A Harry Potter Christmas

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

onceasalways
Okie dokie guys.

I need some advice.

I have a 10 year old niece, and she's the joy of my world. Since she was two, each Christmas I buy her every single thing she could ever dream of. I don't have kids so it's an aunts job to spoil them! =)

smile

This year, I'm stumped.

She's into Harry Potter, Britney Spears - and well, you know the drill.. all that type of stuff.

She's ten, about to turn eleven. I know there are a bunch of you here who are around the same age. She's mature for her age (she's in a higher grade), so probably could get suggestions from up to 14 year olds.

Help. What is your dream Christmas present?

I'm not going to say money doesn't matter - I won't spend more than 800 - that's always been her yearly limit. But, if you could have ANYTHING you wanted for Christmas this year, what would it be?

What type of Harry Potter stuff would someone like? I don't think clothes would be too appealling.. I have already given her the books, so she's done with that, and the movies..

But.. here's the question - if you could have any present you wanted for Christmas, what would it be?

Be reasonable.. you're not gonna get a car when you're 12 =) But.. seriously.. if you could have anything, give me suggestions.

Are there any cool Harry Potter things? What about Britney things?

Is Barbie still popular for a ten year old? ((I know no one will say yes, because they'll get ragged on, but if she is, PM me and let me know =))

Okay..

Start brainstorming with me.. I'm sure there are other parents out there that'll be happy with this thread too - - a lot of us have no idea what you guys want.

So.. those of you between what? 8-14, let me know what your dream Christmas present would be.. (and not so dreamy too -- just tell me what you have on your lists!)..

Thanks a'much!

=)

santa

heatherfeather7
I have an 8 year old girl and a ten year old girl. The eight year old will still play with Barbie but the ten year old won't. Instead, my ten year old likes the Bratz dolls, I guess they are cooler so older girls can play with them. As far as Harry Potter stuff goes, if she already has the books and the movies and you can't find any of the toys around, if she likes to read you could consider another series of books that are kind of in the same genre. Some good suggestions are The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, The Artemis Fowl books(I can't think of the author's name right off the top of my head), or there is another series called The Spiderwick Chronicles (I have got my 10 year old started on them for Christmas). I hope I have been helpful!

heatherfeather7
By the way, I don't recommend the new Brittany Spears CD as a gift for a ten year old. I have heard that it contains songs with some pretty graphic lyrics that I know I wouldn't want MY 10 year old to listen to.

onceasalways
Oh - thanks much! I haven't heard the new Britney CD - but.. umm.. I've seen the videos.. and wow, I'm not so sure a ten year old should be modeling her!! (or my 20 year old! haha =)..

I haven't heard of the Bratz, but if your 10 year old likes them, that's a good suggestion.

I a little leary this year to buy expensive things - last year, my sister (her mom) got mad and because her room was messy, she threw out EVERY single toy she had as a punishment and a lesson to keep her space neat. Other than the fact that is absolutely awful psychologically for a nine year old, it was also punishment for me - the thousands of dollars and thoughts and special things I've put in to make her holidays special were tossed. I was horrified. So, i'm a little tentative this year, worrying that if I buy something that means a lot to me (which I do yearly), it'll be thrown away. (what a sick person!)

But.. thanks again for the suggestions. I didn't assume many mothers were here - it's good to know there are a few older people around!!

=) If you think of anything else, let me know.. if your kids aren't on here reading, what's under the tree this year?

And she loves to read (she's jumped ahead grades because she was Montessori schooled for the first several years), so books are always a good thing for her. But I also like to get her special toys that we can use together, so she remembers our times together.

Thanks again!! Happy holidays =) =)
steph

heatherfeather7
I hope I was able to help a bit. Another neat thing I got my ten year old is a spell and twist thing by Leapfrog (it's educational so that's always good). Also, you said it was good to know there were some older people around. I sure hope that 27 isn't TOO old. I just became a mother early. Anyways, I hope you find everything you're looking for for your niece for Christmas (I don't have a niece, only 2, slightly hyper nephews).

heatherfeather7
Oh! I just had one otherr thought. THere is a place online called Alivan's and they make wands just like the ones in the HP movies. There are different types to chose from with different wand cores and each one comes in a wand box and a velvet drawstring pouch to keep the wand box in. It would mostly be a momento gift, but my kids thought they were neat.

bLooMiLiCioUs
ANYTH to do with harry potter wich'll make the other kids jealous and that i can't get outta my own money'll make me go mad with joybig grin

onceasalways
Heather =) Wish I had! I'm just a couple years older than you, and all my friends have the ten year olds.. wish I had started earlier! I chose to play and travel for too long - now I'm realizing I'm almost out of time - about ready to grab anyone! =) haha.. We're probably opposites that way though.. you probably wish you had a little extra time to play too.

Bloom - so.. like what? What makes all the other kids jealous? Not that I want to give her things to make everyone jealous, but it's usually what I aim for. I don't get to see her often, so I get her enough "awesome unforgettable things" to tide her over until the next Christmas rolls around.

So.. give me hints. What is like the coolest present to get this year???

Schizo_n_me
When I was a ten year old, I wanted a monkey. Of course if I told my PARENTS that they got me socks. Which is probably why I never wear socks.... What the f**k? How are you in Wash. OR Hawaii?

Schizo_n_me
What I mean is, were r u now, why don't you just type that?

Linkalicious
I have a simple answer. First you need some basic supplies:

1. A wooden stick that goes up to your daughters chin
2. A small bundle of hay
3. A ball of string or yarn (sting preferred)
4. A bottle of Elmer's glue (to ensure a lasting present)
5. A gold marker or crayon (Marker Preferred)

Now follow these simple steps:

- Glue pieces of hay to the 1 end of the stick
- then tie the string around the hay to make sure the hay doesn't move (and to make it looks more authentic)
- and finally use the gold marker to write "Firebolt" on the hilt of the broom

AND....WAAA LAAA you've got yourself a semi-offical Quidditch Broom.

Your daughter will be the envy of the neighborhood and you'll be the world's best mom.

onceasalways
Schizo - want to know something funny? When my mom was in college, she actually did have a chimp.. I grew up hearing stories about it, and loved seeing the pictures. They had to get rid of it because it destroyed their apartment and wouldn't stay out of the cupboards etc. I have no idea how they were allowed to have one, but that sounds like the coolest thing!

You asked where I am, and why don't I say where I am now? Because it changes every few weeks. I live in both places. Why pick just one if I have houses at each? Currently, I'm in Redmond, Washington. However, next week, I'll be in Pearl City at the top of kaahumanu.

And Link: haha.. the envy of all! She'll be so excited that she'll run out and get paper and glitter and cut me out a crown to make me queen of all moms!
smile

Anyone else? What do you all want for Christmas this year? Tell me some cool presents!

bunny

Linkalicious
just remember to tell her "no flying your broom in the street."

bLooMiLiCioUs
i'll go search for ya!!!!

and link------->LOL!!!laughinglaughing out loud

Schizo_n_me
Once-ok cool, just wondering. Lucky you. I have STAY in Hawaii. I'd much rather go back and forth. How do you afford the airfair?!! I'd be like broke after the 1st trip. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Luna150
10? Hmmmm i know what i want for christmas. A mobile phone big grin My 10 year old cousin has one. Good thing is they dont care how good there phone is as long as you can ring people with it

Linkalicious
You know what i've seen in the 4 years since i left high school. 10 year olds with cell phones and 10 year olds who are addicted to Starbucks. What does a 10 year old need with a cell phone? If they aren't old enough to go to the mall with their friends w/o parent supervision, then why would they need a cell phone? No offense Luna, your suggestions are always very welcome, just felt like commenting on the destruction of our society. I also read in a thread around here that some 16 year old girl lost her virginity 4 years ago (making her 12). What is this world coming to?

bLooMiLiCioUs
TELL me abt it!!!!!

onceasalways
Schizo - - =) Umm.. it's quite expensive. I've been doing this for three years now.. it was the one condition I had when I moved - I wouldn't move unless I could fly back every six to eight weeks. It's not so tremendously expensive in the winter, but when summer hits, it's really hard - more than double the price. And if I ever want to fly first class, it's 1600 PER way.. *cough*

I'm rambling =) But.. yah.. it's expensive.. but it's easy to get off the island - - if you can save up about 300, fly in february, and that's a round trip ticket! (unless you want to go somewhere other than Seattle!).... not to mention, bring a coat!!!

Anyhow!!!

Cell phones, huh? Umm.. I think her mother would kill me! Plus, I'd be responsible for paying her monthly charges.. which wouldn't be so bad, but that's a lifetime annoyance..

Although.. it's an omen - hehe - there IS a banner flashing at me from the bottom of my screen for ATT Wireless for 19.99.. but we all know better than that!
smile

Seriously though.. how many kids have cell phones today? Anyone here? I had a great idea the other day -- my kids will all have them.. ask me later why smile

(not even gonna go into -much- the 12 year old having sex - that really makes me sad.. like physically sad.. yah, they are "old enough" to do it.. and of course they feel ready.. but the adult emotions that go along with it will hit her down the road.. and the lifetime of regret that follows.. it's hard to understand that when you're young - heck, it sounds downright ridiculous - why would it affect you at all later? - but, it does.. I still have regrets - I was young. Not that young, but.. close enough..)

Anyways!!! Christmas!!

We have a few suggestions so far: a handy-dandy-self-made-nimbus-clone.. (which I, of course, feel is the best choice, haha), Heather's good choices, a monkey, and a cell phone?

What do kids like?

I know what -I- want for Christmas.. but that wouldn't quite work for her..

What's cool this year?

I'm going to blame all of you if she ends up with Dancing Barney.. hehe

Happy Dance smile

airangel429
Here's a link for some Harry Potter Merchandise. =)

http://www.ebopper.com/harry-potter.htm

I know the stuffed Hedwig looks really nice and I believe its a collectible.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.