hip hop, i still love h.e.r.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

madsci
i have grown weary of rap fans arguing with hip hop fans, defending a style that is slowly devaluating the culture. i am depending upon my fellow hip hop heads to continue this thread. feel free to discuss upcoming/past releases and performances, opinions, ideas, and anything hip hop related. mind you, this thread is not open to discussing medioric mainstream pop rap.

"feed them fish, and they will eat for a day. teach them how to fish, and feed them for a lifetime."

show the disillusioned there is more than what is forced upon them.

madsci
hip hop purist

in flames
i cant wait for mos def' new release

and im woundering...when in the hell will method man release something ?

madsci
"black on both sides" is my favorite album of that year. i am waiting patiently for anything that mos def puts out soon. hopefully, he will stay true to his roots, although, i don't see why he would not.

couldn't tell you about meth.

madsci
hip hop purist

h0ck3yh0rr0r
black on both sides was Great. i really liked the song Habitat.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i also like Mos Def feat Nate Dogg- Oh No

in flames
im sick of wating for method man..he has to put something ut soon..ive hated rap because good rappers/hiphopers take a while to put out an album..and all these crappy posers wannabes put an albumn every 6 months..arghhh...they let me down..but hopefully mos def will make that up

John Smith
i've been listening to charizma & peanut butter wolf's "big shots" for 3 weeks strait and its GREAT.it's sad it wasnt able to be released until now,but better late than never.charizma could have been a star

r.i.p. charizma

h0ck3yh0rr0r
true^

you guyz know anything about Nate Doggs new album? he has new one right?

madsci
pb wolf is extremely inspiring because of of his contributions to the culture. by forming "stones throw" and signing what HE believed to be talented artists, who more than likely would not have been signed by major labels, he has made strides for the future of hip hop. "my vinyl weighs a ton" permanantly remains in daily driving selection of cd's.

it is people who like pb wolf, who keep the culture alive by drive, dedication, and pure love for the art.

madsci
hip hop purist

h0ck3yh0rr0r
HUMPTY HUMP! lol

metal face
non-prophets-hope

feeling this album my favorite of the year so far for real

havnt had much time to listen to a lot so

aesop rock

i def wanna hear some new illogic

ya i dont know what to say

John Smith
my top 5 hip hop labels off the top of my head

1)peanuts and corn
2)def jux
3)rhymesayers
4)stones throw
5)galapagos4

those 5 put out the best albums,top to bottom on a consistent basis...and they also have some of the most talented artists in hip-hop period

support the people who actually deserve our money

John Smith
"special herbs volumes 4,5,and 6" is getting the most rotation lately

and my album of the year is Diverse's "One A.M." w/o a doubt

madsci
i have not bought vols. 4,5, and 6 as of yet, but will soon, and i cannot wait to get my hands on it. is it as much the s#!t as i think it will be? not that i would ever doubt doom like that.

the one i'm truly holding out for is "madvillian". waiting...but not very patiently.

does anyone have copies of doom's "nastradoomus" recordings? i have not heard them as of yet, and i am thinking of getting them soon, purely for the concept alone.

feel free to post detailed album reviews

madsci
hip hop purist

madsci
my brethren, keep this thread alive... as it may be the only means of spreading the truth about real hip hop.

madsci
hip hop purist

metal face
i havnt heard special herbs

doom is tight

i like him over his beats a little more though

jean grae is the only dope female rapper

cept maybe lil kim

hahahahahaha

madsci
topic for conversation...

think of an ultimate album - choose an emcee/group of emcee's (an established group, ie: j5, etc.), produced by whomever of your choice (or wish), who has not worked together...

or emcee's who haven't worked together as of yet, and you wish would.

i'm going to think about it....maybe even dream

p.s. forgive me if there is a thread for this already. ultimately, i would like for this thread to be one dedicated for hip hop discussions...invite your friends and foes alike.

madsci
hip hop purist

madsci
the last hip hop thread standing...

my brethren, post here for all hip hop related topics...and let's keep it on topic as not to get shut down.

"do not give into hate, for it only leads to suffering"

madsci
hip hop purist

h0ck3yh0rr0r
ok madsci what u think of the following rappers

1. Big L
2. Pac
3. Atmosphere
4. Bone THugs

sorry i chose fast cuz i wanted thread to be alive smile

madsci
h0ck3y> ...i think i've voiced my opinion 2pac before, but to reiterate, i think that he made many contributions to hip hop/rap music. unfortunately, i think he got wrapped up in all the b.s. that was prevalent at the time (ie: east coast vs. west coast). i'm not too keen on all that. for the record, i prefer b.i.g. over 2pac, just personal preference. i usually explain my opinion this way - quality vs. quantity. i believe that b.i.g.'s rhymes were quality, as 2pac's rhymes were quantity (he wrote so much damn stuff, that he had songs for days).

to be perfectly honest, i have heard of atmosphere but have not heard any of his work.

big L was tight...much respect.

can't say that i am much of a bone thugs fan. although a lot of people i know like them, even when they were popular, i couldn't really stand them.

today's topic: the most comedic concepts in hip hop

1. handsome boy modeling school "how's your girl" - hilarious concept, f#@%in tight album.
2. ugly duckling "taste the secret" - one word..."meatshake"
3. any thing recorded by kool keith, ie: dr. octagon, dr. doom, on and on and on. funny, but still tight.
4. quasimoto "the unseen" - i love it, the whole album. the voice cracks me up everytime i listen.

what do you think? do you have any concept albums that you find hilarious?

keep the culture alive...as well as this thread.

madsci
hip hop purist

Kemekongka
First of all, Quasimoto's Unseen album was amazing.

Second, do any of you think Big L would've achieved as much publicity and fame as he did if he hadn't died? He was a talented man, no question, but I for one, hadn't heard anything about or of him before his death.

madsci
kemekongka>...that is the million dollar question. we can speculate, but truly never know.

"the unseen" is absolutely amazing. i never tire of listening to it.

i have been looking for a song called "i spark the la", by quas featuring madlib (i can't help but chuckle when writing that), has anyone else heard it? if so, does anyone know from which recording it is from? supposedly, there is also a quasimoto ep that has been recorded only on vinyl in limited release, anyone know of this? more importantly, how i can get a copy?

for any quasimoto fans who haven't seen it before, watch a movie titled "Fantastic Planet" (i believe that is what it's called). it's an animated film that was made in the 70's. really cool, and listen to the title track carefully (for all you "loop digga's" out there).

madsci
hip hop purist

h0ck3yh0rr0r
hypothetical, political, lyrical, miracle whip
just like butter, my ryhmes are legit
Cause I'm the humpty. not humpty dumpty, but humpty hump
here a hump, there a hump, everywhere a humpty hump
-HUMPTY HUMP

classic lol

h0ck3yh0rr0r
one of my favorite songs by Big L
Platinum Plus

Yo, I'm straight loco, to hell with you and your broke hoe
You ain't a big dog, you more like Toto, you got no dough
I smoke 'dro mixed with cocoa, strong as bolo
I pack a fo'-fo', platinum ro-ro
Anti-homo, that's a no-no so **** po'-po'
I push the seven-fo'-oh and not the Volvo
C-Town push the six-oh-oh, I'm with a ***** on dolo
Chips from here to Acapulco
While y'all buck for legs I, buck for heads
I even buck celebs, nigga **** the feds
My underground niggaz, y'all can shine with me
Got my own label now, so y'all can sign with me
Y'all can take me from the bottom and climb with me
that's fine with me, that's how it was designed to be

madsci
*taps the mic, clears throat*

time after time when i put together rhymes
each and every line is crafted to make me shine
like a diamond in the rough, i've had enough of emcees actin tough
fake to the core, i call their bluff
take'em out like sho'nuff, i'm the last dragon leroy brown
if you're braggin', than you're sure to go down
there's not a damn thing to lose, with everything to prove
situation typical, i'm 'bout to get physical
it's time to push and shove, show some tough love
i've been jockin' hip hop before michael wore a glove
in other words, i know my history, it's a mystery
why you do what you do, i haven't got a clue
then again, this predicament i'm in...it's obvious
the rap industry is ninety-nine percent lobbyists
buckin' for promotions, jockying positions,
...it's impossible to make the deaf listen

*sets mic down*

some "back in the day" words from your unknown lyricist...which aptly apply to today.

sorry i haven't posted for a while, i blame it on school; tests this week and finals the next. keep the culture alive on KMC, post with "h.e.r."

madsci
hip hop purist

metal face
so far the new kanye west is dope

smith will be here soon

he likes kanye

he's riding him like those 25 cent rides at the mall

he'll make fun of aesop rock now

holla

madsci
i've seen the video for the kanye west song "through the fire", it's a pretty good song.

as of late, i've been listening to an online radio station called beatbasement.com. they play all underground, and some old school, mostly late eighties/early nineties (i guess that is considered old school today, even though that's what i grew up with.) check it out, it's tight. anyone know of any other good online stations? post'em here.

madsci
hip hop purist

John Smith
THROUGH THE WIRE!!!

John Smith
kanye is a really good producer

def the "next big thing"

college dropout has a lot of really dope beats and the lyrics are good.he's no sage francis,but he has good lyrics.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
what u guyz think of canibus? i heard a few songs and they were ok.

madsci
smith> pardon me, i was thinking of the sample in the song from chaka. even i make mistakes, due to imperfection. are you a big fan of his?

not much of a canibus fan, not to knock any of his stuff.

madsci
hip hop purist

h0ck3yh0rr0r
you guyz like
1. Mos Def
2. Xzibit
3. WSC

sorry i just put down anything that came to me. just to keep thread going. smile

John Smith
yea,it's a chaka khan song....its called "through the wire"and its features elton john

great,great sample.the best part of the song IMO

nah,i'm not a big fan of his,but i think he's a very talented producer.i like a lot of his beats.but thats as far as it goes.i have his debut LP "college dropout" because its free and why not.i like it though,lots of hot beats.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
you guyz like ras kass?
he really good in my opinion.

madsci
h0ck3y> in my opinion, ras kass is extremely underrated as an emcee. what is unfortunate is some of his beats aren't up to par with some other artists, but he is really good lyrically speaking. listen to the album rasassination, i believe the song is called "interview with a vampire". in it he has a conversation with both the christian god yahweh and satan the devil...very interesting and introspective.

in response to your other list...mos def is tight, what more can i say...i liked xzibit a lot better before he hooked up with dre (likwit crew xzibit is far better)...wsc, i'm assuming westside connection, is overrated. ice cube is past his prime and should stick to acting, unless he returns to being more conscious of his lyrics, a'la "death certificate"...mack 10 is the weakest link in their chain...i liked wc better when he was in low profile, and then in the maad circle (most notably their first album, "ain't a damn thing changed". his flow/delivery drastically changed after that album.).

that "gangsta" rap s#!t is boring, its high time they cut it out. it doesn't even sell as well as it did in the early nineties, how can they expect people to buy into that crap.

*steps down from soap box*

madsci
hip hop purist

h0ck3yh0rr0r
madsci have u heard Van Gogh by Ras Kass. thats some tight shit man.

madsci
i'm sure i have, just can't remember how it goes...preparing for finals is racking my brain.

has anyone heard if the golden state warriors (xzibit, ras kass, and saafir) are still working on an album? supposedly, it was to be released on xzibit's new label "open bar" records.

madsci
hip hop purist

h0ck3yh0rr0r
not sure man.

metal face
THROUGH THE WIRE!

haha

smith loves kanye

he has his poster over his bed

and out of hockeys mentions i dont listen to none of em so....

STILL DRE

h0ck3yh0rr0r
aight...

dre got new album comin out dec 22 i think called detox or somethin. sorry if anyone posted that but i didn't read some of the past posts/threads.

John Smith
what's everbodys top 5 albums(personal top 5,not top 5 of all time)?

madsci
personal top 5 hip hop albums, not in any order...

"the unseen" quasimoto
"the antidote" lootpack
"low end theory"/"midnight marauders" tribe called quest (tie)
"business as usual" epmd
"hard to earn" gangstarr

i can listen to these albums from beginning to end, without skipping a track. that's how i know these are my favorites.

madsci
hip hop purist

h0ck3yh0rr0r
hmmm what ever happened to Trick Daddy. i never liked his stuff much. anyone got news on him?

madsci
h0ck3y> please do not mention trick daddy in this thread. his type of music only frustrates and upsets me. what about your personal top five albums?

madsci
hip hop purist

h0ck3yh0rr0r
aight sorry about that. some guy at school was talkin about him. i just never liked his stuff. just wanted to know ur opinions. i can see they are same as mine. lol

hmmm i dont really have top 5 albums but ill think of some and post later. smile

John Smith
TRICK LUH DA KIDZ

my personal top 5 would prolly be

mf doom "operation doomsday"
tribe called quest "midnight marauders"
john smith "john smith's blunderbus or "in transit""
quasimoto "the unseen"
common sense "resurrection"

resurrection would probably be my fave out of those 5

John Smith
oh,and metal face...

put down that gay ass "black album" by jay-z you bought and stop hating on tribe.you're never gonna be a gangsta like jay-z,get over it man

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i didn't really like jay-z's black album.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
soul on ice- Ras Kass
good album

metal face
hahahaha

trick does love the kids

hey hey, the black album is aight

i bought blackstar for street cred

MANDLEBAUM

TUPAC RESURECTION!

h0ck3yh0rr0r
lol

hmmm i wonder what trick is doin right now...

h0ck3yh0rr0r
anyone have any news on Chino xl?

madsci
merry christmas to all the hip hop heads...i hope you all get what you want... and more importantly, i hope you all receive gift receipts to return what you don't. i sure hope i do.

i don't know what happened to chino xl...he was good, but i was never really into his music.

in an earlier post, i asked if anyone had heard/had a song by quasimoto, featuring madlib, called "i spark the la". i found it online. it's a dj design record called "sparkdala", with the song by the same name. has anyone heard this recording, or even better, have this record? i just wanted a possible review, despite the fact that i still am going to buy it.

have a great christmas everyone, and don't forget to listen to run-dmc's "christmas in hollis" to make it a true hip hop christmas.

madlib
hip hop purist

h0ck3yh0rr0r
merry christmas guyz.

madsci
hip hop... i'll always love her.

the thread is back from the dead. i may have already posted this, but for a good online radio station, check beatbasementcom. anyone with a mac can get it online through itunes. otherwise, i believe you need to sign up with their site.

anyone know any other good radio sites?

madsci
hip hop purist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.