Is it always 1999 in the matrix?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ahnold
Okey dokey people:

Morpheus tells neo in M1 that within the matrix {at least during the events of the first film} the year is 1999. I'm curious - is it always that year?

Think about it: if there have been 6 versions of the matrix, then each of them must have lasted around 30 years {6 x 30 is roughly 200, and the films are set 200 years in the future}. Does that mean the matrix starts in the 70's and ends at the turning point of the millenium {when the anomaly occurs}? Or is it perpetually 1999 there?

mors823
Each verdion, we believe, lasts 100-200 years. Morpheus believes it 2199 because each time Zion is destroyed, time resets itself. It's hard to explain, but the humans are in a time loop.

Ahnold
So - the matrix starts in 1900 then? Or is it perpetually 1999?

mors823
I have no idea when the Matrix starts. My guess the 1990's up til 2099, but there's no evidence. We have not yet seem another version of the Matrix, so we may never know when it stops.

Sifer
Well considering the first movie starts in 98 and ends in 99, then no, it isn't always 99. The date is one of the first things in the movie, if not THE first smile

freemind
It probably starts in 1900 and goes up to 2000. Then it is restarted and goes back to 1900. So in the real world it is about 2700. Give or take a couple years.

The Omega

The Unknown
But Neo first visits the Source in the year 2000.

JediHDM
but there is no 'time-loop'...time itself keeps going on, like in real life, except the matrix itself is reset, making it seem like time is being reset, when time continues in the real world...thats confusing...let me rephrase that...the time in the Matrix is relative, because it is beginning at a point in history and continuing until the Matrix is reset, at which point it starts back at the original 'time-point', but real time, in the real world, keeps moving, no matter what day or year it is in the Matrix...

burlyman
what about leap years?

realworlddreams
does that mean that theres a program that writes people's histories for those people that are older than 1 in the matrix that boots in 1990? cuz that doesnt make a whole lotta sense if machines dont understand human emotions and whatnot, that would mean that Neo (thomas a. to be exact) was born in an earlier version and then aged to be h/e old he is before the new matrix was booted, and that he had a past written for him, "all these memories from my life, none of them ever happened? what does that mean"
"that the matrix cannot tell you who you are"
ooh, i like that, lol

dragonpisces272
I agree with JediHDM here, and I don't think that time really is a statement. When the matrix resets, the "matrix inhibitants" don't realize that their time was resetted. Then comes the dawning of the new age, and life starts all over again. The way I see your interpretation realworlddreams, is that if anyone has lived before the "time range" of the resetted matrix. Like I said, time for me is not a factor, and only believed purposely in the matrix. You never know if they are already born after the coming of the new Matrix.

mook
this is not directly related but when your dreaming you have no real concept of time - a few seconds dreaming can seem much longer...

godfather
one second in the matrix is one second in real time, (real time being zion time). the matrix as a 100 year span, so since there as been 5 pervious ONES plus neo, thats 600 hundred years that must have pasted in Zion time, and Assuming that the machines and humans had the war in the year 2000 then the real time(zion time) would be about the year 2600, the matrix keeps looping(every time it is Reloaded) from 1900 to 2000.

the year 2600 real time, does not take into account the time for the war to pass nor the previous versions of the matrix, how long they took is not mentioned.

regards godfather

mook
does the animatrix state how long it took for machines to be built and then have the war etc because otherwise we cant know the starting date - but if we have that then adding 600years (100 for each matrix cycle) would give us the date.

The Omega

xemir
If I remember correctly smith when interogation morpheus (m1) for the codes to zion says something about the matrix takes place in the peak of "our" society.

The Unknown
Maybe the Matrix begins in 1901 and ends on or before 2001, since that's when each century actually begins.

The Omega

sith_darth_jay
but how can the humans be fighting the machines for 100 years, if by the time those free 100 years ago, it was 1908 or something and that time in history there were none of the machines that exist today, it's like they were freed thinking like it was some kind of time machine or something?

how can those free 100 years ago jack into the matrix if there where no phones in the matrix (or in the real world for that matter) in the year 1901?
what did they used to fight, powder guns?

i think the time inside the matrix is reseted every 40 years or something

The Omega

godfather
The Omega>> I no all the events in your timeline happened, the films, game and animatrix tell you that, but where did you get the times from are they just estimates or is there another source you are using?
Cheer, godfather

dragoon
Where does it say that the nebudchanezzar was created in the US?

The Unknown
How would the Nebuchadnezzar survive that many years? Doesn't the Architect state to Neo that all evidence of Zion will be destroyed?

ch0g0nda
I get the idea that after each destruction of Zion the machines provide the humans with a few ships.. That or there are already ships/materials for ships scattered through the catacombs.

sith_darth_jay
omega> i know time in the real world has nothing to do with the time inside the matrix, ,it could be the year 2599 or 3000 in the real world, but time inside the matrix is another one. Time inside the matrix will never change the time in the real world i has no effect whatsoever

What i'm saying is that the time inside the matrix could not possible start in 1900, cuz it would create a huge impact on those conected to the matrix, if those who are free do the things they do (and are able to do cuz is indeed somewhere around 2500 in the real world) inside the matrix. that yould change human history (ppl from the future running around with cell phones and guns in the year 1930) and that can happen cuz the matrix is set to be believable so that the humans would think is the real world.

by machines i meant the machines outside the real world, computers and machines (not steam machines) that would exist in the real world. ppl would have to understand them to used them.

the matrix is set in the pick of our society, ,and that would be after the cold war, ,where everyone is connected (anykind of media) and could not happen in the 20's.

i don't know if made my point clear

mook
in the films it shows the 'license plate' inside the ship.
check in the zion arkives also.

Omega>your post seems logical (are all dates facts?)

it makes sense for the matrix to be restarted before "Humans create humanoid drone robots with Artificial Intelligence to fill jobs as construction labourers and servants."
therefore it runs on 100 year cycles 1900-2000 (ish)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.