The Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn, & Army of Darkness

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

HavocHound
Who else loves these flix? I don't know what I'd do without them! My fave of the trilogy is Dead by Dawn. I like it's overall vibe better than TED or AoD. Bruce Campbell & Ted Raimi are two of my favorite actors (along with Ahmed Best). Sam Raimi's flix are always a BLAST!! big grin I love his Looney Toons sense of humor. Bruce, like me, is a human cartoon, & thus is perfect as Sam's instrument of comedic mayhem. Ted is too. Jim Carrey's got nothing on Bruce & Ted. Hey, I just thought of something...BRUCE & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE!!

Notice the different phases Ash goes through in each movie. In TED, he's a lot like Jar Jar. In ED2big grinbD, he's like a cross between Jar Jar and Mad Max (my favorite phase & two uv me favorite characterz). And in AoD, he's more like Han Solo, all jaded and cocky.

AoD is more of an action-comedy. DbD is a horror-comedy. And TED (along with DbD) represents the greatest era of American horror movies (late '70s & all throughout the '80s).

Ever notice how Ash has a different gun in each movie? In TED, he has a 20-gauge single-shot (I don't recognize the make or model because single-shots tend to look generic). In DbD, he has a 12-gauge side-by-side double-barrel which I think is a boxlock Stevens 311-C (I might be wrong about the model but I know it's a Stevens because of the distinctive shape of the Stevens boxlock). And in AoD, he has a 12-gauge side-by-side double-barrel boxlock IGA/Stoeger Coach Gun. I know because I used to have an IGA/Stoeger Uplander (which is the same except with 26" barrels, the Coach Gun has 20-inchers). Like the Stevens, the Stoeger is distincitve and easy to recognize. In DbD, Ash saws the barrels of the Stevens off from 28" to about 12". The Coach Gun he has in AoD has barrels that are about 8" too long in comparison.

I know, I know. You're thinking, "But Ash says his gun is a "12-gauge double-barrel Remington...S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the Sporting Goods Department. That's right...this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. Has a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel...and a hair trigger. That's right...shop smart...shop S-Mart.""

That's just what his line in the movie says it is. In reality, it's a 12-gauge double-barrel Stoeger, which you can find at most department stores (Sporting Goods Department) and gun shops (Uplanders are more likely to be found at department stores, Coach Guns at gun shops). It's okay but not exactly top of the line. IGA/Stoegers are made in Brazil (made by IGA, imported by Stoeger, but are most often referred to as "Stoegers"wink and Remingtons are made in...I forget where but it ain't Grand Rapids, Michigan. Stoegers usually cost approximately $400 (over/unders are usually more expensive than side-by-sides made by the same manufacturer). They don't have walnut stocks, they have Brazillian hardwood. They don't have cobalt blue steel, they have a plain blued finish (unless you get the nickel-plated version of the Coach Gun which is awesome and much better than the blued ones). And to my knowledge, there is no side-by-side in existence with a hair trigger. And hopefully, there's no one who would modify one as such. They either have double triggers or a single selective trigger. Over/unders most often have a single selective trigger with a falling firing pin. Side-by-sides with single selective trigger fire right barrel first, then left, whereas the double triggered can be fired either way, although the front trigger operates the right barrel and the rear trigger operates the left. There might be some out there designed in reverse, but I don't know of any. Ash's boomstick has double triggers. you can see if you look close. Double-triggered double-barrels cost less than their single selective counterparts and are mechanically simpler (which is good because simple = more durable).

Being somewhat knowledgable about guns, I would highly recommend NOT even considering a hair trigger. It's good to have a decent amount of pressure required to fire a gun, at least for safety's sake.

So...now that I've cleared that up, what's YORE fave of the Evil Dead trilogy?

Ushgarak
Hmm, we do already have a thread about this somewhere... but it;s old, so a new one is ok, I guess.

I have a friend who is an utter Campbell nut.

In any case, favourite one for me has to be number 3...

ToMacco
I havn't seen them, but arn't those the movies when they fight those cheesy looking skeletons?

HavocHound
If by cheesey you mean Ray Harryhausen-esque, then yes, but only Army of Darkness. There's stop-motion used in the first two but there are no skeletons, only carcasses and ghouls and other such things. Personally, I prefer the carcasses and ghouls.

ToMacco
Yeah, I should probably see them. I often hear people talking about these films.

Jim-Jam
no one has said anything about these great movies in nearly 3 years?! i was about to make a thread about them and im shocked to see that this one is so dormant, anyways i was wondering what people are thinking about the possible freddy vs. jason vs. ash, dumb title, bumber idea, but i would love it simply because ash is one of the greatest characters in movie history in my opinion ans sam raimi is too bussy with spiderman to ever get around to an evil dead 4 before bruce is too old to play the part. if this movie comes through soon enough he has said that he would love to play the character again, so long as he isnt killed in the movie.

ragesRemorse
These movies are discussed quite often.

Unholy_Cheese
Very cheesy series yet very entertainingblink

SlipknoT
Why isnt this in the Horror Forum?

Wolfie
This is a very entertaining trilogy. Ash is one of my all-time favorite horror icons. I can't wait for Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash.

TheFilmProphet
Maybe this thread and my thread here http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f58/t303247.html should be merged.

Pandemoniac
I like to think that the Evil Dead series are a must-see for every horrorfan (and demons don't think wrong, they might only show the wrong way). For as old and outdated these films are, they do are the base for just about all current horrorflicks! And a true horrorfan can't denie the feel and originality of the Evil Dead, let alone the crew's fanatism making these movies, clearly dripping of the screen. Second to that, they reveal an era without the overabuse of crappy CGI, as done so much lately, just real smut and pigs guts flying on screen here, and no computergeek can beat that look!. I put these films right up there with Nightmare on Elmstreet, Hellraiser and the rest of the classicks.
Thanks for posting this tread Havoc, but do cut down on guntalk, and those are words from an official marksman.
To anwser your quiz, I do like Evil Dead 2 the most. More storyline, better ghouls and ofcourse The Hand!

freddyfan20
in my opinion bruce campbell should just stick his chainsaw up his ass and start it. cause he is douche bag and can't be compared to freddy or even jason.

Jennifer_Tilly
I love them but the 2nd one is my fav!!! and Bruce Campbell rocks!!!

BadKitty
any movie with Bruce Campbell will be a winner..no doubt

BlackC@t
Bruce Campell definetly has sex appeal droolio same with Sam Raimi.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.