Elvish Children

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sauron
how do elves begin

not the first ever elves created by illuvatar

but like how are they born

eldarion
Good question!

sauron
because they cannot begin as we do, as they do not age physically so that would mean they would have to grow to adulthood then just stop, which is impossible so erm..........

eldarion
Yeah. The only reason I could think of that we didn't see any pregnant elves (if that happens) in LOTR is maybe because the elves knew that their time was almost up on middle earth so they were waiting...? Anyway, this totally doesn't answer your question but its just a thought.
Also, did you all know that orcs are corrupted elves (generally known) and that trolls are corrupted ents(less known)?
I do known, however, that elves are reincarnated after they die. But possibly not on middle earth?

sauron
they go to valinor, the undying lands, and live there, men also have an after life, but none save for illuvatar know of it,

i knew about the orc and troll thing, i learned of trolls by treebeard,

if orcs are corrupted elves right, they would have had to catch elves and mutate them, well in the case of trolls and ents, is this the entwifes fate of which no-one knows

eldarion
ooooooooo! Yeah, that would make so much sense!

sauron
im proud of thinking about that, because if you think the entwives went to the east didnt they ?

shaber
I think Entwives may not have been as strong as Ents, more like shrubs than tree. I got the impression that Trolls are not of the same substance as Ents, as the Ents are stronger, being, "the very bones of the earth." The trolls must be artifical creatures.

shaber
I think that we would also avoid old age if we did not suffer the effect of free radicals. Adulthood is our prime, if we reached our prime without aging, then we would not grow "older" than adulthood.

pinksuezo
trolls are not corrupted ents, people...

trolls were corrupted by melkor (i think) from some naturally occuring middle earth dumb brute animal, in IMITATION of the ents, so that the bad guys cud have a giant warrior in their arsenal, too, tho the trolls are compared to the ents as the orcs are compared to the elves in terms of strength etc.

eldarion
Re: Trolls/Ents
Oh, well, I read that in some notes that Tolkien wrote on the subject, so...I think he'd know!

eldarion
Since Toliken stated that nothing evil can be created, a physical being must be corrupted to "become" evil.

Ariadne
Trolls aren't corrupted Ents. They were created by Melkor and are said to be made "in mockery of the Ents." So while they're supposed to be a little similar, they are completely different species.

turin
well forsure trolls arent from the entwives since trolls were in existence long before the entwives disappeared. as for the origins of trolls, yes they were made in mockery of ents, but from what? well it says that melkor cant create something wholy new so he would need something to start with, so one could assume he started with an ent. But then theres the issue of dragons, they seem to be pretty well independent and created with no starting refrence, i.e. orcs from elves. Tuff Question. my guess would be that he didnt use a ent and corrupted it as he did of elves, but perhaps he knew of the ents existences and from that knowledge he created trolls.

turin
also, there have been many elf children through out the histories for instance arwen had to be a child at some point, but i think i read somewhere that they are so alike to human children that they can easily be mistaken, but they mature more slowly. I agree with the point that someone else made when they said that the elves of LOTR are probably waiting to see what happens, perhaps because they dont want to bring a child into middle earth the way it is.

bLooMiLiCioUs
well i heard that yeah,they do stop chaning in appearance when they reach their prime.

samIam
then what about Elrond? ( well in the movie any way ) I thought he looked ALOT older why?

sauron
well because he has lived through and seen alot of evil, after all he was around when morgoth was present, and he has seen sauron attempt to rule middle earth twice

bLooMiLiCioUs
i guess it's like in the harry potter world they DO grow just that it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow that they literally dun die???

Kitoky
Um...in my odd opinion in this thread... Young Elves are like human children when they are young, but they take a long time to mature and all that hence how long elves really live without slaughter. I believe, and this I'm not sure, but I think the young elves are considered at adulthood when they live to 200 - 500 years old.

What Turin said about the troll's creation from the thought of Ents was right. Elrond is about I estimate, around 3,500 years old, because he has fought in the Last Alliance, You have to think that since Elrond married Celebrian then that makes Galadriel much much much older, because in the Silmarillion, they said something about how Arwen considers Galadriel her great grandmother, I don't remember exactly, this might be wrong.

Well that's a bit off topic so now I'll take my leave.

bLooMiLiCioUs
yeah that's what i meant!!!!!!lol my english fails me at timesembarrasment
nah it's not off topic -we WERE talkin abt the absence of elvish children weren't we?

samIam
I was reading the appendix today and found this I thought might help

it is talking about Aragon and arwen and the 2nd time aragon saw her.

" She was changed little,for her mortal years had passed her by; yet her face was more grave ...etc"

I hope it helps
lem

sauron
well galadriel is very old as she came to middle earth from valinor

turin
yes galadriel is very old, but cirdan is even older and atleast with galadriel you can take a guess at her age but not so with cirdan. what i mean by that is galadriel was born in valinor, whereas cirdan was around before the elves even departed for valinor.

Kitoky
Yeah, Cirdan is a VERY old elf. He's kind of like the elf who controls who comes and goes to the Undying Lands. Am I right? Galadriel is the only elf in Middle Earth that actually knows what Valinor is like.

Exa
backtotopic...

Elven children are born like humans, and in the beginning they also look practically the same (save maybe that the ears are more leaf-shaped).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.