
Name: Thomas A. Anderson
Date of Birth: March 11 1962
Place of Birth: Lower Downtown, Capitol City
Mother's Maiden Name: Michelle McGehey
Father's Name: John Anderson

School's Attended: Capitol West, Junior High
Owen Paterson High
I'm a huge Nerd

JediHDM
lag> welcome to the club...although, my comp doesn't like it when i pause my DVD very much

barbarossa

Trinity_Matrix
There was also something that Cypher says in M1 that made me suspect that he was unplugged at an odd age; when he's talking to Neo, after he says the "why didn't I take the blue pill" part, he asks Neo, "did he tell you why he did it?", to which Neo nods his head yes, and Cypher says "Save the world, huh? What do you say to something like that?" (note: that may not be exactly quoted, but it's damn close.) I took this to mean that Cypher was asking if Neo knew why Morpheus had unplugged him even though he's so much older than they normally unplug people, and the fact that Cypher knew why Morpheus unplugged Neo leads to think that Cypher was in the same situation: That he had been unplugged at a later age because they thought that he could have been the One.

Pick apart my theory all you want, but that's just what I think ^_^

...kinda curious though, how on Earth did we get to this when we started out discussing how none of the crew of the Neb has a 'Matrix' name? heehee!

Lag
That could be. I didn't really give that much thought, but I naturally came to the conclusion that Cypher asked that, because if Neo was told why he was taken out then it was because he's the One. Other people are just taken out and given the same assignment as everybody else. So, because Neo was told specifically why he was taken out Cypher figured he was told he was the One. I'm not saying your wrong this is just what I got from that, which by the way makes more sense in my head. I had a hard time putting this into text.

The Unknown
Yeah, I figured he was asking why Morpheus was "looking for him all his life" and tracked him down and freed him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.