Deftones!!!!!!!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

total metalhead
amazing band!!!!!!!! Minerva is one of my favorite songs ever!!!!!!! only band that comes close to Korn, Tool and SOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rock rock rock rock rock rock

lil bitchiness
I love love LOVE Deftones!! One of my fave ever....

Favourite album - Adrenaline

Deftones rock!! rock

wicker_man
Can't stand the Deftones, their music is so boring.

total metalhead
boring? BORING???????

crazy_rock_chic
I liek their music but never really got into it,i shud listen to the sum more

total metalhead
yeah i knew i could count on you to have good taste!

Favorite album - White Pony

metallicachick
Deftones=good

total metalhead
furreal

shadow_angel
They're amazing!

in flames
i love em...they are one of the most original bands of the 90's and there one of the few that are unique and talented in the nu metal section "if i can consider them nu metal" but there latest album s/t was kinda of a disspointment to me ! it seemd like a b-side album and it seemd rushed though it took them 3 years of wait

my fav albums : the white pony - around the fur

total metalhead
i agree it wasnt their best but it wasnt THAT bad

lil bitchiness
I love deftone, i saw them live this year, and they rocked!!!

deftones are amazing and chino has a great voice. period.

loserib
i like their first few records but not to into the new one the new one sonds to much like glassjaw to me

madsci
i saw them two years ago when they were promoting the "white pony" album...amazing. they rock.

"around the fur" and "white pony" get play in my stereo deck any day.

madsci
hip hop purist

stinkfist462
This is one of the greatest bands i have ever heard ... seriously ... my fav song is "the passenger" the weird song with maynard ....

wicker_man
Can't stand them.

stinkfist462
why not ?

loserib
i like them not a huge fan though

in flames
i like them..adrenaline was great..around the fur was good..white pony is the greatest!!!..the new self titteld album is the worse..still listenable

Striel
I like Deftones.

*can't think of anything else to say*

stinkfist462
lol.. white pony is awesome !

loserib
i lied around the fur the best

total metalhead
possibly the best band around at the moment. love em. White Pony was an amazing album, fave songs Digital Bath, Passenger and Change. Chino is one of the only vocalists who can match Maynard.

incuhead1024
deftones are awesome. i keep trying to see them in concert.. hopefully they'll return to xfest like a couple years ago when they were there. i wanna see em in concert

stinkfist462
Maynard ... the only person who can be compared to him is Chino

in flames
umm i dont know.they both do greta vocals..werid,complex..but maynard is much better then chino..still chino is great..gets annoying sometimes

total metalhead
i agree hes better, Maynard definitely has a greater range, but hes not that much better

in flames
both original

wicker_man
There are singers far better then both Maynard & Chino (vocally) for instance Muse's Matthew Bellamy, Audioslave & Soundgarden's Chris Corneill, Red Hot Chilli Peppers Anthony Kieldis, U2's Bono & Zwan & Smashing Pumpkin's Billy Corgan...to name but a few.

total metalhead
Maynard is better than Kieldis.

wicker_man
Kieldis is one of those singers that has a rare ablity to emote the listeiners and is one of the reasons that the Chilli's have lasted so long and that they can be claimed as being a 'super group' unlike Tool or the Deftones.

total metalhead
dont get me wrong i love RHCP i was brought up with them, and i respect Anthony Kieldis he is an amazing vocalist, but i think Maynard is slightly better. just because Tool dont have the universal appeal to be a 'super group' doesnt make them a lesser band.

wicker_man
I respect your opinion, it's just after hearing both Chico and Maynard sing i wasn't drawn in as other singers have done in the past.

total metalhead
i can see why. they're an acquired taste.

wicker_man
I've given both artists fair chances (i.e. Deftones - Back To School is being played to death over here) and i listein to Chico and go is that it ???

total metalhead
well im not going to try and dissuade you. to me, Chino is one of the most unique, effective and emotional vocalists in the world. to you, hes nothing special. it really all comes down to opinions, but id still like to know just what it is you find lacking in Chino's vocals?

wicker_man
I just find nothing distinctive in it, to me its dull and lifeless rap/rock combo that so many bands are try to duplicate, where as Maiden's Dickinson has that 'Old English Quality' and Muse's Bellamy has that angelic, choirboy set of vocals...now there voices.

total metalhead
rap? Chino does not rap! why does everyone think Deftones/Korn etc rap? Chino's vocals are all about long, wavering notes, not rapping.

wicker_man
Back To School certainly has reminiscences of rap in it.

total metalhead
yes but you could hardly call it rap metal. like i said a vocalist with Chino's talent doesnt really need to express himself by rapping.

wicker_man
Neither do any of the vocalist i've mentioned (i.e. Dickinson, Kieldis, Corneill, Corgan & Bellamy).

total metalhead
Kieldis does rap quite a lot though. especially on BSSM.

wicker_man
Still any rap he does do i'd personally not term it in the same style as say Eminem or Snoop Dog etc, as he brings his own style to all RHCP's work be it the emotive Scar Tissue or the more upbeat Roller Coaster.

stinkfist462
and what is soo boring or whatever about Maynards lyrics ?

loserib
corgan better then maynard no way corgan has allmost no range at all i dont think chino is all thight really either

Myth
I touched the lead singers leg! He did this standing crowd surf thing while he sang while people held him up by this feet and calfs. I got to help for about 1 full second. Not a big Deftones fan though.

stinkfist462
laughing out loud ..

stinkfist462
so umm Wicker Man .. about that maynard question

wicker_man
If my mind serves me correctly i think we've already had a conversation like this (i.e. In the Tool thread) and my opinion still stands, after listening to both Tool & A Perfect Circle (the latter of the two i don't actually mind). I find Maynards voice nothing special, there are far better singers out there and indeed bands (in fact im listening to one right now in the form of Muse - now here you have original sounds and lead singer Matt Bellamy has one of the best voices in the business today, their is no one in the industry (in my opinion) who has a voice like his.

Deathblow
Deftones will begin recording their fifth album early November in Connecticut, with a release planned for the first half of 2005.

This is what Chino had to say about the new material:

"It's far more aggressive than, you know, our last few records, I'd say. I think we kinda just went in this time and just started writing, and obviously, all the stuff that came out was just way aggressive. That's what kind of made it fun. It was weird being out in Malibu, which is like a sunny place, a happy place, and we just started making some straight evil music."

Also, Chino's finishing work on the first album by his side project, Team Sleep. A November release is expected, with a tour to follow in December.

Good news happy

Fearnix
Thanx for that big grin

PrefectRonnykin
WOOT eek!

big grin

one of my old teachers is related to chino

Fearnix
wow that's a kool teacher

PrefectRonnykin
actually she was a ***** happy

Fearnix
Like most smile

PrefectRonnykin
yep

moshtitan
deftones kick major ass...cant wiat for the side project.

furryman
eek! big grin

Deathblow
Also, if you want to know what to expect from Team Sleep, the track off Deftones self-titled album, Lucky You, was originally written by Frank and Chino for Team Sleep's album.

You learn something new everyday thumbsup

Silver Stardust
Deftones...awesome big grin I love that song Lucky You yes

Darth Revan
Team Sleep is cool yes

Deathblow
Be warned though, I don't think Team Sleep are going to be anything like Deftones. From what I've heard so far, they sound more like a bouncier version of Nine Inch Nails, so more White Pony than Adrenaline.

ChickinMeat
great news! and i was wondering when team sleep would ever release anything, read about them years ago but wondered where they were

Silver Stardust
Yes they are yes

Deathblow
Tis true, but Deftones are approximately 99.9% cooler than they will ever be yes

Darth Revan
Yes... But Deftones are 99.9% cooler than a majority of bands yes

Alpha Centauri
Lest we forget Chino is a fan of Justin Timberlake and actually believes that the no talent, cracker jarhead is a talented guy.

Having seen them live twice, I don't think that Chino nails it as well as he does on record but the band themselves rule. Abe Cunningham is an awesome drummer.

They're touring the US soon I heard, maybe they'll come over here.

-AC

Deathblow
Honestly, I couldn't care less who Chino likes, many of my musical idols have terrible tastes themselves. I've learned to live with it I guess messed

True but very few vocalists sound record perfect live. I have seen them twice, the first time was far more impressive. Chino seemed to be able to hit the screams almost effortlessly, it was like he never ran out of breath. Chi is an excellent bassist, 7 Words is a prime example of his talent. It's a shame he can be a real jerk sometimes though.

Myth
I touched the lead singers ankle. He started doing an upright crowd surf while singing and I got to help support him for a second.

Alpha Centauri
Seeing them live was good enough for me. Although I'm sure a touch of the ankle would have capped my night off.

When I saw them live, A Perfect Circle were supporting them. Everyone expected Passenger to be performed, they didn't. I was pissed.

Maynard James Keenan doesn't sound record exact, but he sounds perfect. I don't want it record exact but I do want it to sound good. I dunno, Chino just doesn't cut it for me live.

-AC

Deathblow
Sounds great all the same. I've never seen Tool or APC sadly, I'm dying to see Maynard do his thing.

I thought Chino was great the first time I saw them. Like I said earlier in the thread, it was like he never ran out of breath. He was bounding around the stage like a mad man, but still nailing the big screams everytime.

The only time his voice sounded a little ragged was on the slower softer songs. His voiced almost cracked completely at one point during the second verse of Digital Bath, but aside from that, great.

lil bitchiness
droolioChino's voice!

Deathblow
Chino's voice on Mascara droolio droolio droolio

outavodka
saturday i went to see them in philli it was great Chino always blows ths damn roof off. I love all their CDs. So far been to 8 of their concerts, 2 autographs each from all band members, even "jokingly" sung back to school lyrics with chino while getting my 1st auto from him. They are one of the bands i garuntee will give you 110% in every show!

The Core
Girlfriend saw 'em back in '97 with Willhaven, and the show here at First Ave is sold out. Apparently Glassjaw (who I don't care for) is opening this go 'round.

New album is alright, a little too mellow, and "Pink Cellphone" is just a terrible, ill fitting song for that album.

vintageSW77
mini maggit or Back To School is one of the greatest tunes ever i reckon

Alpha Centauri
I think Saturday Night Wrist is excellent.

Not the progression of the self-titled style as I predicted and hoped, but what they have done I like, and it's different to their normal mellow sound.

-AC

Dr. Strangelove
Very good album although, along with what Cin said, Pink Cellphone is easily the worst song they have ever done.

Alpha Centauri
I don't think it's anywhere close to being a bad song, on any other album it wouldn't seem as bad, but it's because it stands out in relation to the other songs.

Cine didn't think it fitted for the worst, I think it stands out in a good way. Chino has hardly ever made sense with his lyrics anyway, has he?

-AC

Lana
Personally, Pink Cellphone amused the hell out of me, partially because it seemed so out of place.

S-Ranger
They rule and are so underrated it's unreal they're so mindblowing. Pink Cellphone is a random lol and i'm British.

~Da Rev~
I've always been a fan of Deftones. I was impressed with this CD as I am with all of their CD's.

I see you're all talking about, its a hands down great song. I agree it seems a little out of place, but its still an awesome song nonetheless. I also agree that it stands for a reason and it does indeed stand out in a good way.

Dr. Strangelove
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I don't think it's anywhere close to being a bad song, on any other album it wouldn't seem as bad, but it's because it stands out in relation to the other songs.

Cine didn't think it fitted for the worst, I think it stands out in a good way. Chino has hardly ever made sense with his lyrics anyway, has he?

-AC

I found it to be a song that could've been great but failed. There was some interesting atmosphere at the start, but I kept waiting for a payoff that I get in pretty much all Deftones songs and never got one. It never did anything for me.

The Core
For those in the U.S. that are having a hard time nabbing tickets for the show, you may have not been made aware of the Camel cigarettes promotion they're running. For example, the day that Deftones announced they'll be playing First Ave in Minneapolis, the tickets sold out. I thought to myself that selling 1,500 for a moderately mainstream band was impossible, and it was. First Ave. was alloted 450 tickets to sell, because Camel bought 1,000 for their promotion. A promotion nobody even knew existed, as it was hardly advetised.

Long story short, call 1-866-988-8800, which is the Camel Ticket hotline, and enter the first 3 letters of the city where they're scheduled to play, then they'll provide you the locations as to where you can pick up complimentary tickets, two per person, for the show. 2 hours a night..different locations..and variable days is what I have gathered. Also, the night of the venue, it's first come first serve so get your ass there early. This, being the Glassjaw reunion in addition, it'll fill up fast.

I got mine, and no, you don't have to prove you smoke Camels, much less smoke period. Just find the reps, and ask.

Victor Von Doom
Chino isn't the best live singer.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Deftones like drums, and they make music with guitars. Also, there is singing.

Deathblow
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Chino isn't the best live singer.

He used to be above average, but his voice has decayed so much over time. Last time I saw them, there were moments where I actually cringed. He certainly shouldn't attempt Digital Bath anymore.

The Core
In recent pics, he's looking a little like Elvis. Before he died.

Alpha Centauri
Not that it matters, cos the music is good, but Chino just seems like he really can't be bothered anymore.

-AC

The Core
droolio

http://a491.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/29/l_9987cc1f0745682c418b128c090b3d22.jpg

Deftones show this evening was FANTASTIC. They actually played for an hour and 45 minutes, and the setlist spanned their entire catalogue. Glassjaw were actually quite good live as well. "Natural Born Farmer" off of their new album was solid, definately piqued my interest in their new material.

Anywho, I asked my buddy and my girl to wait for a few to see if I could nab Chino after the show, Lo and behold, about 30 minutes afterwards, I spotted him walked to the RV. So, I was the first to cross the street and I obviously drew attention, and so a mob followed. At first he signed a couple of things for others, then said "G'night, guys" and headed towards the bus with a roadie. I said outloud "You got time for one picture?", and he actually stopped, turned around and said "Yeah!" So, I got up by him as he signed a couple more pieces and he asked if I was ready. I said "I've been down with you guys for 11 years", to which he said "Cool!". Took the pic, I thanked him and he actually thanked ME, which was refreshing.

Cool guy, consummate performer, and a great showman.

Deathblow
Awesome.

Alpha Centauri
Chino is actually taller than another human, quite impressive.

Did they play Combat by any chance, Cine?

-AC

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Audioslave like drums, and they make music with guitars. Also, there is singing.

The Smiths liked drums, and they used to make music with guitars. Also, there was singing.

The Beatles liked drums, and they used to make music with guitars. Also, there was singing.

Jeff Buckley liked drums, and he used to make music with guitars. Also, there was singing.

Accurate.

The Core
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Chino is actually taller than another human, quite impressive.

Did they play Combat by any chance, Cine?

-AC

I'm 5'11, so he's got to be closer to 6'1 or 6'2. He's not as big as everyone teases him, either. But those ribbed tube socks and saggy shorts don't do much to help his appearance.

No Combat last night, however they did play Passenger, which was both bold and unexpected, IMO. Chino actually pulled it off really well. It's just the long screams that gave him trouble last night, like the choruses in Digital Bath (I feel like more), which I still geeked out over.

Deathblow
I think I'm sufficiently over the new album novelty value to decide on my personal favorites off of SNW now. Still tough to pick though, and none of my friends have the same favorite as mine so I'd be interested to hear you guys' opinions.

Kimdracula
Mein
Riviere
Cherry Waves
Hole In The Earth

Deathblow
This is very cool, an acoustic salsa version of Knife Party. Chino loses it a bit at the end but it's impressive nonetheless. I love the way each band member forms an integral part of the performance, while Frank just sits in the middle forlornly shaking his maraca.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y56CC7KKRzs&mode=related&search=

Victor Von Doom
That's off the DVD.

The Core
Originally posted by Deathblow
I think I'm sufficiently over the new album novelty value to decide on my personal favorites off of SNW now. Still tough to pick though, and none of my friends have the same favorite as mine so I'd be interested to hear you guys' opinions.

Kimdracula
Mein
Riviere
Cherry Waves
Hole In The Earth

Same picks as me, track for track.

Mywi
Deftones are my newest crush. Amazing in_love

The Core
I told my girlfriend just the other day that I have yet to be disappointed in an album by them, personally. I was at the pawn shop the other day and found "White Pony" for $3 and listened to it literally for hours on end. Hard to believe it's 7 years old now, and still just as fresh as the day I bought it originally.

Deathblow
Totally. Of all my favorite bands, Deftones are the only one I can't actually pick out one record as being their 'best' album. Around The Fur, White Pony and self-titled are all perfect tens in my view.

Bugs me that a lot of people still associate them with the pretty much defunct nu metal scene still, and refuse to take them seriously cos all they've heard is Back To School. They are genuinely unique.

Mišt
Deftones are playing here in a month, not sure if I should go hmm

BackFire
Deftones are outstanding. I love all of their CD's, just started listening to them again after a while of nothing, and am loving everything of theirs.

Knife Party is a personal favorite.

pcp
Deftones are shit.

The Core
Originally posted by pcp
Deftones are the shit.

We know.

The Core
Well, @ 4PM Pacific today the next US tour announcement is going to be made via MySpace. Considering how many people were turned away from the Minneapolis show, I'd hope they'd come back to this state. Not that I wouldn't drive two hours to see them again in Iowa, Wisconsin or Northern MN.

Should be interesting..

vintageSW77
i like the new track
not so sure of the break dancing in the vid but it sounds good to me

The Core
First leg of the 2007 US Tour is up...and for the 2nd time in 6 months, the almighty Deftones will be returning to Minneapolis. This time at the swanky new Myth.

Consider me there.

vintageSW77
we had them in town last Saturday as well as Enter Shakiri the same wknd

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.