Obi-Wan as Ben

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedimaster3838
I was watching ANH last night and rememered that Obi-Wan tells Luke that he hasn't gone by OB1 since before he was born. Does that mean the name changes before Luke and Leia are born? It would appear so. And another thing I noticed is Vader says to OB1 "You should have not returned." Does this mean that Anakin/Vader knew of OB1 going into hiding and just didn't care because he knew OB1 wouldn't become involved?

Ratcat
In answer to your second point, maybe Anakin/Vader can not bring himself to kill Obi Wan ("There is still goo in him" Luke says) and instead sends him intio an excile of sorts and tells the Emporer he is dead?

theEviljedi
Here's a thought.Why would Obi-Wan be called Old Ben when he is only 35 when the twins are born?

Darth Daft
Yes thats very possible. I could imagine Vader doing that.
And as for the name-changing thing, yes, its likely that Obi-Wan will mention his decision to change his name during Episode 3.

Ratcat
Obi Wan Kenobi is a hero of the Clone Wars, whilst Ben Kenobi is a recluse living out near the Dune Seas of Tatooine. The name change is obviosly part of obtaining a level of anonimity.

Darth Daft
But I wonder why he changed Obi-Wan to Ben instead of changing Kenobi to something else? Surely it would be harder for the Empire to find him if his surname was different. Thats how it would be here on Earth. If you wanted to hide from someone you wouldn't change from John Smith to Bob Smith would you?

Ratcat
Your analogy kinda destroys your question. Smith is by far one of the most prevelant names in the UK and possibly a few othe rplaces as well. Maybe Kenobi is the same. Unlikely but possible.

Darth Daft
Yeah it was just an example I used though. Forget I said Smith then. How about Christadooloo? laughing out loud Thats the surname of someone I know.

I guess you could be right about Kenobi being a common surname though. Antilles is, so Lucas might make a point that Kenobi is too.

Dim
I don't think Kenobi is a common name...Do you really think there's some grand reason why he changed his name...I think Ben's just a nickname...maybe Anakin even gave it to him..

Ratcat
Hey, DD I hope you're not taking the mickey out of my moms maiden name!!!!!laughing out loud

Dim
Hmmmmm, that's the most bizarre name I think I've (maybe) ever heard...big grin

Ratcat
Yeah DD, I can see your point. Hand's up who believes this will NEVER be addressed by Lucas?

Darth Daft
<Darth Daft raises his hand>

And for those who were wondering, Christadooloo is a Greek name.

Ratcat
Make me wrong then, I was thinking it would have African origins.

queeq
If it's Greek, it was probably once spelled as Christadoulou. Then it's not that weird anymore.

queeq out

Ratcat
Well, it's all greek to me, laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud <Falls of chair>

queeq
*helps RC back on his chair*

There, I hope you didn't hurt yourself. You have got to be more careful.

queeq out

Ratcat
Thank you. <Dusts himself off>

Anyway, back to the plot...

Obi Wan/Ben must have stayed on Tatooine to watch over Luke from afr, if he's been running from vader he would have gone much further. Tatooine may be in the outer rims but it's by no means the remotest place in the galaxy.

queeq
Well, there was a theory that Vader must have hated Tatooine so much, because of his past and maybe his mother dying, that Tatooine would be the last place he'd go. Personally at least. Makes sense. Sort of..

queeq out

Ratcat
Hmmm, I guess.

On the name changing front why let Luke keep his name? He was just a kid, why not give him the name Lars?

queeq
That has me puzzled too. Maybe Ben/OB1 considers Tatooine such a safe place, that it's allright for Luke to keep his name. His Force abilities may help him to find out that the Larses are not really his parents. And to prevent Luke from getting mad and turning to the Dark Side and all, they just leave him be as a nephew living with his aunt and uncle. Of course OB1 comes around and lies to him again but that is a whole different story.

queeq out

Darth Daft
I guess it sounds better if we all know him as Luke Skywalker. If we knew him as Luke Lars in ANH then we would want to call him that in the rest of the trilogy and that wouldn't go as well with the fact that Darth Vader's name is Anakin Skywalker. If they had different surnames then it wouldn't make the father-son relationship quite as strong.

Ratcat
Ah, you mean like a ploy point. Got ya!

Darth Daft
Plus the fact that Luke Skywalker just sounds so much cooler than Luke Lars.

Ratcat
Luker Lars sounds like a confused Teletubby

queeq
Hehehehe. Luke Skywalker it is...

queeq out

Ratcat
I wonder just how Owen, Padme. OB1 and Shmi/Anakin end up meeting
together? What is the relationship.

queeq
There's a rumour Cliegg Lars (Owen's dad) marries Shmi, making
Owen Anakin's stepbrother.

queeq out

Ratcat
Not entirely impossible I guess. That makes it easier to place
Padme, Obi Wan and Anakin on Tatooine then. Visiting the new
inlaws and all that. Probably more to do with protecting Padme
from assassins as well though.

queeq
Maybe Padme and OB1 go along with Anakin when he cashes in on
his promise to free the slaves. And that includes of course his
mother.

queeq out

Ratcat
I think that's a given, but as J said the slaves may already
be freed????

Darth Daft

queeq
Maybe it's Obi-Wan's, but then again he and Owen are most probable to have some kind of argument down the road. "He's just a crazy old wizard." and "He didn't hold for your father's ideas, felt he should have stayed here and not follow old Obi-Wan on some damn-fool idealistic crusade."

Thinking about it, I think it must be Padme he takes a liking to.

queeq out

Darth Daft

Jedi Mercenary
whoops, I accidentally posted this in another topic:

maybe Ben is Obi-Wans clone

Dim
Yes, but don't you think that one of them would need to be well versed in politics so that they would have the need connections to form the Alliance..I don't know...I don't think being a 19 year old ambassador would be very fun. This is EU I know but even Mon Mothma brings up that point in the first Corellian Trilogy book.

queeq
Let's just say it's the will of the Force. OOooooooooooooops, major bummer. smile

queeq out

Darth Daft
I wonder why Obi-Wan actually attempts to train Luke after his failure with Anakin. You'd think he'd become rather unconfident with himself and guilty, deciding never to have another apprentice, kind of like how Qui-Gon was like in those EU books set before TPM.

Jedi Mercenary
those books sucked

queeq
Good point DD. Maybe because Luke was their ONLY hope. Training Anakin was probably unwise be he committed himself for his old Master. This time he committed himself for the greater good. But he should have had some major concern over this. Maybe that's why he didn't teach him much, only play around with a remote, and let Yoda do the real work.

queeq out

Ratcat
Yeah, I think that ultimately Obi Wan would have taken Luke to tatooine, the fact that he got slice merely made it more imprtant that he go there.

queeq
To Tatooine? Isn't that where they came from? Unless you mean Dagobah. If so, it does make sense.

queeq out

Darth Daft
But is it true that he wasn't originally going to do this? It was Alec Guiness who suggested to GL that Obi-Wan should die in ANH (obviously because Alec hated the part so much) and so if GL had not have done this he wouldn't have needed to use Yoda. So would Obi-Wan still be prepared to train him completely?

Ratcat
Yeah, well spotted queeg. Must remember to engage brain before activating fingers.

DD,
There is a story that this did happen. But then OB1 comes back, albeit briefly, in BOTH sequals.

Darth Daft
I see. Thanx Ratcat. But I still wonder if Obi-Wan really could have managed without Yoda's help (and if he hadn't have died on the Deathstar of course). Won't ever be answered, but still its a pondering thought when you think of the differences between Obi-Wan and Yoda's teaching methods.

Ratcat
I think Yoda's are much closer to the "true Jedi teachings"

OB1 basically took his own life to perpetuate the Jedi through Luke. from a certain point of view!!!

Darth Daft
Do you think Obi-Wan's teaching methods will be similar in Episode 2 to what he is like with Luke in ANH?

Ratcat
Not sure, with Yoda there to guide him he should stick to the "script" a bit better but in ANH he must have been very rusty, plus he hardly got to teach Luke anything apart from defending against a remote.

Darth Daft
I know but he still gave off this certain feeling
when he explained to Luke how to use the Force. I just wonder if Ewan McGregor could pull that off in the same way.

Ratcat
He's a good actor and I know that he said in an interview that he has spent o lot of time watching the Alec Guines performance from ANH to get the nuance.

Darth Daft
Yeah I agree he is a great actor, but I wasn't quite impressed by his accent. I know it's probably hard for a Scottish guy to pull it off just right, but it sounded too fake and over-rehearsed to me. Not relaxed enough if you know what I mean.

Jedi Mercenary
didn't he die??

queeq
Huh?

About OB1's accent, I agree with it sounding not too great. But then again, a lot of dialogue was very "acted" as well, if you know what I mean. I felt Neeson's delivery of lines wasn't all that great either. I think it's a directing thing and I sure hope GL does a better job this time. Also to make his actors feel more comfortable and aware of what they are playing.

queeq out

Darth Daft
JM, if you're referring to Alec Guiness then yes, he did die a short time ago in August.

I agree Queeq, many of the actors seemed to just sound like they were reading lines off the paper, especially Captain Panaka. Queen Amidala's strange accent was very poor and not a wise decision by GL if you ask me. I hope she just sounds normal in the next 2 films.

queeq
Strangely enough, however odd I found Amidala's accent, I never really mind it. The switching between a formal, somewhat British sounding, tone of voice vs. "normal" American was kinda fun. But then again, GL could have gone for the tone of voice Carrie Fisher had in ANH as Leia.

queeq out

Ratcat
Natalie said something in an intervuiew recenbtly about *that* voice and how it would not be present in the new film, more like her normal voice.

Darth Daft
Yeah I heard that too, only it was at Supershadow.com so I decided not to mention it.

Xantos Clone
hey gang! I'm glad someone mentioned the accent! this is all done for a reason...the accent you are talking about is actually an idea that is used in ANH by princess Leia. If you notice, it's kind of her 'leader' or royaly voice.

I read something about this in a history book once that leaders of royalty often use this when addressing a crowd or adversary...

I'm not clear why, but i think GL was showing how they put on their 'big girl' voice or 'leader voice' if you will. Listen to Leia in ANH...she does it too! at times, she will drop the accent...

I wish I knew more about it, but it has somthing to do with actient customs from our own history....

Ratcat
Very true XC, In ANH & TPM it's almost a very bad British accent as i that will make them sound more regal (How 1970's is that!!!) but in ESB and ROTJ leia slips back to a more Amaerican accent, though still not her own , normal drawl.

DD, I actually got that from a recent interview in the britsi Sunday Times, probably one of the most reputable British newspapers.

queeq
But Carrie Fisher was better at it than Natalie Portman I think.

queeq out

Darth Daft
Carrie Fisher does indeed sound quite English when she says that line, "I recognised your foul stench when you came onboard," to Tarkin. I agree that she does the accent better than Portman.

Did anyone notice that in the trailer for TPM, they had not yet used sound technology to lower Portman's voice, so when she says, "get to your ships!" she sounds higher than when she says it in the film.

Ratcat
Yes, now that yopu mention it. Taking this on to it's next layer I wonder if similar things will be seen in the EpII trailer where certain effects have not happened.

queeq
Probably, I bet they will be working on the film until the very last day, which means the trailer will consist of finsihed shots or almost fnished shots. One of the funny things in the TPM trailer was the missing reflection of Maul's lightsabre when fighting OB1.

queeq out

Jedi Mercenary
you noticed that??

Darth Daft
And you'll also notice that John Williams had not yet finished the score for TPM, so the trailer just used music from the OT.

Ratcat
Yeah, I didn't notice that until I rewatched the trailer after seeing the film.

I actually thought bthat Ewans accent was pretty close, but then I'm just a crazy Brit!!!!

queeq
I liked it that they used music from the OT. It was as if they were saying: "Look, it's the same story. Now you get more of it." Maybe TPM music may have alienated us a little from the saga.

About the lightsabre reflection, I didn't notice it myself. Other SW buffs who seem to have not much else to do in life, pointed it out to me.

queeq out

Darth Daft
I agree with you about the music. I hope they use OT music in the Episode 2 trailer.

queeq
I don't know. I wouldn't mind if they use Duel of the Fates in the trailer.

queeq out

Darth Daft
Hmmm, I don't know. Maybe in a dark trailer for Episode 3 that would work but not in Ep2 trailer. IMHO OC.

Gundark
I think GL will connect the "main theme" to any trailer for ep2 and ep3 to distinguish it as SW, to like, grab the viewer's attention if they're in the kitchen making a snack during a commercial. Then if you're like me, you'll spill salsa on the counter, come running into the living room like a maniac with the labs barking at your heels, yelling to the clueless guy on the sofa with the remote, "TURN THAT UP!!! DON'T CHANGE THAT!!! DON'T BLIP!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!

(Gundark falls on floor, face inches from the screen, drooling profusely and screaming, COOOOOOOOOOOOL !!!)stick out tongue

Darth Daft
I know exactly what you mean Gundark. Seeing the trailer for the first time is a really cool and exciting experience and it's so hard trying to take in all those tiny little pieces of footage from the film and trying to wonder what they may mean.

queeq
Oh, Gundark! The trailer probably comes up on the internet as well so you can run and rerun it as much as you can. One advice though, don't drule on your keyboard.

queeq out

Jedimaster3838
I know the film isn't due for another 500 some odd days but when will the real trailed be made. My guess is next years superbowl will be the 1st time we see it. Man, I can't even wait for the trailer.

queeq
Hopefully about six months before it comes out. Probably november or december 2001.

queeq out

Gundark
Good point, queeq, but its BIGGER on the tv screen than on my monitor. And I'll try not to drool on my keyboard, although I still have part of a pizza goldfish stuck down in there. stick out tongue

Dim
Actually is should be out at Thanksgiving 2001...smile

queeq
Pizza goldfish? Where can I order one? Sounds yammy... smile
queeq out

Gundark
Dimmy, I can't wait that long !!! WWWaaaaahhhhhhh!!! (Gundark does her best crying Wookiee impression rolling on floor laughing )

Pepperidge Farms makes goldfish. Pizza, Parmesan, Cheddar, Pretzel and something else, I think. My yellow lab can jump two feet in the air and snap them up like flies. cool

Dim
Heheheh...someone's going to have to learn some patience. laughing out loud

I don't like those little goldfish...they keep calling to me...

queeq
Gundark scares me a little bit. I saw your pic and you DID look human. I'm beginning to doubt that now. smile

queeq out

Ratcat
I hope I can get DSL or something fater than a modem before the trailer appears. It took me 3 weeks to get a copy of the trailer last tiome just because so many people were trying to download it in one go.

On the subbject of Pizza Toppings, when I was on hols Pizza Hit were doing a cheeseburger pizza. It was kind like a pan pizza base with a the contents of 2 double whoppers with cheese all over it. Was very tasty..... I miss Florida. sad

Gundark
Mmmmm....Pizza the Hutt.

Queeq, why do I scare you ? Cause I like eating goldfish ? Hey, at least I chew them and eat them instead of swallowing them whole like those crazy college guys. rolling on floor laughing

Ratcat
Didn't you know that Pizza Hut constitutes one of the four major food groups?

Pizza Hut
McDonald's
KFC
& Burgerking.

laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud

Now goldfish pizza, beats anchovies I suppose.

Ok, ok, it was off topic but it made me laugh and today's been pretty depressing so far.....

Dim
You're wrong dearie smile

The four major food groups are

McD's (Jack In The Box and Burger King will do in a pinch)
Taco Bell
Little Caesars
(The closest) Chinese Takeout place

smile smile smile smile

Gundark
CHINESE TAKE-OUT RULES !!!!

If those goldfish irritate you Dim, try Dolphins and Friends. They're in the supermarket right next to the goldfish. Yummy ! We're having tacos tonite. cool

queeq
Hmmm, lots of "dears" on the forum all of a sudden.

Anyway Gundark, your food preferences don't really scare me. The way you eat and play with it strikes me as a little...er...alien. But maybe that's just a culture thing, me being from another country and all.

BTW Can anyone tell me where I can find the codes for the different smilies. I can only remember this one smile

queeq out

Ratcat
Oh dear or dear, yet another person who has problems with rwading what's in front of them. laughing out loud

When you post a message or replay, look down the left hand side and you will find a link called "Use Emoticons" Click it and a new window opens with all the emoticons codes. smile

Dim
I had McD's for dinnerrolling on floor laughing

I don't go to the grocery store Gundearie..smile

queeq
Dim's our health freak, as you can see.

Thanks RC for the tip and sorry for not seeing the blatant obvious. I would never have made the connection between "Emoticons" and smilies without your irreplaceable help.

So let's see, what do we have.

For Dim stick out tongue
For RC eek!
For Gundark wink

queeq out

Ratcat
Well I never pay for McDonald's so there!!! stick out tongue

I wonder if they will do any Star wars toys soon?

Dim
I'm doing better...I drink apple juice now...that's almost like eating fruit smile

queeq
So you drink what you should eat? Rrrrrrrrrrrrrright.

Can I take you out to dinner sometime to get you some decent vitamins, minerals and other so-called healthy stuff?

queeq out

Dim
Yes....please hurry, I'm hungry...

queeq
Get a job, you lowlife.... wink

queeq out

Dim
Hey, you offered...now, get over here and feed me! laughing out loud

queeq
Ding dong

queeq out

Gundark
Don't answer the door, Dim, its only the Avon Lady. stick out tongue

queeq
Hurry up. It's getting cold. And not just the food... brrrr.

queeq out

Gundark
Queeq, dear, I say, do tell us whats on the menu? (Gundark uses her best British accent). laughing out loud

Ratcat
Because so many British people start there sentences with "I Say" mad

queeq
Oh good golly, me, Gundy dear. I say, there no need to inform you what's on the menu. It's for Dimmy here, not for you. So, chop chop, away with you. Tally ho.

queeq out

Ratcat
Now please excuse me while I go order the butler around for a bit.

queeq
Go right ahead, matey. Let's push this extraordinary little thread of our here to an utterly new record of posts. Allrighty then, here's my bit. It's all yours now, RC, old man.

queeq out

Ratcat
Diiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmm! He's doin' it again.... laughing out loud

Darth Daft
Oh well. Time for another lightsabre duel I guess.

<Darth Daft activates his yellow lightsabre>

Dim
Hehehe..is it "Pick on the Brit's day?" laughing out loud

Okay...where's my Ding Dong?

queeq
*ignites light razor to battle the illustrious RC*

Chocks away, mate. Your feeble powers are no match for my beard.

Ding dong ding dong ding dong.
It's cold now.

queeq out

Dim
Oh, it's just a door bell...I thought I was getting a Ding Dong..

*opens the door and draggs the frozen queeq in*

queeq
*Dims eats frozen food and drops dead*

Ding dong the witch is dead, the wicked witch is dead. laughing out loud

queeq out

Gundark
Hey, who let those flying monkeys in??? smokin'

queeq
They were Dim's pets. Now, I'm going to kill 'em all.

*bang bang*

Hihihihihihi.

Anyone like monkey stew tonight?

queeq out

Gundark
Oooohhhh...beware the monkey man. I'll pass on the stew, queeq...even I don't get THAT wierd with my food !!! laughing out loud

Ratcat
Oh well...

<Ratcat pulls a thermal detonator from his pocket and hits the arm button>

Get out of this one!!

queeq
*queeq picks up the thermal detonator, puts it in his mouth and waits for it to explode. His cheeks suddenly blow up really far and then... it's all over*

There.

Next!

queeq out

Gundark
Now queeq talks like he just sucked in helium.

queeq
Cool, eh? That's my version of the Smurfs. If you give me some quesadilla's to swallow I'll sing like Liberace!

queeq out

Ratcat
I don't know what you just swallowed but the Thermal Detenator is still sitting in my hand.

You have 3 --- 2 --- 1 --- BOOM!!!!!!

Dim
Funny....I don't feel dead *sticks her ghostly head into queeq's belly to see what he swallowed*

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwe!

Ratcat
Uh huh.

And that's the end of that chapter...

<swishes white skarf over shoulder>

Gundark
Chapter Two....Gundark, out of jalapenos, begins feeding queeq rolaids. rolling on floor laughing

queeq
*queeq starts jodelling*

queeq out

Dim
Oooooooooooooh kay...this is a good place to close this thread laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.